Caucus: February 5th 2018

MINUTES OF A COUNCIL CAUCUS
Mayfield Village Civic Hall - Mayfield Village Civic Center
Monday, February 5, 2018– 7:00 p.m.

The Council of Mayfield Village met in Caucus Session on Monday, February 5, 2018, at Mayfield Village Civic Hall in the Mayfield Village Civic Center.  Council President Saponaro called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.

ROLL CALL:          

Present: Mr. Marquardt, Mr. Meyers, Mrs. Mills, Dr. Parker, Mr. Saponaro, Mr. Schutt, and Mr. Williams

Also Present: Mr. Coyne, Mr. Wynne, Chief Carcioppolo, Chief Edelman, Mr. Marrelli, Mr. Metzung, Mr. Cappello, Mr. McAvinew, Mr. Thomas, Ms. Wolgamuth, and Mrs. Betsa

Absent: Mayor Bodnar

COUNCIL PRESIDENT:

  • iPads for Council (Presentation by Jeff Thomas)

Council President Saponaro stated, Mr. Thomas is here to present and to respond to any questions anyone may have.

Mr. Thomas stated, really the only questions I had were basic use.

Council President Saponaro asked, you have questions or you want to inform us of what we should be getting?

Mr. Thomas replied, what your basic wants were for the I-pads, like storage size.

Council President Saponaro stated, Mary Beth, I know you had spoken with other clerks regarding this.  Is there something you can enlighten us with and help us on?

Mrs. Betsa replied, Jeff and I have been working together on it.  I passed along the information to him.

Council President Saponaro asked, they are readers, highlighters?  This is not for personal use.  This is for calendaring.  There could be Word, but I don’t think that is necessary, but if it is part of a package, that’s fine.

Mr. Thomas stated, next month I will be bringing the server replacement up to Council.  Depending on which way we go will determine certain apps that we would need, but for the basic purchasing of the I-pads I will be giving Bluetooth keyboards and cases for them.  They have two different sizes, 10.5 or 12.9.  I would say the 12.9 would be best with the materials you will be receiving.  It’s not really that much of a price difference.  It is all Wi-Fi based as opposed to cellular.  I did pricing for 7.  For 7 of the 12.9, you are looking at around $6,200 and that covers everything.  For the 10.5, you are looking at $5,100.

Council President Saponaro stated, I don’t believe that everyone on Council does want one.

Mr. Thomas stated, I wasn’t sure, so I priced out 7.

Council President Saponaro asked, so we could do a not to exceed?

Mr. Thomas replied, yes.

Council President Saponaro stated, I know two or three do not want I-pads.  Who is not interested in an I-pad?  Bill?

Mr. Marquardt replied, no.

Council President Saponaro asked, Patsy?

Mrs. Mills replied, no.

Council President Saponaro asked, Steve?

Mr. Schutt replied, yes.

Council President Saponaro asked, George?

Mr. Williams replied, yes.

Council President Saponaro asked, Steve?

Dr. Parker replied, yes.

Council President Saponaro stated, okay.  I want one too.

Mr. Thomas asked, so I will just go with 5?

Council President Saponaro replied, yes.

Mr. Thomas stated, I think the 12.9 would be the way to go.  It makes it easier to read.  It is a good size.

Council President Saponaro stated, okay, so we will prepare the requisition to go through the approval.

Dr. Parker asked, when you determine the configuration, I assume there will be some type of Word if we need it.

Mr. Thomas stated, Microsoft Word has a free app version.  Next month when I bring the new server up, I will be switching over all of our accounts to Office 365.  That is what I am looking at.  People won’t use the full Office version, but if we went that way, you would have more.

Dr. Parker stated, it has a lot more features than just word processing.

Mr. Thomas stated, right.  That’s kind of what I will determine.  I will get quotes to see where we are at.  You will have word processing, access to e-mails, Adobe.

Dr. Parker asked, when the packets come up, will there be a set organization for them?

Mr. Thomas replied, I did a test last week.  There are different ways I can do it.  I can either do bulk where it is everything as one pdf which is kind of hard to follow because you are just scrolling through.  The other way I could do it is link each individual material separate and you would just click on it and it would open up in its own tab, but you are going to have to flip back and forth which I don’t think is horrible.  It works.  It is just harder to play with.

