Council Caucus: February 6th 2017

Mayfield Village Civic Hall - Mayfield Village Civic Center
Monday, February 6, 2017 - 8:00 p.m.

The Council of Mayfield Village met in Caucus Session on Monday, February 6, 2017 at Mayfield Village Civic Hall in the Mayfield Village Civic Center.  Council President Saponaro called the meeting to order at 8:00 p.m.

ROLL CALL:          

Present: Mr. Jerome, Mr. Marquardt, Mr. Marrie, Dr. Parker, Mr. Saponaro, and Mr. Williams

Also Present: Mayor Bodnar, Mr. Wynne, Mr. Diemert, Chief Edelman, Chief Carcioppolo, Mr. Marrelli, Mr. Metzung, Mr. Thomas, Mr. McAvinew, Mr. Cappello, and Mrs. Betsa

Absent: Mrs. Mills and Ms. Wolgamuth


Mayor Bodnar stated, you all received in your packets over the weekend information on the grant that Diane Wolgamuth and I applied for to the Cuyahoga County Planning Commission.  That grant would provide all of the professional assistance we need to develop a new vision plan. Last week, we received official word that we did get the grant so we will be working with the County to develop long range and also some short range plans for Mayfield Village. At this point, we are waiting for the County to contact us to give us the next steps of the process.  We are very excited about that.  We will give you more details as we get them.


Council President Saponaro stated, the one thing I wanted to make clear is on the calendar that went out, there is some corrections that need to be made. The one I know for sure is on Tuesday, February 14th Ordinance Review is not at 5:00, it is at 7:30. The Committee can then decide if they want to change the time, but I would like to see it 5:00 or later so that the public can attend after work.  We will make sure it is corrected on the website.  Mary Beth, if you would go through and make sure all of the meeting times are correct on the agenda and then talk with Administration or whoever does the calendar.

Council President Saponaro stated, Congratulations on the grant.  That is excellent.  We discussed it and know it is in our budget in case we need to have any monies that go forth.


Upcoming Events:

  • OML Update and Update on Senate Bill 321 (New Public Records Law)
    March 10, 2017 (11:00) – Cuy. Cty. Library
  • NOPEC Informational Meeting
    March 29, 2017 (1:00) – Mayfield Village Community Room
  • Local Government Officials Conference
    April 12-13, 2017 – Columbus, Ohio
  • House Bill 9 Training

Mrs. Betsa stated the above events are open to Council, Mayor Bodnar and Department Heads, so if anyone is interested in attending any of these sessions, let me know.

I just received information this morning on another event, the Northern Ohio City Council Association’s Annual Meeting:  “Cuyahoga County and Beyond, What’s New for the New Year?” presented by Cuyahoga County Executive Armond Budish. If anyone is interested in attending that, let me know.

The informational meeting provided by the Northeast Ohio Public Energy Council at the Community Room is open to all, including residents. They will be sharing information about the new electric partner, NextEra and details about their Do Not Knock program.

I also just received information on a Grant Writing 101 and Grant Writing 102 free session which is scheduled for Thursday, May 25th from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Cuyahoga County Library in Parma.  Let me know if you are interested in attending because there is a limit on the number of attendees due to space.

With regard to the Local Government Officials’ Conference, registration is not available yet, but I have sent a message to our Northeast Ohio Liaison and will let everyone know as soon as it is up.

I have worked with the State Auditor to again host House Bill 9 training in Reserve Hall on Friday, May 26th. This session will again be presented by Mark Altier and is open to anyone interested in attending.  House Bill 9 training covers open meetings and public records.  Mark is a great speaker for those who have not heard him present.

Mr. Jerome asked, please register me for the NOCCA and the grant writing.

Mrs. Betsa replied, okay. Bill Marquardt is also attending the NOCCA meeting.  Anyone else who wishes to attend, let me know.


  • Renewal of employee AD&D & Life Insurance (MetLife)
  • Renewal of employee dental insurance (Delta Dental)

Mr. Wynne reported, our Accidental Death and Disability and Life Insurance policy for the employees as well as our dental insurance expires on April 1st.   We have received the renewals from MetLife and Delta Dental who have agreed to keep the rates the same for the next two years.

