Safety & Service - February 1st 2016

MINUTES OF THE SAFETY AND SERVICE COMMITTEE
Main Conference Room – Mayfield Village Civic Center
Monday, February 1, 2016 – 7:00 p.m.

The Safety and Service Committee met on Monday, February 1, 2016 in the Main Conference Room of the Mayfield Village Civic Center. Chairman Marrie called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.

ROLL CALL:

Present: Mr. Marrie and Mr. Jerome

Also Present: Mr. Williams, Mrs. Mills, Mr. Saponaro (7:20), Mr. Marquardt (7:20), Mayor Bodnar, Mr. Wynne, Mr. Metzung, Lieutenant Girbino, Chief Edelman, Mr. Cappello, Mr. Esborn, Ms. Wolgamuth, and Mrs. Betsa

POLICE DEPARTMENT:

  • New car changeovers and equipment

Chief Edelman reported, these are changeovers from the two old Chargers to the two new Chargers. The third one is going from the old Crown Victoria, so it is going to be a little more pricy. I have to get all new equipment.

Chairman Marrie asked, the third one is not included in the price?

Chief Edelman replied, that’s for all three cars.

Chairman Marrie asked, any questions? There were none.

  • HVAC maintenance contract – 2016

Chief Edelman stated, we were going with Geauga Mechanical up to this point because they were the ones that installed the system. We have not been happy with their service. We have had issues with the HVAC system since we moved in. They have not been able to satisfy our needs. I consulted Service. They had a couple of different vendors come out to look at it. Comfort Control Systems answered our questions that we needed answered. They gave us a quote. We are going to try them for our maintenance issues and see how they work out.

Chairman Marrie asked, how did they compare quote-wise?

Chief Edelman replied, I think they were a little cheaper than Geauga Mechanical was. The issue is whether or not they can satisfy our needs.

Chairman Marrie asked, has Comfort Control Systems done any work for the Village at all?

Mr. Metzung replied, not for me.

Chairman Marrie stated, we will pass this on to Finance.

  • Request for additional manpower

Chief Edelman reported, at the end of last year, you may remember I sent a report to Council. At that time what we wound up doing was converting a part-time position to full-time. I put the second half of that request in abeyance until this year at which time I want to revisit it now to ask Council to increase my manpower by one more full-time officer. What that would do is even out my patrol shifts of my four platoons to one Sergeant, three full-time officers and then I could supplement those platoons with part-time officers. That would allow me more than minimum staffing. It would give me optimal staffing whereby I could more thoroughly saturate the neighborhoods, the business districts, the freeway and the trails with heavier patrols. I could cut down on overtime because I would not be at minimum staffing anymore. I need a plan for the future. That’s part of my job. That’s why I am asking Council to consider this. I brought this up with Civil Service. I told them I was going to bring it up with Council and see if they approved it and we would go from there.

Chairman Marrie asked, you are paying a fair amount of overtime to fill in the spots, wouldn’t that partially offset the full one?

Chief Edelman replied, partially, but we would not see a break-even point for a number of years. That’s not the ultimate goal. There will be some offset. It would not pay for it completely.

Chairman Marrie stated, I don’t have a problem bringing it up to full staff. You were also talking about a dispatcher too?

Chief Edelman replied, that’s different. Our busy time at dispatch is between 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. We have calculated that out according to our CAD records. What we have been trying to do is emergency medical dispatching. That requires two dispatchers to be on duty. With my current dispatch staff, I can do that some of the time during 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. I can’t do it any other time because I just don’t have the staffing for it.

There will always be a dispatcher there when anybody calls. Don’t get me wrong. Someone will always be there to answer the phone. But in order for us to do emergency medical dispatching, we have to have two dispatchers. I just can’t do that consistently with my current staff. What I am asking for initially is if Council would let me fill a position that was vacated two years ago.

I am also in talks with Richmond Heights and Highland Heights to get them to come to our dispatch center to let me dispatch for them. It’s just initial talks at this point. They are asking for some rough numbers as to what we would charge them to do that. It hasn’t gotten anywhere past that at this point. If that were to happen, it would involve an increase in manpower. Gino and I are working on that. As we move along, I will certainly bring you up to speed.

Chairman Marrie asked, do you want to keep these two completely separate?

Chief Edelman replied, the one is a Civil Service position. The dispatcher position is appointed.

Mayor Bodnar asked, so we need a test for the Civil Service position?

Chief Edelman replied, yes.

Mr. Jerome stated, we talked about that last year. We all agreed to get Zachary Reiland in right away and as soon as possible to get another person in there.

Chief Edelman stated, we are at minimum staffing.

Chairman Marrie stated, you want optimum.

Chief Edelman stated, yes.

Mr. Jerome asked, your next step with Civil Service is to get a test put out?

Chief Edelman replied, correct.

