Caucus - September 12th 2016

MINUTES OF A COUNCIL CAUCUS
Mayfield
Village Civic Hall
Monday, September 12, 2016 - 8:00 p.m.

The Council of Mayfield Village met in Caucus Session on Monday, September 12, 2016 at Mayfield Village Civic Hall.  Council President Saponaro called the meeting to order at 8:00 p.m.

ROLL CALL:

Present: Mr. Jerome, Mr. Marquardt, Mr. Marrie, Mrs. Mills, Dr. Parker, Mr. Saponaro, and Mr. Williams

Also Present: Mayor Bodnar, Mr. Diemert, Mr. Wynne, Mr. Cappello, Chief Edelman, Chief Carcioppolo, Mr. Marrelli, Mr. Metzung, Mr. Thomas, Ms. Wolgamuth, and Mrs. Betsa

Absent: None

ADMINISTRATION:

  • Update on Monument Sign at Civic Center Driveway and LED Sign at Corner of Wilson Mills and SOM Center Road

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, we have two signs outside currently.  We have a 6 millimeter LED screen and a 10 millimeter.  We have gotten a price.  We have already approved the 10 millimeter at a price of $56,500.  If we want to upgrade to the 6 millimeter, it would be another $13,300 for a total of $69,800.  This is not an agenda item.  We have already accepted the 10 millimeter so if Council chooses or would like to have that on the agenda for the next meeting, we can do that.  I am really not sure how we make the decision.  The arguments for it are that the 10 millimeter is becoming a more standard screen so if we upgrade to the 6 millimeter it won’t become obsolete as quickly.  It will still be a better screen than the ones you see.

Council President Saponaro stated, your memo says that the 10 millimeter screen is 28,800 pixels and the 6 millimeter has 80,000 pixels.  That’s not double, that’s a huge difference.  The price differential going from 28,000 to 80,000 if you look at it that way.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Mr. Jerome stated, I think we should do it.

Dr. Parker asked, what is the expected life span?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, I don’t know what the expected life span is.  I will find that out.  I know they said after several years typically you will upgrade because I think everyone’s always upgrading as the pixels get better.

Council President Saponaro asked, is this like software?  Is that how we have to look at this?  Is this like having software, you get updates, or is it the equipment itself has a 20-year life span and then it is out the door?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, I am sure it has some amount of life span.  What I did ask them was as we build the structure and the screen drops in, will we then be able to take the screen out and replace it with a new screen?  That’s assuming the screen sizes stay fairly constant and I would think they would.  But I can certainly find out what the expected life is.  I don’t know that.

Council President Saponaro stated, okay.  Any other questions?

Ms. Wolgamuth asked, we can put it on the agenda?

Council President Saponaro replied, yes.

Mr. Williams asked, does bad weather play any role in pixels?  A bad storm on a dark night?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, I don’t think so.  I just asked them if it gets hit, like if cars go by and shoot rocks at it and he said they have these little steel pieces that come out beyond the pixel so if something hits it, it hits the steel thing first.

Mr. Williams asked, but as far as seeing it in the dark on a bad night?  Pixel density can make a difference, the 10 versus the 6.

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, I don’t know. We certainly could invite them to answer questions next Monday if Council would like that.

Council President Saponaro stated, from my perspective, if you can just get answers I don’t think we need to have a presentation, but that’s just me.  I think it is just updating on answering Councilman Williams’ and Councilman Parker’s questions, that would be great unless anyone has any objections.

  • Sound services provided at The Grove (Showtime Sound Company – additional $1,475)

Ms. Wolgamuth reported, this is the sound technicians that provide help to us at The Grove.  This is an additional amount because we requested additional lighting.  As programming went on through August, it started to get darker a little bit earlier and we had a lot of dance programs so we had them do additional lighting.  There was also an occasion where there was rain and they ended up staying an hour longer because they had to move the equipment inside the tent.  The additional amount is $1,475.  We need Council approval because it was over the $9,000 previously approved.

Council President Saponaro asked, but it is still part of a budgeted item?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, yes, it’s part of The Grove programming budget which is the $50,000 budget.

Council President Saponaro stated, right.  So we are still fine when it comes to that, correct?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, yes.

  • Appreciation Dinner – October 7, 2016 (not to exceed $8,000)

Ms. Wolgamuth reported, this has been scheduled for October 7th at the new Community Room.  As usual, we are asking for an amount not to exceed $8,000 and I expect we will stay under that.

Council President Saponaro asked, does anyone have any questions on that?

There were none.