  • Budget 2017
  • Amended Official Certificate of Estimated Resources – 2017

Mr. Wynne reported, Council was provided with a draft copy of the budget line items around January 15th or so.  We had meetings with Department Heads last week to go over individual line items. There were some adjustments, not very substantive in nature, but I will provide Council with a copy of the items this weekend in their packet highlighting the items that we are changing from the version you already have.

Mr. Wynne stated, with regard to the process, the Amended Official Certificate of Estimated Resources is our revenue. The revenue budget was extremely conservative.  Our income tax collections were over $17 million last year.  We conservatively budgeted $14 million this year as we have done in the past.  We never want to bank on our corporate employers paying the usual bonuses they tend to do when they have some really good years.  We were conservative from that standpoint. On the expenditure side, wages and benefits for budgeting purposes, we just used a 3% factor with the exception of medical which we know went up by 14%.  The capital budget was budgeted in detail for the analysis and then operating expenses themselves were kept status quo compared to where they have been in the past.  I will provide Council with a copy of that again this weekend.

The budget needs to be approved by the end of March.  I would like it to be finalized the early part of March because I am going out for surgery on March 8th so I would like to walk out of Caucus on March 6th knowing it is done and then the passage is just a formality at the March Council meeting.

Mr. Wynne stated, the last item is not on the agenda, but we had our independent auditors in last week doing their field work.  They left and will now do the balance of the audit from their office.  A copy of the audit report was filed with the State over the weekend. Hopefully that will be wrapped up within the next couple weeks.

Council President Saponaro asked, does anyone have any questions?

There were none.


  • Service contract for maintenance and inspection of patient cots, loading systems and stair chairs for 2017 (Stryker Medical - $5,500)

Chief Carcioppolo reported, this covers maintenance for our power load systems, our power cots and our stair chairs on both of our ambulances.

  • Service contract for cardiac monitors, AED’s and automated CPR machines for 2017 (Physio Control - $7,220)

Chief Carcioppolo reported, this covers all of our cardiac monitors, automated external defibrillators and our automated CPR machines.  If there are any questions about either of the above items, let me know.

Council President Saponaro stated, just to explain for the record that the power cots, power loading systems and power stair chairs are for the personnel to be able to lift and transport for the safety of the personnel as well as the patients, correct?

Chief Carcioppolo stated, it would not matter if they are power or non-powered units.  If they are manual units, we still have to have them serviced annually to make sure they are functioning in accordance with manufacturer’s specifications.  They go through annual maintenance to make sure they are safe.  Same thing with the Physio-Control contract for the cardiac monitors, the automated external defibrillators.  Those all have to be calibrated to make sure they are discharging the appropriate amount of electricity and they are operating okay.  That’s what those service contracts are for.

  • New vehicle for Fire Department (Lebanon Ford - State bid - $37,270)

Chief Carcioppolo reported, this is to help facilitate our daily duties, predominantly with the Fire Prevention position that brings us down a vehicle.  It takes away from the fleet of vehicles we have.  When Fire Prevention is out in the field, we don’t have another vehicle.  If people are at different training opportunities, being a part of the Regional Technical Rescue Team where guys go to training for that.  Also, when a vehicle is out for service, we can’t be down a vehicle because we utilize our vehicles for response.  That’s how we are able to be so fluid and handle so many calls with a relatively-short staff because we jump vehicles and we move around a lot. There’s times that you will see one of our chase vehicles at the scene of a call because they drive it to a call, they get in the ambulance with someone else and they transport someone to the hospital.  It’s just part of our operational need, I guess.

Council President Saponaro asked, questions on this? There were none.


