Safety & Service - January 4th 2016

Main Conference Room – Mayfield Village Civic Center
Monday, January 4, 2016 – 7:00 p.m.

The Safety and Service Committee met on Monday, January 4, 2016 in the Main Conference Room of the Mayfield Village Civic Center. Mr. Marrie called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.


Present: Mr. Marrie and Mr. Jerome

Also Present: Mr. Williams, Mrs. Mills, Dr. Parker, Mayor Bodnar, Mr. Wynne, Mr. Metzung, Mr. Marrelli, Chief Carcioppolo, Chief Edelman, Mr. Thomas, Mr. Diemert, Mr. Cappello, Ms. Wolgamuth, and Mrs. Betsa

  • Election of Chair

Mr. Marrie stated, I would like to remain as Chair for the Safety and Service Committee. Mr. Jerome agreed. Mr. Marrie will serve as Chair for the Safety and Service Committee for 2016.


  • Euclid Creek Watershed Coordinator Annual Appropriation – 2016
    (Cuyahoga Soil and Water Conservation District)

Mr. Metzung reported, this is an annual agreement we have with the Euclid Creek Watershed. They provide us with most of our public participation and public education materials we use throughout the year for our Phase II stormwater. That’s what we use them for.

Chairman Marrie asked, you have used them for quite a few years, haven’t you?

Mr. Metzung replied, yes. We work with two different watersheds, Euclid Creek being the one we use mostly for educational purposes and Chagrin River much more of a technical group. They provide the ordinances and things of that nature.

Chairman Marrie asked, you are very satisfied?

Mr. Metzung replied, very.

Chairman Marrie asked, Tom, you too?

Mr. Cappello replied, yes.

Chairman Marrie asked, any other questions? There were none. This item will be moved on to Finance.

  • Discussion of road replacement in the Beech Hill, Bonnieview and Glenview areas

Mrs. Mills stated, I requested Mary Beth put this on the agenda. There are two people that are collecting petitions to have the road widened. Dr. Favazzo, 883 Beech Hill and Kerri Setlock, 6818 Bonnieview. I talked with Dr. Favazzo and he has 16 signatures out of the 20 residents that are in favor of widening the street at least a foot on each side mainly because now they recognize the fact that since the waterlines are in place they can see exactly where the road bed is going to be. Some of the people on Beech Hill have trees in their front yard. It’s sad that there isn’t a homeowner’s association in that area. I think if there would have been a homeowner’s association, this would have been a different attitude maybe for the residents and for Council as a whole to make their decision.

Dr. Parker stated, I have tried on numerous times to get them. I have provided them with our articles. Maybe with the turnover of the neighborhood, a lot with families; but for a long time they didn’t want to do something.

Mrs. Mills stated, you need a strong person to go in there, whether it be you as Council and I have part of Seneca in my ward. I don’t know if we should get together and try to form a group.

Dr. Parker stated, we can certainly send out a note to them from both of us.

Mrs. Mills stated, not that they have to have meetings. We only have it once a year. We thrash out a lot of things and get it done and it works well. But when something like this comes up, people don’t know where to go and who to talk to. I would like to see if we could send out letters and have a meeting of the people that live on those three streets that are affected and see if we can’t get a body of people to come in here and discuss what’s happening. Dr. Favazzo was going to bring his petitions in to Council. That’s why I am here. I didn’t want this to be a surprise. If we know what’s happening in our areas, we should share all this information.

Dr. Parker stated, when this whole issue came up, there was a very strong group of people who were against it and were vocal to the matter. People who were for it were the silent majority until the very end when it was already a done deal.

Mrs. Mills stated, Dr. Favazzo thought that the information they were given was not the proper information. That’s his opinion. I am going to let him speak for himself. That’s hearsay for right now. I told him I would call him and talk to him after this meeting tonight and we would see exactly how he should proceed. I said he probably should bring his petitions in at our next Council meeting.

Mayor Bodnar asked, is he coming to the meeting tonight?

Mrs. Mills replied, no.

Chairman Marrie stated, we did poll the area which was a fair way to do it to see what the majority wanted but obviously as Dr. Parker said maybe there’s a shift. There’s got to be something going on when you are gathering petitions.

Mayor Bodnar stated, it seems like there may be a shift and this isn’t something that’s going to go away. Patsy, I am glad we had the opportunity to talk about it a little bit yesterday. Today, Diane and I have talked to Tom Cappello and have asked him to go back to the drawing board and map out two or three different options as to what we can do. We can either widen the road by 1 foot on each side, by 2 foot on each side, maybe extend the berm as an option. He will get back to us by the end of the week with the options, evaluating each one of those options in terms of pros and cons and cost and also he will give us some aerial drawings so we can get more of an idea of how each scenario would impact this.

