Caucus - March 7th 2016

MINUTES OF A COUNCIL CAUCUS
Mayfield
Village Civic Hall
Monday, March 7, 2016 - 8:00 p.m.

The Council of Mayfield Village met in Caucus Session on Monday, March 7, 2016 at Mayfield Village Civic Hall. Council President Saponaro called the meeting to order at 8:05 p.m.

ROLL CALL:

Present: Mr. Jerome, Mr. Marquardt, Mr. Marrie, Mrs. Mills, Dr. Parker, Mr. Saponaro and Mr. Williams

Also Present: Mayor Bodnar, Mr. Wynne, Mr. Guidetti, Mr. Cappello,Chief Edelman, Chief Carcioppolo, Mr. Marrelli, Mr. Metzung, Mr. Thomas, Mr. Esborn, Ms. Wolgamuth, and Mrs. Betsa

Absent: None

Council President Saponaro reminded everyone to make sure their microphones are on and when they are speaking to make sure they speak into the microphone so that the audience can hear everything.

Council President Saponaro stated, with the exception of the Council agenda, we are making the Safety and Service, Finance and Caucus agendas uniform. Also if a department head does not have an agenda item, they don’t need to be there. If something comes up, you can always talk to us about it in Any Other Matters. Whatever the Mayor dictates in terms of whether she wants you at the meetings or not. Also, I talked about this in Finance, we are going to limit Safety and Service items to Safety and Service issues and we will limit Finance agendas to the expenditure aspect of it. There will be some times where they blend together, but there is always opportunities for discussion on the floor of Council as well. We are going to try to keep our meetings efficient and move them forward. Also, there are a lot of people who come to Finance, including members of the public, so we have to make sure we accommodate them. I would suggest we move Finance into this room, but we don’t want to interfere with other meetings. We will have to figure out if that is going to work, but just fyi on that.

ADMINISTRATION:

  • Permeable Pavers at The Grove Ampitheatre (The R.J. Platten Contracting Company – not to exceed $21,725)

Ms. Wolgamuth reported, with the assistance of our engineer Tom Cappello, we put together designs and specifications for approximately 810 square feet of additional pavers that would be adjacent to the current circular stage that exists there. Of the four quotes, R.J. Platten Contracting came in the lowest at $19,725. Mr. Cappello recommends we do a 10% contingency for unforeseen conditions which takes us to $21,725. We would like to get those pavers in before the season this year. We are hopeful Council will approve this at their Regular Meeting.

  • Marketing and promotion for 2016 Grove season (Rosenberg Advertising - $8,000)

Ms. Wolgamuth reported, last year we hired Rosenberg Advertising to do marketing and promotion for The Grove. I think we were all pretty happy with what they did. They have come back this year to do the same work plus two additional items. They will do a dedicated Facebook page for The Grove and they will do some research on on-line calendars that all Grove programing can be included on. They are willing to do it again for $8,000 for the season.

  • Community Room Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment Package (Bid opening March 16, 2016)

Ms. Wolgamuth reported, this is currently out to bid. The bid opening is March 16th. Our estimate is $98,000. We hope to come in close to estimate and be able to make a recommendation at the Regular Meeting.

  • Planning
    • OneCommunity Annual Subscription Fee ($15,000.00)
    • OneCommunity Annual Fiber Ring Maintenance Fee ($7,000.00)

Mr. Esborn reported, we have paid each of these in the same amounts for the last 6 years. The annual subscription fee is basically the fee for internet service. The annual fiber ring maintenance fee is for maintaining the actual ring of fiber we own under Beta Drive. Are there any questions on that?  

Mr. Esborn reported, we have an incentive agreement with QED. Part of that agreement says at the beginning of each year following a calendar year in the term, the M.C.I.C. shall perform an annual review and assessment of the Company’s compliance with the terms of the Agreement. Initially I thought that maybe I would be able to do that review and write a notification for QED on behalf of M.C.I.C., but in talking to the Legal Department, we really think that M.C.I.C. should convene to review the numbers. The minimum for QED was about $133,000. They generated about $160,000, so they exceeded the minimum but we think that because of the agreement language, M.C.I.C. should convene just to do that review so we can send out notification.