Mr. Diemert reported, as Council knows, we have been talking for some time about purchasing a couple of properties near the Palermo basin off of Beta Drive.  In the past few years, as Council knows, there has been two significant lawsuits against the Village involving serious flooding in the Skoda building and the racquet building next door to it.  The causes of this have had engineering disputes going on.  We have talked about obtaining these properties in order to try and expand the basin and alleviate the problem.  Our engineer has recommended over a long range plan that this would probably be an ideal thing to do.  We started talking to Nasseri for his property maybe 7 years ago foreseeing the possible need.  Just recently, the negotiations have completed and each of the property owners has agreed to accept $225,000.  We negotiated with the other party first and they agreed to take that amount.  The amount the appraisals would show is closer to $300,000.

Council President Saponaro asked, for each, or collectively?

Mr. Diemert replied, for each, yes.  As a result, because we were going to go with one property and not even use the other, the other property owner came in and we thought for best engineering practices he would like to have both so for that cost, we thought it would be worthwhile to do.  That will be for First Reading at your next regular meeting.  We will have the legislation to you and a Purchase Agreement.  The negotiations were lengthy but the folks are citizens and we tried to make it as simple as could be for them.  The details of it will be handled as we get title reports and so on back to all of Council.  Basically it’s an outlined agreement of the amount, the cost and the terms.

Council President Saponaro stated, all right.  So just to be clear, the two properties are $225,000 each though they were both valued at over $300,000, is that what you said?

Mr. Diemert replied, appraisals differ between the parties.  That was part of the negotiation between the parties.  We had our own confidential appraisals done.  We think this is a fair price.

Council President Saponaro asked, and they have accepted the price?

Mr. Diemert replied, I am happy to share that with you, but I don’t necessarily want to make that public.

Council President Saponaro stated, sure.  I understand.  We will get more information as we go forward on this.

Mr. Diemert stated, yes. And this is something that could be subject to Executive Session at any time but the numbers probably can’t be negotiated further with these folks.  We do want to sign them up as soon as possible.

Mr. Jerome asked, may I ask two engineering questions?  I know we have been talking about this for a while and I understand the engineering behind it, but I do have residents who ask, they say, okay, what we have there now, there’s never any water and what the engineering shows of what could happen, I guess based on the 100-year flood, this isn’t even enough, correct?  What we have now.

Mr. Cappello replied, originally there were two basins.

Council President Saponaro asked, I’m sorry, what is isn’t enough?

Mr. Jerome replied, the size of the basin we have.  We have expanded it.

Council President Saponaro asked, are you saying that the properties that we are purchasing would not be enough?

Mr. Jerome replied, no the properties we are purchasing to make this basin even larger.

Council President Saponaro asked, what we currently have larger?

Mr. Jerome replied, right.

Council President Saponaro stated, yes.

Mr. Jerome stated, because we had our own basin.  We changed some things and we took the one house down and made it larger. So now we are bigger than what we were.  But now we are still saying, we have been saying for a year that engineering shows that this basin needs to be even larger than what it is?

Mr. Cappello replied, originally, as part of the Upper 40 litigation way back when, we got grant money to do some restoration over in the Metroparks as well as we had to help alleviate the stormwater from the Beta Development which was causing problems downstream.  At that time, two basins were constructed. We took one of the old Wiley ballfields, put the Wiley basin in and then built a restrictor plate on that culvert that goes by the Service drive and then there is a second in-line basin we call the Palermo basin which has a similar structure and a culvert that goes under SOM Center Road.  Both of those acted in series to provide a certain amount of storage which helped downstream. There were some issues with flooding.  We had some bad storms.  In the process, it was determined they needed to remove the weir plate from Wiley which effectively made that storage capacity disappear.

Council President Saponaro asked, the weir plate is the restrictor plate?

Mr. Cappello replied, yes.  Now you pretty much get some storage in Wiley, but nowhere near what we had before.  To keep in the spirit of what we did originally when we got the grant money to prevent problems in the Metropark, we needed to do something.  So the thought was to increase Palermo.  Part of it is Phase 1, we own the Palermo house and we ended up demolishing that and extending the basin which gives it some additional capacity in the interim, but to meet the capacity we had before on both basins, we need to expand Palermo larger.  We could have used the property on the corner of Highland and SOM.  It’s approximately an acre but there are wetlands on there and we have to get a nationwide permit.  We would need at least one of the houses, but no matter how we did it, to utilize our corner property, if we left one house, we would have to have a pipe that would go across their property to equalize the use of the basin.  This works out for the best.  To get both of them, I think it is going to be cleaner, neater and will all run better.

