Caucus - April 7th 2014

 

MINUTES OF A COUNCIL CAUCUS
Monday, April 7, 2014 at 8:00 p.m.
Mayfield Village Civic Hall

The Council of Mayfield Village met in Caucus Session on Monday, April 7, 2014.  Council President Buckholtz called the meeting to order at approximately 8:07 p.m.

(Print friendly/PDF Document)

ROLL CALL:            

Present: Mr. Buckholtz, Mr. Jerome, Mr. Marquardt, Mr. Marrie, Mrs. Mills, and Dr. Parker

Also Present: Mayor Rinker, Mr. Wynne, Ms. Calta, Mr. Cappello, Chief Edelman, Mr. Dinardo, Mr. Metzung, Mr. Marrelli, Chief Carcioppolo, Mr. Thomas, Mr. Esborn, Ms. Wolgamuth, and Mrs. Betsa

Absent: Mr. Delguyd

IN COMMITTEE (STATUS)

Council President Buckholtz stated, all of the items on our Special Meeting are on the Caucus agenda for this evening.

Mr. Marrie stated, all of the agenda items on Safety and Service and Finance are on Caucus for this evening.

BUILDING DEPARTMENT:

Electrical System for The Grove Ampitheatre (The Illuminating Company - $23,524.21)

Mr. Marrelli reported, I issued a memo last week to explain what the contract is with the Illuminating Company to install three transformers on a pole on SOM near The Grove Ampitheatre for connection to our electrical system that would supply lighting and receptacles for the theater area in the future.  We are putting that out to bid.  It will be in the newspaper this week.  I am hoping to have a pre-bid meeting on the 18th and award a contract sometime in the next couple weeks after that. We are trying to get this whole system dialed in for the middle of June, end of June.  Unfortunately for us First Energy needs money like yesterday.  We have a 10-12 week lead time on actually doing the work.  The sooner we get the check, the sooner they get it in the process.

Council President Buckholtz asked, they don’t do the work?

Mr. Marrelli replied, there are a few things happening. We have poles up and down SOM but unless you have transformers to connect the power to, they are just going up and down the street passing through.  First Energy wants $23,000 to put three, let’s call them cans, up on the pole.  You have seen them.  It’s three phases, 480 volts, so they have to put three of them up there. We do everything up to that point and they come back and make a connection. The extent of their work is put these transformers on a pole.

Council President Buckholtz stated, then everything we are talking about putting at The Grove that would hook up to that, such as lighting, we don’t have to wait, my understanding is we have used generators in the past.  Our main programming is June?

Mrs. Mills replied, the last Saturday in June.

Council President Buckholtz asked, so if it’s not ready by then?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, then we can do generators for a couple of events and wait for the power to get hooked up.

Council President Buckholtz asked, as far as designing and purchasing and scoping out all of the equipment that we would be looking to hook into that line?

Mr. Marrelli replied, it’s all been designed.  We are putting an ad in the paper to start getting prices.

Council President Buckholtz asked, do we have any questions or a Safety and Service or Finance report?

Mr. Marquardt stated, it was discussed at Finance Committee and Safety and Service.  It’s within the total budget.

Council President Buckholtz asked, so it is what we had planned?

Mr. Marrie replied, yes.

ADMINISTRATION:

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, the Community Room was an issue we put on Safety and Service. We discussed it there but we really didn’t get very far.  Mr. Marrie and I talked about maybe just a brief discussion here. 

John Marrelli and I met with a gentleman from Panzica who helped us put together a cost estimate for rehabilitating the Community Room. That number has come in about $730,000 and that includes contingency money for unforeseen circumstances or things that may need to be repaired that we are not aware of at this point. We talked about whether we want to go forward with the rehab or whether we want to reconsider and possibly raze and rebuild but the estimate to do that is $1.5 million.  John and I are looking for some direction on whether we go forward and have specs prepared to go to bid for the rehab or does anyone want to talk about going in any kind of different direction?

Council President Buckholtz asked, did we talk about it in Finance?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, we didn’t.  That’s why we are bringing it up here because we didn’t resolve it and we moved on.

