Rec Board: January 25th 2017

Mayfield Village Parks and Recreation Board Meeting
Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 7:00 p.m.
Mayfield Village Civic Center


Present:  Pat Andrzejczyk, Aaron Caunter, Stivo DiFranco, Patti Fioritto, Peggy Kerver, Tom Marrie, Derek McDowell, Mary Murphy, Dave Perout, Laura Prcela, Pam Schutt, Lori Sperling, Meg Stifler

Also Present: Sara Calo, Shane McAvinew, Sean Supler, Bill Thomas and Danielle Echt

Absent: Shelly Kovacevic, Troy Koch and Kate Sullivan

Introduction:  Meg called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.  Pat made a motion to approve the November 9, 2016 Minutes as written and Patti seconded.   All committee members agreed.    Meg said that a volunteer sign up sheet for Recreation Board sponsored parties was being passed around.   Everyone introduced themselves to the new Recreation Director, Shane McAvinew.  Shane gave a quick overview of his career.  Everyone welcomed Shane.

Senior Program Updates

  • For the 2016-17 season, 135 applications to opt out of snow removal were received. To date, 224 total applications to opt in to snow removal have been received (200 single and 24 circular.)
  • Volunteers from AARP will offer income tax assistance to residents on Mondays February 20, and April 3 at noon, 1:00, 2:00, or 3:00 p.m. Residents should call the Senior Services Office to make an appointment.
  • The next Community Partnership on Aging Lunch n’ Movie will be Wednesday, February 8. The cost is $5 and reservations must be made by the week before by calling CPA.
  • The February foot clinic will be on the 3rd at the Civic Center. The cost is $20.
  • The February Lunch & Movie at Governor’s Village is on Wednesday, February 15. The movie is “Keeping the Faith.” The cost is $5 and reservations must be made by the week before by calling Senior Services.
  • There will be a Lunch n’ Learn on February 1 The topic is “Keeping Your Brain Healthy” and it is being sponsored by Aria at Gates Mills Assisted Living.
  • One-Stroke Painting classes began in January as did new sessions of cooking/baking classes, watercolor, Spanish lessons, knitting/crocheting, and Bereavement.

Santa Party & Ride Evaluation

  • The committee members agreed that pre-registration was a great idea for the party. Danielle said that approximately 150 people registered and 60 were kids.  Meg said everything seemed to go well and the committee members agreed.
  • The Santa Ride through the Village went well and was mostly on schedule. Dave suggested using twitter so that residents know where Santa is in the Village.  Someone suggested the elves handle the tweeting along the ride.    Tom thanked Santa for all he does for Mayfield Village.

Easter Party Planning/Discussion (Saturday, April 8)

  • Bill said that the party is planned for the Civic Center. He said cones could be used to block off the East driveway and the circle.   The grass area should be big enough but he said there would be traffic for Heinen’s coming into the lot.
  • Danielle said with the renovations of Civic Hall at the Civic Center, she wasn’t sure how much decorating could be done. There will be new walls and new carpet so there may be limits.
  • Sara said that she would like to have the party at the Community Room because there wouldn’t be a safety issue with kids and traffic. She said the grounds are better over there as well.  Sean said that the Community Room is already booked.  Derek asked if it was okay if the room was double booked for the day.    Danielle and Sean said they don’t know when the use is for the day.  The committee members suggested changing the party time if it would work to have it in there. Bill said he would check into it.  Post Meeting Note:  The party will be held at the Community Room from 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
  • Meg asked if there should be a magician and balloon twister this year or a bigger craft with less entertainment. The committee members agreed to a magician and balloon twister with smaller craft.    Peggy said Luke cannot do the magic show this year because he is away at school. Danielle said she can follow up with Rick Smith Junior. Laura said that she might have someone as well and would send Danielle the contact information.  Shane said he has used someone in the past before and will provide Danielle with information.   The committee members suggested using walk around magic instead of one big show.  
  • Danielle and Meg will work on supplies for the party. Meg will try to come with up with decoration ideas but it will probably need to be limited to table tops and balloons. 

Open Discussion

  • Bill said he met with Mr. and Mrs. Hudacko about the annual run. They suggested offering the Debbie Hudacko Memorial Run/Walk on a different day so it does not conflict with the Johnnycake Run.  Bill said that Garry Regan also suggested having the walk/run during The Grove Fitness Day which is Saturday, August 5.  The Recreation Board members agreed to try it this year.  Dave also said it is a good time to try a change because there is still money in the account for scholarships. So even if this year is not successful, the Village can still give out the scholarship.  Danielle asked how it would work with our current sponsors; if they would share sponsorship with the other Grove sponsors.  Bill said the two would be kept separate. 
  • Bill said everything is in the works for the heater building at Parkview Pool. He also said the leak has been found at the pool and will be taken care of for the 2017 season.  
  • Bill also distributed Wildcat Sport & Fitness Member Demographics (see attachment).

The meeting concluded at approximately 7:49 p.m.

Next Meeting: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 7:00 p.m. at the Civic Center