Mr. Jerome asked, so the initial problems obviously were the Upper 40 issue which we have tackled.  But then we had issues with the Wiley basin, litigation and all that with that, so that’s why we did what we did temporarily, but we need to move forward with getting this.

Mr. Cappello replied, since we took Wiley off, yes, we need to provide the storage we had originally plus maintain the discharge which was originally set up.

Mr. Jerome asked, so where we are at now, we are beyond what we could do because it’s not large enough to correct it?

Mr. Cappello replied, yes.  We need to expand, yes.

Mr. Jerome stated, the thought was when we talked about this last year, it was now we are going to have no houses there and all this basin there.  I am not a fan of what it looks like now.  Because we are going to have some more room with our corner, we can do some more aesthetics.

Mr. Cappello replied, yes.  Originally when I went through the study, you are trying to get as much room as you can for your storage.  If we have all three properties, yes, we will have the ability to make this maybe a little bit more aesthetic.  We can discuss how we want to handle that.

Mr. Jerome stated, that makes sense to me.  I get questions.

Mr. Cappello stated, to argue it is never full, when you have a really big storm, it has been full.  It actually overtops the weir which is about 4 feet high at SOM.  It hasn’t gotten full, but again, it’s designed to handle the 100-year storm event.

Mr. Jerome stated, what would happen is it would go over and people get flooded.  It is preventative.

Council President Saponaro stated, what I would ask is, whatever packet we received previously, if we could get that redistributed if anything’s been changed.  At the next meeting, whatever makes sense, so folks can see it as well, because if we are getting big plans, that won’t really work.

Mr. Cappello asked, as far as explaining the process?

Council President Saponaro stated, yes.  Exactly.  That way we can look at it again and if anyone has any questions on it, it can continue from the conversations you started and we can look at that as well.

Mr. Jerome asked, there’s also another project in coordination with the relief pipe?

Mr. Cappello replied, the other part of this project is a relief sewer for Beta.

Council President Saponaro stated, just to make it clear.  When we are talking about the properties we are buying, we are buying the Palermo properties to expand that basin. This is all part of what project?

Mr. Cappello replied, the Beta storm relief sewer.

Council President Saponaro stated, okay, so this is a bigger project.  This is a piece of it of buying the properties and now you are going to talk about the other part.

Mr. Cappello replied, the other part was when we did the study, they found that the Beta storm sewer was pretty bad.  In order to help with this, we are constructing a relief sewer that will go next to the Euclid Industries property and Premier property where QED and Mars Electric is at and go along the bike trail towards the back where we own some properties through a couple easements from one of the residents and Progressive again.  It will go north to that point where we can then turn east and go right through those couple properties through the Service Department and tie into the creek.  That will then basically reduce and take a good portion of the water that drains down Beta that goes through that pipe that goes into Wiley which is right next to the Racquet Club.  We are taking out that potential flooding there also.  It was determined that sewer was undersized.

Mr. Jerome stated, I think you said there were some options, but this kind of made the most sense to just take that section off and do the relief sewer for the rest.

Mr. Diemert stated, just to remind everyone.  There is a serious litigation for many hundreds of thousands of dollars against us from the insurance carriers who paid the money to repair these buildings.  It’s coming to a head, so I really don’t want to debate a lot of the pros and cons of everything in open meeting.  It might be better in Executive Session for the reasons that we are using some engineering defenses to why we don’t owe the money for the last flood and why the Village should not be held liable for the last flood damages that occurred.  We do have legal defenses, but moving forward on this might help to leverage a settlement in that case because it’s something we would have to do in long range time anyway with or without the litigation so we thought if we did it now, prevent future flooding in that area and even upstream would help quite a bit all the way to 271, I understand.  So this is the game plan and as far as Tom’s things, I think we were in Executive Session the last time we put all that up on the screen and did the powerpoint, so that might be the better way to do it.

