Caucus - May 5th 2014

MINUTES OF A COUNCIL CAUCUS
Monday, May 5, 2014 at 8:00 p.m.
Mayfield Village Civic Hall

The Council of Mayfield Village met in Caucus Session on Monday, April 7, 2014.  Council President Buckholtz called the meeting to order at approximately 8:07 p.m.

(Print friendly/PDF document)

ROLL CALL:            

Present: Mr. Buckholtz, Mr. Delguyd, Mr. Jerome, Mr. Marquardt, Mr. Marrie, Mrs. Mills, and Dr. Parker 

Also Present: Mayor Rinker, Mr. Wynne, Mr. Diemert, Mr. Cappello, Chief Edelman, Mr. Dinardo, Mr. Metzung, Mr. Marrelli, Chief Carcioppolo, Mr. Thomas, Mr. Esborn, Ms. Wolgamuth, and Mrs. Betsa

Absent: None

GENERAL:

Presentation by Don Mitri – Cleveland Conservatory for the Performing Arts

I know that you may have seen me around in your building the past couple months.  I wanted to introduce myself and CPA to you because I know that there is still some misinformation about who we are.  For the record, we are not affiliated with Fairmount. We are our own entity.  The CPA is something that is sort of a three-pronged program.  It involves education, performance and community. 

The educational portion is our conservatory which is the CPA curriculum which you have in front of you. This program really is an aggressive program that challenges students and actors who have already graduated from college and are not looking to move out of Cleveland and want to pursue their professional career in Cleveland. 

The two tracks that we will be offering will be an improv comedy track which is what you would find in Chicago or L.A. and also an acting track.  We utilize the best teachers in Cleveland.  That is going to be announced a little bit later in the year. We are excited to bring this here because nowhere else in Cleveland do they even have anything that comes close to this.

For the performance side of it, there is so many things that are going to be happening in the Reserve Hall Theater as well as The Grove. We are really excited to be bringing different shows here. The first one we brought here just opened last weekend called Funnel Cakes Not Included.  It is a strange way to say it.  It is a show about suicidal depression but it’s written by an improv artist who really brings this show to life with humor.  It shows how much a person can grow from those dark reaches of depression and come out of it and be an incredible writer, an incredible performer. It’s really a wonderful show. We had a wonderful turnout last Saturday night. 

You see in front of you a show called You’ve Got Hate Mail.   We are really excited about that show because no one else has ever done it here.  No one else can do it until we do it in Mayfield Village.  We are really excited to bring that show here.  It’s had great sold out runs in New York and Chicago and is still an extremely popular show.  What’s great about this show is it is all done with a very small cast, five people and only on laptops.  It deals with a message on an e-mail that people start to believe is true.  It’s a really fun piece.  I don’t want to tell you very much about it because I am saving this because I am going to do a huge push on it. 

Lastly is about the community.  Jeff and I grew up in town.  I am a Mayfield alumni. We’ve performed here. We have made our careers here.  Myself, I have been a professional actor for over 20 years in town.  My background is more improv-comedy based training.  I have also played Tony in Tony and Tina’s Wedding in downtown Playhouse Square.  My career is engraved in this city. So is Jeff’s. We want to not just bring CPA to Mayfield Village; we want to have CPA become a part of Mayfield Village. That’s bringing shows and bringing events to this building and to this area that are going to attract not just people that are coming from outside of this community but we want people in this community to be a part of this.  I know the shows that were here with Fairmount were more children’s-based. They were younger crowd shows. We are bringing more adult-themed and adult shows for the community to enjoy.

That is where we are at.  I wanted to introduce ourselves.  If there are any questions, I would be more than happy to answer them.

Mr. Jerome asked, what is CPA’s history and where were you guys at before you hooked up with Mayfield Village?

Mr. Mitri replied, I opened a theater called Big Dawg Theater in Cleveland Heights. That was in the old Centrum Theater.  We were teaching classes and putting on and producing stand-up comedy shows as well as documentaries in our film section of Big Dawg. Unfortunately the space was never truly going to be what we wanted it to be.  We wanted a theater to put on true theater productions.  We were very lucky that that wonderful person Diane e-mailed me about six months after I sent something out and was just by chance we met, came here, saw this beautiful space and just fell in love with it and realized that this is where we really would like to bring this program.   The thing that’s kind of interesting is not many people really know about that theater unless you are someone who follows Fairmount.  We are here to change that.  We want to change that.

Council President Buckholtz stated, you have mentioned Fairmount several times and you said there were rumors flying around and none of them are true. What are the rumors?

Mr. Mitri replied, the rumor was that nobody knew who we were and the people were asking were we part of Fairmount?  We want to make sure that we are very clear on that that we are not a part of them. We are a different program altogether from them.  That was some of the questions the people were asking when they were coming into our benefit.  People were asking, is this for Fairmount and are you still a part of them? We were never a part of them. We just wanted to make sure that everybody here knows that this is a brand new program inside Mayfield Village and inside Reserve Hall Theater.