Dr. Parker asked, will it be like a OneNote kind of thing?  Will we be able to write in the margin if we have notes?

Mr. Thomas replied, you can always open pdfs in OneNote if we have the Office 365.  I have not looked at OneNote to see if it is a free app standalone.  Individual apps are $20.  I can write that down. For the most part, it is fairly resourceful.

Dr. Parker stated, I guess the idea is to avoid having to have paper to write something down when you have the I-pad.  It would be very nice.  A lot of the schools have systems which are very different and much more than we need.

Mr. Thomas stated, there are also some programs out there that give full customizations where I could control every app that is on there.  I started looking into those.  There are a couple different ones that charge $2 per Apple device.  It would actually be helpful because we could use them  for the Fire, Building and Service Departments.

Council President Saponaro asked, so you are already using this?

Mr. Thomas replied, not yet.  As we are getting more I-pads in, it is $2 a month per device.  Right now we have about 8 out there.  It will be a fairly minimal cost.

Council President Saponaro asked, any other questions?

There were none.

Council President Saponaro stated, thank you.  I appreciate it.

Council President Saponaro stated, before we move to the next item, with regard to the 2019 calendar, at the last Council meeting when we determined the time of the Council meetings to 8:00, I had made a discussion point regarding 2019 and having Council and Caucus meetings both be at 7:00.  I asked if there was any comments anyone had that we can discuss it today.  Because when I read the Minutes it was not very clear, I think this is an item we should discuss at our next Caucus so that people are prepared to have a discussion on it.  So I want to bring that up for the March Caucus and we can talk about it if anyone wants to or we can wait.  But I just felt that in part of the Minutes it was not really clear so I want to make sure people are prepared.

I am also going to prepare and distribute a handbook based on the City of Oberlin which has a pretty nice welcome to Council handbook. It’s guidelines.  It’s not hard and fast rules.  It’s pretty friendly.  It’s also something that provides some structure and it’s a nice guidebook in case someone has questions on how things are handled.  This is something I think you can go to as a Councilperson and look at it.  In your packets in the next couple weeks, you will get this to look at for March as comments for March.  You don’t have to wait until the meeting.  If you want to handwrite it up and just fax it or e-mail it, it’s fine with me.  It’s something I think that we could all participate and look at and come prepared to have a conversation on it.

Those are two things I want to bring up as a view for the future.

  • Discussion on public records
    (Brief presentation by Law Director Anthony Coyne)

Council President Saponaro stated, for this Caucus meeting, I asked our Law Director to do a brief discussion about public records.  It’s important for us to understand the public records process especially for the newer folks but I think for everybody.  Tony, if you could present this, it would be terrific.

Mr. Coyne stated, yes, Mr. Council President, I made a copy of a very brief but succinct Q & A that’s published by the Ohio State Bar Association so I thought I would pass that out.  Basically, Chapter 149 and the Ohio Public Record’s Law is commonly known as the Sunshine Laws.  It is a succinct Q&A under the Sunshine Laws.  We are now really paying more careful attention to this because the Ohio Public Meetings and Ohio Public Records Act are to encourage the idea of openness in local self-government and public access to records and meetings and the conduct of those activities are important.   You are trying to do things in a much more transparent way. This Q&A which is published by the Ohio State Bar Association is a helpful primer for you to understand and recognize what is a public record and why it is important.

I think it is timely to have the discussion now when we think about the fact that you are looking to get I-pads for Council for example.  I-pads are electronic, but anything you store on the I-pad related to your office and whenever you look at the term office, there’s a model public records policy I will mention, although the Village has a pretty good public records policy in place.  It really is pretty comprehensive.  The last time it was updated was in 2011.  There could be a couple of changes, but I think it’s accurate under Ohio law currently.

The concept of the public office is your office as Council members and as a Council, everyone in the Administration holds a public office, so all of the records you keep, communications you have with the public internally that you record are public records.  So, if a member of the media or if a private citizen asks for you to produce those documents, you have to produce them.  The fact that they are electronic is irrelevant.  They have to be downloaded and properly produced. That request can come to the Council Clerk or as the Police Chief knows, public records are often made through law enforcement because of insurance claims or what have you.  There are different reasons why public records are sought.  Sometimes by lawyers, sometimes by members of the media.  So, it’s something that you should take very seriously. If you get a public records request, you should route it, if it is civil within the Council or the Administration, it will eventually come to me, if it is something that has to do with law enforcement, it usually goes through the Prosecutor’s office, but we get them as well.  It’s important you keep that in mind.

