Caucus - March 2nd 2015

MINUTES OF A COUNCIL CAUCUS
Mayfield
Village Civic Hall
Monday, March 2, 2015 - 8:10 p.m.

The Council of Mayfield Village met in Caucus Session on Monday, March 2, 2015 at Mayfield Village Civic Hall.  Council President Pro Tem Marrie called the meeting to order at 8:10 p.m.

(Print friendly/PDF)

ROLL CALL: 

Present: Mr. Jerome, Mr. Marquardt, Mrs. Mills, Mr. Marrie, Mr. Saponaro, and Dr. Parker

Also Present: Mr. Wynne, Mr. Diemert, Mr. Cappello, Chief Edelman, Mr. Metzung, Chief Carcioppolo, Mr. DiNardo, Mr. Jeff Thomas, Ms. Wolgamuth, and Mrs. Betsa

Absent: Mr. Buckholtz, Mayor Rinker, Mr. Marrelli, Mr. Thomas, and Mr. Esborn

BUILDING DEPARTMENT:

Mr. Marrelli was unable to attend the meeting. 

Mr. Jerome stated, before I knew John wouldn’t be here, Joe Saponaro and I talked briefly about a report from the Building Department which includes what they do, what are some ideas of what they could do with housing inspections, enforcement issues, etc.  Once John gets back, we are going to bring it up at another Caucus meeting.

ADMINISTRATION:

Website Proposal (WRIS Web Services - $18,630.00)

Mr. Thomas reported, as we discussed in Finance, this is transitioning our site from a traditional design into a responsive design which would be accessible on multi-platforms, desktops, tablets, mobile.

Mr. Saponaro added, this was discussed in Finance. Basically what the responsive design does is that if you see it on your phone or I-Pad or tablet, it doesn’t cut off any part of it.  It actually reduces it so you can see it. 

Mr. Thomas stated, that’s the bulk of the design aspect.

Mr. Saponaro stated, but the behind the scenes, the way we are able to upload, the way we are able to not have to convert data, things of that nature, that’s really more of the behind the scenes.

Mr. Thomas stated, it’s been five years since we designed it. There’s been a lot of technology advancement since then.  It incorporates all those.

Mr. Saponaro stated, the software platform is being updated.  This is the same company that hosts the website. We have a value based on their hosting of it.

Mr. Thomas stated, we are saving a little money by sticking with them so we don’t have to migrate all our content to a new site.  They were doing it for us at a discounted rate.

Mr. Jerome asked, over the years, have you had any complaints with the setup of how it is now?

Mr. Thomas replied, no.  Maybe periodically something small, but it’s nothing that hasn’t been hard to change.

Mr. Jerome stated, so it has a new fresh look. 

Mr. Thomas replied, yes, on the front end and the back end.

Mr. Saponaro stated, everyone should look at Medina’s website. This company has done that.  There are features on there that will be added to this website.

Mr. Marrie asked, any other comments?  There were none.

Marketing and Promotion for The Grove (Rosenberg Advertising – not to exceed $10,000).

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, as we also discussed at Finance, The Grove Committee has recommended that marketing and promotion be taken over by an outside agency this summer. We have received three quotes and as requested by the Finance Committee, I am going to go back to the two other companies and ask them to revise their quotes based on a scope of change of work. I will get that to Council hopefully by Friday in their packets.

Mr. Marrie asked, any questions?  There were none.

FINANCE:

2015 Budget

Mr. Wynne reported, compared to the copies of the budget that Council has received already, as I mentioned at the last meeting, there were about $60,000 in expense increases from the copy you have that had to do with $35,000 needed for salt purchases, $16,000 for repair and maintenance of two softball fields and the soccer fields, a $3,000 increase in our dues to SPAN because Gates Mills has left that group and a $10,000 increase in our MARCs radio fees due to a price increase going into effect on July 1st. Those four items total $64,000.

In addition to that, there will be two further changes.  One would be we want to increase the repair and maintenance budget on rental property from $15,000 to $40,000 so a $25,000 increase. That is a result of a couple things.  Once the sewer project is completed, the Village will approach Council about wanting to sell the properties we own at 6827 Thornapple and 6826 Meadowood. We have had both properties appraised already. The appraisal on the Thornapple property is $140,000. We will be replacing the windows once Mr. Deacon leaves the house in June. We received comparables in that area in the $135,000-160,000 price range.  A $140,000-150,000 sale price appears reasonable to that home.  At 6826 Meadowood, the appraisal for that home came in at $110,000. Comparables in the area are in the $180,000-190,000 range.  We would have two options. One would be to invest the money to fix it up or to raise it.  To fix it up, Mr. Marrelli has given us a number of about $20,000 in improvements needed, the biggest piece of that being a new roof.  That is one of the homes involved with the sewer project. There will be no sewer assessment on that property because it is our own property. That would bring the increase in value of about $10,000. We would pay to have a lateral put in to connect the home to the sewer which would be an investment of another $10,000.  When the weather breaks and it comes time to make a decision to do those repairs and connections, we will approach Council to see if that’s the direction they want to go in.  Assuming we want to go in that direction and sell the home, we want to add $25,000 to the repair and maintenance budget. We also want to increase the Civic Center project from $200,000-330,000 which has to do with the repaving of the parking lot, lighting, a few islands and Tom, was signage also involved with that?

Mr. Cappello replied, no I did not have a number for signage. 

Mr. Wynne continued, Council will have in their packets this weekend an updated detailed budget with all of the changes I discussed highlighted with annotations as far as what those are all about.

Mr. Marrie asked, any questions?

Mr. Jerome asked, how does that eventually work with selling these houses?  We have an appraisal for what it is appraised at.  Do we come up with a number we would like to try to get for it?  How do we go down that path?