Chairman Marrie stated, I am fine with it. Steve, do you have any problem with it?

With regard to dispatch, Mr. Jerome asked, how do you get two people in there from 11-11 all the time?

Chief Edelman replied, if I increase the dispatch staff with one more full-time dispatcher, I can put that person 11A to 11P.

Mr. Jerome asked, what shifts do they run?

Chief Edelman replied, they run a modified 12 hour and 8 day. They can’t go over 40 hours a week. I would have my part-time dispatchers fill in that gap. That would give me the two dispatchers during that time.

Mr. Jerome asked, you are at 4 full-time now?

Chief Edelman replied, yes. I have 6 part-time. Part of the problem with the part-time employees is you can’t work them more than 28 hours a week under the Affordable Care Act and sometimes even if we want them to work more, they can’t for whatever reason. They have full-time jobs They have other issues.

Mr. Jerome asked, are any of the part-time people possibilities for full-time?

Chief Edelman replied, no.

Mr. Jerome asked, so the part-time people we will keep just as it is?

Chief Edelman replied, yes.

Mr. Jerome asked, is there additional training?

Chief Edelman replied, all of my dispatch staff are already trained and certified in EMD. I will continue to do that whether we practice that or not because at some point my goal is to dispatch for other cities and when we do that, we are going to do EMD. We will continue to train them.

Chairman Marrie stated, this will be passed on to Finance.

FIRE DEPARTMENT:

  • 5 year internal investigation (Police Department - $2,100; Fire Department - $3,900); annual sprinkler inspection (Fire Department, Civic Center, Service, Police Department - $175 each) (S.A. Communale)

Lieutenant Girbino reported this is for maintenance. A couple of the buildings require a five-year internal investigation. This is something required by Code. They check the condition of the valve on the system. They also take piping off and look inside for corrosion and make recommendations based on that. It has to meet OSHA requirements. The annual sprinkler inspection for the other departments is predominantly a visual inspection, but it also involves some operational testing as well. They also open up the main drain to check and see if there is an obstruction in the system. These are important tests and inspections that we have to do.

Chairman Marrie asked, I would like you to also explain that to Finance. It was deferred the last time.

Mr. Jerome asked, anyone who has sprinklers in their building has to do this, right?

Lieutenant Girbino replied, yes.

Mr. Jerome asked, this is not something we get involved in, this is someone specifically certified to do this?

Lieutenant Girbino replied, certified by the State Fire Marshall. I am, but I do not work for a licensed company.

Mr. Jerome stated, by using them, they are certified and once we bring them in, it’s on them.

Lieutenant Girbino replied, it is on them. They are licensed.

  • Rescue Task Force Personal Protective Equipment (North American Rescue - $7,199.88)

Lieutenant Girbino stated, this would bring us in line with the overall plan of all of the communities in the Hillcrest and SPAN area. This involves equipment that is mostly ballistic vests, ballistic helmets, different gear. A picture should have been attached to your packets.

Chairman Marrie asked, what is all of this here? Ballistic I would have thought would have been a bullet proof vest.

Lieutenant Girbino replied, what is on there are pouches and compartments to carry EMS gear. The concept is in the early stages of an incident, the initial police officers on the scene are to make entry. Once someone is injured, they clear the area and bring EMS in right away. There’s not going to be the delay there was once the way things were done in the past. That being said, with additional training and this gear, the police will accompany us into that area where those injured parties are located. We can provide aid as soon as we can.

Chief Edelman added, the school of thought is that in an active threat, the police will go in and neutralize the threat immediately, but if there are injured people, we will not render first aid, we will bypass them and go after the threat. Once that happens, then the rescue task force will go in consisting of two paramedics and two police officers. Our job there is to protect the paramedics while they treat the injured. That’s what this is all about.

Mr. Jerome asked, doesn’t SPAN have EMS trained as part of that?

Lieutenant Girbino replied, they did at one time.

Chief Edelman replied, that’s the SWAT.

Lieutenant Girbino stated, that’s different. We will all be trained on this. We won’t quite have the training for tactical medics. That’s completely different.

Mr. Jerome asked, the other communities are going to purchase this equipment also?

Lieutenant Girbino replied, yes. We applied for a grant but were denied. We were hoping to get some money from the Federal government.

Mr. Jerome asked, can we apply for the grant again?

Lieutenant Girbino replied, those grants come in specific periods. We need to purchase this so we can get on the same page with all the other departments. I think Highland Heights already purchased their gear.

Chairman Marrie asked, is there any chance you can go after the grant afterwards even though you purchased it already?

Lieutenant Girbino replied, no, I don’t believe you can apply for the grant after you purchase it.

Mr. Jerome asked, why do we need 6?

Lieutenant Girbino replied, we need to equip both squads. Each squad can carry three people.

Chairman Marrie stated, we will pass this on to Finance.

