Records - April 30th 2014
Records Commission Meeting
Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 12:00 p.m.
Mayfield Village Civic Center
Attending: Mary Beth Betsa, Diane Calta, Cheryl Garinger, Donna Heath, Laurie Hughes, Susan Jerome, Suzanne McCann, Maura McKinley, Patsy Mills, Nancy Plastine, Jean Vitek and Danielle Echt.
Introduction: The meeting was called to order at approximately 12:24 p.m. Maura made a motion to accept the March 5, 2014 Minutes. Cheryl seconded. All in attendance approved.
Revisions to Records Retention Schedules
- Mary Beth reported that revisions are still being made.
Off-site Storage Update
- Laurie reported that on April 1, the Finance Department sent 26 boxes, the Recreation Department sent 12 and Human Services sent 2. The total was 40 boxes for off-site storage.
- Saturday, May 17, 2014, from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Susan asked if the Village paid a flat fee for the service. Mary Beth said yes. Susan said Doug was asking why there is a limit for the number of boxes then. Diane and Mary Beth said that the program is generally geared from residential use. The committee agreed to the number of boxes also because it takes time to unload boxes and have the items shredded. Patsy asked if we advertised if it was also for businesses? The flyer lists both. Mary Beth said nobody has been turned away yet. Jean suggested that the flyer needs to be adjusted.
- The committee asked if there were any groups using the Civic Center that morning. Danielle said that the youth drawing program was there but she thinks it starts in the afternoon. After the meeting Danielle checked and there is nobody scheduled in the building that morning.
- The following people agreed to help at Shred Day: Susan, Mary Beth, Patsy, Nancy and Maura.
- Cheryl suggested that the volunteers wear bright colors for safety reasons. Jean reminded the group to make sure they placed out cones for a traffic pattern.
Public Records Policy Revisions
- Diane reported that there were none.
Status of Public Records Requests
- Maura said they have had a few.
- Diane said there was nothing pending.
- Mary Beth reminded the committee that she maintains a log as best practice to keep track of records requests.
- Diane said there was none
- Mary Beth said that House Bill 9 training is May 23 with the Auditor of State of Ohio in Reserve Hall. She said enrollment is a little low because the same training is being held at Lakeland. Mary Beth said that it is okay for Council to appoint a designee to attend as long as that designee is appointed prior to attending.
- Mary Beth reported that Ron approved the replacement of obsolete IT items so they will be taken to the Service Department for the county recycling program.
- Mary Beth relayed information from Mark Weber that said that if a hard copy document is able to be destroyed, it must also be removed from the computer. Both copies need to be destroyed. Diane said that police and fire are different because their reports involve the state, etc. Maura questioned the destruction of OVI incidents and said that it needs to be adjusted on the retention schedule. Diane said if the court maintains records, we shouldn’t need to save or duplicate.
- The meeting concluded at 12:56 p.m.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, July 23, 12:00 p.m. at Wiley Park
Danielle M. Echt