BUILDING DEPARTMENT:

Mr. Marrelli stated, I saw both of those LED panels lit at the same time with the same program on and there is no comparison between the 10 and the 6.  The 6 is really really clear.  The 10 is really not clear.  If that means anything.

CLERK OF COUNCIL:

  • Upcoming events

Mrs. Betsa reported on the following upcoming events:

  • Fall Forum of the Northeast Ohio City Council Association – Thursday, September 15th.
    • Dr. Lisa Thomas will be speaking.
  • Hall of Fame and VIP Celebration – Mayfield Schools – Thursday, September 22nd.
  • NOACA’s 16th Annual Meeting – October 6th at the Cleveland Hilton Downtown
    • Community Design for Triple Bottom Line and a Vision of our Transportation Future
  • 2016 Ohio Municipal League Annual Conference – Columbus, Ohio – Wednesday, October 26th to Friday October 28th.

If anyone is interested in attending any of these events, please let me know.

Council President Saponaro stated, if anyone from Council is able to go to NOACA’s Annual Meeting, I cannot.  I am having surgery on October 4th.  I will be back for Council but I will be in recovery.  If anyone is able to go, it is 11:30 on a Thursday.  I would like to see if one of us can go.

Mr. Jerome stated, I will try to go.  Mr. Williams and I went last year.

Council President Saponaro stated, that would be great.  Any of these events are certainly something we can all benefit from.

COUNCIL PRESIDENT:

Council President Saponaro stated, I will be out Tuesday the 4th through the end of the week and then I will be back in the saddle for the Council meeting.  I will have a big thing on my shoulder for 6 weeks or so after that.

ENGINEER:

  • Traffic Signal Improvements – SOM Center Road and Sandalwood Road; SOM Center Road and Wilson Mills Road; SOM Center Road and Seneca Road/Aintree Park Drive
    (Bid opening – 7/15/16; Rebid – 8/26/16) (Signal Service Company - $89,349.10)

Mr. Cappello reported, we received the rebid in the amount of $89,349.10 by Signal Service.  The good news is they also do our maintenance on our traffic signals.  This is the audible signal upgrade for the signals we put in over on SOM and Wilson Mills and the one at Seneca/Aintree Park and SOM intersection.  It is going to upgrade the existing emergency signal at Sandalwood from a fire signal to a working traffic signal.  It also will have the audible crosswalk to it.

Council President Saponaro asked, does anyone have any questions on this?

There were none.

FINANCE DEPARTMENT:

  • Tax Rate Resolution for tax year 2016

Mr. Wynne reported, this is an annual requirement where we certify to the County how the property taxes we received are divvied up between the different funds. The main concern of the County with this Resolution is to make sure we have enough funds allocated to the Debt Retirement Fund to pay our principal and interest payments when they come due.

  • Tax Incentive Review Committee Meeting
    • Approval of TIFs

Mr. Wynne reported, I went downtown to the County on August 18th.  I met in front of the Committee and we reviewed all 5 TIF Agreements. All 5 Agreements were deemed to be in compliance with the Development Agreements and were extended again for another year which is a formality.

  • Monthly Financial Report – August 2016

Mr. Wynne stated, this will be on the Council agenda for approval.

Council President Saponaro asked, for the tax rate resolution, just to be clear, is this where you are looking at your tax bill and it shows you how everything has been split apart, schools, libraries, that type of thing?  Or is this something different?

Mr. Wynne replied, it’s similar to that.  The portion on that bill that shows it is going to the Village, our portion of everyone’s property bill is only about 6 or 7% of their total bill.

Council President Saponaro asked, so it is just put in there altogether?  And this is the detail that splits that apart?

Mr. Wynne replied, yes.  On an annual basis, we get between $750,000-775,000 from property taxes.  It just tells the County how to take that $750,000 and split it up amongst the General Fund, the Bond Retirement Fund and the Police Pension and Operating Fund.

Council President Saponaro stated, very good.  Thank you.  Does anyone have any questions on any of those items?

There were none.

LAW DIRECTOR:

Mr. Diemert reported, the rezoning of 730 SOM which as you know Planning Commission has returned back to Council.  Your legislation has already been read once.  The Second Reading will be this month.  The Third Reading will be in October.  However, the adoption will not occur until after the Public Hearing scheduled for November 7th.  Mary Beth will get notice in the Sun Messenger on September 15th.  All residents will receive a notice on October 17th and then the public hearing will take place on November 7th.  Thereafter Council will make its decision whether to adopt the legislation or not to adopt the legislation.  If you do adopt it, it will go to the voters next year.  If you do not adopt it, the issue is dead unless the property owner decides to pursue some other remedy like initiative petition or otherwise.  These dates have not been objected to at all by the lawyer for the property owner so it is good to go.