Council President Buckholtz stated, sounds exciting. Diane, do you have anything to add?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, I do not. I think so far the relationship has gone very well.  They have done a tremendous job of cleaning up the theater and basement and I thank them for that.  So far the relationship has been very good.

Council President Buckholtz asked, as of now, you are the only group using this?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, we do other things in the theater. The senior program has the movies and matinees.   There are occasional seminars or daytime activities there.  But for now, they are the group that is programming it in the evening.

Council President Buckholtz stated, I also heard you mention, since we have the grovemaster here that you may be doing some outdoor things?

Mr. Mitri replied, my partner Jeff Blanchard has been working with Diane as well on The Grove to design a Comedy Under the Stars event that is going to take place. He is bringing in three of the heaviest hitters in town, himself, Mike Polk, if you are familiar with Last Call Cleveland, one of the best and brightest stand-up comics out there.  Jeff himself is just, if you have never seen him perform, he is truly a thunderous act.  His stand up is mostly improv-based.  He will take some headlines from that day and will create a show 90 minutes long based on what he sees in that day.  He’s really an amazing performer.  I think you are really going to love him.  They are going to be a part of The Grove calendar for this year.  It’s going to be a great addition.

Council President Buckholtz asked, any questions?  Welcome and good luck.  We will be supporting you.

Mr. Mitri thanked Council.

BUILDING DEPARTMENT:

Bid Results - Electrical System for The Grove Ampitheatre

Mr. Marrelli stated, Diane put this memo together. We are working as a team on this with the landscape architect. We had drawings put together.  We went out to bid. We thought we were going to have about 10 bids. We ended up with 3.  The low bidder ended up being Shannon Electric at $37,739. That was the base bid. There was a contingency of $2,250 for debris removal. As you recall, the last time we worked in that area, we ran into concrete so we tried to get so money set aside for it just in case. We are at $39,900 thereabouts for the base bid.  We have $75,000 in the piggy bank.  We gave about $24,000 to The Illuminating Company to put transformers on the pole so we can get the electric to the field.  That left us with $51,000. At any rate, to make a long story short, if we can do the base bid which is the general power out to the panels and stage receptacles, if we can get another $13,769 over our budget of $75,000, we can also do the alternate which would be conduit runs up and down the path with the lighting bollards and some more receptacles which would basically finish the digging part. What I am after is to not stop the digging on the base bid but to let them continue through Alternate 1 so that once the mess is done, it’s done. We need another $13,769 to get through the base and Alternate 1.  We will bring this back and clean it up.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, it’s on the agenda for the Special Meeting this evening.

Mr. Marrelli stated, okay, let’s talk about it then.

Council President Buckholtz asked, any questions?  This is what I brought up at the last Caucus meeting or when we were talking about this previously, going out to bid. I was saying, so we are running electrical, what’s at the other end? 

Mr. Marrelli stated, let me see if I can make it simple.  From the telephone pole on SOM underground, to a set of panels, from the panels two conduits up to the stage four duplexes if you would, one on each side. They are going to be digging that whole way.  We are going to tell them stop here because that’s all the money we have.  What I would like to do is tell them to keep going past the stage all the way down to the pool driveway for the lighting bollards and more receptacles and that will finish the digging and we can burn out our budget for 2014 and then maybe dip into 2015 for $13,700 and pretty much get those two phases done which are huge. 

Council President Buckholtz stated, makes sense.

Mr. Delguyd asked, what else is in the second phase?

Mr. Marrelli stated, there’s tree lights that are going to branch out off of the main conduit.

Mr. Delguyd asked, let me rephrase that, what else in the second phase that would be necessary for the function of The Grove?  That’s an amenity.

Mr. Marrelli stated, people are going to park by the pool.  They are going to walk down this dark path to either get back to their cars or get to the show.  We don’t have any lights over there.

Mr. Delguyd stated, I understand.  That would be fixed by this extra $13,000.  So, not including the $13,000, what else is in that, this would be the last of the safety issues. Everything else would be kind of amenity type.  Lighting of the trees is not necessarily a function.

Mr. Marrelli stated, it’s not required.  This to me is like the basic stuff we are trying to get done now.  Later on, we can get fancier and get lighting in the trees and lighting up on the hill and receptacles for vendors or whatever.  It depends on how this grows.  If we get the base and Alternate 1, we don’t have to do anything else. 

Council President Buckholtz asked, if you did something that required a sound board or a lighting, are there receptacles or outlets up away from the stage, like up in the seating? 

Mr. Marrelli replied, no.

Council President Buckholtz asked, why wouldn’t there be? 