Mrs. Mills replied, that’s good. That’s what I was hoping for, so we can be prepared.

Mayor Bodnar replied, Tom will get that to us by Friday. I also asked Ron Wynne to look at the cost and give us some options by Friday also, different ways we can handle paying for the cost.

Mrs. Mills stated, I was concerned about that too. How can we change the work order when we have already committed to a dollar amount?

Mayor Bodnar stated, the third thing is to ask Chief Edelman and Chief Carcioppolo to give me some stats on accidents on those roads that could have been occasioned by the width of the road over say the past 5 years or so. The final thing was to ask Joe Diemert if we have to go back out to bid on that or if we can go about it with a change order.

Mr. Diemert replied, you don’t. You can do a change order. More importantly is the options for financing. If he were to get the 4 other property owners, 100%, then it is mandatory we embark on the project. As it is, we can still assess 98% of it back plus the cost of intersections to the property owners. The other would be to partially finance it as a Village. Those are the financial options under assessments.

Chairman Marrie asked, but we would have to do all of the roads, right? Not just one?

Mr. Diemert replied, you can pick.

Mr. Wynne asked, Patsy, is the 16 just one of the three roads?

Mrs. Mills replied, Beech Hill. On Glenview no one wants to go door to door.

Mayor Bodnar stated, we are tentatively thinking about sending out another letter with a ballot in there saying, your votes are due by February 1st and then on January 25th holding a public forum here where people who had concerns could come. Tom is available and will come in to answer any questions and go over the different scenarios.

Chairman Marrie asked, could the letter say we need their vote but make it very strong somehow? What we don’t want is someone coming back again. Say we do Beech Hill which is the most dangerous one and then someone on another road comes back afterwards.

Dr. Parker stated, you really have to do all of them.

Mayor Bodnar stated, I would assume if we did Beech Hill we would do Bonnieview and Glenview also. Do you think the residents on Glenview would have any objection to it?

Mrs. Mills replied, they were afraid they were going to lose so many trees, but now the waterline is completed and it’s only on the north side of the road.

Mr. Cappello stated, the water work was on one side. When we go in and put the swales back and if we widen it, you are going to be affecting the other side more to do the grading.

Mrs. Mills stated, there’s a lot of people on Glenview that have their culverts enclosed. There is no swale. My son is one of them. He doesn’t want to swale that.

Mr. Cappello stated, if you have a culvert that is swaled, it’s going back. No matter what we do, if we don’t widen, we are going to get complaints like we did on Eastgate and Meadowood because those swales have filled in over the years. Half those pipes are buried. Once I go back and reestablish the pipes and actually put a swale back to make it work, you are going to get people screaming because it was never like that before. Well of course it’s because it’s filled in.

Mrs. Mills stated, people really have to have that explained one more time. When we do projects like this we usually have Town Hall meetings where we explain everything to people. We just went along merrily thinking they were going to accept what we had proposed and now all of a sudden it’s not a good thing.

Mayor Bodnar stated, let’s get the information back from Tom, Joe and Ron and send it to Council and take it from there. The 25th is available for a neighborhood meeting. We can send out letters prior to that with a survey that has a February 1st deadline. We have to pull the trigger by the end of February if we are going to make a change.

Mrs. Mills stated, that was my discussion with Dr. Favazzo. We cannot wait on this. If we are going to do it, we have to do it in January. I wanted Council to know exactly what is happening in the area. Thank you for your time.

Chairman Marrie stated, thank you all of you for your comments.


  • CodeRed extension for 1/13/16-1/12/17
    CodeRed Weather Warning extension for 1/13/16-1/12/17
    (ECN Intermediate Holdings, Inc.)

Chief Edelman stated, these items are pretty much housekeeping. These are contracts which come up at the end of the year which we need to renew. At the end of this year, we will need to discuss renewing this contract. It is the last year of a three year contract.

  • LEADS access fee with a DMVPN connection (Treasurer, State of Ohio)

We need this every day. It is a monthly charge, but there is an annual sum.

  • R/M CAD System (TAC Management Co.)

This is also used every day.


Chairman Marrie asked, any other matters? There were none.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:15 p.m. The next Safety and Service Committee meeting is scheduled for Monday, February 1, 2016 at 7:00 p.m. in the Main Conference Room at the Mayfield Village Civic Center.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary E. Betsa, CMC

Clerk of Council