Caucus: September 11th 2017

MINUTES OF A COUNCIL CAUCUS
Mayfield Village Civic Hall - Mayfield Village Civic Center
Monday, September 11, 2017 - 8:00 p.m.

The Council of Mayfield Village met in Caucus Session on Monday, September 11, 2017, at Mayfield Village Civic Hall in the Mayfield Village Civic Center.  Council President Saponaro called the meeting to order at 8:00 p.m.

ROLL CALL:          

Present: Mr. Jerome, Mr. Marquardt, Mr. Marrie, Mrs. Mills, Dr. Parker, Mr. Saponaro, and Mr. Williams

Also Present: Mayor Bodnar, Mr. Diemert, Mr. Wynne, Chief Edelman, Chief Carcioppolo, Mr. Marrelli, Mr. Metzung, Mr. Cappello, Mr. McAvinew, Ms. Wolgamuth, and Mrs. Betsa

Absent: None

MAYOR:

  • Appointment of Margaret DeMarco as member of the Commission on Aging

It’s my honor to swear in Margaret DeMarco tonight as the newest member of our Commission on Aging.

Mayor Bodnar administered the oath of office to Margaret DeMarco as member of the Commission on Aging.

Mayor Bodnar stated, a quick note.  We are working with the County Planning Commission on the new Master Plan. We sent letters out to members of the community to be on the steering committee.  So far we have gotten a pretty positive result back on those.  The surveys are still out.  We have had a very good response but if anyone in this room has not completed their survey and returned it yet, please go ahead and do so at your soonest convenience.  We have our first meeting with the County Planning Commission scheduled for September 18th.

COUNCIL PRESIDENT:

Council President Saponaro asked everyone to stand to say the Pledge of Allegiance.  I would like everyone to remain standing for a moment of silence to commemorate the victims of 911 and to remember any victims and people suffering from the hurricanes.

The Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag was given followed by observing a Moment of Silence.

Council President Saponaro stated, October 13th is the deadline for the Voice of the Village.  Anyone at the table, if you are planning on doing an article, you need to submit one by that time.  Also, we received in our packets a flier on health screening that will take place on October 30th from LifeLine Screening.  It’s cardiovascular health.  Finally, Mars Electric has their Grand Opening coming up this week on Thursday, September 14th from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.  We are happy they are in the Village.

COUNCIL CLERK:

  • Digitizing permanent records with searchable capacity

Mrs. Betsa reported, this would entail scanning documents way back from the early 1900’s.  This is in the initial stages. It would provide easier access to find and locate anything that shows up on a certain subject in Minutes or legislation on the history.  This would be available to all departments trying to locate the history of a certain subject.  I will be scheduling a representative to come to the Records Commission meeting in October to make a presentation of what this easier access for locating records will entail.  I will come back with a report.

Upcoming Events:

  • Robert’s Rules Presentation – Running an Effective Meeting
    • Thursday, September 21st – Mayfield Village Reserve Hall
      Presenter:  Mark W. Altier, Esq., Deputy Chief Legal Counsel
      Auditor of State of Ohio
  • Northern Ohio City Council Assn Mtg. – 9/21/17

Mrs. Betsa reported, I have 90 people signed up for this presentation from all over the State of Ohio.  I spoke with Mr. Altier today and provided him with questions that people have asked he touch upon.  They will focus on that as well as on their presentation.  The presentation takes place from 12:00-4:00.  I have reserved Civic Hall from 11:00-12:00 for anyone who would like to bring their lunch or run over to Heinen’s to bring something back to eat prior to the presentation.  There is still room available. If anyone would like to attend, please let me know.

  • Northern Ohio City Council Assn Mtg. – 9/21/17

Mrs. Betsa reported, I just received notification from the Northeast Ohio City Council Association of their next meeting scheduled for Thursday, September 21st starting at 5:30.  The topic is Junpstart Your City.  George, I have made a reservation for you. If anyone else would like to attend, please let me know.

Mr. Jerome asked, can you send that to us?

Mrs. Betsa stated, sure.  I just received it.  I copied it for packets and will send tomorrow morning electronically.

Mr. Jerome stated, if you could, I would appreciate it.  Thank you.