Council President Saponaro asked, so M.C.I.C. will have to convene at the beginning of each year other than the organizational meeting, but there’s going to be more? This is just QED that is coming through. Annually, it’s going to come during this timeframe each year?

Mr. Guidetti replied, the first quarter is a good rule and that way you can do all of them at once instead of doing them piecemeal throughout the year.

Council President Saponaro replied, right, because we have to do them within a certain amount of days after the fiscal year, correct?

Mr. Guidetti replied, I don’t think there’s an actual time limit in there. It says the beginning of the year.

Council President Saponaro asked, are you suggesting we do the organizational meeting for M.C.I.C. then? Generally, we do it before the first meeting of the year.

Mr. Guidetti replied, you can do them back to back.

Council President Saponaro stated, if we can have one meeting, that would be great. We will figure out the logistics of that.

Mr. Esborn stated, the last item is just a quick update on Magnus. Unfortunately, the talks have stalled between Magnus and the owners at 600 Beta. The company has been very clear that it has everything to do with the negotiations between them and the building owner. They were very happy with the relationship they had with the Village through the process. We have been working with them for the last couple months so I wanted to give an update.

CLERK OF COUNCIL:

  • Updating Codified Ordinances to 1-2016 (Walter Drane – not to exceed $5,150).

Mrs. Betsa stated, the codified ordinances have been updated, containing all legislation passed in 2015. The amount is higher from previous years due to the required creation of new Chapter 176, amending the municipal income tax codes.

COUNCIL PRESIDENT:

Council President Saponaro stated, we are still discussing Standing Rules for self-governance. We will continue the conversation and I will continue conversations with each of the Council members. Once we do come up with something, it will go to each of Council and Administration and we will proceed from there. This is for Standing Rules for our own governance. Nothing for Codification or Ordinance or Charter purposes, but for the running of our body.

The elected officials’ conference is coming up on March 22nd-24th. It’s an annual event. All of Council and the Mayor are welcome to attend. It’s got some good programming.

The Ohio Auditor’s website is a wealth of information and knowledge for all of us regarding the budgetary process, rules of order; so many different things that can help the Village. There’s a Village Officer’s Handbook that is about 355 pages of good information. It’s not all applicable to this Village, but it really is helpful. I encourage anyone to go on that website if they need additional information.

ENGINEER:

  • SOM Center Road and Sandalwood Drive Pedestrian Crosswalk Traffic Signal Conversion Plans (TMS Engineers, Inc. - $7,370)

Mr. Cappello stated, this is a proposal for engineering required to prepare plans and specifications for the conversion of the existing SOM Center/Sandalwood emergency signal to a standard traffic signal.

FINANCE DEPARTMENT:

  • Employee AD&D & Life Insurance (MetLife)

Mr. Wynne reported, this is our annual renewal with MetLife for life insurance for full-time employees. MetLife has agreed to renew the policy at no additional cost to the Village for the next 12 months.

  • Amended Official Certificate of Estimated Resources – 2016

Mr. Wynne stated, this is the legislation we pass to provide our estimated revenues for this year to the County Fiscal Officer. We will be passing this at the Council meeting along with the appropriations budget for 2016.

  • Budget 2016

Mr. Wynne stated, since the initial draft copies were provided to Council, there have been meetings between the Department Heads and Council President to go over various budget items as well as capital projects and there have been several changes coming forth based on those discussions.

In addition to the traffic light conversion at SOM and Sandalwood, we are going to be looking at putting three audible traffic signals at the intersections of SOM and Sandalwood, SOM and Wilson Mills and SOM and Seneca that will cost approximately $32,000 apiece. We will be increasing that budget line item from $51,000 to $150,000

For signage, we had initially planned to just put two masonry wall signs at the Civic Center at the new driveway entrance. We will still do two signs. One is going to be here. It is going to be a masonry digital sign in front of the Civic Center perpendicular to Wilson Mills and then a similar type sign over at the new Community Room site to replace the old sign that is there. That budget is going to increase from $60,000 to $80,000. We are estimating approximately $40,000 per sign.