There are exceptions to the public records laws.  Mary Beth has a nice checklist that I got from her and this is consistent with Section 149.43 of State law.  The fact that you do have these public records that are maintained, there are certain privileges you can still keep and not have to disclose them to the media or to a citizen who is requesting that information.  Those exceptions are attorney-client privilege, court records, particularly if they have been sealed, health information that might be EMS takes someone to the hospital and it is someone famous, what were they admitted for?  What was their injury?  What were their health conditions?  That’s a violation of HIPPA to give that out and if it is part of an accident or ongoing investigation, you don’t have to give that out.  Law Department or Prosecutor’s files in litigation are not to be provided.  Information about family members of law enforcement officers are also an exception. 

Employees of the Village, if there’s a public records request made about them, they are to be notified typically unless they waive that.  Some people waive that.  All pending law enforcement investigations are also waived and that information does not have to be provided.  Infrastructure records or records that have to do with, let’s say if there is a terrorist attack in the Village or if there is going to be a safety protocol for criminal activity in the Village, what law enforcement does to respond to that, some of that does not need to be provided to the public.  That’s kind of like giving the bad guys the recipe for what they are going to do if you do something bad.  Also, security records to keep the Village safe are confidential.  Anything to do with minors has to be redacted.  Child abuse records, Social Security numbers or just about everything are now redacted, so none of that has to be provided.

Those are things I thought I would bring to your attention.  Council President asked me to do a brief overview.  The Open Records Policy of the Village is published as well so if people want to have records requested, there is a protocol that may or not always be followed about the copying cost, but when the documents are to be provided and how they are to be provided should be communicated to the person making the media request or the citizen making the request.  If it is going to be a lengthy production, a lot of documentation, we will respond back about how much time it is going to take so they understand we are not delaying getting the information out.

Under the Ohio Public Records Act, once you are requested to produce the records, there are penalties if you do not comply. It comes back to the Village.  It can also come back to an individual, but usually it comes back to the governmental entity.  Those include $100 penalty per day as to when the document should have been provided once a demand has been made.  That’s something the Court has discretion on and it is capped at $1,000 but it still can get expensive if it goes down the path of legal counsel because legal fees are recoverable in public records cases.  If you want to fight them, that’s great, but if the governmental entity loses, you have to pay the attorney’s fees for the media entity or citizen making the request.  That can be quite expensive.

The one other thing I want to remind you about is e-mails.  I always get scared about this in my practice as a lawyer.  You send that e-mail and say, maybe I shouldn’t have sent that e-mail, so you delete it.  Or maybe an e-mail you got, you should not have gotten it, so you delete it, whatever it might be.  Because you did that, if the media is requesting information on a certain matter, you can’t use “I deleted the e-mail” as an excuse.  You have to maintain your records.  So if you get enough of a deletion history in a public records request, an individual could go to the Court and make it known and if the Court thinks you are deleting the e-mails intentionally, can require you to get a forensic discovery firm, an IT firm, to recover all of the e-mails.  Whatever that cost is, that’s on you. So I just caution you about deleting e-mails after you get notice of a public records request.  It’s a really, really bad idea.  That’s something to keep in mind because people forget that sometimes.  In the old days, you would throw the piece of paper in a garbage can and no one would ever know, but the tracking of deleted e-mails can be done and it’s something to keep in mind with our new technology.  It’s kind of the world in which we live.

I recommend you look at the Q&A’s.  It’s a nice succinct statement of public records issues.  If you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them.

Council President Saponaro stated, with the I-pads we are getting, what we as Council have determined is that they will only be used for Village business.  They will not be used in any other capacity to keep it clean.  But if in the unlikely event that something happens where something is on there, through ear dropping or something that you don’t always realize something is going to load up and you do get a request, those items not related to the Village because it’s on a  Village I-pad, wouldn’t all of that be subject too?

Mr. Coyne replied, usually you request what is the public information or public document being sought.  So if it is not related, you don’t have to give it out.  It can’t be too broad.  But you still run the risk of them wanting to verify that you are producing everything and using an IT firm to do that, they are going to be looking through your I-pad.  Those are things to keep in mind.

