D&I - October 7th 2013

Committee Meeting Minutes
October 7, 2013

The Drainage & Infrastructure Committee met on Monday, October 7, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. at the Mayfield Village Civic Hall. 

Present: Tom Cappello (Engineer), Jerry Catalano (Resident Representative), Nick Delguyd (Council Representative), Tom Marrie (Co-Chair), Doug Metzung (Service Director), and Susan Jerome (Committee Secretary)                              

Absent: Joanne Cinco (Co-Chair) and Tom Marsalis (Resident Representative)

Fienga 905 Beechers Brook

Doug Metzung, Service Director, explained the scope of the project to the committee.

Mr. Fienga has water coming from his neighbor’s yard into his backyard. Since the property is flat, it pools causing flooding. Nick Delguyd, Council Representative, asked if grading the yard would alleviate the problem. Doug said the yard is too flat for grading. Tom Marrie, Council Representative asked if the resident contributed to the problem through altering the terrain or landscaping.  Tom Cappello, Village Engineer, said no, it’s the natural grade of the property.

Approval to move forward was given by the committee. Anselmo's Inc. will perform the work at a cost of $5,200.00.

Setlock 6818 Bonnieview

This project was approved in 2012. The resident had a concern with paying the required 10% of the project cost based on the fact that his neighbor would also benefit from the improvement. Tom Cappello, Village Engineer, felt the improvement was to benefit Mr. Setlock’s property eventhough some of the work has to be performed on his neighbor’s property.  Doug Metzung, Service Director, told Mr. Setlock he would ask the committee their opinion. The committee unanimously agreed that the 10% resident contribution was firm and fair. Nick Delguyd said Mr. Setlock is welcome to come to the meeting and express his opinion.

Susan Jerome will let Mr. Setlock know the decision of the committee regarding the resident contribution. Anselmo's Inc. will perform the work at a cost of $9,720.00 if the resident agrees to the 10% contribution.

Horvath 6483 Highland Rd.

Doug Metzung, Service Director, and Tom Cappello, Village Engineer, visited the site. The Fire Department intentionally flooded the road so Doug and Tom could determine where the problem originates and it’s affect on the resident’s property. Road drainage does not enter the area in front of the garage. The majority of the water comes from her neighbor’s property that sits higher. 

Tom Cappello explained that several proposals were reviewed to correct the problem. An extensive proposal, to install a storm sewer and swales at the cost of $38,532.00 was dismissed by the committee. The second proposal, to install a swale and grade the property, is being considered by the committee. This would still cause water in her backyard but take it away from her garage.  The cost is $1,900.00

Tom Cappello stated that, in a previous meeting, Mrs. Horvath said she did not want to pay the 10% resident contribution because she has already spent thousands of dollars on trying to fix the problem. The committee agreed that Mrs. Horvath would be responsible for the 10% resident contribution.

Susan Jerome will send an application to Mrs. Horvath.

Doug Metzung explained that the following properties were originally submitted to the Regional Sewer District under the newly formed storm water program which assists communities with flooding issues. The program has been terminated until the courts can review the concerns presented by various groups. Tom Marrie, Council Representative, asked if these projects can be put on hold until the courts come to a decision. Nick Delguyd, Council Representative, further explained that it could possibly take years for a decision to be reached and in the meantime, the funds are currently frozen and unable to be accessed or utilized for any projects.

Schreiber 925 Worton Park

Doug Metzung, Service Director, explained that water currently washes across her property and gathers against the back of her garage during a heavy rainfall. Doug Metzung stated that action should be taken as soon as possible on this property.

Susan Jerome will send a D&I application to Mr. and Mrs. Schreiber.

Mackie 6206 North Woodlane

Mr. Mackie’s original request for assistance was addressed at the September 4, 2012 committee meeting. This project is a stream restoration/erosion problem. At that meeting, it was decided that the project would be presented to the Sewer District. In light of the current situation with the sewer district, the committee will now have to revisit the request at a future D&I meeting.

The original D&I application is on file in the Service Department.

Rodriguez 6451 Derby Drive

Doug Metzung, Service Director, said the committee will need to assess his request. The two culvert pipes are deteriorating which will eventually block the drainage completely. The potential for future problems is imminent.

Susan Jerome will send Mr. Rodriguez a D&I application.

Doug Metzung also mentioned that the property behind Fisher’s Tavern will have to be reviewed by the committee.

The meeting adjourned at 7:35 p.m.