Rec Board: October 18th 2017
Mayfield Village Parks and Recreation Board Meeting
Wednesday, October 18, 2017, 7:00 p.m.
Mayfield Village Civic Center
Present: Aaron Caunter, Patti Fioritto, Derek McDowell, Tom Marrie, Mary Murphy, Dave Perout, Laura Prcela, Meg Stifler, and Kate Sullivan
Also Present: Shane McAvinew and Danielle Echt
Absent: Pat Andrzejczyk, Sara Calo, Stivo DiFranco, Peggy Kerver, Troy Koch, Steve Jerome, Shelly Kovacevic, Pam Schutt, and Lori Sperling
Introduction: Kate called the meeting to order at 7:04 p.m. Patti made a motion to approve the September 20, 2017 Minutes as written and Meg seconded. All committee members agreed.
Senior Program Updates
- The November trip is to tour Tara and Buhl mansions.
- The deadline to receive snow removal applications to opt in was October 4. We have over 200 applications to opt in to date. Please remind your neighbors to submit them if they haven’t already done so. Seniors have until December 31 to submit opt out applications.
- The November foot clinic will be on the 10th at the Civic Center.
- The next Community Partnership on Aging Lunch n’ Movie will be Wednesday, November 1. The cost is $5.
- The Commission on Aging meeting was held on October 12.
- There will be an AARP Safe Driving Class on October 25 at the Civic Center.
- The 4th Annual Mayfield Art Show will be held at the Mayfield Branch Library from October 15 through the 22nd. There will be a reception for the artists and patrons on Sunday, October 15 from 2-4 p.m.
- The November Lunch & Movie at Governor’s Village is on Wednesday, November 15.
Halloween Party Update (Saturday, October 21, 1:30 -3:00 p.m. Civic Center)
- Danielle said that registration is a little low with just over forty kids registered. She said there are approximately double in the amount of adults attending. Danielle said that they would still take registration if anyone called in.
- Danielle reported that everything was ready for supplies and games.
- Shane was able to secure volunteers from the Interact Club at the high school. He also said the local Girl Scout troop will help.
- Meg said that she plans on decorating and setting up Friday afternoon. Danielle said she will email the committee to see if anyone can help out. Danielle said that Paul Lynch is also available to set up the Haunted House on Friday as well.
- One of the biggest challenges this year is that decorations/signs cannot be taped to the wall since the room was just remodeled late last year. Meg was able to find some cardboard cutouts to stand on the ground and then balloons were ordered as well. A few committee members will be needed to pick up balloons and Danielle will coordinate with them.
- Shane explained a situation where a parent from Center School called to register for the party but they did not live in Mayfield Village. Danielle said they could not register but suggested registering with their city for their party. Shane said the caller was rude to Danielle so in this case, he would not allow it but in the future, if we advertise the parties at Center School maybe we allow non-residents who go to school there register so that they can be with their friends. The committee members agreed that handling it on a case by case basis would be fine.
Halloween Window Painting Contest Update
- Shane said the contest was going well. He said that it was a bit of a struggle to get windows and getting everything in order for the painters is time consuming. Shane said that in the future, some changes will be made to the contest to give the recreation department more time to get everything together.
- Danielle reported that there were 54 windows painted on by 88 students.
Santa Ride/Party Update (Saturday, December 9, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.)
- Danielle said that the flyer will be created soon so it will be put on the website and the ride schedule will be in the Voice of the Village.
- Danielle said there has been discussion over the years about updating Santa’s progress along the ride route on social media. This year, residents will be able to get updates by subscribing to the Mayfield Village Parks and Recreation Department’s Facebook page.
- Mary said that Wildcat Sport & Fitness is looking for a spin instructor. Shane said it should be posted on the school’s website.