Finance Caucus - December 5th 2016

MINUTES OF THE FINANCE CAUCUS COMMITTEE
Main Conference Room – Mayfield Village Civic Center
Monday, December 5, 2016 – 7:15 p.m.

The Finance Committee met on Monday, December 5, 2016 in the Main Conference Room at the Mayfield Village Civic Center.  Chairman Saponaro called the meeting to order at 7:15 p.m.

ROLL CALL:          

Present: Mr. Saponaro (Chairman), Mr. Marquardt (Council Representative), Mr. Williams (Council Representative), and Dr. Parker (Council Alternate)

Also Present: Mrs. Mills, Mr. Marrie, Mr. Jerome, Mayor Bodnar, Mr. Wynne, Mr. Metzung, Chief Carcioppolo, Chief Edelman, Mr. Thomas, Mr. Diemert, Mr. Marrelli, Ms. Wolgamuth, and Mrs. Betsa

Absent: None

HOUSEKEEPING  

Discussion ensued concerning the times for Committee meetings on Caucus night.  The following schedule was established:

6:45 for Committee meetings such as Drainage and Infrastructure
7:00 for Planning and Zoning
7:15 for Safety and Service
7:30 for Finance Caucus

With regard to Dr. Moyal’s rezoning issue scheduled for consideration by Council at their December meeting, Mr. Diemert reported that the attorney called today and requested that it be postponed to the first Council meeting in January, as early as possible so that he can possibly go on the May primary, with the Board of Elections’ 90-day requirement.  If you were able to call a Special Meeting on the night of Caucus in January just for that purpose.  It could go on immediately after Caucus.

Chairman Saponaro stated, we have an Organizational Meeting on January 9th.  Nothing the first week of January.  We were trying to avoid that so that people who are on vacation are not missing.

Mr. Diemert asked, we can do it the night of the 9th then?

Chairman Saponaro stated, if we have our Organizational Meeting, then we have our Caucus we can do the Special Meeting that evening.

Mr. Diemert stated, the attorney wanted to be with the people to make his last pitch.  It won’t take that long.

Mr. Jerome asked, is this normal?  Are we bending over backwards?

Mr. Diemert replied, no.  It’s to their detriment to delay it.  We are in no hurry.  It’s not going to go on the ballot early anyway.  They were going to be here at the last one, but we postponed it.

ADMINISTRATION:

  • Bid Results - Band Shell Structure – Grove Ampitheatre

Mrs. Wolgamuth reported, in everyone’s packets were the bid results from the bandshell.  We had the bid opening on Friday.  We had six bidders.  Fortunately, three of them are within the parameters.  They were either under the estimate or within 10%.  Unfortunately, I got an e-mail from EFG Property which is the low bidder and they have pulled their bid based on calculation error on the structural steel.  They are permitted to do that within 48 hours.  They pulled their bid.

Mr. Parker is still in the process of verifying the remaining bids.  You will have a recommendation in your packets on Friday.  Mr. Wynne mentioned to me today that if we award this contract this month, we have to amend the budget even though we won’t be expending the funds until next year.  It has to be in this year’s budget.

Mr. Jerome stated, that was a question I asked.  Obviously we have the money to do it with this budget, we just need to amend it and it would be for 2017.

Mrs. Wolgamuth replied, right.  And I would say we could wait until January but because the steel takes so long to get, I think if we don’t award it until January they are going to have a hard time getting it in time.

  • Consulting Contract for Programming Coordinator at The Grove

Mrs. Wolgamuth stated, Mayor Bodnar will report on this item.

Mayor Bodnar reported, we all know that Garry Regan has been the driving force in the operation of The Grove pretty much since its inception.  With his background at Cain Park, he has brought us a lot of expertise and advanced The Grove in many positive ways.  It’s time for us and he has let us know this, that he would like to be paid for his services. Diane and I have met with Garry several times.  You have in your packet a Consultant Proposal for Garry Regan.   This is the packet that we have come up with that is agreeable.  We are putting it before you tonight.  If you approve of this, we would ask Mr. Diemert to put it together as an Independent Contractor proposal.  Garry would not be an employee.  He would be an independent contractor. His monthly consultant fee would be $1,500.  He would report to the Mayor and the Director of Parks and Recreation.  Next year will be a transitional year to see how all of this works out.  We feel that the monthly fee of $1,500 is very reasonable given the range of work which Garry has done and would continue to do. You will see a complete list of his activities and responsibilities.

