1. What day is my rubbish pickup?
    Mayfield Village offers curbside rubbish removal recycling services to residents free of charge. Currently, our trash hauler is Kimble Companies. Rubbish and recycling is picked up on Mondays and Tuesdays (click here for street list). HOLIDAYS THAT WILL AFFECT PICKUP include New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day and Christmas Day.  When a holiday falls on a Monday, the Monday collection will be on Tuesday and the Tuesday collection will be on Wednesday. When a holiday falls on Tuesday, there is no change for residents on the Monday route and the Tuesday collection will be on Wednesday.

  2. I want to recycle, what are my options?
    Kimble provides each residence with a 64 gallon toter for recycling. Call Kimble Companies at 1.800.201.0005 for replacement if damaged. (Only one toter per household). At various times during the year, Mayfield Village participates in recycling round-ups sponsored by the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District. Special items such as paints, pesticides, tires and computers can be dropped off by residents at the Service Dept. on designated dates. Look for notification about these events in the Voice of the Village and on the Village marquee at the corner of S.O.M. Center and Wilson Mills Roads. Unfortunately, curbside service is not currently available for apartment residents.

    An ABITIBI paper recycling container is available in the parking lot at St. Bartholomew's Church at 435 SOM Center Road and a recycling container for bottles and cans is located behind the Fire Station.

  3. How do I dispose of used motor oil?
    Containers containing motor oil may be dropped off at the Service Department at 610 SOM Center Road.  Please place the containers next to the large tank at the rear of the Service Building.

  4. How do I report a non-working traffic signal?
    Contact the Police Department at 440.461.1234

  5. How do I report a non-working street light?
    Contact First Energy at 1.800.589.3101. Be sure to report the exact location of the pole (address if possible).  Please note that repairs to street lights are made by First Energy and can take up to 10 days.

  6. Who should I call when the power goes out?
    Please do not call emergency dispatchers. 9-1-1 is only to report emergencies. Call the Illuminating Company’s Automated Outage Reporting Line at 888.544.4877 to report the outage.

  7. Who should I call if I’m having a problem with a utility company?
    Complaints can be filed with the Public Utility Commission of Ohio (PUCO) by calling 800.686.7826 or log on PUCO’s website at http://www.puco.ohio.gov.

  8. Who should I call about a pot hole or other road repair?
    Contact the Service Department at 440.442.5506 between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.

  9. How often are Council Meetings held?
    Council meets twice a month on Monday evenings at 7:00 p.m.  as scheduled at the Mayfield Village Civic Center, 6622 Wilson Mills Road, Mayfield Village, OH  44143. You can find the schedule for the current year here.

  10. Who should I call if water is backing up in my basement through a floor drain or basement toilet?
    Contact the Cuyahoga County Sanitary Sewer Dept. at 216.443.8201. They will respond to determine if the main sewer line is functioning properly and if there is a blockage.

  11. Who should I call if there is a dead animal in the road?
    Contact the Service Department at 440.442.5506 between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.

  12. Where do I go to pay a ticket?
    Lyndhurst Municipal Court at 5301 Mayfield Road, Lyndhurst, OH  44124

  13. Where can I get a dog license?
    For license information contact Cuyahoga County at 216.443.3513 General Services - Dog License Department Room 121, 1219 Ontario Street, Cleveland, OH 44113 or http://fiscalofficer.cuyahogacounty.us/en-US/Dog-License.aspx for information.

  14. What should I do if my tap water is brown?
    Call the Fire Department at 440.461.1208 to see if there is hydrant flushing going on in your area.  If not, call the Cleveland Division of Water trouble number at 216.664.3060.

  15. What is Shred Day?
    The Village sponsors a Community Shred Day annually and hires a shredding company which sets up in the Civic Center parking lot.  Residents are permitted to bring up to five boxes/bags of personal paper for shredding.

  16. Where do I go to vote?
    All Mayfield Village residents vote in our Civic Center located at 6622 Wilson Mills Road.