Caucus: April 2nd 2018

MINUTES OF A COUNCIL CAUCUS
Mayfield Village Civic Hall - Mayfield Village Civic Center
Monday, April 2, 2018 – 7:00 p.m.

The Council of Mayfield Village met in Caucus Session on Monday, April 2, 2018, at Mayfield Village Civic Hall in the Mayfield Village Civic Center.  Council President Saponaro called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.

ROLL CALL:

Present: Mr. Marquardt, Mr. Meyers, Mrs. Mills, Dr. Parker, Mr. Saponaro, Mr. Schutt, and Mr. Williams

Also Present: Mayor Bodnar, Mr. Budzik, Mr. Wynne, Chief Carcioppolo, Chief Edelman, Mr. Cappello, Mr. McAvinew, Mr. Metzung, Mr. Marrelli, Ms. Wolgamuth, and Mrs. Betsa

Absent: None

COUNCIL PRESIDENT:

Council President Saponaro stated, I have been making changes to the proposed self-governing Rules of Council.  You should be receiving it this week by e-mail or in packets.

CLERK OF COUNCIL:

  • Digitizing Permanent Records

The Law Department has reviewed the Agreement from Records Imaging.  I will be contacting the representative to discuss a couple of minor revisions.  The revised Agreement will be in packets for Council’s consideration.

Upcoming Events:

  • Ethics Session – Ohio Ethics Commission
    Monday, April 23 – Mayfield Village Reserve Hall

There is still room for this session.  If you wish to attend, please let me know.

  • Community Shred Day – Saturday, May 19th – 9:00-12:00

Just a reminder that Community Shred Day is scheduled for Saturday, May 19th from 9:00-12:00 in the Civic Center parking lot.

  • Summer Regional Conference Series – Ohio Municipal League – 6/29/18 Canton, Ohio

I forwarded information by e-mail on this conference.  Let me know if you are interested in attending and I will register you.

FINANCE DEPARTMENT:

MCIC meeting on April 16th:

  • Freedonia Assignment and Assumption Agreement
  • Wireless Environment Assignment and Assumption Agreement
  • Review of 2017 Incentive Grant Performance
    • QED, Freedonia, Wireless Environment, Mars Electric.

Mr. Wynne stated, an MCIC meeting is scheduled prior to the Council meeting on the 16th.  We have a lot of business to go through.  With regard to Freedonia, in early 2016, it was acquired by MarketResearch.com. We finally got all the paperwork together for them to assign their Economic Incentive Agreement to MarketResearch.com so we will have to approve that.  The same situation goes with Wireless Environment which was acquired by Ring at the end of last year and then shortly thereafter by Amazon. This assignment deals with the Ring transaction and then we will have to deal with the Amazon transaction again sometime during the year.

Council President Saponaro asked, Wireless Environment was Mr. Beams?

Mr. Wynne replied, yes.  We will have the documents drawn up by the Council meeting.  We will have those Agreements on the agenda for approval and should have it signed by all of the parties at Wireless Environment and Ring and then the same thing for Freedonia and MarketResearch.com. I will also review the performance of all four Economic Incentive Agreements and have authorizations ready for the payments that will be required under those which will be Freedonia and Wireless Environment at this time.  All items will appear on the MCIC agenda and then they will go over to the Council agenda to review the Agreements and authorize the payments.

Council President Saponaro asked, Mrs. Betsa, you are going to send out the notice for the MCIC meeting?

Mrs. Betsa replied, yes.

Council President Saponaro stated, great.

  • 2017 Audit Fee – Year 3 of 4 year contract (James G. Zupka, CPA, Inc. - $12,190)

Mr. Wynne stated, we have a 4-year contract with James Zupka, which is the CPA firm that performs our audit.  This is the third year of that contract which is $12,190.  They are done with the audit.  This is requesting Council’s approval for the amount of the contract for this year.

  • NEORSD Community Cost-Share Application for Beta Drive Storm Sewer Relief Project

Mr. Wynne stated, the Community Cost-Share program through the Sewer District is from the time that they started billing stormwater fees, 25% of those fees are set aside for the benefit of the municipalities to use on stormwater projects.  They had to be used within a 5-year timeframe otherwise they revert back to the Sewer District and go away.  At the end of February, we had about $155,000 that has been accumulated on our behalf.  We want to file a Cost-Share Application to use the funds that are being collected for our benefit to go towards the cost of the Beta Drive Storm Sewer Relief Project.