While we were talking about The Grove, we also brought up the Gazebo and Reserve Hall.  Garry would be willing to take those under his wings and perform the same functions.  We would recommend that for next year we approve of a consulting contract for Mr. Regan for $1,500 a month.

Chairman Saponaro asked, does anyone have any questions on this proposal?

There were none.

BUILDING DEPARTMENT:

  • Civic Hall Drywall Proposals

Mr. Marrelli referred to the memo in Council’s packet.  We went out and got three bids. They ranged from $48,000 down to $13,500.  The low bidder happens to have done work on the Fire Station, Bella’s Remodeling for $13,500.  We will then need another $5,000 for wiring and television sets.  That room will be out of service for a good month while this work is being done.

Chairman Saponaro asked, what month do you think that will be?

Mr. Marrelli replied, it’s either going to be February or March.

Chairman Saponaro asked, so no programming of any kind in there?

Mr. Marrelli replied, nothing.

Mr. Marrie asked, you said that you have worked with this guy before?

Mr. Marrelli replied, ask Gino how this guy works.

Chief Carcioppolo replied, they are good guys.  They are nice.  They are very responsible.  They are clean.

Chairman Saponaro asked, is there somebody you deal with there?

Mr. Marrelli replied, Terry Bella.  He’s the owner of the company.

Mr. Marquardt stated, that’s quite the cheapest from the highest.

Mr. Marrelli replied, it’s low overhead.  There’s a big difference in the overhead.

Chairman Saponaro stated, that does make a difference.  Does anyone else have any questions or concerns regarding this?

Mr. Jerome asked, so we were doing the carpeting.  Now we are doing the drywall.

Mr. Marrelli stated, we have been wanting to cover that block.  We finally sat down and went through an exercise on what we could possibly do.  We found a company that does panel systems on the wall, but we had a ballpark of $80,000.  So the question was, can’t you just drywall it?  I did a quick list of drywall, pieces, parts and got three guys to come and visit.  It’s basically going to be a nice drywall finish.  We will have 3 70 inch t.v.’s with speakers.  The drapes and everything we have will go back up.

Chairman Saponaro asked, really?  Even the drapes?

Mr. Jerome stated, if we are going from carpeting to more remodeling, is there a bigger picture we should be going for?  

Chairman Saponaro stated, to be honest with you, you can’t open all the windows in that room which I think is a problem.  In the summertime you feel like you are in a vault.  If you want to open windows you can’t.

Mr. Marrelli stated, I thought we fixed that.

Chairman Saponaro stated, unless you just did that in the last couple months.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, yes.

Chairman Saponaro stated, the drapes are stationary.  They don’t open. You can’t let natural light in.

Mrs. Mills stated, you have the louvres on the windows.  That was the premise there.

Chairman Saponaro asked, the what?

Mrs. Mills replied, the blinds.

Chairman Saponaro stated, it is just really heavy. It makes the room very heavy.

Mayor Bodnar asked, so do you want us to look into a more modern look for window treatments?  They have to remove the hardware.

Chairman Saponaro stated, I think you should look at that.  If we put them back up, we put them back up, but why not at least contemplate a total view of what that is going to look like?

Mrs. Mills stated, the last time we did those drapes, all that material has to be fireproofed.  How expensive was that?

Mr. Marrelli replied, they were all custom made.

Chairman Saponaro stated, the material was because of the cinder block to soften it.

Dr. Parker stated, I agree with what you are saying. My thoughts on that are obviously you have done a lot of work throughout this entire building, changing the way everything looks in different ways and now we have the new Community Room across the street.  There are a lot of times where we had dinners or meals in this room here and it was all outfitted.  We are not really using it for that quite any more, maybe it is not necessary as much because now we have across the street which are nice facilities.  I think looking at maybe what we want to do to change the way it looks.  We have our Council meetings in here.  Is this the appropriate time for this discussion?