Council President Saponaro asked, because of the litigation?

Mr. Diemert replied, yes.

Council President Saponaro stated, oaky.

Mr. Jerome stated, that makes sense obviously.

Council President Saponaro stated, as soon as the litigation has been concluded, we could then bring it out for the public so they can see what is going on there.

Mr. Diemert replied, sure. And all of the details of everything can be seen by Council and Department Heads in Executive Session.

Council President Saponaro stated, okay.  Thank you.  Anything else on that?

There were no further comments.


  • Pedestals for diving well (install and freight) (OP Aquatics – $11,000)

Mr. Thomas reported, Parkview Pool has two diving boards.  They are supported by pedestals.  They have been down at Parkview for over 18 years.  They are deteriorating.  We need to purchase two more pedestals.  That’s part of the $11,000 that we have allocated for the purchase order.

  • Summer Camp employee compensation

Mr. Thomas reported, this is our director that we are looking at adjusting as well as moving the minimum wage from $8.10 to $8.15.

  • Parkview Recreation Complex employee compensation

Mr. Thomas reported, this is for the pool and workers down at The Grove and other individuals.  We are making adjustments on some of the high end, but Shane just brought to my attention that we are paying our lifeguard more than our head lifeguard and we can’t do that.  I need to make an adjustment on the head lifeguard’s starting rate of $8.40 an hour from $8.20 and leaving the lifeguard at $8.35.  Other than that, it is all minimum wage adjustments from $8.10 to $8.15.

Council President Saponaro asked, when are we looking to have this approved?

Mr. Thomas replied, by February would be great.  We send out agreements in March to our lifeguards and anyone that works at the pool and camp.

Mr. Jerome asked, so you said you are going to bring the head lifeguard position to?

Mr. Thomas replied, $8.40.  That individual should be paid more.

Mr. Jerome asked, but internally, obviously, they are going to get paid more than the other lifeguards?

Mr. Thomas replied, sure.

Council President Saponaro stated, for the range.

Mr. Jerome asked, how are we with lifeguards?  Are we going to have some?  Are you signing up?

Mr. Thomas replied, no.  I am only working at Wildcat.  I plan to be traveling in the summertime.

Mr. Marrie stated, I don’t blame you.

Council President Saponaro asked, anything else?

There were no further comments.


  • Renewal of SPAN dues – 2017 ($18,000)

Chief Edelman reported, the SPAN dues have been increased this year from what used to be $14,000-18,000.  SPAN is supported from dues from the individual cities that comprise SPAN.  The extra $4,000 this year is in support of the Drug Enforcement Unit and if I could, and if you would bear with me, I would like to give a little background on the Drug Enforcement Unit.

Council President Saponaro asked, tell everyone what SPAN is just so they know.

Chief Edelman replied, for those of you who don’t know, SPAN is an acronym for the Suburban Police Anti-Crime Network. Back in 1973, the city founders of Mayfield Village, Mayfield Heights, Lyndhurst, Richmond Heights, Highland Heights and then Gates Mills, decided that it would be more advantageous to join forces and combine budgets and resources to fight crime basically and do things that they couldn’t do alone.  It would be better to combine their limited resources and do the things that they couldn’t do that big cities could do and little towns couldn’t do.  With that forward thinking, they combined and created SPAN which was one of the first regionalizations at the time in the Northern Ohio area. It has been going strong ever since then.

Since 2013, Gates Mills left SPAN and went with a different regionalization.