Mr. Marrelli replied, all we are doing is the pathway, the stage and the pathway out to SOM.  They are long runs and the wires are so many feet.

Council President Buckholtz stated, I don’t know the infrastructure part of it.  I just know the staging part of it.  What would it take if we wanted to do a performance where it required a sound board and light booth up away from the stage in the seating area?

Mr. Jerome stated, you would still need to send wires back to the stage.

Mr. Marrelli stated, here’s the other thing.  Anymore you could put the sound board wherever the electric is and you can run them from an I-pad wirelessly. We are contemplating having internet down there and Wi-Fi. We are setting up for that.  Anymore, I see guys with I-pads doing sound from some other remote location. Some of them are not sitting at boards anymore. 

Council President Buckholtz stated, you would still want electricity.

Mr. Marrelli replied, no, they have electric, but they don’t have to have the electric where they are working anything. They plug their board in, set everything up and go somewhere they can do it.

Mr. Delguyd stated, so the board would be technically behind the stage where there’s already electric and they can stand wherever they stand.

Mr. Marrelli replied, yes.  You don’t need the board out in left field.

Council President Buckholtz stated, I understand that. What I am saying is along the way, is there a junction, is there a place, or are we just back at digging, finding the wire and tapping into the wire, or is there a way to have a junction box even if it doesn’t have receptacles in it?

Mr. Marrelli replied, we are doing that.  There’s a number of ground boxes that we have put into this design so that we can tap off any time we want. We are doing that.

Mr. Delguyd asked, and that’s in the bid?

Mr. Marrelli replied, yes.

Council President Buckholtz asked, any questions? There were none.

FINANCE:

Assessment to residents – upcoming sewer project

Mr. Delguyd stated, other than everything else on the agenda, we talked about assessments to residents in upcoming sewer projects.  We discussed several different options. Ron talked about keeping the assessment similar to the cost everyone else has had which is somewhere between $9,200 and $9,600 given the project.  We talked about inflation adjustments.   We talked about various different pluses and minuses. We talked about not assessing based on the financial stability and growth of the Village.  We will leave it to discussion here.  I think the path of least resistance obviously would be the same assessment for everybody.  I don’t know if there’s anything you want to discuss.

Mayor Rinker stated, I can weigh in on that. I would agree it’s the safest way, because it’s the way we have been advertising it for years. 

Council President Buckholtz asked, how many people are involved in this first phase?

Mr.  Delguyd replied, 55-58.

Council President Buckholtz stated, typically we have had a sewer meeting.

Mayor Rinker stated, it’s scheduled for June 9th.  We originally were trying to get two meetings in May, one for the Village finances and then this one. They just both got kicked a little bit.

Council President Buckholtz stated, okay, so we have time.

Mayor Rinker stated, unless Council has some fundamentally different idea, my intention is to continue and stay the course. We are not changing the policy unless there’s some compelling argument. 

Mr. Marrie agreed.  That’s what we talked about from the very beginning.  Keep it the same for all residents. 

Council President Buckholtz will make it his business to be there.  It started with the Worton Park project. A lot of people get fuzzy on the lateral tie-ins. We have the same issues we have always had. They pay the lateral tie-ins.

Mayor Rinker stated, that’s exactly why we are having the meeting.  We have been trying to have a meeting sooner for a number of years but we are finally getting the project into the ground again.  There will be dozens of questions. If you recall, everyone resident not only has to look at the assessment component when they will have a consideration of a lump sum versus a basic assessment typically amortizing an assessment over 20 years makes better sense. There’s that discussion. Then there’s a discussion of a lateral. A lateral can be different from house to house whether you tie in from the back or the front of your house and those considerations.

Council President Buckholtz added, we can’t recommend anybody, but we have a list of contractors who will do it. Sometimes Dino came in and did a deal.

Mayor Rinker stated, he was one who was very entrepreneurial and people were satisfied.

Mr. Delguyd stated, I guess at the end of the day, there’s a meeting June 9th.

Mayor Rinker stated, correct.

Council President Buckholtz asked, anybody have any different opinions than that?  There were no further comments. 

Council President Buckholtz asked, anything else on Finance?  There were no further comments.

FIRE DEPARTMENT:

Fuel System Repair (Petroleum Maintenance Electronics, Inc. - $9060)

Chief Carcioppolo replied, this is in our capital budget.  We need to replace our fuel system. I called the company to come and see if there was any possibility of them repairing it.  That is not possible due to the age. They don’t make replacement parts for it.   The quote that was included in your packet had to be increased by $500 because we don’t have copper phone lines in the basement so they had to give us a network modem instead of a dial in modem. That increased their price by an additional $500.  It just happened over the weekend, so I don’t have the new quote. The new system will allow each individual member to receive a PIN number. That PIN number will be linked to that individual so you know who is pumping what fuel. Currently our fuel system does not comply with the Fire Code. Are there any questions about that?  There were none.

