Finance Caucus: July 10th 2017

MINUTES OF THE FINANCE CAUCUS COMMITTEE
Main Conference Room – Mayfield Village Civic Center
Monday, July 10, 2017 – 7:30 p.m.

The Finance Committee met on Monday, July 10, 2017 in the Main Conference Room at the Mayfield Village Civic Center.  Chairman Saponaro called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.

ROLL CALL: 

Present: Mr. Saponaro (Council Representative-Chairman), Mr. Marquardt (Council Representative), Mr. Williams (Council Representative), and Mrs. Mills (Council Alternate)

Also Present: Mr. Marrie, Mr. Jerome, Dr. Parker, Mayor Bodnar, Mr. Metzung, Chief Carcioppolo, Mr. Marrelli, Chief Edelman, Mr. Diemert, Mr. Cappello, Mr. McAvinew, Ms. Wolgamuth, and Mrs. Betsa

Absent: Mr. Wynne

POLICE DEPARTMENT:

  • Declaring police vehicles surplus and selling on govdeals.com along with old K-9 car.
    • 2013 Dodge Charger, VIN: 2C3CDXAG0DH590910, mileage: 99,875
    • 2013 Dodge Charger, VIN: 2C3CDXAG0DH590909, mileage: 95,224

Chief Edelman reported, I have two olds cars that I need to get rid of.  Rather than put them on bid like we have done in the past, with the approval of Council, I would like to put them on Govdeals.com which I am told still qualifies as public bid notice.  I also have my old K-9 car that I am still trying to get rid of.  I would like to put that on Govdeals.com also.

Chairman Saponaro asked, would that be a third one?

Chief Edelman replied, that one has already been declared as surplus.  What I need Council to do is to declare these two cars as surplus so that I can put them on Govdeals.com.

Chairman Saponaro stated, okay.  Does anyone have any questions on this? 

There were none.

SERVICE DEPARTMENT:

  • Trailer Mounted Heated Asphalt Hauler for road repair (Concord Road Equipment - $24,804.01)

Mr. Metzung reported, this is a replacement for a 20-year-old unit we have.  It’s on State bid.  We budgeted about $30,000 for it.

Chairman Saponaro asked, anyone have any questions?  There were none.

ANY OTHER MATTERS:

Chairman Saponaro asked, anything else?

Mr. Metzung stated, I have two items. We are trying to finalize putting siding on the State yard building, the ODOT building. I am working with the same people we worked with to do the roof on the Service Department.  I meet with him tomorrow to go over final numbers. We don’t have to do it this month but we can look at the numbers and see if we can add that for the next meeting or not.

The other item is the bid numbers for the salt came in today at $29.12 which is .11 cheaper than last year.

Chairman Saponaro asked, is this for summer?

Mr. Metzung replied, this is for the winter.  You are right, a couple years ago, we did do a summer purchase.  They have not done that since.  This is for the 2017-2018 winter season.  We are committed to 2,000 tons. It’s .11 cheaper than last year.

Chairman Saponaro stated, I am fine with these going on the agenda for our Council meeting as long as we have all of the back-up information.

Mr. McAvinew reported, we went out to bid for the Intergenerational Park.  The Engineer’s Estimate for the base bid is $625,000 and the estimate for the add alternate light poles, light pole foundations and corresponding wiring is $50,000.  The bids will close on Friday, July 21st.  Depending on how those bids turn out, I would like to try to bring this to Council the following Monday which would be the 24th of July.

Chairman Saponaro asked, so you want what on the 24th?

Mr. McAvinew replied, if everything comes out, I will meet on Friday or Monday with Tommy to make a determination.  If it comes in favorable, I would like to bring it to Council.  If not, we can wait until the following month.

Chairman Saponaro stated, it will have to wait anyways.  We have to have it go to Finance.  That would not happen until the next meeting in August, unless you tell us for some reason it has to be.

Mr. McAvinew stated, my only concern is the timeline.

Mr. Cappello replied, potentially for asphalt paving.  We have 60 days.  If we go into August, we should still be safe.  We would have August through October.  Usually asphalt plants close in November.  If it’s an issue, fine.  We would prefer to get it done earlier.  But if it’s an issue.

