The Grove - August 27th 2013

Mayfield Village
“The Grove” Committee
August 27, 2013 Meeting Minutes

The Grove Committee met on Tuesday, August 27, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. at the Civic Center.

Print friendly/pdf documents:

 

Present:         
Garry Regan, Pat Andrzejczyk, Steve Jerome, Dave Hoehnen, Blythe DiCicco, Ron DiNardo, and  Rick Hall                    

Also in Attendance:

Diane Wolgamuth, Director of Administration
Patsy Mills, Mayfield Village Council
Scott Sipos, Mayfield Village Service Dept.

Recap of Opening Events – Dancing Under the Stars and Dance Stop Performance

Mr. Regan opened the meeting and asked if anyone had comments they would like to make about the weekend.  Mr. Hoehnen stated that he noted that people of all ages came to The Grove to participate in the events.  He felt that the events appealed to everyone on the spectrum.  He thought that for the first night, “Dancing Under the Stars” was a success with over 100 people attending.  Mr. Hoehnen also commented that the light tower placed behind the stage was too bright and lights should be placed on the sides of the stage in the future. 

Mr. Dinardo stated that the site needs an overall lighting plan.  Mr. Regan commented that the site only needs enough light for safety and suggested lights coming out of the trees would be appealing.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated that the only difficulties over the weekend were with parking.  She suggested a sign at the curb cut on SOM indicating that it is for service vehicles only.  The Committee also felt that directional signs at North Commons would be helpful. 

Mr. Regan stated that, for the record, he wanted to recognize the Service Department for their efforts.  He stated that he was very impressed with their “can-do” attitude.  “It is fine to do your job and get paid, but if I received one, I received 12 calls asking if we needed help.”   Mrs. Mills agreed that the community groups that she works with appreciate the Service Dept’s help at their events. 

Mr. Regan stated that the weather was good, which helped us, but we need to work on promotion.  “We need to find different ways to get the word out.”

Mr. Hall asked if future events could be noted on the gazebo marquee and stated that he thought we had gotten a good amount of press.  Mr. Dinardo asked about purchasing ads and Mrs. Mills responded that ads are expensive.  She suggested using the Recreation Department’s brochure to promote events.  Mr. Regan stated that once we have a full season program, it might be worth paying for an ad at the beginning of the season.

Mr. Dinardo distributed a flyer showing the 2013 concert series in Chardon and the Committee discussed the types of events being held there (see attached).

Mr. Regan stated that he thought the weekend went very well.  Marra’s Market might have been disappointed with their sales on Saturday night, but Lou said he was good with his kettlecorn sales.  Mr. Regan estimated that 175 people were in and out on Saturday night.  Ms. Wolgamuth stated that at one point while taking photos on Sunday, she counted 198 people.  More people came over as they were leaving the pool and heard the music, taking the count to well over 200. 

Mr. Hall stated that some of the slopes are steep and it is difficult to put chairs on them.  We need to think about that and about electricity for the future.  Mr. Hall stated that, on Saturday night, he went and sat by the Library during the event and verified that the music could not be heard there.  On Sunday, he could hear the music at his home across SOM, but the Committee agreed that the music was very loud on Sunday. 

Mr. Regan suggested that after this year’s four events are over, the Committee begin putting together a report that provides results and recommendations for next steps.  Mr. Hall agreed and suggested that the Committee begin working at the report at the next meeting. 

The Committee discussed whether it might eventually become an advisory board, similar to the Recreation Board and whether the Village might need to hire a seasonal employee for The Grove.  The Committee agreed to talk about these items and a programming budget at the next meeting.

Mr. Regan noted that a recent event put on by Health 360 called the Corporate Crucible utilized The Grove for part of the event.  Mrs. Andrzejczyk stated that she volunteered for that event and described that the participants used the small hill for archery and had to run up the large hill hauling 150 lb. weights.  There were only 7 teams of 4 that participated this year, but they hope to grow the event to 25 teams.  Mr. Regan stated that he thought it was great the facility was being used in this manner.

Mr. Dinardo asked if The Grove would be available for rent in the future.  The Committee agreed to discuss this further and include the possibility in future planning.  Ms. Wolgamuth stated that, if electricity is installed next spring, she hoped to host the annual Appreciation dinner at The Grove next summer.  Mr. Dinardo cautioned that installing electricity does not mean installing lighting.  That is an additional expense.  Mrs. Andrzejczyk suggested that the pathway be lit with bollards.  Mr. Dinardo stated that lighting is expensive and might have to be completed in stages.  Mr. Regan stated that the first two events have demonstrated that it can be done.  He hopes that Council will agree to do more than just electricity next year.  “With power, go lights.”  Mr. Regan stated that we spent the $50,000 allocated to the site for infrastructure, but we need to be up front about the additional costs and include those in the report.

Mr. Dinardo commented that the large willow tree near the stage provided much needed shade during the events and will need to be replaced if it dies.  Mr. Hoehnen mentioned the importance of planting native trees rather than introducing invasive species. 

The Committee discussed whether gazebo concerts should be moved to The Grove as well as whether the number of concerts could be increased.  The Village previously sponsored eight concerts per summer and reduced this number to four several years ago.

Upcoming Events

The Committee reviewed the assignment sheets for the upcoming Yoga and Lincoln events and discussed logistics (see attached).  The Committee agreed to meet at The Grove at 7:15 a.m. on Sept 7.

Mr. Hoehnen stated that we must make every effort to make sure Mayfield Village residents know about these events.  Mrs. Mills stated that the Ice Cream Social is two weeks before the Lincoln event and it could be promoted there.  She also suggested a local radio station that will promote events at no cost.  The Committee discussed other opportunities, including the opening of the Wildcat Center and contacting High School and Middle School’s Social Studies Departments.

Mr. Regan stated that the t-shirts purchased for Committee members were great and that, overall, he though the events were well-organized and successful. 

The Committee agreed to schedule their next meeting in October.  Ms. Wolgamuth will send proposed dates. 

The meeting was adjourned at 8:10 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Diane Wolgamuth,
Director of Administration