It’s kind of interesting the way the Drug Enforcement Unit was formed. There were patrolmen from various cities in SPAN who on their own without any kind of organization had been making drug arrests just in the course of their normal duties.  They had been developing contacts and finding out that the drug problem in this area has been growing and growing and growing.  They talked amongst each other and found out that things were happening that were outside their normal expertise and beyond their reach as patrolmen in say, Mayfield Village or Lyndhurst or Mayfield Heights.  So they got together and they approached the SPAN Chiefs and they said, you know, this is getting to be a growing problem and is something we can’t do on their own. They asked the SPAN Chiefs to create the Drug Enforcement unit back in 2013.  We thought it was a good idea.  What we did was we staffed it with full-time police officers working on a part-time basis in the Drug Enforcement Unit.  They are specially trained as drug investigators.  They have been working like crazy.  Their caseload since 2013 has just taken off expedentially. I have given Council a list of statistics but between the years of 2012 and 2016, the amount of non-fatal and fatal overdoses has just taken off like crazy in the Hillcrest area.  That’s just the overdose rate. That does not mean their entire caseload; that’s just the overdose rate.  Because of that, the SPAN Chiefs are asking for an increase to support the Drug Enforcement Unit.

Council President Saponaro stated, just to interject, so, in 2012, the non-fatal overdoses were 34 and 2016 it was 100.

Chief Edelman replied, in the Hillcrest area.

Council President Saponaro stated, in the Hillcrest area, in the areas that we named except for Gates Mills and then in fatal overdoses, it went from 3 in 2012 to 17 in 2016.

Chief Edelman continued, what we are trying to do this year in support of the Drug Enforcement Unit is to have a full-time member in the Unit.  That would be a full-time police officer from one of the cities who is assigned on a full-time basis in the Unit.  His job would be not only enforcement, but community outreach. He would be doing education. He would be doing other duties, not just working cases.  He wouldn’t be in command of the unit.  That would still be the assigned unit commander who is a Sergeant from Lyndhurst.

This is something that is needed because they are just overwhelmed with the cases they are handling. These cases are not just starting in these 5 cities.  They are not just ending in these 5 cities. There are drug dealers coming in from Euclid, from South Euclid, from other communities and there are cases that are leaching out into our communities that are starting here.  It’s not just a problem that starts here and ends here.  It’s a problem that is just mushrooming and taking off all throughout this area.  We are asking for the 5 cities to approve the $4,0000 a year increase in the SPAN dues in support of the Drug Enforcement Unit.

Council President Saponaro stated, just to add a couple things you had explained.  The SPAN Chiefs oversee SPAN?

Chief Edelman replied, yes.

Council President Saponaro asked, and then you have a supervising officer who is out of Lyndhurst?

Chief Edelman replied, yes.

Council President Saponaro asked, the individual who would be full-time would be an officer out of Mayfield Heights?

Chief Edelman replied, Mayfield Heights has offered to donate the officer full-time into the unit.

Council President Saponaro asked, the goal would be that SPAN would generate enough money to have another full-time officer?

Chief Edelman replied, this full-time officer would be paid for by SPAN.  The Unit has also applied for a grant through the State of Ohio which would pay for a second full-time officer.

Council President Saponaro stated, thank you. I appreciate you clarifying that.

Dr. Parker stated, I am trying to figure out the economics.  You are increasing the dues by $4,000 per community, correct?

Chief Edelman replied, correct. For a total of $20,000.

Dr. Parker asked, how does that cover a full-time officer’s wages?

Chief Edelman replied, the remainder would be paid for by the Drug Unit itself, procedurally.

Council President Saponaro stated, so it’s a Unit that has a budget that has money that comes into it, has a budget and so forth?

Chief Edelman replied, that’s correct.

Council President Saponaro stated, I think you provide us with the financials on that, correct?

Chief Edelman replied, I do.

Council President Saponaro stated, if you have the most recent if you could just provide it again just to remind Council of what that looks like, it would be extremely helpful.

Chief Edelman replied, sure.

Council President Saponaro asked, who else has questions on this?

Mr. Jerome stated, this has been something that has been talked about for a while.  What else can we do?  We are putting money into it which is good.  Are there other things we can do?

Council President Saponaro asked, are you talking about the war on drugs?

Mr. Jerome stated, it’s not the war on drugs anymore.

Chief Edelman stated, there’s prevention efforts, there’s education efforts. If you remember a couple months ago, a forum was hosted by Lyndhurst that Cleveland Clinic sponsored.  The County Coroner was there.  The medical examiner was there.  A member of the Drug Unit was there.  A number of other people were there speaking. Things along those lines.  Judge Bozza does something for prevention education.  There are different community efforts going on continuously to speak about the heroin epidemic.