Council President Buckholtz opened the floor for discussion.  Let me ask you this, when you said $1.5 million to raze it and build something else there.  Is that any kind of a design build? 

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, we talked about if we were doing a design build it would probably make sense.  Mr. Dinardo said that in a rehab situation, a design build really wouldn’t work. We should just spec what we want to do and go out to bid and see what it costs to have it done.

Council President Buckholtz asked, refresh my memory on the survey we did?

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, 46% liked the rehab and improving the building versus 21% that wanted to raze and rebuild. 

Mr. Jerome stated, some of it comes down to cost.  If it’s going to take a million to fix it up or maybe $100,000 to rip the whole thing down, it changes things.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, right.  And that’s the question, how much is too much to rehab versus spending more money to rebuild?

Mr. Marrelli stated, we can cut the cost as well. We built in a cushion for architectural fees or unforeseen issues.

Dr. Parker asked, which costs, rehab or the new?

Mr. Marrelli replied, on the rehab.  If I had to guess, there’s probably $60,000-70,000 in cushion money in case we run in to a beam situation or we have to reframe the roof because of weight bearing. When that building was put up it was done in pieces by the residents.  Whoever came around.

Council President Buckholtz asked, didn’t the people in the community put the wallpaper up?

Mr. Marrelli replied, they put the whole building up. With that being said, there’s a mish mosh of construction up there.  I just want to make sure that when we get into taking things out like columns and beams and things that if we run into something I don’t have to stop construction and come back to Council and say I need $20,000 to redo the roof because it’s not going to stay.

Dr. Parker asked, is it possible to get a feel, we are not getting the same thing for a million and a half other than a new building. What more would we be getting with a new building?  Size-wise, location-wise, whatever we want to do.  

Mr. Marrelli replied, you would be getting new wiring and plumbing and beaming.

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, it’s the same square footage on the same footprint.

Mr. Metzung stated, it wouldn’t be a salt shed any more.

Dr. Parker asked, in terms of longevity and long term, which suits our needs in 20-30 years from now?  We don’t want to spend that much more money, but perhaps maybe it’s wise in terms of a long term goal and long range planning and maybe even looking at configuring it differently than what we have now.  Is there any thought on that?

Mr. Marrelli replied, there was.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, that’s really the question. We did the survey and got the residents’ feeling on it.  But really we could go either way on whether we want to reconfigure and redo the building and have a completely different building.

Mr. Marquardt, you are on the same amount of square footage. Either reconfigure or refurbish.

Mr. Marrelli stated, people seem to be happy with the size and the way it looks on the inside. They just want it polished up a little bit.

Mr. Marrie agreed. Almost 50% of the people said they would rather see it redone. For a million and a half, why we would spend that much money if we are still going to have the same square footage and building but with new paint, new blocks and new windows? This refurbishing is going to do all of that too.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, you are essentially going to get most of that with a rehab.

Mr. Marrie stated, that’s what I am saying, you are going to get it anyway.

Mr. Metzung stated, I think you are going to breathe enough new life into it that it should be good for another 20-30 years.

Mrs. Mills stated, the last major overhaul was probably 15 years plus ago, maybe even longer.  That was wallpaper and carpeting.  What is in there now, its life span is gone and needs to be done.

Mr. Marrie stated there’s no doubt about that.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, if everyone’s comfortable with the $600,000-700,000 price tag, then we would just go ahead and have the work done.

Mr. Marrie stated, we should pass it on to Finance and move on it.  No one had any big objections to doing it in either Safety and Service or Finance.

Mrs. Mills asked, John didn’t you say in one of your memos that you felt the shell of the building was structurally sound?

Mr. Marrelli replied, it is. We had an engineer go around inside and up in the rafters.  It’s not that there’s any structural decay or anything.  When we start to pull things apart, I want to make sure that we have protection to make any repairs if they pop up.  It’s not going anywhere. Some of these windstorms would have wreaked havoc on it by now. She’s tough.