Council President Saponaro asked, Mary Beth, you get all of the records requests and then you work with the Law Department?

Mrs. Betsa replied, yes.

Council President Saponaro asked, but you keep a log of what you get?

Mrs. Betsa replied, yes.

Council President Saponaro asked, and you report to the Records Commission?

Mrs. Betsa replied, yes.

Council President Saponaro stated, to the extent, Tony, I know that you had some other stuff in here and plus the policy we have for the Village, I don’t know if everyone has that policy.  I think we should have that.  I think we should have the exceptions list and the redaction list.   Aren’t there tips on redacting?

Mr. Coyne replied, yes.  There’s a checklist.  It’s all governed by Chapter 149 of the Ohio Revised Code.

Council President Saponaro asked, does anyone else have any questions or comments regarding this?

There were none.

Council President Saponaro stated, Tony, thank you.  This is something all of us need to make sure we are aware of so if anyone has any questions, certainly feel free to reach out to Mary Beth and she will get the information for you.

CLERK OF COUNCIL:

  • Digitizing Permanent Records

Relative to digitizing permanent records, the last time we met with Records Imaging was with Records Commission.  The Commission reviewed what Records Imaging had to offer.  Jeff was also at the meeting.  We received a contract from them to go forward with digitizing permanent records.  I would like the opportunity to forward that to our Law Director to have him take a look at it and then we can proceed if all is in order.  In the meantime, are there any questions since Jeff is here?

There were none.

Upcoming Events:

House Bill 9 Training
Friday, February 16 – Mayfield Village Reserve Hall

Registration is still open for this training session.  Please let me know if you would like to attend.

Orientation for Elected Officials – NEORSD
Tuesday, February 27 – 1:00-3:00 p.m.

I received this invitation this morning.  George Williams will be attending.  If anyone else wishes to attend, please let me know.  I have been advised that it fills up very quickly.

Local Government Officials Conference
March 22-23, 2018

Registration has not yet opened for this conference.  I will keep you posted.

Ethics Session – Ohio Ethics Committee
Monday, April 23 – Mayfield Village Reserve Hall

Thus far, I have 30 people registered for this session.  Let me know if you would like me to sign you up.

ADMINISTRATION:

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, Mr. McAvinew will be speaking to the Community Partnership on Aging renewal, but I did want to mention that we have tentatively scheduled anti-harassment training for Council and Department Heads at the next Caucus.  We thought we would have the Caucus and hold the training immediately thereafter.

Council President Saponaro asked, roughly how long is the training session?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, I am told it is about an hour.

  • 2018 Renewal – Community Partnership on Aging – (not to exceed $39,071)

Mr. McAvinew reported, this is the 2018 renewal.  Right now we have not to exceed $39,071.00.  The proposal has the contract actually being reduced this year to $28,879.00 based upon the new calculation that they provided which basically takes into consideration transportation costs being used by all of the partners.  At this time, the COG has not been able to meet to vote on this issue.  They plan on meeting in March.  It is the new Executive Director Wendy Albin’s proposal to go forward with the lower amount but at this point, the Mayors have to vote on it.

Council President Saponaro asked, any comments on this so far from anyone? I know this has been a point of discussion every year in terms of dollar value for our seniors and our residents and trying to equate those things.  It’s something we really are interested in finding out what has happened in the past, how is this really benefitting everyone in terms of the dollars.  As the dollars go down, obviously that is more attractive but still this is something people are participating in.  What does that look like from that perspective?  That’s something I want you to think about as you bring the new number back to us so we can have a discussion on that. You are welcome to talk about it now, but in the case you want to be prepared, you can certainly do that now or at another time.

Mr. McAvinew replied, I will briefly now and then get in more depth later.  The adjustment made to consider looking at what is used when it came to transportation.  Mayfield Village doesn’t really use that service.  Mayfield Heights uses the service significantly.  So when you look at the statistical numbers, they said, we need to redo the formula for all entities involved to give a true representation of what is being used by the community.  When it comes to what activities we use, I can ask Wendy to update her report to breakdown what the other communities are using it for.  Right now her report is kind of broad. At the next meeting you should have that information.

Council President Saponaro stated, I know Ms. Wolgamuth has also done this as well for us in the past.  That may be a good model to utilize because we track it from year to year.  Statistically.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, okay.