Chairman Saponaro stated, also the kitchen. We have a very large kitchen that is not being utilized very often and certainly the size is not needed.  There could be space that we could also gain.  We have talked about opportunities.

Dr. Parker stated, this is where meetings are.  Business is transacted. I am not saying we should make it more like it used to be when we used to be across the street. But if we start doing all this drywall and everything else, I would agree, let’s figure out what exactly we want to do with that room or that whole area.

Chairman Saponaro stated, sure.  There’s a bigger picture.  The other thing that has been brought up is additional office carols or space or another conference room or something where if Council wants to put packets and things, we tried it upstairs and it doesn’t work.  It could be space that is used by anybody, somebody that’s coming in and there’s a carol there or whatever.  There’s opportunities here.

Mr. Jerome stated, temporary wall dividers.

Chairman Saponaro stated, yes. Something along those lines. There are opportunities here and we should explore them.  If it comes back and it is astronomical we at least looked at it.

Mr. Marrelli asked, should we do this for now or not?

Chairman Saponaro replied, why don’t you guys think it through? You can talk to us at the next meeting and say, let’s go through with this.

Mr. Marrelli stated, somebody needs to acknowledge what it is we want.

Dr. Parker stated, I don’t know that we really know exactly.

Chairman Saponaro stated, part of it is I don’t know what we can get.  For example, that kitchen is huge.  Can you take that kitchen and cut it in half and gain more space?

Mr. Marrelli replied, you will render it useless if you pull any of the equipment out.

Mrs. Mills stated, that won’t work.

Chairman Saponaro stated, that’s what I am saying.  We don’t know.  Are we saying that that space is, it is what is is?

Mr. Marrelli stated, we did that study already.  We looked at it, went through all the different groups that use it.  It’s not used every day, but it gets used a few times a week.

Dr. Parker stated, that was before we had the facility across the street.

Mr. Marrelli stated, they can’t cook over there.

Chairman Saponaro stated, and that’s fine.  We need to at least have a discussion on that.

Mr. Marrelli stated, getting back to the Council Chambers, I would propose that we go through with this exercise.  Get the drywall done.  Get the TV sets up.  Put the curtains back and then if you want to do something later, do something later.

Chairman Saponaro stated, as long as we are going to contemplate it and be able to do it without tearing down what we are putting up.

Mr. Marrelli stated, you shouldn’t have to tear anything out.

Chairman Saponaro stated, you are saying we can’t change anything with the kitchen anyways.

Mr. Marrelli stated, you are not going to change doors and windows once the drywall is up.  We are not making any new holes.

Chairman Saponaro stated, we are not making changes to the kitchen itself from what I am hearing because it would render it useless and you need a full kitchen is what you are saying.

Mr. Marrelli stated, the only thing you could change in that room would be to add something on to the walls.

Chairman Saponaro stated, right.  Or the room itself. Configure the room differently.

Mr. Marrelli stated, then that would be a major partitioning of the room or something which could happen afterwards.

Mrs. Mills asked, what about the mechanics of the hot water?

Mr. Marrelli replied, no problem with that. We are working around it.  The drywall is going to come down to the top of it with a channel.

Mr. Marrie stated, let’s get this done.

Mrs. Mills added, the ceiling, that has to be checked.

Chairman Saponaro stated, I think it would be appropriate if we talk about it on the floor.  We will put it out there.

Mr. Marrelli replied, think about it.  If you look around and say, boy it would be nice to have this, well then bring it to our attention so we can look at it.

Mrs. Mills stated, two years ago at one of our craft shows we had a big leak in the ceiling.  A pipe was broken. It was supposedly fixed, but how they fixed it, they put a bucket underneath where it was.  I think the mechanics and wiring and everything has to be checked.  That’s important.

Mr. Jerome asked, so ceiling tiles, changing the lighting, is that something we want to look at?

Mr. Marrelli stated, you can change the whole ceiling out without affecting the drywall.  Basically it’s like a basement, we are putting drywall over the block.

Chairman Saponaro stated, obviously there’s some interest here in trying to see that room updated, upgraded and maybe more efficient and functioning.

Dr. Parker asked how tall are the ceilings in that room?

Mr. Marrelli replied, I don’t know, 12 feet?