Council President Saponaro asked, do you have any written information on this?

Mr. Wynne replied, not with me.

Council President Saponaro asked, is that something you can share with us?

Mr. Wynne replied, yes.

Council President Saponaro stated, that would be great so we have something to refer back to and make sure everyone’s of the same understanding.  Does anyone have any questions on any of these?  With the audit fee, do you know what the audit fee will be next year?  Is it the same for the four years, or does it change every year?

Mr. Wynne replied, I think every year we will are charged about $300-400 more, so it might be $12,500 next year. After next year, it will be up to the State whether they want to allow us to go out to bid again or whether they are going to pull it back into their rotation and do the audit themselves.

Council President Saponaro asked, so if they do that, what does it cost us when the State does it?

Mr. Wynne replied, the price is comparable to what the independent auditors charge.

Council President Saponaro stated, okay.  And I know that we receive the draft audit, and management letter.  When does that get finalized?

Mr. Wynne replied, that won’t be finalized probably for about several weeks to a month.  That goes down to the State Auditor’s office.

Council President Saponaro asked, so it’s not anything we need to do here to finalize?  It goes down there for finalizing?

Mr. Wynne replied, the State reviews the independent firm’s work and their report and make sure they are okay with it.  Once the State signs off, then they sign off and it will be finalized.

Council President Saponaro stated, there is a typo in there.  They refer to the Mayor as “Mr.”  I think we need to make sure that is corrected.  And, can we share that with all of Council so they can look at this as well?  There were some recommendations regarding some of the policies on credit card use or some minor things.  That is what the audit does.  It looks at our policies and procedures and says these are things you can improve on and I think we generally will take that and run with it.  We will share that with everyone.

LAW DEPARTMENT:

Legislation:

  • Authorizing the filing of an application with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources for financial assistance with public recreation areas through the State of Ohio Natureworks Grant Program.
  • Authorizing Mayfield Village to enter into the Council of Government Agreement for the Community Partnership on Aging

Mr. Budzik stated, in your packet there are two legislation matters to be considered during Council.  One is authorizing the filing of the application with the ODNR.  We worked with Shane in preparing that. That is up for consideration.  The other one is the legislation authorizing the Village to enter into a Council of Government Agreement, a COG for the Community Partnership on Aging.

Council President Saponaro asked, the grant with the ODNR is that for the Intergenerational Park or is that just a general grant?

Mr. McAvinew replied, no.  The grant application is going to be for the Parkview Playground area.  It’s around 20 years of age. We are planning ahead of time. We will submit it this year and see how the funding turns out.  What we are planning on doing during that time period is to create an inclusive park like Medina, Ohio that will shadow all of the programs we offer to the community on top of the general population.  If the grant gets turned down, we get an opportunity to look it over and see where it lost points at and resubmit.  Danielle has been working very hard on putting this one together.  If we do not get funded, we will submit in 2019.  All we would basically have to do is make the corrections and resubmit and possibly get scored higher.

Council President Saponaro asked, would you make sure we get a copy of the application and all of the attachments to it?

Mr. McAvinew replied, yes.  It should be completed by mid-May. We are going to assemble what we have tomorrow and see what we have left to do. We will get a narrative.  We are waiting for the actual project from the company. We are going to meet with them and look at a couple of different places that have similar playgrounds and then go from there.

Council President Saponaro asked, does anyone else have any questions?

Mayor Bodnar stated, thank you Council President.  I just wanted to speak for a moment on the changes to the Council on Government Agreement. You have that in your packets.

Council President Saponaro asked, on the Partnership on Aging?