Mr. Jerome asked, is the public hearing after the Third Reading, or the night of the Third Reading?

Mr. Diemert replied, we advertise 30 days before the public hearing on November 7th. The Second Reading will be in November where you make a decision so you have time to digest.  You won’t have to act the night of the public hearing.  You will have the public come to the meeting on the 7th.  We will call it a Special Meeting for the purpose of the public hearing.  That’s all. You won’t have to make a decision that night unless you want to.

With regard to Scasny, Mr. Diemert reported, I wrote a letter to Council about the lawsuit that has been going on since 2011.  The Court of Appeals upheld the trial court and the trial court upheld Council. Council upheld the Board of Zoning Appeals. Board of Zoning Appeals upheld John Marrelli. So, so far it’s been upheld all the way through four Judges and all of Council and the Board of Zoning Appeals and the most important of course being the Building Commissioner’s decision.  They do have an opportunity to appeal the Supreme Court.  They have already filed a notice with the Court of Appeals for them to reconsider their decision.  They are not likely to do that but they can ask for an en banc decision review by all justices in the Court of Appeals.  I am not sure if they will do that for a cooktop stove, which is what this is all over.  So be it. That’s where we are at with that one. There is only one Councilman here that had not been here when this all started and I spent some time explaining it to him and he said I heard enough.

  • Legislation authorizing entering into a Grant Agreement with Ohio Development Services Agency for financial assistance through the Local Government Safety Capital Grant Program to purchase (2) MCC 7500 IP Dispatch Consoles for the Mayfield Village Police Department.

Mr. Diemert reported, this is legislation for the Grant Agreement with Ohio Development Services.

  • Legislation authorizing seeking financial assistance from the State Issue I Infrastructure Bond Program for funding of Phase II of the sewer project on Thornapple, Robley and a portion of Wilson Mills Road

Mr. Diemert reported, this legislation is asking permission to go ahead and apply for State Issue I Infrastructure Bond Program for a sewer project on Thornapple, Robley and Wilson Mills.

Council President Saponaro stated, I don’t think we were clear in the timing part of it, Tommy.  If we were to be successful in getting the funding, we are looking to put monies away next year, are we talking about 2018 or 2017?

Mr. Cappello replied, if you get the funding you can’t begin construction until after July 1, 2017.  We can start it that year.  The project would probably end up being a two season project anyway.

Council President Saponaro asked, does anyone have any questions?

Mr. Marrie asked, so it could start next year after July?

Mr. Cappello replied, if everything worked out, we get funding or whatever we decide to do.

Mr. Diemert stated, but no one would have to connect until 2018 at the earliest.

Council President Saponaro asked, does anyone have any questions for Tom? 

There were none.

PARKS AND RECREATION:

  • Parkview Pool Filtration/Heater Room
    Update on bid opening (8/19/16); Rebid (9/16/16)

Mr. Thomas reported, we opened up bids on August 19th for the pool heater.  They came in a little bit higher than we anticipated.  We sat down immediately to work out some additional adjustments to the building.  We are opening up those bids on Friday of this week.  We are hoping they come in at a better price so we can bring it back to you this coming Monday.

  • Fall/Winter Community Rec Brochure – Printing (PM Graphics - $5,563)

Mr. Thomas reported, this is our biannual cost we have for printing.  We printed 21,250 copies.  19,100 were mailed to the School District.  It came in at $5,563.  I will try to do a not to exceed next time we do this so we have that price to you ahead of time.  I reminded them a couple times but they did not get it until August 26th.  The name of the individual we work with from Digest media is James Patty.

POLICE DEPARTMENT:

  • Advertising for bids for sale of two police vehicles

Chief Edelman reported, I am seeking Council approval to advertise for bids for the sale of two of my old police cars, both of which are over 100,000 miles.  They were replaced earlier this year with the new cars.

Council President Saponaro asked, any questions?

There were none.

Council President Saponaro asked Chief Edelman, is this the first season we have had the bike patrol?

Chief Edelman replied, it is.

Council President Saponaro asked at the next Council meeting or in November, whenever it is convenient for you, can you provide a report on how that is working out?

Chief Edelman replied, sure. I think November would be more appropriate.  I will have more facts by then.

Council president Saponaro stated, good, terrific.  Thank you.