Chairman Saponaro stated, thank you very much.

FINANCE DEPARTMENT:

  • Resolution to advance property taxes

Mr. Wynne stated, this is an annual requirement to tell the County Treasurer as they collect property taxes for 2017 to send us the money as they collect it.

  • Resolution requesting Cuyahoga County Fiscal Officer to Adjust Amended Official Certificate of Resources for 2016

Mr. Wynne reported, these are the final budget adjustments for our revenues that we inform the County about so they can see that our revenues are sufficient enough to pay our expenses.

  • Advances and transfers

Mr. Wynne reported, we will have to approve the final transfers for the budget.  I gave Council a memo that itemized every single transfer that we will need to record.  I just wanted to touch on a few of them.  If you have any questions on any of the other ones, please feel free to ask.

- General Fund to Community Room Fund had originally been $40,000. That’s going to be $115,000.  If you recall Council during the year passed a change order for $75,000 in case of type monies.  We came in considerably below that.  I think we were in the $35,000-40,000 range.  We are still going to transfer the full amount into the Community Room Fund because we do have some items on the capital budget for next year that we are looking to do like outside patio furniture as well as an ADA push button type door set up.

- General Fund to the Sanitary Sewer Relief Fund – the budget reflected -0-.  We are going to transfer $1.5 million.  We conservatively budgeted $14 million for income taxes. We are going to be around $17.3-17.5 million.  Of that amount, we are going to take $1.5 million and move it into that Fund which will then give us enough money to pay for the final sewer conversion project which we have in the capital budget for next year.  We still have that application out there where you apply for $1 million of DOPWIC money which we hope goes through but in the event it does not, we still have the money to pay for the whole project

Mr. Jerome asked, we put in to get the money for that this past year.  Do we still have one more time to put it in or if we don’t get this, we are done?

Mr. Wynne replied, we can keep putting it in as long as we want.  It’s just a matter of whether you want to delay the project further.

Mr. Jerome stated, maybe it was last year, we weren’t going to do it for this year but we did it because we wanted to give it two more tries.

Mr. Wynne replied, we applied for it in September.  We should find out some time this month where we are in the standings.  We are anticipating not to get it.  We got it on Eastgate/Meadowood.  It was just a fluke.  We were denied, but some of the other municipalities that had been approved decided to pull their projects and they had the money available so they said, hey, if you want it, you got it.

Mr. Jerome asked, so if we did it again, we would have to wait until the summer to sign a contract? We can do everything but actually award the contract?

Mr. Wynne replied, yes.  July 1st is the cutoff date.  If we wanted to just hang on to see if maybe something comes through, like if we get denied, if we want to hang on in case it might change, we can’t award the work until after July 1st.

-General Fund to the Parkview Pool Improvement Fund – was originally $200,000. It is going to be $327,000.  It’s increase of the transfer but not an increase of the budget.  We budgeted $200,000 for the pool, the addition to the pool filter building and $127,000 for equipment. The $127,000 for equipment was budgeted in the General Fund.  We were assuming that it was going to be two independent projects, do the building addition first and then buy the equipment after.  We decided to bid it together.  I am just accounting for the project in one fund versus two funds.  The transfer amount went up. The amount for the General Fund is going to go down. It’s a wash.  It’s no additional cost.

-We budgeted that the sewer project for Eastgate/Meadowood was going to come in $288,000 under budget.  We were able to transfer those leftover funds to the Sewer Conversion Fund.  It came in $422,000 under budget so the amount of transfer going from that project back to the Sewer Fund is $422,000 instead of $288,000.

Aside from that, all the other transfers are pretty much what we had budgeted.

Chairman Saponaro asked, does anyone have any questions?

There were none.

  • Final appropriations for January 1, 2016 through December 31, 2016

Mr. Wynne reported, you will receive a detail of the final budget.  It is pretty much just going to be a budget that reflects the items that Council approved during the year that had not been previously budgeted.

  • Temporary appropriations for January 1, 2017 through March 31, 2017

Mr. Wynne reported, we pass our 2017 budget in March.  This is just a temporary budget for the first quarter of the year so we can do business while working through the budget process.