Mayor Bodnar replied, yes.  The Community Partnership on Aging Council of Government Agreement.  In your packets, the changes were made to Section 3 and Section 7 of that Agreement. Section 3 has to do with proxies.  They just pretty much clarify that language so it was more easily determined how you can use a proxy.  I have not used a proxy but proxies have been used at some times during these proceedings. Section 7 was the major change.  In the past, charges were assessed to each city or village on a per capita basis.  What this does is it generally will assess based on a per capita basis but they carved out the transportation costs.  Those costs after payroll are their highest costs.  Those are going to be charged on a per use basis for the municipality rather than on a per capita basis.  The ultimate effect of that is that this year our charge should be from what I can tell $28,879.  I don’t have the final bill yet, but last year it was about $38,000, so there should be a little over a $9,000 deduction in our fees.

Council President Saponaro asked, does anyone have any questions on this?  Just as a follow up on the Community Partnership on Aging, we had a planning session and now they are following up and doing part two and part three to the original planning session.  They will come back to the participating communities and provide them with a strategic plan or a proposed strategic plan for us to look at and weigh in on, so keep that in mind.  But this is one of the things they are really trying to look at so there is not inequity.  We know transportation was one of the biggest things which could make the cost go up for us.  I am glad they did it that way.  Anything else from the Law Department?

Mr. Budzik replied, no, Mr. Council President.

PARKS & RECREATION:

  • Soccer Field renovations – 3 small fields (New Vista Enterprise - $24,950)

Mr. McAvinew stated, this is a request for soccer field renovations at the three small fields at Parkview.  This is a 2018 project to go in there and redo the soil to add irrigation to soften the soil up and add a topcoat.  Last year I received quite a bit of concern from parents about the conditions of the three small fields.  We talked to five different companies and got a verbal from one company and written proposals from two companies.  The other companies did not provide a quote.  That being said, the quote that came in to complete this project was New Vista Enterprise.  They seem like they do know what they are doing.  We have worked with soccer to locate soccer off those fields for one year so that way those fields have time for the grass to grow.  They currently are going to be playing at the Library down at the High School and behind one elementary school.  I worked closely with the soccer program to make sure that everything is working for them.

Council President Saponaro asked, the fees we charge for the use of the field, I know they won’t cover the cost of this, but what do they cover the cost of?

Mr. McAvinew replied, basically ongoing maintenance.  In addition to ongoing maintenance, we get about $2,000-2,500, depending on the organization that participates, whether it’s Cobra, Mayfield Soccer or any other organization.  Also, originally it was in my budget, but Mayfield Soccer is going to purchase the six goals that are needed for the project at the small fields, two goals per field.  They do make a partnership when it comes to these types of things.

Council President Saponaro stated, okay, great.  If we could get more information that so we can see what they are contributing as well, just in writing.  It’s better for us to have a bigger picture so we know the monies we are spending and what we are getting from a lot of different folks and organizations.

Mr. McAvinew stated, they seem to help out with the large goals.  This year they are helping out with the small goals.  We don’t expect them to give 50/50 outside their realm.  I do like to work with their organization for every project because they utilize the fields.

Council President Saponaro stated, absolutely.  And we like to see the full picture of it so we can appreciate it.  We may not even think there’s any contribution going on until we are informed of it so I think it is important to make sure we are all aware of it.  Thank you.  Any questions on this?

Mayor Bodnar asked, is there a typo on the main memo?  It says $24,950 on the requisition and it says $24,950 on their written estimate and it says $24,995 on the memo.

Mr. McAvinew replied, yes, that is a typo.  It should be $24,950.

Mayor Bodnar stated, it should be $24,950 on the memo.  Okay.

Council President Saponaro asked, anything else?

There were no further comments.

POLICE DEPARTMENT:

  • 2018 SPAN dues ($25,500)

Chief Edelman stated, for our new Councilpeople, just real briefly, SPAN is supported by the five cities that make up the SPAN communities who support it financially.  Once a year, the SPAN Chiefs and Mayors get together and we discuss the budgetary needs of SPAN and once that’s done we bring it to our respective Councils for approval to release the funds to support the various SPAN units.  What I am bringing forward to Council tonight is an increase in the SPAN dues for 2018.  I forwarded a report to basically outline the needs.  I wanted to discuss that a little bit further and to give you a heads up of what the needs were for this year.  If you have any questions after I talk about this, please feel free to ask me.