Dr. Parker stated, my only intrigue is what could it be as opposed to what it is?

Mrs. Mills stated, the only other thing you might do there is put in a cooking kitchen. I am against that.  That warming kitchen should stay the way it is.    You are going to get into too many problems.

Mr. Jerome stated, costs go way up.

Mr. Marrelli replied, you can’t go too far.  You get into the fire protection part of it and the health department part of it.  You might as well start over.    Keep it simple.

Mr. Marrie stated, that’s basically what the residents said.  They are the voters and taxpayers. That’s what they would like to see done.  Approximately $730,000 with $100,000 and some built into this as a cushion, we are well on our way to getting it done. Why build a new one? We are not going to get that much more out of it.  If it’s good for 20 years.

Mayor Rinker stated, what’s nice too is with this footprint the goal is to get rid of that support post and open up the wall.  There’s a lot of space in there.  If you open it up, there’s flex opportunity.

Mr. Marrie agreed. It becomes a completely different room when you take that pole out of there.

Mrs. Mills stated, and the dance floor.  Nobody dances.

Mr. Marrie stated, I like jazz band dancing.  We need that.

Council President Buckholtz stated, we are building really nice brick facilities with a lot of latitude on what can be developed with them.  I find it interesting like when you were saying we can polish it up.  I was always thinking commercial kitchen, but Patsy is saying leave the kitchen the way it is, you are saying, polish it up.  $730,000, even $630,000, I am thinking that’s quite a polishing job.

Mr. Marrie stated, that’s not just a polish, Bill, that’s a plan.

Council President Buckholtz stated, the other two things that always comes up is the timing issue, but we will get to that in a second.  I think we have all of the data we need.  You did such a good survey, so one of my questions is, and we also built the office and storage room, we were kind of moving it in a lot of directions, who’s using it and what are they using it for?  I know it’s busy all the time, but for what?  What are the key things?  Because if they are cooking, I think it needs a legal kitchen.

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, during the week, during the day it is mostly senior programming. During the week in the evenings, there’s various community groups that use it and then every Friday, Saturday and Sunday it’s rented by residents or someone sponsored by a resident. Those weekends are all parties. I think they do use the kitchen but I also think everyone’s fairly accustomed to that it’s a warming kitchen.

Mrs. Mills stated, most caterers when they come they bring steam tables with their food already prepared and they plug them in.

Council President Buckholtz asked, the circuits hold those?

Mr. Marrelli replied, so far.  Or they bring sterno.

Mr. Marrie stated, that will be part of the polishing, Bill. We will get bigger breakers in there.

Council President Buckholtz stated, with the timing of things, what is the sense of urgency?   This has been out there. We have been doing this a year or two.  It ties into the center of town.

Mr. Marrelli stated, we never got this far along though. Now we have something to work with.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, we stopped renting the Community Room as of January 2015 thinking that we would be ready to start construction at that point.  I believe Panzica said four months of construction.

Mr. Marrelli added, weather permitting.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, I don’t know if January is really the ideal time to start.  We maybe could push that to March or April.

Mr. Marrelli stated, you can do some demo.  You can’t be opening the roof up and framing it in January.

Council President Buckholtz asked, it’s booked until the end of this year?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, yes.

Council President Buckholtz stated, and so, optimum time to start construction is pending the weather, February or March?

Mr. Marrelli replied, March.

Council President Buckholtz asked, so we are looking to go out to bid in December or January?

Mr. Marrelli replied, yes.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, any time between that.

Council President Buckholtz stated, we should look this over a little bit more.

Mr. Marrelli stated, we have to get it drawn up. We have to get an architect on board and have it all drawn up.

Council President Buckholtz stated, you are saying $730,000 to fix it up, but there’s a big cushion in there.  It could come in a lot lower.  The tendency is if we tear it down and we go with $1.5 million, it will be $2.1 million.

Mr. Marrelli stated, I am telling you it will.  It will never go back like this.  It will never go up in frame.  It will be block and brick.  This $1.5 million will end up being $2.5 million.