Chairman Saponaro stated, not that it’s an issue.   It’s just that we want it to go through the process so people have an opportunity to look at it and make sure everything is where it needs to be.  It’s nothing more than meeting to go through the normal process.

Mr. Cappello replied, August is when softball starts.

Mr. McAvinew stated, we wanted to go towards the middle-end of August to start the project.  It’s a close window with the November asphalt shut-down.

Mr. Jerome asked, don’t you need time to review the bidders?

Mr. Cappello stated, depending on who we get.  If we get someone we have used in the past or we know.  We always check the math first.  But if we get someone and have to check references, that may take a little longer.  So far, I have two bidders, Skoda Construction, which did the bandshell and F. Buddie who did the sidewalk and the stage.  Those are two big guys so far.

Mr. Jerome asked, have they ever done projects like this?

A member of the audience stated, Buddie has.  He did a project for me.

Mr. Cappello stated, I am going to give a couple of people a call. It does not open until the 21st.  R.J. Platten who did the parking lot out here is a good contractor.  Ronyak Paving is interested too.

Chairman Saponaro asked, anyone else?

Chief Carcioppolo reported, I just received today the annual invoice for the Technical Rescue Team from Shaker Heights.  It was not included today, but the annual fee is $5,000.  It will be coming on the agenda soon.

Chairman Saponaro asked, for the Council meeting?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, I guess probably. It’s already been agreed-upon.  I didn’t actually get a purchase order approved, but since the contract is existing and it was ratified and approved by Council, it’s kind of already determined for the next few years.  I guess it can sit there for three readings.

Chairman Saponaro stated, it’s not an ordinance.  It’s just an expenditure, right?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, right.

Chairman Saponaro stated, then it would not sit there for three readings anyway.  If it has already been approved, I don’t see why the expenditure isn’t approved also.

Mr. Jerome stated, it’s a contract already.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, that’s why I am asking if it even has to come here.

Chairman Saponaro stated, no.  To me, that’s part of the contract.  We have already approved it.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, okay. Good.  That’s fine.

Mr. Jerome asked, what was the timeline on it?  This is money for the upcoming year?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, for this year.  It just took time to get here.  They finalized the final agreement and are establishing the procedure at Shaker Heights’ Finance Department.

Mr. Jerome stated, I guess at least we could go over it.  A quick one minute recap of what we have added and why we need it.

Chairman Saponaro stated, I don’t think we need to do anything.

Mr. Jerome stated, now that he is bringing it up, he can do a quick recap.

Chairman Saponaro stated, but he doesn’t need to do it.

Mr. Jerome stated, I am just asking for it.

Chairman Saponaro stated, he can give it to you after.  There’s no reason to bring it on the floor.

Mr. Jerome stated, okay.  I will flag you in the parking lot.

Chairman Saponaro stated, yes.  You guys can talk about it.  It has been done.  I think it is duplicative.

Mr. Jerome stated, okay.  Just asking questions.

Chairman Saponaro asked, I am sorry Steve?

Mr. Jerome stated, I said sorry for asking questions.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, the contract says all of this.

Chairman Saponaro stated, it’s not sorry for asking the question, but you are telling him to bring it to the floor and have a conversation on it and we have already agreed to it.  That’s all I am saying.

Mr. Jerome stated, no, I just said bring it up again to say where we are at with it.  It’s fine.  I will look back in my notes for it.

Chairman Saponaro stated, you guys can talk about it.

Mr. Jerome stated, you brought it up. We did talk about it extensively.

Chairman Saponaro asked, is there anything else?  On Caucus, we are going to add the discussion on the siding for the ODOT building, the salt bid and the Intergenerational Park bid.  You will talk about that on the floor.

Mr. Diemert stated, under law, we can add the use variance.  You can bring that up.  Also, a possible amendment to the billing charges in the Village for ambulance services that the Administration is working on now.   Ambulance calls for non-residents.

Chairman Saponaro stated, all right.  Anything else?

There was no further discussion.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:35 p.m.  The next Finance Committee meeting is scheduled for Monday, July 24th at 7:30 p.m. in the Main Conference Room at the Mayfield Village Civic Center.