There are a couple of reasons for the increase in dues this year. One is for the drug unit.  As you might imagine and if you don’t imagine it, I will tell you anyway, we have seen an increase in heroin overdoses over the past few years.  The Drug Unit was formed in 2013 to combat heroin overdoses and illegal drug use in the Hillcrest area.  They are working with the upper regional drug units, the Federal DEA, County and State agencies to combat drug use.  They have been busier and busier since they have started working. 

Last year, we started a program called Safe Passages.  I am sure most of you are familiar with that because I have discussed it at previous Council meetings.  We have had a handful of people who have entered into the Safe Passages program. So far so good.  It has been a success up to this point.  We don’t have any long-term history so far on these people.  We don’t know how far along they have taken it or what their success rate is because there are HIPPA regulations that prevent us from tracking these people on any long-term basis, but so far so good.  The people who have entered into it have stayed in it as far as we can tell.  We have not had any recidivism with the people we put into it at this point.  So, as far as we can tell, the people we have put into Safe Passages have been successful and it looks like it is working for now.

The community outreach that the DEU is doing is working extremely well.  That gives them the opportunity to not only help the people who are suffering from addiction but it also gives them the ability to start targeting the dealers who are bringing the drugs into the area.  That part of it, by itself, is becoming overwhelming to the point where they have had to put someone into the unit full-time.  Up to now, all of the SPAN units have been comprised of full-time police officers who work in the units on a part-time basis, whether it’s the drug unit, SWAT team, bomb squad, any of the SPAN units, they are all made up of officers who work on a part-time as-needed basis.  If they get a call for that unit, they go there and do what they are doing and then they come back on patrol.  They work in their units on a part-time basis.

The drug unit has become so overwhelmed that they had to put someone in there on a full-time basis.  That officer was donated by Mayfield Heights.  He’s a full-time Mayfield Heights police officer.  He was donated to go into the drug unit and work on a full-time basis.  SPAN is reimbursing his salary to Mayfield Heights, or a large portion of his salary.  What we found over the last year, he has been in there for a year, they need somebody else on a full-time basis too because the investigations into these dealers is just overwhelming.  It’s not just the people who live in the Hillcrest area, the drugs are coming in from other areas.  They find that they are chasing these people.  They are trying to keep the drugs out of the Hillcrest area but there is so much coming in that having officers in on a part-time basis just isn’t enough.  Highland Heights offered to put someone in there on a partial full-time basis.  What they are going to do is take one of their full-time detectives and put him in there two weeks out of every month full-time.  So it’s kind of a partial full-time basis.  So SPAN is going to reimburse a part of his salary as well.  That’s where part of the increase in dues comes from, just to reimburse Highland Heights for that detective’s salary.  Does that confuse you yet?

That’s part of the increase in the 2018 dues.  The second part of it is for the backbone of the SPAN radio system.  You may recall that Mayfield Village Police Department went with the 800 megahertz radio system last year.  It’s really working out well for us.  But that’s just for our Police Department.  It enables us to communicate rather well with the Fire Department and with other agencies in the area, but the basic radio system that all of the SPAN communities use is the 420 megahertz system. The backbone of that system is becoming outdated and needs repaired. That’s something that all of the SPAN communities have to chip in together to provide for the repairs of that system.  That’s the other part of the increase in dues that we have to pay for.

Council President Saponaro asked, so the SPAN communities are Mayfield Village, Mayfield Heights, Highland Heights, Richmond Heights?

Chief Edelman replied, and Lyndhurst.

Council President Saponaro asked, and Lyndhurst?

Chief Edelman replied, correct.

Council President Saponaro asked, so has there been discussion regarding each community donating or putting an officer into the program?

Chief Edelman asked, to the Drug Enforcement Unit?

Council President Saponaro replied, yes.

Chief Edelman replied, we all have officers in the Drug Enforcement Unit.

Council President Saponaro stated, I am talking about full-time?

Chief Edelman stated, we are a small department.

Council President Saponaro stated, you would have to replace a person.

