Caucus: March 6th 2017

MINUTES OF A COUNCIL CAUCUS
Mayfield Village Reserve Hall - Mayfield Village Civic Center
Monday, March 6, 2017 - 8:00 p.m.

The Council of Mayfield Village met in Caucus Session on Monday, March 6, 2017 at Mayfield Village Reserve Hall in the Mayfield Village Civic Center.  Council President Pro Tem Williams called the meeting to order at 8:00 p.m.

ROLL CALL:          

Present: Mr. Jerome, Mr. Marquardt, Mr. Marrie, Mrs. Mills, Dr. Parker, and Mr. Williams

Also Present: Mayor Bodnar, Mr. Wynne, Mr. Diemert, Chief Edelman, Chief Carcioppolo, Mr. Metzung, Mr. McAvinew, Mr. Cappello, Ms. Wolgamuth, and Mrs. Betsa

Absent: Mr. Saponaro and Mr. Marrelli

MAYOR:

Mayor Bodnar stated, we have received unofficial word that we received the Community Development Supplemental Grant from Cuyahoga County for $50,000 which will help us build Phase 1 on the Band shell at The Grove this summer.

CLERK OF COUNCIL:

Training Sessions:

  • NEOMCA March Meeting
    • OML Update by Josh Brown, Esq.
    • SB 321 training on new public records law presented by Josh Brown, Esq. and Luther Liggett, Jr. Esq.
  • Heroin, Fentanyl, Carfentanyl:  The Triple Threat on our Doorstep…The Opioid Discussion Continues
    • Open discussion with community partners and local experts
      3/15 – 5:30-8:00 – Lyndhurst Community Center
  • 18th Annual Local Government Officials’ Conference
    4-11-17-4-13-17 – Columbus, Ohio
  • September Training Session on Robert’s Rules and More (Mayfield Village Reserve Hall – Presenter:  Mark Altier, Esq. from office of Auditor of State of Ohio)

Mrs. Betsa stated, if anyone would like to be registered for any of the above events, let me know and I will sign you up and provide you with more information.

ADMINISTRATION:

  • Automatic Door Operators for Community Room (Cleveland Vicon – not to exceed $9,544)

Ms. Wolgamuth reported, as we discussed at Safety and Service and also Finance, the Community Room is not equipped with automatic door openers.  We have had requests to have them installed. I think we were all in agreement that in order to make the building more accessible for our seniors and people in wheelchairs, we would add them to both of the entryways, so the entryway off the parking lot and the main entry off of Wilson Mills.  The cost to do that would be $9,544 which would include a battery charger which is around $200.

  • Renewal of Community Partnership on Aging Senior Services – 2017 (Community Partnership on Aging - $37,590)

Ms. Wolgamuth reported, there is no increase in costs this year.  I have received participation numbers for 2016 and I will provide those to everyone in Council packets this week. Are there any questions?

There were none.

FINANCE DEPARTMENT:

Mr. Wynne reported, we will have a number of pieces of legislation at the Council meeting on the 20th.

  • Budget 2017
  • Amended Official Certificate of Estimated Resources – 2017

Mr. Wynne reported, these will be on Third Read for final approval and submission to the County right after the meeting.  It is due by March 31st.

  • OneCommunity Annual Subscription Fee
  • OneCommunity Annual Fiber Ring Maintenance Fee

Mr. Wynne reported, this is the company that provides us with our internet service in the Village and also does the maintenance on the fiber ring on Beta Drive. We typically pay them $22,000 a year for that service; $15,000 for the internet service and $7,000 for the maintenance.  We get those invoices in March. We have already received a subscription invoice which typically is $15,000.  This time it is $12,000.  We are still waiting on the invoice for the fiber ring.  We hope to have that all in place by the Council meeting on the 20th.

  • Sale of automobiles
    • Former Parks and Recreation Director’s vehicle
    • Building Department vehicle

Mr. Wynne stated, we are looking to sell these vehicles. The one driven by the Parks and Recreation Director who recently retired is the Ford Taurus. The other is a spare Crown Victoria we had for the Building Department that has been sitting at the Service garage.  The Service mechanic has said that both vehicles have pretty much had it.  We are going to put them out to bid and sell them.  They will not be replaced.

  • Wage Ordinance
  • General Terms and Conditions of Employment
  • Collective Bargaining Agreement – Police
  • Collective Bargaining Agreement – Fire

Mr. Wynne stated, there will be legislation for the wages and terms of employment for employees and also for the collective bargaining agreements for Police and Fire.  Council was provided with marked-up pieces of legislation and contracts reflecting the changes we have discussed with Council over the past two Executive Sessions.  The hope would be that even though they are on First Read to have them passed at the meeting on the 20th.

LAW DEPARTMENT:

  • Legislation Repealing Ordinance No. 80-66 relative to medical coverage for the Mayor

Mr. Diemert reported, this has been on the books since 1980.  This Mayor has not availed herself at all of it.  As a result, we should make it consistent with what Council’s decision was a couple of weeks ago.  She has asked that this be passed.