SERVICE DEPARTMENT:

  • Bid Results: Sale of 2003 Ford Van

Mr. Metzung reported, the 2003 Ford Van sold for $1,295.00.

  • 2016 Road Program

Mr. Metzung stated, 15 years ago we overlaid our first concrete street. We are now finally going back to this street for the first time.

Mr. Cappello reported, the 2016 Road Program is out to bid. We will be opening them on February 19th and will hopefully have a recommendation for Council on the 22nd. The project this year is approximately $900,000. We will be doing Hickory Hill Drive, Woodbine, Oakton and Blueberry Circle. As part of this project, we are also doing North Commons Boulevard. We are going to widen the eastern section to accommodate parking. We are going to provide a paved road access drive in the parking area for events. Right now it is gravel. We are going to remove a portion of the median on SOM Center by Hickory Hill and the Library. We will be grinding and resurfacing the salt storage annex as we now call it which is the old ODOT garage at 734 SOM. We will also be doing trail replacement from the pool entrance to the new softball field restroom. It got torn up during trail construction along with the construction of the softball restrooms.

Chairman Marrie asked, everything is in the $900,000?

Mr. Cappello replied, yes. We will also be doing SOM Center curb replacement. Wilson Mills has a couple slats where repair work will be done.

Mr. Jerome asked about the overlay. I wasn’t real happy with how Kenwood turned out with some of the curbs now being lower than the road.

Mr. Cappello stated, when we designed Hickory Hill back in 2000, we actually ground the gutters. You only have 4 inches. If you do any overlay, by grinding the gutter, and what we do now is grind the pavement. It has improved from the past. We have done it so we get to at least 2 ½ inches. In some spots it doesn’t happen.

Mr. Jerome stated, Hickory Hill neighborhood looks fine. For whatever reason, Kenwood doesn’t. It seems some of the curbs should have been replaced and they were not. It’s inconsistent.

Mr. Cappello stated, we do slab replacement. In that case, the curb does not go back exactly where it was before. In general, you tend to get some undulation. The main thing is your driving surface. It’s better than going over the roads before. In the past, they did not grind the road. They would just resurface it. You would still get reflective cracking. It never worked very well. It wasn’t a good fit. When we did this, we ground the gutter, we put an intermediate layer there. When I looked at that road the next year, you couldn’t find a crack. It was amazing. That system worked and it seems it is working fairly good. We use a different fabric on these other roads. We have to make sure we do maintenance. But the fact we got 15 years on this, most people said the overlays would get less than 10.

Mr. Jerome stated, I don’t want to overlook areas which need curb replacement.

Mr. Cappello replied, we don’t. We have that in the job. Doug and I walked the road. Based on the cracking pattern, we will replace a decent amount. It’s in the contract.

Chairman Marrie stated, everyone I talked to in Kenwood liked it lower because it didn’t hit the driveway and bounce up in the air. I think it was a good job. Thank you.

ENGINEER:

  • Traffic Engineering Services - SOM Center and Sandalwood Drive Pedestrian Crosswalk (TMS Engineers, Inc. - $7,370).

Mr. Cappello reported, this came up at the request of residents when the trail came in. Gino even talked about getting a crosswalk across from Sandalwood to the Fire Station to get to the trail. TMS Engineers, Mike Schweickart did a study and found that it was doable. This also works in with the Community Room.and the school. There will be a place for the kids to cross. Where now it is a fire signal that only works when there is a call, this would be a traffic signal.

Mr. Saponaro asked, only when someone activates it?

Mr. Cappello replied, it’s going to be on a timing system. If someone pushes a button, it will activate quicker. I am not sure how this will tie in with traffic coming off of Sandalwood. You have to be careful. You want that flow on SOM to keep moving.

Mr. Jerome stated, when they did the study, they were going to try to time it.

Chairman Marrie stated, that was the discussion. People were concerned about the traffic on SOM. We needed this for the people crossing. What was discussed was that the engineer would take this all in consideration when they did this.

Mr. Cappello stated, the price here is for $7,370 for TMS to prepare plans. Once I receive the plans and specifications, I will prepare the bid document and put it out to bid. He estimates the cost of construction to be about $35,000. That might be something to note during the Finance meeting. Conversion of the fire signal will be approximately $30,000-35,000 to construct. Once he gets a detailed design, that might switch here and there.

Mr. Jerome asked, it will probably need a new control box and new lighting?

Mr. Cappello replied, yes. There’s signals. The poles are there.

Chairman Marrie stated, we will pass this on to Finance.

ANY OTHER MATTERS:

Chairman Marrie asked, are there any other matters? There were none.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:30 p.m. The next Safety and Service Committee meeting is scheduled for Monday, March 7, 2016 at 7:00 p.m. in the Main Conference Room at the Mayfield Village Civic Center.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary E. Betsa, CMC

Clerk of Council