While I am on that topic, back in 2013, when the Drug Unit started, heroin was really exploding.  That’s what kind of drove this effort.  Now what we are seeing is heroin is kind of leveled off and even on a decline and what we are seeing is fentanyl and carfentanil has taken over where heroin used to be huge.  The reason for that is heroin is a plant.  It depends on climate and growth in order for it to become a drug whereas fentanyl and carfentanil are being manufactured.  You can make it in your basement.  That’s why people are making these designer drugs in favor of something that depends on climate.  That’s where you see the shift in the type of drugs.  It’s more economical to make something in your basement than have to depend on a crop.

Council President Saponaro stated, what I am hearing is we can have these types of forums here as well and then continue these conversations in each of the different cities so this can be something that we can be doing as well.

Chief Edelman stated, we can do that.  We run the risk of if each community holds its own forum, you saturate the listening audience as well as the instructors too.  The speakers get burned out too.  What you want to do is hit the largest audience you can with the most relevant information.  I think my suggestion would be to have a wider audience rather than just a Mayfield Village forum, something like what Lyndhurst did with the auspices of Cleveland Clinic supporting it.

Council President Saponaro asked, anyone else?

There were no further comments.


  • Authorization to go out to bid for solid waste and recycling.

Mr. Metzung stated, I need your authorization to go out to bid for a new solid waste and recycling contract.

Council President Saponaro asked, and that’s something you will want at the next Council meeting?

Mr. Metzung replied, yes.

Council President Saponaro stated, okay.  Very good.  Anyone have any questions on that?

There were none.


Council President Saponaro asked, are there any other matters to come before Council?

Mr. Jerome stated, there is an Activities Committee meeting tomorrow.  I am unable to attend and I asked the Alternate, Mr. Williams.  He is unable to attend.  Patsy usually goes, but I don’t know if she is going to go. Can anyone else possibly go to the Activities Committee meeting tomorrow?  It might be Bill Thomas’ last Activities Committee meeting too.  I am bummed I am going to miss it, but I think he can handle it without Council there.

Mr. Thomas stated, we will report back.

Mr. Jerome stated, okay. Thank you.

Council President Saponaro stated, the only other thing that I have and I talked about this in Finance, we receive from Lyndhurst Court their Annual Reconciliation which tells us the cost and expenditures and things of that nature.  The Court is working at a surplus which is terrific.  They were working at a surplus in 2015.  What I found very interesting was the traffic and criminal cases.  There were 11,720 traffic and criminal cases that have gone through this Court and of those cases, 2,139 are from Mayfield Village.   There are a lot of cases that go through.  Mayfield Heights had 1,964, Richmond Heights had 1,760 and Gates Mills had 826.   Chief, if you can comment on that.  I can say it, but you have already said it, which makes sense, as to why would we have the most or why wouldn’t the other communities.

Chief Edelman stated, the comment I made at the Finance Committee meeting was the reason Richmond Heights has so much less than we do is because budgetarily their manpower is so much less than ours.  They just do nothing but run from one call to another whereas we have the ability to actually do a lot more community outreach and we can work more than they do whereas they have one or two officers on the road at the time and all they are doing is responding to calls.  They don’t have the opportunity to do actual law enforcement.

Council President Saponaro stated, very good.  And in terms of a lot of the cases, if there is criminal matters or if there is drug or alcohol-related cases, then the Court has to make the right choice programs, there is some diversion that we can do.  There are some opportunities there to try to rehabilitate people but we have to get them in front of, for example in a case like this, it would be through Judge Bozza at this point but the officers have to stop them and kind of get this going.

Chief Edelman replied, true.

Council President Saponaro stated, okay, so I just wanted to bring that up to everyone’s attention as well.  Is there anything else that anyone else wants to bring up?

There were no further matters.

There being no further matters, the meeting concluded at 8:50 p.m.