Chief Edelman stated, I can’t put an officer in there full-time.  I just don’t have the staffing for it.  Highland Heights does.  Mayfield Heights does.  They can afford to take someone off of their roster and devote him full-time to that unit.  Some of us don’t have that luxury.  Richmond Heights doesn’t.  Mayfield Village doesn’t.  But those two communities do.  That’s why they volunteered to donate officers on a full-time basis.  And that’s why SPAN is reimbursing them the salaries for those officers.  There are grants available to these drug units throughout the State, but those grants typically go to full-time units and that’s why when we have applied for those grants, we have lost because we don’t have a full-time unit.  By having full-time officers in those units, we can compete on a stronger basis for those grants.

Council President Saponaro asked, so what does it take for this to turn into a full-time unit?

Chief Edelman replied, we would have to beef up everybody’s staffing throughout SPAN. We couldn’t do it just in Mayfield Village. We wouldn’t be able to.

Council President Saponaro asked, so every participating community has to have a full-time involved in that?

Chief Edelman replied, yes.

Council President Saponaro asked, otherwise it won’t work?

Chief Edelman replied, correct.

Council President Saponaro asked, so it’s adding another officer to the roster but this officer would be specifically for SPAN?  It’s increasing the budget of each of the departments for the five communities, but really they are not going to participate in that community, they are going to be dedicated to SPAN?

Chief Edelman replied, in order to make that unit a completely full-time unit, that’s correct.

Council President Saponaro asked, so let’s just go down the road, if we did that, the benefits in terms of the grants and everything, what does that look like?

Chief Edelman replied, the benefits to the Hillcrest area probably wouldn’t be worth all five communities hiring more officers.  That’s speculative. I really couldn’t say for sure because it is objective because you are kind of asking me for a crime prevention analysis.

Council President Saponaro stated, right.  I understand.

Chief Edelman stated, it’s difficult to give you a rock solid answer to that.  You are asking what benefit could a full-time drug unit give?  Probably more than they are giving us now.

Council President Saponaro stated, sure.  No, I understand from the communities they serve.  I was thinking more of even from the granting aspect of it because there are all of these dollars that are available that could help possibly defray some of the costs of increasing for these communities.  The drug problem is not going away.

Chief Edelman agreed. It’s not.

Council President Saponaro stated, it’s not going to get better.  It’s going to get worse and it is going to require more and more men and women to focus on it.

Chief Edelman stated, with regard to the availability of grant money, we are not talking about millions of dollars, we are talking about probably the reimbursement of one officer.  So even if all five communities were to increase their staffing and put a full-time officer in there, the grant amount would just offset the cost of one officer, so I don’t think it would be worth everybody hiring another officer to do that.  I know some of the other cities just would not be able to do that.

Council President Saponaro stated, sure.  Does anyone have any questions on the increase in the SPAN dues?

Mr. Budzik stated, Chief, just to make sure so that Council is aware, the dues are the same for each member?

Chief Edelman replied, yes, they are.

Mr. Budzik stated, okay, so in our case, we have a little bit smaller department than some of the other neighboring municipalities, yet our dues are the same and we collect the benefits from the use of that specialized unit.

Chief Edelman replied, we do.  In fact, even though our department is smaller, we still have two members in the drug unit, two members in the bomb squad, two members in the SWAT team.  The resources for SPAN are the same for every city involved in it.  What essentially you are gaining is what you might need it for, not what you do need it for.  So if any community needs the SWAT team at any time, it is available.  If any community needs the bomb squad or DEU, it’s available to any city that participates in SPAN.

Mr. Budzik stated, right.  It’s not a mutual aid.  It’s a dedicated unit.

Chief Edelman replied, it is.

Mr. Budzik stated, thank you.

Council President Saponaro asked, anyone else regarding SPAN dues?

There were no further comments.

Council President Saponaro stated, thank you for that thoughtful explanation.

  • Security cameras in the tunnels (Zenith Systems, LLC – not to exceed $26,900)
  • Fiber for security cameras (Everstream)

Chief Edelman stated, this is something I am actually going to ask Council’s input on.  This is something we have talked about in department head meetings.  I have had comments from residents over the years since the tunnels were open as to why we don’t have surveillance cameras in the tunnels.  People are nervous about walking down there.   We have recently put lights in the tunnels so there is actually power down there.  We have looked into different ways of doing this.  It’s really been a matter of technology.  The cameras themselves really are not that expensive.  It’s a matter of routing the data back to the Police Department.  As I mentioned in my report, we had originally looked at wireless screening of the data back to the Police Department but it was so cost-prohibitive to do it wireless with wireless routers and to have one of the cellphone providers in on this, it’s just prohibitive.