Chief Carcioppolo announced that Good Morning America contacted the Northeast Ohio Fire Prevention Association.  They want to air a show about photoelectric smoke detectors. They needed a house.  Northeast Ohio Fire Prevention has done a lot of research between ionization and photoelectric smoke detectors.  They saw our show aired on Channel 5 and Good Morning America wanted to run an additional show so we are going to be doing that at 6120 Wilson Mills.  We are running at test on the 9th and then on the 13th Good Morning America will be there to film the smoke alarm test. It’s not going to be a true live burn.  It’s a pretty good life saving measure to inform the country. It’s a very honorable thing that they approached Northeast Ohio Fire Prevention Association and asked. They weren’t soliciting to get that publicity.  The house is right next to the high school. We are going to run a test on the 9th like a live burn so it will be in compliance with NFPA 1403.  It will be safe.  Everything will be okay.

Chief Carcioppolo announced, we just received on Friday from the Insurance Services Offices; shortly after being announced Interim Chief, I received a packet from them because they wanted to come and do an evaluation of our Department. They came on January 27th. This is the first time in many years that they came here. ISO gives a rating for your insurance companies to provide you a homeowner’s insurance quote as well as the businesses.  Our class was reduced from a Class 5 to a Class 3 ISO rating. We are 1.47 points away from being a Class 2. The lower your number is, the better insurance rates you have. Our Department was able to reduce our fire suppression rating schedule in accordance with ISO which should save everyone money on their homeowner’s insurance as well as the businesses. The businesses will yield a higher standing because they are more money to insure. That’s a pretty good accomplishment.  There are approximately 2400 Class 3’s in the country. We are 1.47 points away from being a Class 2. There are only 750 of those in the country.  That’s good news.

Mayor Rinker asked, there’s a way to track with data the savings realized?   ISO does that, or who does that?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, I asked him a ballpark and he said it would be approximately on a $250,000 house one reduction in class point would save the homeowner approximately $50 a year, so a two point reduction would save approximately $100 a year, but the big businesses is where they save a lot more money.

Mayor Rinker stated, that’s good. That’s a generality. But do we know specifically if there’s a way to track this.  Is there something going forward where there’s a database that tracks how these rates are affected?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, I can call and ask them.

Mayor Rinker stated, yes, I would like to know.  It would be good to track that.

Mr. Jerome stated, everyone should call their insurance companies and get their rate lowered.

Chief Carcioppolo agreed.

Mayor Rinker stated, that’s excellent.

Mr. Jerome asked, how do we get down to number 2?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, I will work on that. We were a Class 5 for approximately 17 years. They have not been out here in a long time.

Mr. Marrie stated, good for you.

SERVICE DEPARTMENT:

Fuel Management System (Petroleum Maintenance Electronics, Inc. - $9060)

Mr. Metzung stated, everything that Gino said about the fuel system, I concur with.  While ours is still functioning, it’s old and unrepairable.  We have it in this year’s budget to have it upgraded.

Concrete Repairs
-Wilson Mills at Progressive Drive
-Wildwood at Thornsway

Mr. Metzung reported, we have the concrete repairs at Wilson Mills at Progressive drive. We have a sewer that caved in and a piece of the concrete is going with it.  At Wildwood and Thornsway we had a water break right after we redid the roadway.  We will have those two areas contracted out and repaired as quickly as possible.

Pole barn demo at former Ohio Department of Transportation property

Mr. Metzung reported, we are still getting prices for the pole barn.

Custodial cleaning at Civic Center

Mr. Metzung reported, we had begun to look at some supplemental cleaning in this building.  Our cleaner has since decided he will be retiring at 74 years old. We are now going to meet with the cleaning company on Wednesday to redo our schedule for cleaning and see what that number brings us.

Dump body for new truck (Concord Road Equipment)

Mr. Metzung reported, this would be to put the dump bed on the new truck and make it functional. The number is at State rates.

Council President Buckholtz asked, are there any questions? There were none.

PARKS & RECREATION:

Repair and Refurbish - Parkview Pool Slide (Slide Renu - $16,190.00)

Mr. Thomas stated, our Parkview Pool slide is 16 years old and deteriorating. We need to repair and refurbish it. We have a company that specializes in that area.  I am recommending along with the Service Department that we fix the slide.

Mr. Thomas announced, the Mother’s Day Pancake Breakfast, we can use your services.  We have the sign-up sheet that my assistant gave me. She is reminding me to make sure everyone’s down here that should be down as far as their time and what they are doing.  I will pass it around, but probably most of you have signed up already.

ANY OTHER MATTER BEFORE COUNCIL

Council President Buckholtz asked, any other matters?

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at approximately 8:32 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary E. Betsa, Clerk of Council