Council President Saponaro stated, terrific.  Anyone else on this?

There were no further comments.

FINANCE DEPARTMENT:

  • Budget 2018

Mr. Wynne stated, I have just some brief comments on the budget.  You all have a preliminary draft copy of the budget.

From the revenue standpoint, most of our line items are pretty constant from year to year so no fluctuations there.  We were conservative with income tax dollars.  We have been averaging between $17 and $18 million the past three years.  We only budgeted $13 million to be conservative.  We had two lines items, the Commercial Activity Tax and Local Government Fund from the State that we had to budget at -0-.  Those items were on a 7-year phase-out from the State when they went through all the budget cuts.  We ran the course of those through the end of last year.  There will be no further revenue items on those going forward so those are no longer in the budget.

From an expense standpoint, the budget you have reflects the 3% wage increase, 6.5% increase in medical costs, the capital project items that are on the capital budget and then all of the general operating expenses are pretty constant so there are no major fluctuations there.

I did meet with all of the Department Heads last week so go over the budget.  We have had a few changes that amount to about $150,000.  The biggest part of that having to do with the Mayor would like to put the Economic Development Director position back on the table so the budget reflects filling that position sometime during the year.  All of the other adjustments from the Department Heads had to do with training and the travel expenses that went along with that training.  I don’t know if anyone has any questions regarding the budget at this point in time, but that is where we stand currently.

Council President Saponaro stated, okay, so I would like to open up the floor if anyone has any questions regarding the budget at this point.  We will be doing this in three reads and there will be more room for discussion, but Caucus is where we are having these discussions, not in Finance.  I certainly welcome anyone’s input at this point.

There were no comments.

FIRE DEPARTMENT:

  • Station alerting system (B&C - $56,530.33)

Chief Carcioppolo stated, this was budgeted for last year but we ended up having some problems with the PA system and that all needed to be corrected in order to be able to make this all work.  The letter explains why there are two separate purchase orders to B&C.  The larger of the two is National Association of State Procurement Officials (NASPO) pricing.  It is a national term price contract pricing and it has to be in that amount because those specific pieces of equipment through this NASPO pricing are the only thing that may be paid for.  The other parts are odds and ends that could not be included in that so that’s why there are two separate purchase orders for that.  Are there any questions?

Council President Saponaro asked, any questions on the station alerting system?

There were none.

  • Service contract for maintenance and inspection of patient cots, loading systems and stair chairs for 2017 (Stryker Medical - $4,207.50 per year for three years – total $12,622.50)

Chief Carcioppolo reported, last year we had a one-year contract with Stryker to take care of our cots, our powerload systems and our stair chairs.  We have two of each of those devices, one on each ambulance.  The one year contract was $5,500.  This is a three-year contract.  There’s a 15% discount.  It would be $4,207.50 per year.  That would go for the next three years and it would cover the maintenance on those same devices.  Are there any questions about this?

Mr. Meyers asked, how often do they come out and service this stuff?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, they come out annually to do an annual service.  If we have an issue, we call them and they come out and whatever parts may be broken we may have to pay for them depending on what they are.

Mr.  Meyers asked, so it is on an on-call basis?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, if there is a problem, yes.

Mr. Meyers stated, okay.  Thank you.

Council President Saponaro asked, anyone else?

There were no further questions.

  • Three year service contract for newly purchased cardiac monitors and AED’s (Physio Control – $13,953.60 – billed in three installments over the next three years)
  • Service Contract – renewal to cover existing cardiac monitor, CPR machines and 14 AED’s (Physio Control - $9,900)

Chief Carcioppolo reported, this is a three year service contract for the newly-purchased cardiac monitor and AED which was approved at last month’s meeting.  By executing this now, the deal is about a 25% discount.   That $13,953.60 is a 3-year contract which would begin next year but we have to approve it for next year and the following two years now in order to get that discount.  Once the warranty has expired on the new units, that would be the annual service contract to take care of those.

Council President Saponaro stated, we could approve it, but next year we will approve it and the following year we will approve it.  We will approve the contract, but every year the expenditure has to come up, has to be approved by Council on the floor because it has to be approved as part of the budget. It would still come up and it will still need to be approved, but for your purposes, for them, the contract would be approved as a three-year contract.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, but it would be under the spending limit every year.  It comes out of our operational budget.