Council President Saponaro asked, anything else?

There was no further report.

ADMINISTRATION:

  • Volunteer Appreciation Event (not to exceed $8,000)

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, this year’s Volunteer Appreciation Event will be held on October 27th across the street at the Community Room.  This is our annual dinner for all of the Committee members and volunteers who provide service to the Village throughout the year.  I don’t have a lot of detail yet except K Station Katering will be preparing the food and the theme this year is Harvest Dinner.

FINANCE DEPARTMENT:

  • Everstream Agreement

Mr. Wynne stated, this will be on the agenda for approval.  Right now the law department has it to give it a final read before we put it before Council. Everstream is the new OneCommunity.  Historically we have used OneCommunity for our internet and ethernet service as well as the maintenance on our fiber ring.  We have paid $22,000 a year.  Under the new arrangement, we will be getting twice as much bandwith for our internet and ethernet service and the cost will be decreasing from $22,000-19,000.  Council has already approved the $12,000 for service, so once this agreement is finalized, we will get the invoice for $7,000 for maintenance on the fiber ring and that will need approval also.

  • Tax Rate Resolution for tax year 2017

Mr. Wynne reported, this is for 2017’s property taxes which we collect in 2018.  When we prepared and submitted to the County in July the Alternate Tax Budget, we informed them then as to how we were going to be taking our portion of the property tax dollars and divvying them up between our General Fund, Debt Service Fund, Police Pension and Police Operating Funds.  That has been approved by the County now so this just formalizes how those tax dollars will be split as they collect the monies.

  • Tax Incentive Review Committee Meeting - Approval of TIFs

Mr. Wynne reported, we went down in August and met with the County.  All of our TIF agreements were approved by the Tax Incentive Review Committee.  Council will also go through the same approval process of just a motion to approve them for continuation for another year based upon them being in compliance with their development agreements.

  • Monthly Financial Report – August 2017

Mr. Wynne stated, I will have this on the agenda for Council to discuss.

FIRE DEPARTMENT:

  • Purchase of new tables and chairs for training room (Independence Office - $7,031)

Council President Saponaro asked, these are replacing existing ones, correct?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, yes, they are.  They are replacing stationary tables and chairs that are about 21 years old now and they don’t roll, they don’t move easily, so it’s hard for us to rearrange the training room for different trainings such as CPR training or if we do Megacode training we are simulating, working like that. We can do it.  It’s just more difficult.  Some of the desks are older.  They are screwed together. Some of them are a little loose.  We will try to sell what is salvageable on Govdeals.com and then utilize these new tables and chairs in a more user-friendly manner.

Council President Saponaro stated, okay.  Thank you.  Any questions?

There were none.

LAW DEPARTMENT:

Legislation:

  • Municipal Architect, along with its exhibit in Word and PD
  • Amend. Sect. 1309.04 – Lump Sum Permit Fees
  • Amend. Sect. 1333.01 – Adoption of the National Electric Code 2017 Edition
  • Amend. Sect. 1385.02 – Permit Application and Issuance
  • Amend. Sect. 1387.01 – Inspections

Mr. Diemert stated these have come from Ordinance Review with approval.  The architect chapter relating to the architect is made to be more consistent with ongoing practice in the administration. The Building Commissioner recommends more of an on-call thing and not mandatory review unless necessary.  Same thing with landscape architect.  The Charter Review Commission added a section that gives the landscape architect some direction to enhance the landscape on and around public properties and locations in the Village which is pretty much the only new thing on that.

The other Code sections, the 2017-35 is just changing the name of the National Property Maintenance Code to the International which is the appropriate name now.  2017-36 relates to permit applications. To be consistent, this permit for garage sales was going to the Service Director.  We are now running it through the Building Department and getting the Building Commissioner to approve those permits.  2017-37 is correcting the National Electric Code edition that we are actually using in the Building Department to 2017 from 2011.  2017-38 is an ordinance setting lump sum permit fees. This had a lot of discussion in Ordinance Review and a lot of discussion with the Building Commissioner.  Our prior charges were not sufficient to cover even the administration’s costs in doing that.  They put it up to double and made it a lump sum type of payment for the things that are going to be covered and amended all the others as well.