SERVICE DEPARTMENT:

  • Euclid Creek Watershed Program Renewal (2017-2020)

Mr. Metzung reported, the Euclid Creek Watershed Program Renewal is up.  The specific area we use them mostly for is for our bike program which is public information and public education. This is all to fulfill our Phase II stormwater agreement with the EPA.

  • Purchase of a new wheel loader (Murphy Tractor & Equipment Company - $153,537 – after declaring 1997 Case 621B surplus)

Mr. Metzung reported, this is for a John Deere tractor to replace our 1997 case loader.  As I mentioned at the other meeting, this is probably our most important piece of equipment that we own.  We use it for everything about every day.  This is a good time to replace it.

  • Discussion of NEORSD stabilization of Beechers Brook and possible trail connection

Mr. Metzung reported, now that their stormwater program is up and running, they are looking to begin doing some restoration projects that they have throughout the area. One of them is our Beechers Brook which is just north of Fisher’s Tavern.  When we purchased the Faulkner property, we had always looked to put a trail connector into that area where the south underpass is.  This agreement could allow us to piggyback on to stream restoration and put a trail there.  We will have some more details hopefully come next week with some kind of specific dollar amount, what they are looking for, for the engineering.  We would be obligated for any engineering and construction cost of the trail, but the stream restoration is all on Regional Sewer District.

Council President Saponaro stated, as you said in Finance, this is a good opportunity that we would be able to do two things and combine them together and at the end of the day if it was cost-prohibitive for whatever reason, the only thing we would be responsible for is the engineering and design charges.

Mr. Metzung stated, as they do their stabilization and figure how they want to do it, they can keep this in mind.

Council President Saponaro asked, do we have any type of, where NEORSD is not going to come in and fund it, do we have opportunities with the other watersheds that could help a portion of it?  Because it’s related to and part of and there’s an erosion and we want to control that?  According to what I read, we have to control that.

Mr. Metzung stated, with the stabilization, hopefully when we redo the stabilization, we hope to raise the stream bank back up so we regain the flood plain in that area which is always there.  That kind of area is what the watershed would be all about. They help you try to find funding for that.  But since Regional Sewer District is already going to go ahead and do that, their portion, there’s really nowhere for the watershed to be looking.  I have never heard of any type of watershed help for putting a trail or anything of that nature in.

Council President Saponaro asked, aren’t we responsible after they put everything in to maintain?  You create the bluffs and you want to maintain those so that the erosion does not occur?

Mr. Metzung replied, the Sewer District will be obligated to maintain this.  When this program began, streams that drained a certain acreage—

Mr. Cappello stated, over 300 acres.

Mr. Metzung continued, once it gets to that point, it becomes the Regional Sewer District’s infrastructure. That’s why they are willing to take care of it.  We have an area up at Worton Park where when you are on Northwood Lane where the streams come together, that’s in the regional district. You get behind that on Norman and it’s not.  It’s that cut off point.

Mr. Cappello stated, this is all being funded by the Sewer District stormwater fees that you are starting to see on your tax bill.

Council President Saponaro asked, does anyone have any questions on any of these?

There were none.

Council President Saponaro stated, if you have not had an opportunity, there was the e-mail from Claire Posius.

Mr. Metzung stated, from Rachel Webb. Claire was for the program renewal with Euclid Creek.

Council President Saponaro stated, with regard to Euclid Creek.  Claire gives you information for the work Euclid Creek did from 2002 to 2016, listing money, leverage for the watershed and all of the programs that they have done. If you have not had a chance to look at it, you should definitely do that.  Does anyone else have any questions on this?

Mr. Metzung stated, just so people are aware.  We have a miniscule amount of Euclid Creek in the Village. It’s just the area you see off of 271 that cuts through Progressive Campus II and snakes up to White Road.  What they do for us is to provide the education and things of that nature.

IN COMMITTEE (STATUS):

Council President Saponaro asked, does anyone on Council want to share any committee reports?

Mrs. Mills reminded everyone about the Ice Cream Social on Wednesday from 6:30-8:00 at Wiley Park and Bennett VanCuren Museum.

Council President Saponaro reminded everyone that the Voice of the Village deadline is October 7th.

Mr. Thomas reported, Healthy Mayfield, a healthy communities initiative, a collaborative effort between Cleveland Clinic, the Metroparks and the Library is being held at Mayfield Stadium Wednesday from 6-8.  I will be coming over to the ice cream social after that.  I have fliers if anyone is interested.

ANY OTHER MATTERS BEFORE COUNCIL:

Council President Saponaro asked, are there any other matters before Council?

There were no further matters.

There being no further matters, the meeting concluded at 8:25 p.m.