We added $20,000 to the budget to put in additional light poles at the Civic Center parking lot towards the west end of the lot where it is darker by the secondary drive.

There are two items we are removing from the budget pending applications for funding. One is the tennis courts for $100,000. We will be removing that and applying for grant funding for that project and also we had budgeted $65,000 to expand the gravel parking lot at the softball parking lot. We are going to defer that to another year at the same time we address the intergenerational park and do it all as one total project at that point in time.

Mr. Jerome asked, do we know of any grants that would be available for the audible crosswalk signals?

Mr. Esborn replied, our first thought, especially because Lyndhurst was able to use NOACA funding for the audible signals, was to go through NOACA. The tough thing there was that it would be several years out. Even if NOACA put our audible signal program on their priority list, it would be 2019 or 2020 before it would be implemented.

Council President Saponaro asked, it’s not a reimbursement where we could fund it, put it together and then we could get reimbursed for it?

Mr. Esborn replied, we couldn’t do the work and then get reimbursed.

Council President Saponaro asked, any other questions? There were none.

FIRE DEPARTMENT:

  • Fire Station Exhaust

Chief Carcioppolo reported, this is on here so you all know that I am going to be going out to bid as soon as possible to replace our station’s exhaust system. The original system was moved from our old fire station to the new fire station. The company that made it went out of business. We have been bandaiding it with old parts that we had in surplus. We have run out of those resources. It’s not working at all anymore. I am working on getting a bid together. I just wanted to let you all know.

Council President Saponaro asked, and this is part of the capital budget?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, this is part of our capital budget for this year. There’s $90,000 allotted for it. I am expecting this to come in at the $60,000-70,000 range.

Council President Saponaro asked, any questions? There were none.

IN COMMITTEE (STATUS):

  • Activities Committee

Mrs. Mills stated, I have the list for the Pancake Breakfast. Normally we like to have Council members either cook pancakes or sausage. I am going to pass this sign-up sheet down. I hope everyone can sign up for a time.

Also, a gentle reminder, next Tuesday voting is here, not in the Community Room.

  • Safety and Service Committee

Mr. Jerome stated, about 6 months ago, a resident in Village Trails had inquired about a sidewalk extending from the existing sidewalk to Hanover going all the way to Village Trails. We talked briefly. He went out on his own and talked to people in his neighborhood. Most of them were in favor of seeing that happen. We talked briefly at Safety and Service about the possibilities of doing it, can it be done, what are some of the costs? There was a survey of the land done by the engineer. Right now, I am going to talk to the individual at Village Trails. He mentioned he would talk to people on Wilson Mills where the actual sidewalk would really affect people to see what their consensus is on that. Right now it’s being discussed but it’s back in their court. I will be sure to get back with him.

We also discussed that on February 12th I had reached out to the Engineer about the road program, Bonneview, Glenview and Beech Hill. I came up with a suggestion for the road program of possibly piping or culverting the roadside ditches. Reason being was it seemed still a 50/50 consensus of half the people want status quo, keep the road the same, they like it and the other half would like to see the road widened for various reasons,

Council President Saponaro stated, it’s not 50/50. From all of our indication, it was less than that amount because the issue became we want it widened and then it became a budgetary issue. There are people that still want it. I don’t want to put out there that it’s 50/50 because it certainly is not.

Mr. Jerome continued, even if it was 50/50, we didn’t plan on doing it. It is going to cost additional dollars. There was a question of whether it is really something that needs to be done. Basically my point was that if we culvert the ditches, there’s pros and cons to it. The road would stay the same width which made people happy but there was less ditches which some of the complaints were with the road being too narrow, where this might alleviate some of that. But then there’s cons to it also with, there could be some flooding issues, water quality issues and obviously the infrastructure cost to do it. It was something that we discussed and was another option I had thrown out there. I know on my own street, it’s not exactly this but there’s not too deep of swales and there’s a good number of catch basins and it seems to be working pretty well. I just wanted to bring it up that this was presented to us with a cost of about $425,000 that it would take to do this.

Council President Saponaro asked, anyone else with In Committee reports? There were none.