We have the active fiber ring that goes around Beta. I talked to Jeff Thomas about this.  It was just a matter of asking Everstream what it would take to extend our fiber down SOM down to the north end.  It’s doable.  There’s a monthly charge involved with it.  Our vendor that provides the security cameras said that his product is easily adaptable to fiber and it’s high definition video feed that would come right back to the police station.  I think that it’s something worth looking into and it provides a lot more security for our tunnels. The residents have been asking me for it.

What I would like to ask Council’s input on is I think I mentioned in my report that there were two levels of pricing for the fiber.  There was a three-year plan and a five-year plan.  My recommendation would be since we have never done anything like this before is to start with the three-year plan.  It’s a monthly charge of $1,800 a month.  I think it’s worth doing just to add a level of security and peace of mind for our residents who use our facilities. It would also enable us to extend fiber down the north end if at any time we decided to add that kind of connectivity down to the rec facilities.

Council President Saponaro asked, so the initial cost would be about $48,000 because you have the one-time expense of the cameras and the hardware?

Chief Edelman replied, roughly.  The cost of the hardware is not going to be as expensive as we thought because the wireless routers would not be included in that.  The vendor told me he would be able to give us a more updated quote.  He just didn’t have time to provide it.

Council President Saponaro asked, so it will be less expensive?

Chief Edelman replied, yes.

Council President Saponaro stated, okay.  Only because I could go on my phone right now. I have cameras in my yard and mini-hd security and I just look on it and it takes pictures and does all that stuff. Obviously, there has to be a level of integrity.  You have to have the data that you are able to utilize, especially in chain of custody and things of that nature where things can be altered, you have to really be careful from that standpoint if that is going to be utilized.

Chief Edelman stated, well, that’s another reason for the fiber.  It’s hard-wired. It’s always connected, always on.

Council President Saponaro stated, okay.  What’s everyone’s thoughts on this, concerns, questions?  Citizens seem to be asking for this.  I know that they have from my perspective, but what’s everyone else’s ideas on this?  Thoughts?

Dr. Parker stated, I am still not totally clear as far as why this would be more economical and couldn’t be done reliably with a wireless type of system.  It seems like everything’s going wireless. Not that we couldn’t maybe use the same fiber down there, but it just seems like a large expense when cities are transmitting single signals across the city from building to building and they go quite a distance. I don’t know enough about it.  I get what you’re saying, but this seems very expensive for the number of months that we use it and if it there was a wireless way to do it, I don’t know. Obviously you have looked into it but it just seems like wireless should work really well.

Council President Saponaro asked, this number is the wireless number?

Chief Edelman replied, the number I gave you is for the fiber.  Through Everstream?

Council President Saponaro replied, yes.

Chief Edelman replied, that’s fiber.  That isn’t wireless.  To stream a video signal wirelessly is extremely expensive because you have to have a cellular signal that’s active all the time. I don’t have the numbers here in the report that I gave you but I will provide those for you.

Dr. Parker stated, it would be good to at least have that comparison just so that we can show that this is what it was. Obviously, in 10 years it may change.  Everything does.

Council President Saponaro asked, in terms of security or integrity, is it easier to hack or take over something that’s wireless versus wired?

Chief Edelman replied, much easier to take it over if it is wireless.

Council President Saponaro asked, how do they get around that aspect of it?  That would be an added expense, firewalls and all that other –

Chief Edelman stated, we have firewalls anyway.  The firewalls at the Police Department are pretty substantial.  But anytime you have a wireless signal, it’s always easier to hack into than fiber.

Council President Saponaro stated, okay.  So if you can provide us more information on that.  I don’t think anyone’s objecting to the fact that we need it. I think it’s for the security of our citizens.  Let’s make sure we have looked at it from both sides.

Chief Edelman stated, I will get it to you before the next meeting.  That way you will have it.

Council President Saponaro stated, okay.  Any other questions?

There were none.

