Rec Board - October 15th 2014
Mayfield Village Parks and Recreation Board Meeting
Wednesday, October 15, 2014, 7:00 p.m.
Mayfield Village Civic Center
Attending: Pat Andrzejczyk, Mary Murphy, Meg Stifler, Kate Sullivan and Bill Thomas.
Introduction: Kate called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. She asked for approval of the Amended September 17 Minutes. Meg made a motion and Mary seconded. All in attendance approved.
Debbie Hudacko Discussion
- Kate previously asked to amend the September Minutes to say that it was an exceptional year in regards to the candidates that were interviewed.
- Mary said the race profit was $1,300 and the scholarships were $1,500 so we are in the red! Bill said that there is about $13,666 in the account so the committee members said they were comfortable with the payout.
Senior Program Updates
- We have received over 225 applications to “opt in” for snow removal. The “opt outs” are due no later than December 31.
- The leaf raking drawing was held October 3. The Gates Mills Horticulture Center students will rake a couple of yards and an adult volunteer will rake several yards.
- The next Lunch n’ Movie is November 12. The movie is “Lone Survivor”, and reservations are due by November 5. The menu is Baked Gnocci with Tomatoes and Mozzarella. The cost is $5 per person for lunch.
- Fifty people have registered for the free Lunch and Learn program on November 21 at the Civic Center. The topic is “How to Get a Good Night’s Sleep.” The lunch and program is sponsored by University Hospital Ahuja Medical Center. We cannot take any additional reservations.
- There will not be a foot clinic in November. Foot Clinics will be held December 5 and 12 from 1-3 p.m. The cost is $20. We are already booked and can’t take any additional appointments. We will now have two clinics a month since this is a popular program.
- The next trip will be held November 19. We will have a lunch and tour of the Canton Women’s Club, then tour the First Ladies Museum. This trip is sold out.
- We are currently taking reservations for the Holiday Party on December 12. It is for Village residents ages 60+. It will be held in the Community Room from 12-3 p.m.
Halloween Party (October 18, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m. in the Community Room)
- Meg will let committee members know what time to arrive on Friday for decorating. She thinks around 3:00 p.m. might be the best time.
- Meg reported that she has redone some games so new posters will need to be made. She also has instructions for each game so the Key Club volunteers will know what to do to run the games.
- Bill estimated that there would be around 20 Key Club volunteers.
- Meg said that she was all set with supplies.
Halloween Window Painting Contest
- Bill reported that 38 merchants donated their windows. However after the meeting, a few students decided not to participate so there was a total of 36 windows being painted on by 57 students.
- Bill met with the painters today and can paint Friday, October 17 through Wednesday, October 22.
- Bill said it has been great working with the art teachers from St. Paschal, St. Francis and Mayfield Middle School.
- It is hoped that the Sun News will put a news release in the paper announcing the winners.
- Bill reported that there are a lot of repairs/maintenance needed at Parkview Pool for the 2015 season. The Service Department and pool professionals are still trying to find the leaks. The water toys will also need to be replaced.
- Bill said that the bathrooms and pavilion at the soccer fields are working out great. They will be winterized the first week of November.
- Bill said that he hopes Council will approve building the bathrooms and storage at the softball fields for 2015.
- The annual Wildcat Teen Halloween event for 6th – 8th graders is Thursday, October 16 from 7:00 – 10:00 p.m. at Wildcat Sport & Fitness. A large crowd is anticipated.
- Mary said the Greenway Trail turned out terrific. The ribbon cutting ceremony is Saturday, October 25, 11:00 a.m. at the trail head right next to the fire station. Bill said he is looking to use the trail for some of the Debbie Hudacko Runs. Pat added that distance and signage should be added to the trail. Bill said Jeff Thomas is working on it.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, November 19, 7:00 p.m. at the Civic Center
Recorded by Mary Murphy, Transcribed by Danielle M. Echt