D&I - April 6th 2015

DRAINAGE & INFRASTRUCTURE
STORM WATER MANAGEMENT
Committee Meeting Minutes
April 6, 2015

The Drainage & Infrastructure Committee met on Monday, April 6, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. at the Mayfield Village Civic Hall. 

Present: Tom Cappello (Engineer), Steve Jerome (Council Representative), Tom Marrie (Council Representative), Tom Marsalis (Resident Representative), Doug Metzung (Service Director), and Susan Jerome (Committee Secretary)

Absent: Jerry Catalano (Resident Representative) and Joe Saponaro (Council Representative)

Also in Attendance: Mr. & Mrs. Batcheller (6784 Wilson Mills), Mr. Consolo (800 Village Trail), Dr. DePaul (477 Hickory Hill), Mr. Mackie (6206 No. Woodlane), and  Mr. Perout (902 Beechers Brook)

Mrs. Horvath 6483 Highland Rd.

Doug Metzung, Service Director, asked the committee for clarification on their intentions for this property. Do they want to follow the recommendation to disconnect the downspouts and install a backsplash? Did the committee want him to find a contractor to do this job? Do they want Mrs. Horvath to be responsible for the 10% payment?

Tom Marrie, Council Representative, asked what Doug thought the cost of this might be? Doug Metzung said less than $1,000.00. Mrs. Horvath will be responsible for 10% of the cost of the project.

The committee agreed to have Doug go forward; hire a contractor and oversee the project.

Mr. Mackie 6206 N. Woodlane

Doug Metzung, Service Director, explained this project is addressing stream bank erosion.

Tom Cappello, Village Engineer, again advised waiting for N.E.O.R.S.D. because the front yard issues have far-reaching implications that can be better addressed through them. To widen the creek might cause further problems.

Mr. Mackie explained that the situation has gotten worse since he moved in. The 2 steel beams, in concrete, are caving in. The side of the bank that has stone reinforcement, is fine. There is erosion on the other side of the bank.

Steve Jerome, Council Representative asked if there was anything we could do to stop the erosion until we know what will happen with N.E.O.R.S.D.? Tom Marrie, Council Representative said, even if it’s temporary but will give him some assistance. It appears this project is beyond the scope of the D&I Committee.

The committee agreed stone should be installed to stop the bank erosion for now.

Mr. & Mrs. Batcheller 6784 Wilson Mills

Doug Metzung, Service Director, went to the property. The water is further back in the yard and not a threat to the house. The trees and landscaping appear to be impeding the flow of water. Tom Cappello, Village Engineer, said a sewer line could be run to Wilson Mills. He suggested doing some surveying in the back yard to see if there’s something that can be done.

Mr. Batcheller asked that, if there’s nothing the Village can do, can they at least offer some recommendations? Tom Cappello will address this after the survey work is completed.

Mr. Consolo 800 Village Trail

Doug Metzung, Service Director, advised the committee of the estimate from Anselmo Landscaping to do the work. A swale will be created, lined with stone, between Mr. Consolo’s yard and his neighbor’s yard.

Mr. Consolo asked if there was a drawing he might look at and would like to know what type of stone would be used. Tom Cappello, Village Engineer, said they can spray paint the area where the swale will be installed. The stone will be river rock. The bid from Mr. Anselmo has #3 stone which might be too small. Doug Metzung, Service Director, will get another quote from Mr. Anselmo which addresses the larger size of rock to be used.

The committee will address this project again, at the next meeting, with the new quote.

Mr. Setlock 6818 Bonnieview

Steve Jerome, Council Representative, asked Susan Jerome, committee secretary, if she had gotten in touch with Mr. Setlock? Susan Jerome said that Mr. Setlock stated he does not need any assistance from the committee at this time.

Steve Jerome, Council Representative, tabled this request for the time being.

Dr. DePaul 477 Hickory Hill

Doug Metzung, Service Director, said gutters are needed at the side of the house by the pool. He has to hire a contractor to see if the drain tile is broken which could be the source of the flooding. Dr. DePaul asked if adding shrubs and landscaping to the area would help? Doug said it may help.

Steve Jerome, Council Representative, said to talk to a contractor and contact Doug with any questions.

Mr. Wallace 6785 Wilson Mills

Doug Metzung, Service Director and Tom Cappello, Village Engineer, will go out to the property and assess the problem. Susan Jerome will contact Mr. Wallace to set-up a time for them to meet with Mr. Wallace.

Mr. Perout  902 Beechers Brook

Tom Cappello, Village Engineer, said the state used a pole camera and discovered a blockage 10’ up from the inlet. ODOT is responsible for the area in the right-of-way and the Village is responsible for anything in the easement. Tom will keep in touch with the state and the progress they are making on this project.

Mr. Gittozzi 6774 Meadowood

Tom Cappello, Village Engineer, said he didn’t see any major problem.

A D&I meeting was scheduled for May 4, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. at Civic Hall.

The meeting adjourned at 6:57 p.m.