Council President Buckholtz asked, so we don’t have drawings yet. We don’t have a layout.

Mr. Marrelli replied, we have a concept. 

Council President Buckholtz asked, we can start picking that apart and looking at it?

Mr. Marrelli replied, the procedure is to go out and request proposals and then go from there.

Council President Buckholtz stated, I am okay with that. Does anybody want to add to that? 

There were no further comments.

FINANCE:

Mr. Wynne stated, our Annual Town Hall meeting will be scheduled shortly.  The Mayor and I will be providing an update on the finances from last year as well as our budget plans for this year. 

Mr. Wynne stated, the meeting with the residents involved in the sanitary sewer project will also be scheduled shortly.

POLICE DEPARTMENT:

Suburban Police Anti-Crime Network (“SPAN”) Dues ($14,000)

Chief Edelman reported, the SPAN dues are the same as last year.  The only thing I want to bring to everyone’s attention as I mentioned in Finance, next year the dues will be going up because we will be losing Gates Mills.

Council President Buckholtz asked, where are they going?

Chief Edelman replied, they are joining the Valley Enforcement Group.  They are already being dispatched out of there and they felt it was a better fit for them.

Council President Buckholtz asked, any questions?  There were none.

FIRE DEPARTMENT:

Chief Carcioppolo stated, going back to the Community Room.  You mentioned cooking appliances.  I have rented the Community Room and I think that putting a little bit of higher quality industrial commercial level cooking equipment with an automatic hood suppression system linked into the fire alarm system in there would be a better idea.

Council President Buckholtz agreed that if people are going to go in there and cook, you will need to get some hot air out of there and you need some make-up air.

Dr. Parker stated, it would be nice if more people would use it for even more significant functions or higher level functions. That would be a nice thing to offer for our residents without having to go elsewhere for those things.

Council President Buckholtz is not trying to complicate it. We at one point had talked about what we were going to do with this kitchen over here. We were going to get rid of it or move this out.  There’s a huge wonderful kitchen here.  I am sure most of the equipment is kaput.  If someone did want a fully catered event, I would imagine we would do our best to steer them here. Then if you look at both projects at the same time, you could be steering dollars into this kitchen rather than trying to take something like a small apartment size kitchen and get commercial equipment in there.  I think we are all thinking on the same terms.

Purchase of chest compression system (Physio-Control - $28,926.20)

Chief Carcioppolo reported, we do not have a mechanical device to provide chest compressions. The American Heart Association changed the CPR guidelines approximately four years ago to stress the importance of chest compressions because chest compressions are what saves lives. They recommend rotating the person doing the chest compressions every two minutes because after two minutes people become fatigued and they can’t provide adequate chest compressions to maintain oxygenation levels within the vital organs. These are budgeted in the capital budget.  This price is for two of them, one for each ambulance.  We could attach this to a patient and provide chest compressions if we are extricating someone from a basement or a second floor. Currently, when you are doing that, there’s no way to provide chest compressions because you have to carry someone up and down the stairs.  If this device is on them, it will provide the compressions while we are doing that.  It will free us up to do IV therapy, medication therapy and advanced airway techniques to the patient to help improve their chances of survival.

Mr. Jerome asked, this is the second generation of this device?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, I don’t know how many generations of all of the devices.  They were more archaic in the beginning.  Now they are electric.  You just keep them charged. They are battery powered.  The Lucas CPR machine is the most commonly used one in the area.  Most of our men that work other places have them at their other departments.  It’s the best model out there at this point in time.  It’s made by a company called Lucas which was purchased by Physio-Control which is a company that makes our cardiac monitors.

Council President Buckholtz asked, have you seen it working?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, this machine?

Council President Buckholtz replied, yes.

Chief Carcioppolo replied, not in person, no.  On tape.

Council President Buckholtz asked, they would do a demonstration?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, yes.

Dr. Parker stated, a while back last year, Chief Mohr discussed  looking into bulk purchasing of AED’s like we do with smoke detectors and making them available to the local businesses.  He felt at the time that would be a great asset to our safety and services because these are expensive items and the ability for local companies to buy them and supplement what our people are doing before they get there might be a worthwhile thing. Any thought of looking into that?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, I never heard of that except from you right now.