Mr. Diemert continued, also on April 3rd, we are going to have the mediation on the lawsuit by West Chester Insurance and Selective Insurance which is against Mayfield Village relative to the Beta flooding, half a million dollars’ worth of damages from the more recent flood in ’14.  We are going to a mediator who has been appointed by agreement of the parties.  They will try and get the insurance companies to come to some kind of agreement with each other.  I will keep the Mayor and you posted as to how that mediation goes, how we still think our legal arguments are good and your contribution of already authorizing the purchase of property to help alleviate that problem is a pretty large contribution already.  We believe there should be some resolution there given the legal position of all the parties.

Mr. Jerome asked, is there any reason for us to discuss anything in Executive Session or not until after the mediation?

Mr. Diemert replied, after the mediation.  Right now I don’t know what I can give you in the way of finances that would be needed from the Village.  It is our position that we are contributing more than enough and that we have no legal exposure because of a prior settlement agreement and prior payments by the parties and the insurance company and the engineers having made this decision to do what they are now claiming was the Village’s fault.  I don’t see why we would be liable.  There could be a twist in that and if there is, then after that we will ask for an Executive Session.

Mr. Jerome stated, thank you.

PARKS & RECREATION:

  • Replacement coverings/cables for six player benches at Parkview Softball Fields
    (Shade Systems, Inc. - $15,000)

Mr. McAvinew stated, this was discussed both at Safety and Service and Finance.  This is for shading at the Parkview Softball Fields.

  • Poured in place repair at pool and playground (AquaSeal Resurfacing - $12,500)

Mr. McAvinew stated, this was discussed both at Safety and Service and Finance.

  • Marketing and promotion for 2017 Grove season (Rosenberg Advertising - $8,000)

Mr. McAvinew stated, this was discussed both at Safety and Service and Finance.

Mr. Marrie asked, is this the same price as last year?

Mr. McAvinew replied, yes.

  • Sodium Hypo Chlorite and Muriatic Acid for Parkview Pool (Sal Chemical – not to exceed $8,000)

Mr. McAvinew stated, this was discussed both at Safety and Service and Finance.   This is a collaboration between multiple municipalities.  We recommend going with Sal Chemical as a conglomerate which saves us about $4400 compared to the next competitor.  Are there any questions?

There were no questions.

POLICE DEPARTMENT:

  • MARCS mobile radios (Motorola Solutions - $21,451.84)

Chief Edelman replied, this is for the unmarked cars and motorcycles.  As you know, we transferred over to the MARCS radio platform this year.  This is the final piece of equipment we need to purchase.  We have the dispatch equipment in, the portable radios for all of the officers, mobile radios in the patrol cars.  This is the final piece.  This is for the unmarked cars and motorcycles.

  • AED’s for police cars and the station (Physio-Control, Inc. - $20,800)

Chief Edelman reported, as I mentioned in Finance Caucus, we are a little behind the curve on this.  We should have had this last year when we received our Naloxone from the Health Department.  This will help us in the event that as first responders we encounter opiate overdoses or any other medical issues.

SERVICE DEPARTMENT:

Mr. Metzung stated, I have nothing to report this evening, other than to say congratulations on a swift meeting, but still not the record pace of Tommy Marrie.

Council President Pro Tem Williams stated, I just learned the record was 8:07 p.m..

ANY OTHER MATTER BEFORE COUNCIL:

Council President Pro Tem Williams asked, are there any other matters before Council this evening?

Mr. Jerome stated, I have two items I was going to bring up.  The first one is for Council or anybody else in the audience.  We have the Mother’s Day Pancake Breakfast coming up. Danielle gave me the volunteer sign-up sheet.  I am going to pass this down to Council so they can sign up for the times they want to do it.

Mr. Jerome continued, the other item I was going to mention, I brought this up at Safety and Service.  I am looking into a potential ordinance of limiting tobacco sales to persons under the age of 21.  The Law Department did some research on it and found that, yes, a chartered municipality can enact it as an ordinance.  Cleveland did this last year.  There’s a number of cities in Central Ohio.  So, I am in the early stages of looking into a little bit more.  Basically, there’s a group that is on the forefront of this trying to get this across the country.  There are about 200 or so cities that have done this nationwide of limiting tobacco sales to the age of 21.  They found that in 2014, overall use of tobacco among youth rose exposing dangerous trends, clever marketing, tobacco industry pushing small cigars, e-cigarettes, flavored vapor products, putting a million young people at risk of lifelong nicotine addiction.  So I am in the early stages of looking into that.  If anyone has any questions or thought on that, please reach out to me or see me after the meeting.  We will probably do something at Citizen’s Advisory Committee a little further in the future.

Council President Pro Tem Williams asked, any other matters this evening?

There were no further matters.

There being no further matters, the meeting concluded at 8:12 p.m.