  • 2017 Estimated Annual Premium – Worker’s Compensation

Mr. Wynne reported, I don’t know if you recall, at this time last year, Worker’s Compensation changed their method of billing for insurance where in the past they have always billed in arrears, now they are billing in advance.  As part of that transition, they gave us pretty much a year for free so they saved us about $100,000.  Now starting in 2017, we have two options. One is to pay monthly or to pay the entire amount in full by January 3rd of 2017 and get a 2% discount.  The premium is going to be around $112,000.  We will be asking Council at the meeting this month to approve that 2017 payment so that when we come back from the holiday break, we can make that payment and save $2,200 because we have the money to do so.

FIRE DEPARTMENT:

  • Formation of Heights-Hillcrest Technical Rescue Team for Special Rescue Services

Chief Carcioppolo reported, this is the Tech Team Shared Services Agreement. The financial aspect is $5,000 for next year, $5,200 for the following year, $5,400 for the following year.  It caps out at $6,000 which will bring all 14 communities that are merging into one unit be for the same value because there are some that are higher and some that are lower.  This just equalizes all of that.  We have not realized an increase in our Tech Team expenditures since 2003.  It would cap at $6,000. That’s what the Agreement calls for.

Chairman Saponaro asked, if you have a non-participating municipality, you charge them $6,000?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, and, whatever the rates are, equipment use and costs.

Chairman Saponaro asked, so $6,000 is the base?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, there’s more add ons.

Chairman Saponaro asked, and they can take it to where?  Where could that possibly be?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, a lot.  I can’t give you an accurate figure.

Chairman Saponaro stated, only because it didn’t seem to me initially, what’s the incentive to join?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, the incentive to join is we have used, between the hazmat team and technical rescue team in the three years I have been in this position, we have used the hazmat team once and three call outs for the tech team.  In three years it would have been the minimum we would have been spending is $24,000.  We cannot support these services without being a member of a regional team.

Chairman Saponaro stated, I think it’s of value. The other thing is that Exhibit A showed the list of equipment but where is that equipment?  It doesn’t delineate who has what.  Not that I saw and maybe I didn’t read it properly.  The bigger question is, let’s say that another municipality has that equipment and that goes out of service.  Are they required to replace it?  What if they don’t?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, that would be controlled by the Executive Board that will be appointed to control.  This is just to establish what both of the separate teams have currently. The bigger things are clearly the vehicles that everyone’s bringing to the table.  The itemized list of the equipment.  To be honest with you, there are probably some little things that aren’t on the list.

Chairman Saponaro stated, I understand.  But the control aspect of it. If something goes out of service, that’s going to be taken care of through your policies and procedures?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, basically how it’s been taken care of all these years.

Mr. Diemert added, there’s going to be a contract too that we are working on.

Chairman Saponaro stated, so in addition to this?

Mr. Diemert replied, yes.

Mr. Jerome stated, looks like Beachwood, Cleveland Heights and Euclid are going to make out.  What’s the advantage to us to both teams merging together?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, this basically articulates what we have already kind of been doing.  We have already been functioning even though we are under two separate entities right now.  So by combining into one we will have one set of policies and procedures. This also would be representative of almost 25% of the Cuyahoga County Fire Departments.  That whole regional push, we are not going to be duplicating equipment between the two.  We are going to be able to strategically place equipment better.  Being joined up with those teams, Mayfield Heights, Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights, those are all considerably larger departments.  We are gaining that on-duty personnel that represents those departments that help balance out us not having as many people.

Dr. Parker stated, some have a larger area of service.  They are bigger communities.

Chief Carcioppolo replied, they have higher populations, but their square mileage is.

Dr. Parker referred to Beachwood, it’s huge. They have so much commercial.

Chief Carcioppolo replied, but we would be gaining that extra manpower to come

Dr. Parker asked, but are we really gaining that manpower?  Those people are needed to be utilized in Beachwood.  That’s high volume.

Mr. Jerome asked, what’s the total calls for all these?

Chief Carcioppolo stated, we are not using this for our day to day calls.

Mr. Jerome stated, no I am saying we needed to use this four times in the past four years.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, it might have even been one more time.