Dr. Parker stated, Chief Mohr and I discussed it.

Mrs. Mills asked, wouldn’t you need training to operate this?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, an AED is an automatic external defibrillator which is needed for people that take a civilian CPR class. We do have those currently at the pool and Racquet Club.  We had a save in January from a CPR training we provided to the employees at the Racquet Club.  Lieutenant Girbino helped them with their AED maintenance program every month. That’s what their manager attributed the save to.  They were able to use the defibrillator to defibrillate someone and when our crews arrived on scene, he was alert and oriented.

Dr. Parker stated that’s huge.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, that’s basically the entire premise behind training people CPR and how it is supposed to work.  It involves the community and everyone.

Council President Buckholtz stated, it’s always been my impression that learning CPR on your own or having the defibrillators is kind of a method to react waiting for you guys to get there. Your description of this is pulling people out of upstairs, downstairs, different situations as being a more professional piece of equipment that you guys need to handle.

Chief Carcioppolo agreed. The CPR machine itself is different than an AED.  The chain of survival is what you are speaking of where we provide CPR training to the population, they call 911, start doing CPR, they provide a life-saving defibrillation if they have an AED, and then we provide advance life support care to bring someone to the hospital.

Mayor Rinker asked, what is the basic cost of an AED?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, approximately $2,500.

Dr. Parker stated, we have a lot of businesses in the area that employ people that could potentially benefit.  I am not saying the Village should front the cost at all.  I am just saying just like we did with the other program, we might be able to get quality devices and allow our companies in the area to purchase them.  It could help our safety and services out in the long run.

Chief Carcioppolo agreed.

Dr. Parker stated, Chief Mohr thought it was a good idea.  I think he would have looked into it further but I think with his retirement, it ended up getting put aside at the time.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, I will look into it.

Repair and update locks on Fire Station (American Security and AV - $9,873.44)

Council President Buckholtz asked, did you have a chance to talk about this in Committee?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, I did.  Basically we have an unsecure public safety building.  It’s unacceptable.  It needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

Council President Buckholtz stated, we had conversations on this.  After we got to talk about this, I understood it further and I felt it belonged on the Special Meeting as long as we were having one.  You can talk one on one if anyone is interested in more details.

SERVICE DEPARTMENT:

Street Sign brackets and post sleeves (Northcoast Signworks - $15,119)

Mr. Metzung reported, this is the second half of our street sign upgrade that we started last year.
This will complete the north side of the Village.

Authorization to go out to bid for roof repair at the salt dome at the former ODOT property.  (Estimate:  $60,000)

Mr. Metzung reported, this is in fairly poor shape and we are looking at just doing the whole thing this year.  We put this in the budget to do that.

Authorization to go out to bid for removal of old pole barn located at the former ODOT property

Mr. Metzung stated, this stored outdoor material, cold packs, and things of that nature.  It’s in very poor repair.  I would like to get it out of there.

Council President Buckholtz asked, do you have a rough ballpark on that?

Mr. Metzung stated, no.  Between $15,000 to $20,000.  It’s big.  It’s just a pole barn.  I am guessing closer to $15,000.

Purchase of Ford F 450 Cab and Chassis from Valley Ford Truck.  ($26,135.50 through the Ohio Cooperative Purchasing Program).

Mr. Metzung reported, this is in our budget.  It’s a replacement of a one-ton dump. This is the first half of the purchase. This is the truck itself. We will also get a number for the dump and hydraulics and strobe lights and things of that nature to go on it.  I suspect that will be in the $15,000 range.