Council President Saponaro stated, but it is a contract.  Contracts always have to be approved because it is part of a service contract.  It’s the overall contract price.  That’s why it would be approved each year, even though it’s broken up each year?  It would be underneath the spending limit?  It’s a service contract.  So for example, if we do a change order and we did a not to exceed $10,000 and it was $10,001.28, we would have to approve $1.28.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, if it went over.

Council President Saponaro stated, if it went over. So in this case, it’s $13,953.60 and the aggregate gets approved every year until the remaining year.  It still gets approved, either through Administration or on the floor.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, I was just trying to compare this to the Tech Team contract because that was one that we discussed and we agreed it did not have to come back to the floor because it was approved.

Council President Saponaro asked, when did we agree it did not have to come back to the floor?

Chief Carcioppolo stated, I would have to go back and look at the Minutes.

Council President Saponaro stated, we will have to look at that.  It always should come back.  Even if it is a three-year contract.  It still comes back every year to get approved because it is part of that year’s budget.  It should come back.

Mr. Wynne stated, typically if the amount for that particular year is under $5,000, it does not come back.  The contract is approved now for the three years so we have the authority to have the contract in place.  But if the expenditure is under $5,000, it has not come back to Council in the past.

Council President Saponaro stated, so it only comes back if the expenditure is over.  This is where the confusion is.  Our understanding is we are supposed to approve it every year.  Is that what we are saying, it’s not the case?

Mr. Coyne replied, the Mayor’s spending limit is $4,999.99.  If it is less than $5,000, Administration would have the discretion not to bring it back to Council.

Council President Saponaro stated, but Council can make the request to have any contract come back in front of Council for approval.

Mr. Coyne replied, except if you have already entered into the contract, then it becomes purely financing it.  Let’s say if it were a $50,000 contract and it’s $10,000 a year, you might have to come back to Council to get approval to pay for the amount.

Council President Saponaro asked, but not the contract?

Mr. Coyne replied, not the contract.

Council President Saponaro stated, right.  We are separating the contract from the expenditure?

Mr. Coyne replied, that would be the appropriate way to do it.

Mr. Wynne stated, that is the way we have been doing it.

Dr. Parker stated, I just want to make sure we are clear on the verbiage here.  It says per year over the next three years.  My understanding is commencing in 2019, correct?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, correct.  Once the warranty on the device is over.

Dr. Parker stated, so if we could just clarify that the payments will begin in 2019, I would like that.  It’s unclear in the way it is worded, over the next three years.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, in the letter I wrote, it says payments would take place in 2019, 2020 and 2021.

Dr. Parker stated, if you could just for the record clarify that.

Council President Saponaro stated, so whenever we put it up for vote, we would like to see it spelled out.  Put what the amount is for each year of the contract for the three years.

Dr. Parker stated, in other words, obviously, it could have said you are billed in three installments of this amount in January 2019, January 2020, and January 2021.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, I don’t have the dates it will actually be billed.   It’s just total amount will be billed over three years commencing in 2019 to cover the devices we just purchased.

The second Physio-Control expenditure is to cover all existing devices that Mayfield Village owns which includes 10 AED’s in the Police Department, one from the pool, one from the Community Room, one from the Civic Center, one civilian model from the Fire Department.  It covers our existing cardiac monitor and it also covers our 2 CPR machines.  Last year the expenditure for our existing, that did not include Police’s AED’s last year, was $7220.  It’s only a one-year contract.  That will cover the existing equipment until we can add it on to this other three-year contract.  That would be an addendum and we will add those items on so we have one contract that covers all these devices.  They are covered under the same service provider.  Are there any questions?

Dr. Parker asked, how much have we used this service contract?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, every year.

Dr. Parker asked, do you have a number of how much we have actually, obviously, if we have one AED that needs service?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, they all have to be calibrated and serviced.

Dr. Parker asked, they come out once a year and calibrate it?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, and if there are firmware updates that they have to do, they come out and take care of it.  It also takes care of any recalls.  If we were not covered under a service contract, it would be incumbent upon us to reach out to them and have them come out and service our equipment if there is any recall information, software or firmware updates.  Any reprogramming that needs to be done, they take care of that when it is appropriate to do so.