MAYOR:

Mayor Bodnar stated, Diane Wolgamuth and I have been working with Donna Heath. We would like to try and find ways to increase the participation of our senior citizens in the programs we offer and the programs offered through the Community Partnership on Aging. Along those lines, you will hear more about that at the next Council meeting.

The Community Room is coming along. We cannot wait for it to be finished and we can’t wait to show it off to the members of our Committee. We have set a tentative date of Sunday, August 21st for a community open house where we can invite the members of Mayfield Village in to come and take a look at the finished product and enjoy it.

I passed out free tickets to City Music. I was at a concert yesterday and met one of the women who was instrumentally involved in it. City Music is a professional chamber orchestra that performs at various locations throughout Cleveland three times a year. The tickets have the next performance dates on the back and the places they are performing. They do not have their own concert hall. It is free. They take a good will offering. If you have any interest in classical music, you will not be disappointed if you attend one of these concerts. This time they are having a guest soprano in. It should be a very good concert. Along the same lines of music, Diane Wolgamuth has been working on getting the Cleveland Institute of Music to have some students come in and perform. I will let you take it from there Diane.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, at long last they have agreed to do a series here in Reserve Hall. It will be starting in the Fall. We selected the dates of October 20th, December 1st and then next Spring on March 23rd and April 20th. Those are Thursday evenings at 7:30. The Mayor suggested that maybe we speak to some of the local restaurants and see if they might want to do a dinner package and a show. At this point, the concerts would all be open and free to the public. The cost to us is pretty minimal. It’s $50-75 per student. Each of the groups will probably have four to five students. That is what we are looking at. This year on April 8th, there is a Senior Anniversary Party. They are going to do an afternoon concert after the Anniversary Party that also will be open to the public. We will try to get the word out that that is available also.

PARKS & RECREATION:

  • Summer Camp employee compensation

Mr. Thomas stated, this is our annual summer camp ordinance for their compensation. We do a joint program with Mayfield Heights. That’s our Teen Adventure Camp for our 7th and 8th graders as well as our Mayfield Village Summer Camp. This is a new camp. We no longer offer Sports N More Camp. We moved the Summer Camp out of Wildcat Sport and Fitness. It will be under the new picnic shelter by the restrooms by Parkview. We are very excited about that. We have gone from 5 weeks to 8 weeks. We are giving parents the flexibility to sign up for two weeks, four weeks, six weeks or eight weeks.

  • Parkview Recreation Complex employee compensation

Mr. Thomas reported, this is the ordinance for the Parkview Recreation Complex.   Nothing has changed on this from last year. The minimum wage remained at $8.10. We are keeping that the same.

  • Recommendation for Sodium Hypo Chlorite and Muriatic Acid (Sal Chemical – not to exceed $8,000).

Mr. Thomas reported, this is all our chemicals we use for Parkview Pool. We are recommending Sal Chemical. They were the low bid last year and they are the low bid again this year. Our recommendation is not to exceed $8,000 in case we have a weather situation where it gets hot and we are using more chlorine. We could go with the actual cost of $6,905 but I think we are playing it safe by offering not to exceed $8,000.

I left you a copy of the Spring/Summer brochure. We just got it today. It’s at the post office. Hopefully in the next 10 days or so, you should receive it at home.

SERVICE DEPARTMENT:

  • Bellcrank (front lifting arm) for 621 case loader (Emergency purchase – Southeastern Equipment - $6,676.21) (Straw vote approved 3/4/16).

Mr. Metzung reported, this is the lift arm for our 621 case loader which broke. I took a straw vote from Council so I can get this part ordered. It will save us a week. It is a vital piece of equipment.

In that regard, as I have mentioned in the past with this year’s mild winter, I still have 500 tons of salt that I have to take order for and maybe 200 tons of salt that I have room for. Hopefully we can squeeze some more room into that bin and get it all in before the end of the year.

With regard to fertilization of our sports fields, Mayfield Village does the fertilization of our sports fields internally. We like to put it down in smaller qualities more often. There’s a real pride to those fields. We had two suppliers bid. They were able to supply us with most of the items. One supplier was able to supply us with all of them. I did a comparison of the like items. Walker Supply was the low bid on that. That is my recommendation as we move forward.