  • Resolution in Support of the renewal of the Cleveland-Cuyahoga County Port Authority Operating Levy

Resolution 2017-09 is endorsing the Cuyahoga County Port Authority Operating Levy for all of the good things that they do in the community and encouraging voter support for that.

Council President Saponaro asked, does anyone have any questions or comments regarding these?

There were none.

PARKS & RECREATION:

  • Equipment rental and sound technicians for The Grove 2017 season ($9,950 previously approved 5-15-17 - $1,150 additional expenses – Showtime Sound Company)

Mr. McAvinew reported, there were additional expenses. One was due to weather conditions this summer.  The rain had cancelled one. The sound company had already set up.  There were two charges for unforeseen rehearsal costs that were not seen when we first looked at the contract.  We also received a credit for that last event.  This brings the additional $1,150 from $9,950 to $11,100.  That would cover all of the expenses. The Grove season is over for 2017.

Mr. Jerome asked, in the contracts, were we required to give them these extra dress rehearsals?

Mr. McAvinew there was discretion as to what time they were supposed to be there.  Generally a sound company will come in two to three hours before showtime. Karamu House for example wanted them in six hours before showtime.  It was in the contract but it didn’t say to the sound company they needed dress rehearsal six hours before showtime.  It could have been argued one way or another for that additional cost to put it back on to Karamu.

Mr. Jerome stated, obviously Sam has to cover his costs.  I guess I understand it  Maybe it needs a little bit more review next year to make sure everything’s up front with who is doing what and when they are supposed to be there.

Mr. McAvinew stated, I know.

Mr. Jerome stated, thank you.  I appreciate it.

Council President Saponaro asked, any other questions or comments?

There were none.

SERVICE DEPARTMENT:

  • 317G Compact Track Loader (State purchasing – Murphy Tractor & Equipment - $46,807)

Mr. Metzung reported, this is a small loader.  We have been renting them in the past for the last few years twice a year spending anywhere between $5,000-10,000 a year.  At $46,000 you can see that purchasing it will pay for itself pretty quickly.  We use it for tree planting, for grub clearing, things of that nature.  When we have one available every day, we will use it quite a bit.  We look forward to that.

  • Spray patching of Wilson Mills Road east of SOM Center (Premier Patching, Inc. - $16,500)

Mr. Metzung stated, anyone familiar with that stretch of road knows that it has quite a few patches on it.  What we are looking to do is grind a little of that off, use a spray patch technique.  It’s a lot like a chip and seal in those areas to band aid them basically together for the couple years until we can afford to go out and repave the roadway.

If anyone has any questions on any of these or any other items for that matter, I won’t be at the next Council meeting, so please call my office so we can clarify anything.

Mr. Marquardt asked, how long will the spray patching take?

Mr. Metzung replied, two days.

Council President Saponaro asked, any other questions?

Mr. Jerome asked, the track loader, was that budgeted?

Mr. Metzung replied, yes.

Mr. Wynne replied, $80,000, so it’s considerably under budget.

Mr. Jerome stated, thank you.

Council President Saponaro asked, any other questions?

There were none.

ANY OTHER MATTER BEFORE COUNCIL:

Council President Saponaro asked, any other matters?

Mrs. Mills stated, yes, I would like to thank Mr. Metzung and his Service Department for our flag retirement box which is at the southwest corner of this building.  Anyone that has their used flags please deposit them there. On June 14th we will be disposing of them with Troop 289. 

This will be our third year of doing this flag ceremony.  It’s a very very nice ceremony. Some time back Chief Carcioppolo talked bout a nice memorial park in that area which I would like to kind of pursue that too because he does have an artifact from 911.  Also, our Ice Cream Social is this Wednesday from 6:30-8:00 at Wiley Park.

Council President Saponaro asked, anything else?

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, I would just add to that a reminder that we did file a grant application for that trailhead memorial so we should get word in October but I think at Council’s direction, we were going to put that into the Capital Budget for next year whether or not we get the grant.

Mrs. Mills stated that’s wonderful.  Thank you very much.

Council President Saponaro asked, any other matters before council?

There were none.

There being no further matters, the meeting concluded at 8:22 p.m.