Rec Board - February 18th 2015
Mayfield Village Parks and Recreation Board Meeting
Wednesday, February 18, 2015, 7:00 p.m.
Mayfield Village Civic Center
Attending: Peggy Kerver, Tom Marrie, Mary Murphy, Dave Perout, Meg Stifler, Kate Sullivan, Sean Supler, Bill Thomas and Danielle Echt.
Introduction: Meg called the meeting to order at 7:03 p.m. She asked for approval of the approval of the January 21, 2015 Minutes. Mary made a motion and Tom seconded. All in attendance approved. A volunteer sign-up sheet for Recreation Special Event parties was passed around.
Senior Program Updates
- The next Lunch n’ Movie is March 11. The movie is “The Hundred-Foot Journey”, and reservations are due by March 4. The menu is Quiche with sundried tomatoes, spinach, and feta. The cost is $5 per person for lunch.
- Foot Clinics will be held March 13 and 27 from 1-3 p.m. The cost is $20. We are already booked for March 13, but appointments are still available on March 27.
- Volunteers from AARP will be doing taxes for Mayfield Village seniors on February 23, March 16, and April 6. We are already booked for February 23 and March 16 and we have a few appointments available on April 6. Residents should contact Donna to make an appointment.
Easter Party Updates (Saturday, March 21, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m., Community Room)
- Volunteers are needed. Contact Danielle if able to help during the party.
- Meg asked for help to decorate the room on Friday, March 20. She is available anytime after 1:30 p.m. Danielle will send out an email and help coordinate the time.
- Entertainment will be Rick Smith Junior for a half hour magic show and a balloon clown during the party. The clown is Rick Huebner and came recommended from Mayfield Heights.
- Meg said she worked with Danielle for supplies and decorations so they are all set.
- Meg mentioned that she remembered discussing after last year’s party that there was a lot going on for this particular party. Danielle reviewed the 2014 Minutes when the party was evaluated and she said that is correct, it was noted that it was hard to do things like watch the magic show because people were standing in line for a balloon or pictures with the bunny. Danielle said everything is pretty quick with the magic show starting shortly after the party starts, and after the magic show we announce the candy jar winners and it pretty much goes right into the egg hunt next. The committee members agreed that there was not a whole lot that could be done with the timeline but cut out the designated craft area. Instead everyone will be given a sticker scene craft and they can do it on their own.
Debbie Hudacko Scholarship Interviews (Wednesday, April 15, 7:00 p.m.)
- Bill said that we need three Recreation Board Members to conduct interviews. Kate said she would do it again.
- Danielle said she would email the members who were not at the meeting to see if they were interested.
- Bill reported that the Spring/Summer Parks and Recreation Brochure should be mailed out in early March.
- Bill said he is working on getting bathrooms at the Parkview Softball Fields. Tom said it has been brought up to Council and hopefully it goes in the budget for restrooms and bathrooms. Tom said residents should have access to bathrooms and Mary added it would be nice have it for Greenway Trail users also. Bill said it will be needed for the intergeneration park as well. Sean said there was some discussion about using the Zako house for public restrooms but the Recreation Department didn’t think it was very feasible because of the distance. Sean explained that in soccer, if you come out of the game, usually there is time to get over to a bathroom. But in softball, and inning can be done quick and often there is no time to leave the field for a restroom break. Sean added that one of the machines to work on the fields is stored at Zako’s and there are parts of the grass that are like a swamp to cross.
- Bill said the Village will be spending approximately $40,000 on Parkview Pool for a new turtle, new tumble buckets, a new rain drop and caulking.
- Sean said there will be a new sun screen on the Red Field. There will be poles extending near the backstop with a curtain like screen that can be pulled so the pitcher is not blinded by the sun.
- Meg said she would like to have a second scanner at Parkview Pool this year.
- Due to the Debbie Hudacko interviews the same night as the April Recreation Board Meeting, April’s meeting will now be scheduled for Wednesday, April 8. This will be our last meeting until September.
- Bill said Family Fun Night is Saturday, February 21, from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. at Wildcat Sport & Fitness.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, March 18, 7:00 p.m. at the Civic Center