  • Replacement handguns (30 – Top Gun Supply – not to exceed $19,650.30)

Chief Edelman stated, it has been about 8 years since we replaced them the last time.  I don’t want to wait for any catastrophic failure.  It’s not the kind of thing that you want to wait until the last minute on.  When I first became Chief, I replaced our handguns at the time.  It’s time to replace them.  It’s time to go with a higher level quality sidearm than what we are using now.

Council President Saponaro asked, what do we do with the pistols we end up replacing?

Chief Edelman replied, what we have done in the past is we trade them into the vendor.  It’s a vendor that typically deals with police departments.  What they do is refurbish them and they will either offer them back to my officers or they will sell them to other police departments or officers.  They don’t just sell them out to the public.

Council President Saponaro asked, any questions on this from anyone?

Mr. Meyers asked, are these going to be exact replacement pistols?

Chief Edelman replied, no.  We are carrying Glocks now.  These will be Sig Sauers.

Mr. Meyers asked, is there any figure on the trade ins?

Chief Edelman replied, I don’t have that yet.  They won’t know until they see what we have.

Mr. Meyers asked, are these going to be the same caliber as what they are shooting now?

Chief Edelman replied, we are carrying 40’s now.  The replacements will be 45.

Mr. Meyers asked, is everybody comfortable with that?

Chief Edelman replied, yes.

Council President Saponaro asked, you said they are going to be replaced with what?

Chief Edelman asked, I’m sorry?

Council President Saponaro asked, they are going from Glocks to?

Chief Edelman replied, Sig Sauers.

Dr. Parker asked, why the change in the manufacturer?

Chief Edelman replied, the Glock has always been considered a mid-level quality weapon. Sig Sauers are higher quality top shelf.

Council President Saponaro asked, any other questions on this?

There were none.

SERVICE DEPARTMENT:

  • Replacement of light fixtures at the Police Department – LED lighting fixtures and bulbs (Graybar Electric Supply – not to exceed $15,271.12)

Mr. Metzung stated, we are replacing the light fixtures at the Police Department. We will be upgrading to LED’s.  The fixtures at the Police Department were not the greatest when it was constructed.  We have been going to LED’s throughout the Village.  This will go with the NOPEC grant that we did last month.

Council President Saponaro asked, are these all internal?

Mr. Metzung replied, yes.

Council President Saponaro asked, so the internal lighting fixtures and bulbs are all going to be upgraded to LED’s.

Mr. Metzung replied, correct.

Council President Saponaro asked, throughout the building?

Mr. Metzung replied, throughout the whole building, yes. Fire will be coming up after that.

Council President Saponaro asked, questions?

Mr. Meyers asked, is this just the material quote?

Mr. Metzung replied, yes.  We will be installing them.

Council President Saponaro stated, so this is material and then we are going to do our own installation.  Any other questions?

There were none.

ANY OTHER MATTERS:

Council President Saponaro asked, any other questions or comments?

Mrs. Mills stated, we have had to change the date for Arbor Day to April 20th at 9:00 a.m. at Center School.  The April 27th date, the children will not be in session.  That’s the reason for the change in the date, so it will be a week earlier.  If we want to comply with Tree City, we have to have this ceremony, right Doug?

Mr. Metzung replied, yes, you have to have an Arbor Day Ceremony.  It does not necessarily have to be with children, but it has to be a public Arbor Day celebration.

Mrs. Mills stated, so the two ladies from Garden Club that are in charge of this have really been working hard to get all this done, especially with the school, but they had no knowledge that the children would not be in session on the 27th.  We just learned that last week out of the blue.

Council President Saponaro stated, thank you for the update on that.  Any plug for the pancake breakfast?  You have all the volunteers you need?

Mr. McAvinew stated, we do have a few spots left, but are getting very very close. I have the sign-up sheet with me. Thank you.

Council President Saponaro asked, any other matters?

Mr. Williams stated, at the last Council meeting, we had a big discussion on the use of the word “emergency” in the area of ordinances and resolutions. I understand we are going to get a clarification on that.  Is that still the case?

Council President Saponaro replied, yes, our Law Department is going to provide us with a clarification memo for our Council meeting, or prior to.

Mr. Williams stated, thank you.

Council President Saponaro asked, any other matters?

There were none.

There being no further matters, the meeting concluded at 7:47 p.m.