Mr. Wynne replied, we have gotten an opinion already from the Law Department. We have two options.  One would be to go the traditional route of listing it with a realtor, or the other would be to just advertise it in the newspaper for bids the same way like we sell used police cars.  I think advertising it for bid would be the quickest and easiest way to go.  We would sit down with Council and go over the appraisal, improvements and try to come to terms as to setting a minimum bid amount we are willing to accept. If we get bids in, we don’t have to accept them, we can turn them all down.

Mr. Jerome stated, sounds like a plan. Thank you.

Mr. Marrie asked, any other questions?  There were none.

Renewal of life insurance

Mr. Wynne reported, the contract is up April 1st.  It’s a 3 ½% increase this year. We have not had an increase in a couple years. That amounts to $150 total for the year.

Mr. Marrie asked, any questions?  There were none.

POLICE DEPARTMENT:

Update on proposed regional dispatch center

Chief Edelman reported, as I mentioned in Finance and Safety and Service, we are awaiting additional information which we have not received yet.  Once that happens, the Fire Chief and I will sit down and make our recommendations. We will hopefully have something for Council by the end of the week.  We can discuss it at the next meeting.

Also, last Monday, the Fire Chief and I addressed the Citizen’s Advisory Committee and talked about dispatch, answering some questions.  Everyone should have received the Minutes.

Mr. Marrie stated, it was a very good meeting.  It was very instructive to the people attending the meeting.  It was well-received.  Are there any questions?  There were none.

FIRE DEPARTMENT:

Chief Carcioppolo had nothing to report. 

Mr. Jerome asked, you hired one position and are going to try to hire another one?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, we are doing background investigations.  Once those are complete, we will be extending another job offer. That will bring us up to our normal staffing.

Mr. Jerome asked, but then where are you at?

Chief Carcioppolo asked, with adding more people?

Mr. Jerome asked, yes.  There’s a retirement coming up at the end of the year.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, there’s a retirement coming up earliest September of this year, latest December.   I would be looking to add a position before that person leaves so we don’t run into a scenario where we drop down a guy and bring someone in.

Mr. Jerome asked, do you have to retest?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, it would be off the list we currently have.  The cost difference between a part-time position 24 hours a day versus a Class C firefighter is negligible in difference. It is my recommendation that we hire that position to get that person going so when the departure happens, there’s no break in continuity.  It’s already done.

Mr. Jerome stated, that makes sense since you know it is coming.  Thank you.

Mr. Marrie asked, any questions?  There were none.

SERVICE DEPARTMENT:

Authorization to prepare specifications and go out to bid for 2015 Road Program (work to include waterline replacement on Bonnieview, Glenview and Beech Hill).

Mr. Metzung stated, I am looking for authorization to prepare specifications and go out to bid for the 2015 Road Program.  Work will include Bonnieview, Glenview, Beech Hill.  That also includes waterline replacement.  That will bring those four neighborhood streets all with new waterlines, probably on a program we will continue in the future.  As we hit some of the older neighborhoods, the Worton Parks, those kinds of things, we will probably look in to replacing water lines as we go.

Spring Tree Planting (Klyn Nursery - 80 trees (Raleigh Drive, Civic Center, and North Commons0 not to exceed $10,000)

Mr. Metzung reported, as we typically do every year, we will be looking at doing approximately 80 trees this Spring. The Raleigh Drive and Civic Center areas are areas where we made improvements to the ground so we want to replant those and North Commons where we cut down a lot of ash trees last year. We want to get in there and replace several of those.

Lawn Care Fertilization (Good Nature - $18,747.16)

Mr. Metzung reported, this is our continued fertilization of our Village-owned lands that we do. This is an all-organic fertilization. This does not include our sports fields.  I will have another quote for that.  We have used Good Nature in the past for that but we are going to look to buy our products from a different vendor this year for that period.

2015 Technical Assistance at Construction Sites per EPA Requirements (Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District - $13,000)

Mr. Metzung stated, this is where they come out and do all our inspections and all the technical things in that area that they are experts at.

Mr. Marrie stated, it has to be done.  Any questions? There were none.

PARKS & REC:

Liquid Chlorine, Muriatic Acid and Sodium Bicarbonate Group Bid Purchase
Legislation establishing Parkview Swimming Pool Employees Salary – 2015
Legislation creating certain positions and compensation – 2015 Summer Camp Program

In Mr. Thomas’ absence, Mr. Saponaro reported, this was discussed in Finance.  We will be receiving further information in our packets on the first item. The pool employee’s salary has been raised reflecting the increase in minimum wage. In the summer camp position, the minimum wage is increased to $8.10.  It also reflects a decrease in the salaries of the Director and Co-Director having a savings of roughly $8,000-9,000. 

Mr. Marrie asked, anything else? There was no additional comment.

ANY OTHER MATTERS

Mr. Marrie asked, are there any other matters?

Ms. Wolgamuth mentioned that Cuyahoga Soil and Water is doing a green cleaning workshop on Wednesday at 6:30.  If anyone is interested, it’s free.  It’s to create products to replace toxins and other harsh chemicals that you use at your home.

Ms. Wolgamuth further reported, on March 14th, the Conservatory for the Performing Arts is going to try to host their first stand-up comedy show here in Reserve Hall. The headliner is Bill Squire who is the co-host of the Allen Cox show on WMMS. I am not familiar with him, but I am told he is very funny. There will be two other comedians as well. They have not been named yet.  I will e-mail the flyer to everyone.  I was trying to get a group together to meet at a local restaurant and then come to the show. I will send that invitation out tomorrow.

Mr. Marrie asked, any other item? There were no further matters.

The meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m. 

Respectfully submitted,

Mary E. Betsa, CMC

Clerk of Council