Repair of storm sewer outlet located at the rear of 701 Beta Drive (Mr. Excavator - $15,000.00) 

Mr. Metzung reported, hopefully everyone has had a chance to read my memos regarding this. Excavation of the bridge foundations uncovered this storm sewer outlet that was failing.  The front has failed. The back has a big gap in the pipe of several inches.  The headwall is beginning to lean towards the creek. It needs to be repaired.  We came up with two plans, one was a drop manhole that stabilizes the base, drops the water down to the bottom and allows it to come out. The second one is basically putting back what was there minus the headwall and allow the water to flow out with erosion control underneath it.  It appears that Council is more comfortable with the second option to allow this to be repaired so that we can get to work. I asked that that be passed this evening.  Ms. Calta has a later update on this to be shared with Council. 

Ms. Calta stated, I was also at Safety and Service and Finance, but right about 4:30 today, I had a telephone call from the property owner.  I have been in contact with the property owner during this whole discussion of options and the situation as it was continuing to evolve and the headwall was continuing to deteriorate and pretty much disintegrate.  Hopefully it’s still in place with all this rain as we are sitting here, but there was concern over that as well. We were in contact with the property owner to update them as to what was going on and also to secure their consent and agreement to the options being looked at.  In speaking with Joe Perrow, the property manager for the Geis property, he is in full agreement with the second option. He has signed off on the proposal and the plans and he got that back to me.  He is also acknowledging that this also will be an improvement to them. They are willing to participate in the cost and split the expense 50-50 with the Village. 

Council President Buckholtz asked, $15,000 is half the cost or $15,000 gets split with them?

Ms. Calta replied, $15,000 would be split.

Council President Buckholtz asked, so we are down to $7,500 from what was going to be $42,000?  Looks like we had a good day.  It was worth walking through the mud that day.

Mr. Metzung stated, as I explained to Safety and Service, the original repair really is a superior repair.  It takes the erosion of that bank that controls it and allows the water out of the base of the hill.  It was what was there to begin with and it is what we will put back.

Council President Buckholtz asked, we don’t have to involve the Army Corps for something like that?

Mr. Metzung replied, no.

Council President Buckholtz stated, nice work. Thank you.

2014-2015 Salt Participation Agreement

Mr. Metzung reported, with last year’s salt debacle, the State has come out with a two-pronged attack this year. They are going to do a summer fill up and the regular salt for the winter. We are going to participate in both events and I look to do 1500 tons for the summer and another 1200 for the winter fill up.  We typically use about 2500 tons of salt. This will give us a little extra because they have tightened up the windows that you are allowed. We will order a little more to be safe. Since we have the larger dome now we can afford to do that and hope they would make it up next year depending on how it works out for next year.

Council President Buckholtz asked, any comments from anyone on the Service Department report?

Mr. Jerome asked, on the question with the street signs.  How do you decide which signs get a cross-sign.? For example, a street runs into Wilson Mills.  It seems like some of the signs that are up, half the signs say Wilson Mills and some do not.  What is the determination?

Mr. Metzung replied, as you come out to Wilson Mills and SOM Center Road, they will all have Wilson Mills or SOM.  Some of the places we don’t add the extra sign would be on a cul de sac that comes out of the street that is the only way you can get in and out.  You had to have been there already. We don’t necessarily do it there. We will just have the cul de sac street. Like Hickory Hill, at all of the cul de sacs off of that, we won’t have a Hickory Hill sign on each one. We figured if you got in there you would probably know how to get out. 

Mr. Jerome stated, that makes sense.

Mr. Metzung stated, anywhere where you may have gotten to the street from another way, we will have that street name sign.

Mr. Jerome asked, what about where Ravine and Thornapple meet?

Mr. Metzung replied, there will be a sign there.

Mr. Jerome commented, they are beautiful signs. Good choice.  Thank you.

Council President Buckholtz asked, any other comments? There were none.

PLANNING DEPARTMENT:

Match funding commitment of $50,000 for Ohio EPA SWIF grant application for Mayfield Village Civic Center Stormwater Retrofit Demonstration Project (total project cost of $176,500, grant request of $126,500).