Mr. Jerome stated, what you are saying, Beachwood, is it three times as much?  They needed it 12 times?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, as far as their shared part, I don’t know exactly what their exposure is, but I believe it is actually -

Dr. Parker stated, it’s not important.

Chief Carcioppolo replied, no.  I think it’s irrelevant because we can’t provide these services alone with four people on duty.

Mr. Marrie stated, you are gaining.

Chief Carcioppolo replied, cost-wise though we are already spending $5,000 a year and we are not going to be able to offer these services if we are not a part of a regional team.  We could roll the dice which I am not recommending we do, and take a step back and say, we will pay you the $6,000 and we are out but then what you are also losing is that experience and knowledge for our guys that participate in the team to embrace while they are here.  That’s something that’s irreplaceable. You don’t want a guy that doesn’t have the knowledge for trench rescue and structural collapse rescue and high rope rescue responding to an emergency like that because you are going to be waiting for the Tech Team to respond.

Dr. Parker stated, I am not questioning the need to be a part, I am just trying to balance the relevant cost of the one community versus another versus the size of the community versus the number of calls and that we are getting our appropriate share.

Mr. Marrie stated, we are paying the same thing right now.

Dr. Parker stated, I know, but they are paying less.

Mr. Metzung asked, are you questioning whether Hillcrest should be joining the Heights group?

Dr.  Parker stated, I am just questioning the financials of this.

Chief Carcioppolo replied, if you want I can get you numbers.

Dr. Parker stated, Beachwood is going down.  I know there is a savings, but I am just saying why wouldn’t ours go down?

Chief Carcioppolo stated, I understand what you are saying.

Dr. Parker stated, why is ours staying the same but theirs goes down?  Why shouldn’t everybody’s go down?

Chief Carcioppolo stated, how the Heights area was structured originally was based on the size of the community.  The actual utilization doesn’t actually typically come off the size of the community, it comes off what your hazards are.  So our motto for the Hillcrest area has always been everyone just pays an equal share.  We have all paid $5,000 a year since 2003, I believe.  By merging the teams, that motto seemed to be the more appropriate way to handle it because we have a good portion of the Metroparks in our area so we do have the instances where people are stuck in a ravine or in a river, whereas Cleveland Heights, their exposure to that stuff isn’t as great as ours is.  It isn’t necessarily based on the population or the size of the community.

Dr. Parker stated, but we have been managing it at a certain cost and have been managing it at a certain cost.  If we are bringing in higher numbers so we can spread those costs out and theirs are going down, why wouldn’t ours go down too?

Chief Carcioppolo stated, we have not increased our cost annually in the last 10-15 years.  2003 or 2004 was when it went to $5,000.  That cost was never increased.  The cost of equipment has gone up.

Dr. Parker asked, why are they paying less?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, we are combining and sharing the cost equally.

Chairman Saponaro stated, I think what’s missing here is the equipment, what you guys are utilizing, the cost of the equipment and utilization of the equipment is not what you are paying the $6,000 a year for.

Chief Carcioppolo replied, that’s for training and maintaining equipment.

Chairman Saponaro stated, right.  So what you are getting now is you are getting access to all of this other equipment which you would not have access to that you don’t have to buy, number one.  Number two, there is the unlikely event that three communities are going to be out on an event at the same time, same day.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, we had that last year or the year before.

Chairman Saponaro stated, but now this gives you a greater opportunity.  Beachwood may be taken up, but there may be other places that are part of the team that can assemble here.  Besides the dues, it’s really the value that from my understanding was the equipment and the opportunity.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, and training.

Chairman Saponaro stated, right.  And we are not having to go out and spend capital.

Dr. Parker asked, so you are saying we are not adding as much value as per se Beachwood is?  Is that why our prices haven’t gone down but theirs have?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, they are paying right now for two tech teams.  They are a member of the Hillcrest team and the Heights team.

Dr. Parker stated, but if you look at the chart, their cost goes down.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, their price does go down.

Dr. Parker stated, either we are not adding as much value so we have to pay more if that’s what you are telling me or the reduction in cost overall for everyone –

Chairman Saponaro stated, I don’t think they thought about it that way, Steve.

Dr. Parker stated, I know, I am playing devil’s advocate.