Also, we have gone out to bid for our tree plantings this year. 55 trees are planned in various locations throughout the Village.

ANY OTHER MATTER BEFORE COUNCIL

Council President Saponaro asked, any other matters to be discussed?

Mr. Marquardt asked about the Fappiano issue.

Mr. Metzung stated, Mark has looked into that. He will meet with Tommy tomorrow to go over that.

Mr. Guidetti stated, basically, it was requested to find any applicable easement. We had to dig through our files. That took a little bit of time. We did find three potentially applicable easements and are going to sort through those tomorrow.

Mr. Metzung stated, the gist of it is, during the SOM widening, median locations were chosen. Right next to the Fappiano drive was the Zako drive. At that point we had purchased the Zako property. In order to make the median in that area as large as possible, we had an agreement with Mr. Fappiano to use our driveway and do a crossover on to their property so that they would have ingress and egress out of that driveway. There are two driveways right next to each other. That was the easement we were looking for.

Mr. Marquardt stated, Mr. Fappiano did agree to that and wants to know what the alternatives are now. It’s a bad situation for them to get in and out of their driveway.

With regard to the tree plantings, Mr. Marrie asked, is there a way to talk to the State to replace the trees that all died on the ramp on the northbound going off the freeway?

Mr. Metzung replied, I know Steve mentioned that also. I have driven that. I don’t really know.

Mr. Marrie replied, if you are coming from Mayfield Heights, at the very end there used to be 7-8 nice pines. I don’t know what happened but they all died and were pulled out. I thought at that time there was a replacement talk. Could you do something about that? Every one of the entrances look decent except that one looks kind of vacant.

Mr. Metzung stated, I know that was done as a cooperative with ODOT.

Mr. Marrie stated, ODOT had a big hand and say in it.

Mr. Metzung asked, who was the contact?

Mr. Saponaro replied, Ed Rahel. Mary Beth, can you get him the information? He will work with you. He’s a good guy.

Mr. Metzung stated, that’s who we worked with the first time. We will revisit that.

Going back to the road program, Mr. Cappello stated, one of the things I should have mentioned is you had talked about culverting. The contractor has contacted me. He is ready to start work basically in the next two to three weeks. There’s a point of no return regarding that issue. They are going to start installing the drive pipes and doing the ditching very shortly. I apologize I did not bring that up earlier. Just so everyone’s aware.

Council President Saponaro stated, just like we discussed in Safety and Service, there’s three ways this gets advanced. Administration brings it to us and says, hey, we have done this work and we think this should be part of the budget; Council can determine they think it should be advanced; or the citizens can determine it needs to be advanced. It’s not going to be part of Administration’s budget. Council generally does not run things like that. Not that we can’t but it’s not been requested. With regard to the sidewalk extension, Mr. Jerome is going to be following up with Mr. Klatte to see if this is a small group of people or a lot of people. There’s a lot involved in this. It’s one of those things we are going to have to look at. With culverting, that’s something that if there’s a large group of people, that would be different, but as of the last meeting, I have not heard anything. I don’t know if Administration has heard anything regarding anyone from that neighborhood that wanted any type of remediation.

Mayor Bodnar stated, I have not heard anything, Council President.

Council President Saponaro asked, anything else?

Mrs. Mills stated, Mr. Fisher has a special request in regards to the book that Al Muhle showed us, the history book. He would like to go to print. That is going to be the last week in March. If anyone is interested, they can call the Historical House and order one. They are $35.

Council President Saponaro stated, for the record, the Fisher family put together a historical book. They have been in Mayfield Village for a very long time. This book sets forth a lot of history not only of the Fishers and Fisher’s Tavern, but it also has a wealth of information regarding Mayfield Village. Al Muhle who is the President of the Historical Society, has decided to have that book available at the Historical House. There are only going to be limited amounts printed. If anyone is interested in that we should make sure it goes out on the website. It is something pretty amazing if you have had a chance to look at it.

Council President Saponaro asked, are there any other matters? There were no further matters.

There being no further matters, the meeting concluded at 8:35 p.m.