Mr. Esborn reported, I mentioned last month that we would be going for an Ohio EPA SWIF grant for the Civic Center drive entry here. The application is almost done. It is going to be in Columbus at Ohio EPA by this Friday.  Our partners at Chagrin River Partners are polishing up and editing the final version of the application.  I have a couple copies of the latest draft here if anyone wants to see it, or if you want me to e-mail it to you I can do that too.  I wanted to put it on the agenda to show that the cash match we are pledging is $50,000. The reason for that is that that’s the amount budgeted for the driveway. The more that is put forward as a cash match under this program, the better chances the application has.  How this will go is by June we will hear from Ohio EPA if we have the grant and then the next thing that would be before Council would be a Grant Agreement. Before any expenditure on the project, we would know if we got the grant and we would get a Grant Agreement. I am confirming with Ohio EPA that this is not a reimbursement grant. They are not large grants, but they are geared towards getting the projects done in 2014.  I am confirming that it is not reimbursement and we would get the money up front. 

Council President Buckholtz asked, it’s not a 50-50 match? What you are saying is $50,000 is what we put up and we stand to make the $126,000 and as far as you know, $50,000 is all we would need to spend?

Mr. Esborn replied, right.  The way it’s structured, when we put the whole project together, it was $176,500.  The maximum amount we can ask for in this program is $150,000.  They suggest to shoot around $100,000. We are pretty satisfied and Chagrin River Partners are pretty satisfied with $126,000 as an ask. We are asking for $126,000 from the Ohio EPA and we are putting up $50,000.

Dr. Parker asked, if we have to give more, will they advise us of how much they are willing to give us or is it all or nothing?

Mr. Esborn replied, I went to their workshop back in February. They did not mention a situation where they would suggest coming back for more or working with you.  I do know that if there is funding left over after this initial round, they do another round almost immediately. So there’s that.  As to whether they would give us feedback and say we think it needs to change, I am not sure.

With regard to new businesses in the Village, Mr. Esborn stated, it’s difficult to be able to alert Council every time a single business moves in and out of the Village but right now we have at least 5 businesses moving in.  I wanted to mention them real quickly. Dr. Michael Polsinelli is a chiropractor moving in to 6501 Wilson Mills.  Forest City Tree Protection, a group of arborists are moving in to 731 Beta.  Drs. Hanna Wang & Ezzidin are cardiologists moving in to Mount Vernon.  McFadden and Freeburg, is a law firm moving in to Mount Vernon.  Finally Maverick Electronics, a manufacturer, is moving in to 701 Beta which is a 144,000 square foot multi-tenant building  that is now 100% occupied and is coincidentally the same property splitting the cost of the storm sewer with us.  That’s pretty cool.

SENIOR SERVICES:

Mrs. Mills reported, we have the Senior Luncheon coming up Friday, May 16th from 12:00-3:00.

LAW DIRECTOR:

Legislation approving current replacement pages to the Mayfield Village Codified Ordinances.

Ms. Calta reported, this legislation will be on Council’s next agenda for the replacement pages for Walter Drane

Repeal of Mayfield Village Codified Ordinance 549.11.

Ms. Calta reported, we have a Code section that back in 2004 that was adopted when we had the State concealed carry laws come into play.  As the law has evolved, this Ordinance was not being enforced. Back in 2013, we asked the codifier to repeal this section that prohibits carrying unconcealed weapons in public places.  It wasn’t repealed.  It’s something that hasn’t been enforced but we need to make sure that it comes off the Code.  We need to do a separate ordinance for it to be repealed.  There are other codified ordinances that are enforced in place of this provision.

Council President Buckholtz asked, is it consistent with State law?

Ms. Calta replied, yes.  This needs to be repealed for many reasons, the first being the Constitution of the United States without getting into a lot of detail on that.  There are other ordinances the police department has in place to enforce disorderly conduct, inciting a riot, etc.

ANY OTHER MATTER BEFORE COUNCIL

Council President Buckholtz asked, any other matters?

Mrs. Mills stated, I have two sign-up sheets here for Mother’s Day Pancake Breakfast and Cruise Night.  It looks like everyone here has signed up or has agreed to do something. We appreciate that. 

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at approximately 8:52 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary E. Betsa, Clerk of Council