Chairman Saponaro stated, yes you are.  And here’s the thing, I think they got together and they said, here’s the number, so really you have the two teams, if everybody on Hillcrest decided that they wanted to do it and we don’t, then we can opt out if we are not satisfied, because basically this is going through.  They have already decided and made the choice. Now it becomes a contract at that point.  But I think what they are doing is whoever was putting it together they just equalized it.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, the training is the most expensive part.

Chairman Saponaro stated, the training is the most expensive but it doesn’t change no matter what community you are in.  What you are talking about is more on the other end of it and that’s not something that we are paying for anyways.

Dr. Parker stated, I am just saying, whatever.  It’s only $5,000.

Mr. Marrie stated, we get all that extra equipment we don’t have to buy.

Chief Carcioppolo stated there are some, like UH, that is going up from $2,400 to $6,000.  If everyone’s equalizing out at that number-

Mr. Jerome asked, how long is the contract?

Chairman Saponaro replied, until 2022.

Mr. Jerome stated, if we feel that they are not paying their fair share, we can cut out?

Chairman Saponaro replied, yes.

Dr. Parker stated, obviously, what’s the utilization?

Chief Carcioppolo stated, this is no different than what we have been doing.  This is just actually articulating it.

Chairman Saponaro stated, we have to move along.  You can talk about it on the floor of Caucus.

PARKS & REC:

  • Wildcat Sports and Fitness Rental for September 2015-August 2016 (Mayfield City Schools- pass through)

Mr. Thomas reported, we are still scrutinizing the figure.  I will bring it back at Council.  I will put it in your packets.

POLICE DEPARTMENT:

  • 911 Cellular Services, LLC

Chief Edelman stated, this is a software package. The annual fee is $6,000 plus $1,000 maintenance.  I will talk about the actual program on the floor.

Mr. Jerome asked, do we get a better price since he is a Mayfield Village resident?

Chief Edelman replied, no.

SERVICE DEPARTMENT:

  • Tree lawn trimming along Aintree Park, Hunt Circle and Wildwood Trail

Mr. Metzung reported, we are looking to do some tree lawn trimming along Aintree Park, Hunt Circle and Wildwood.  It is a program that we have done for a while. We try to do $30,000-40,000 every year and move from neighborhood to neighborhood.  This will finally get us out of the Aintree Park neighborhood.  We have been there forever it seems like.  We did a hunk of Wildwood already this year.  This will get us out of there.  We will still have a couple cul de sacs in the Bramblewood area to get there.  We are going to do Hanover Woods the following year.  I have asked Ron to put a little more in the budget for next year for that.  I don’t see us planting trees the way we have in the past.  We will be spending more on maintaining the trees we have.

  • PIPE program under MS4 Storm Water Permit (provided by Cuyahoga Soil and Water)

Mr. Metzung stated, as we have talked in the past regarding Euclid Creek MOU.

Council President Saponaro asked, does this financially impact us?

Mr. Metzung replied, it’s a $5,000 cost.

Council President Saponaro asked, PIPE v. Euclid Creek?

Mr. Metzung replied, this is a separate program through the Cuyahoga Soil and Water.  We have typically used Euclid Creek for this.  The County has come out with this program.  You can get the money back from the Regional Sewer District.  At the end of the day it will cost us nothing but we have to pay the money up front in order to get it back.

Council President Saponaro stated, we can go through this on the floor of Council.

  • Cloud Based Tracking Software for service requests, building/fleet maintenance and GIS mapping.

Mr. Metzung stated, right now we use Filemaker for tracking our work orders.  I am not a big fan of it.  This is taking it to the next level.  It’s called Dude Solutions 311.  We will be looking at GIS through this program and another for facilities and fleet maintenance.  They are all separated in that.  It really is pretty comprehensive.  I have talked to a gentleman that uses it at Willoughby Eastlake Schools. He has found it to be a great tool.

ANY OTHER MATTERS:

Chairman Saponaro asked, any other matters?

There were none

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 8:00 p.m.  The next Finance Committee meeting is scheduled for Monday, December 19, 2016 at 7:30 p.m. in the Main Conference Room at the Mayfield Village Civic Center.