Council President Saponaro asked, how many total AED’s do we have now?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, there’s 14 and then there’s the 6 we just purchased last month.  We don’t have those yet, so that would be a total of 20 AED’s, 2 LifePaks and then the 2 CPR machines.  That would be Village-wide, not in the Fire Department.  It’s too hard to keep track of it individually.  It would just be better to have one point person to make sure everything’s covered under a service agreement.

Council President Saponaro stated, okay, very good.  Thank you.  We appreciate it.

LAW DIRECTOR:

Legislation:

  • Parkview Recreation Complex Wages – 2018 Season
  • Summer Camp Program Wages – 2018

There are two items that will be on the agenda that need action. Recreation Complex wages for the 2018 season and the Summer Camp Program wages for 2018.  It will be recommended that they be passed as an emergency measure, in part because you have to post the positions and you will need to post what the wages will be and time is running short.

Council President Saponaro asked, can we get an understanding of the difference if anything between last year’s ordinance and this year’s?

Mr. McAvinew replied, basically, there was an increase in minimum wage for 2018.  It went up .15.  The top did not go up.  I thought the range was substantial enough for those individuals.  On the second one, the day camp, the contract with the Director, that position went up .15.  It was due to the increase in State minimum wage for Ohio.  There was no extra additional increases on those wages.

Council President Saponaro asked, any other questions?

There were none.

PARKS & RECREATION:

  • Fireworks for Fourth of July Celebration – 2018 (American Fireworks - $10,500).

Mr. McAvinew reported, this is the third year of the contract.  After this year, we will have to go seek new proposals.  The contract is $10,500.  The invoice you received has $11,000.  Disregard that.  After reviewing the contract and discussing it with American Fireworks, the actual amount is $10,500.  It has increased each year by $500.

Council President Saponaro asked, any questions on this?

Mrs. Mills asked, are you going to have it at Center School?

Mr. McAvinew replied, no.  It will be shot down at the soccer fields again.

SERVICE DEPARTMENT:

  • Tree trimming in Hanover Woods’ area (Van Curen - $15,895)

Mr. Metzung reported, this is for tree trimming in the Hanover Woods’ area. We got three bids for that.  VanCuren was the low bidder.  We need to have this done before the trees begin to bud again because they are oak trees and with the oak wilt that’s out now, you have to trim the trees while they are dormant, so we will need to get that passed so they can get out before April 1st.

Council President Saponaro asked, did you say you went out to bid?

Mr. Metzung replied, we didn’t go out to bid.  We went out and got pricing.

Council President Saponaro asked, you got pricing from vendors?

Mr. Metzung replied, right.

Council President Saponaro asked, any questions on this?  How many trees are we talking about?

Mr. Metzung replied, 187 trees.  To add to that note, with this oak wilt.  Should we ever get a case of that –

Council President Saponaro asked, what is it called?

Mr. Metzung replied, oak wilt.  It’s a fungus. Should we get that in the Village and it affects us, it could be devastating because we have so many neighborhoods that are lined with oak trees.

Council President Saponaro asked, is there a way we can do something educationally?

Mr. Metzung replied, our arborist Frank Stupczy put out an article in the VOV regarding this.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, not the current issue, the last issue.  It had diagrams to show people what to look for and what they should do.

Council President Saponaro stated, you may want to repeat it.

  • Tracking software – 2018 – connect GIS, Mobile 311 (Dude Solutions - $5875)

Mr. Metzung reported, this is the new software we began using last year called Mobile 311 with a GIS component to it.  We are looking to renew that contract for this year, $5,875.  We are finding that it has taken us a little bit to get going but we are really starting to like it now.  We have added another feature and it helps us to keep track of history.  When we first started it, it was hard to track history with each resident, but once we got into the GIS we can tie everything together.  It’s really kind of a fun little software package to work with.

  • Tree Removal for retention project

Mr. Metzung reported, we are getting prices to remove a lot of trees over there.  We need to get those down before March 30th because of the Indiana bats.  They have to be removed so come summertime we can dig the hole.  I hope to have those numbers for the Council meeting in February.

Council President Saponaro asked, any questions on any of that from Council?

There were none.

ANY OTHER MATTERS:

Council President Saponaro asked, any other questions or comments?

There were none.

There being no further matters, the meeting concluded at 7:48 p.m.