Safety & Service - April 7th 2014

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE
SAFETY & SERVICE COMMITTEE
Monday, April 7, 2014 at 7:15 p.m.
Main Conference Room - Mayfield Village Civic Center

The Safety and Service Committee met on Monday, April 7, 2014 in the Main Conference Room at the Mayfield Village Civic Center.  Mr. Marrie called the meeting to order at 7:15 p.m.

(Print friendly/PDF document)

Present: Mr. Marrie and Mr. Jerome

Also Present: Chief Edelman, Chief Carcioppolo, Mr. Metzung, Mr. Dinardo, Ms. Wolgamuth, Mr. Thomas, Mr. Marrelli, Mr. Wynne, Ms. Calta, Mr. Esborn (7:35), Mr. Marquardt (7:30), and Mrs. Betsa

FIRE DEPARTMENT:

Chest Compression System

Chief Carcioppolo reported, these came out between 5-10 years ago.  This is the newest generation.  It is the most widely used version of it in the area.  It’s a machine that provides chest compressions during a full arrest for us.

Mr. Marrie asked, instead of you or I or someone doing it?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, yes. The average human can’t provide good quality chest compressions for longer than 2 minutes without becoming fatigued. That lowers your oxygen level within your bloodstream because you are not pumping that blood to all of the vital organs adequately. This machine does that for you.  That’s why the American Heart Association changed their CPR guidelines a few years ago. Every two minutes you rotate chest compressions between the different people on the team. By putting this on, you take away that need for a human to provide those chest compressions.  It’s a perfect chest compression every time.  Also, we could put it on a patient if they are on a second floor or basement.  It will provide chest compressions while we are carrying them down the stairs. Right now, you are not getting chest compressions when you are getting carried down the stairs.  The more chest compressions you do, the better outcome you will have with survivability.

Ms. Calta asked, so Chief it’s for the squad? It’s not something you have here?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, it would go on the ambulance.   It is not like an AED.  There are two of them, one for each ambulance.  You always have that capability.  It frees up the ambulance attendant so that they can do other procedures such as advanced airway and IV and medications.  It was budgeted for $30,000.  They are coming in at $28,000.

Mr. Marrie asked, for both of them?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, yes. With a service contract for a year. 

Mr. Marrie stated, I have no questions. I just didn’t know we didn’t have something like this.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, we do not have anything like this. They came out and they were the first generation was little bit. They had some that hooked up to our SCBA bottles and they are a little more archaic. These are more advanced and battery operated.

Mr. Jerome stated, I read up a little bit on it. Technology is a wonderful thing.

Mr. Marrie stated, we will move this on to Finance.

Repair and update locks at Fire Station

Chief Carcioppolo stated, we have some lock issues on the Fire station doors.

Mr. Marrie asked, has it been that way for a while and it just never came to light?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, not as bad as it is now. When the people came to give me these quotes, I said we needed to do our locks for a while. I was waiting for the budget to be approved this year to push it through. Since the time they have come out and given these quotes, they have gotten worse.  It’s a pressing issue that needs to be addressed. That’s why it is on the Special Meeting agenda for this evening.

SERVICE DEPARTMENT:

Street sign brackets and post sleeves

Mr. Metzung reported, as we did last year on the south side of the Village, we will need our new signage on the north side.

Mr. Marrie asked, this is the balance of the Village?

Mr. Metzung replied, yes.

Mr. Marrie asked, has everyone seen the signs.  They are cool.

Roof repair at salt dome at former ODOT property

Mr. Metzung would like to go out to bid to repair the roof at the salt dome.

Mr. Marrie asked, did we know it was going to need a roof going in?

Mr. Metzung replied, yes.  It is in pretty bad shape.  It will need to be reshingled.  It will be around $60,000.

Removal of old pole barn at former ODOT property

Mr. Jerome asked, obviously this is old and needs to come down. It is probably not structurally sound.  It’s not something you can take down yourself?

Mr. Metzung replied, no.  You still would need an excavator to knock it over.  It’s a bigger job than we want to get into.

Purchase of Ford F 450 Cab and Chassis from Valley Ford Truck (Ohio Cooperative Purchasing Program)

Mr. Metzung reported, this is a purchase of a cab and chassis for the one-ton dump.  This will be the first.

Mr. Marrie asked, is this a replacement?

Mr. Metzung replied, yes.

Mr. Marrie asked, was this in the budget?

Mr. Metzung replied, yes. This is the first half of it. We will have to put the dump bed and hydraulics on it after.

Mr. Marrie asked, the whole amount is in the budget?

Mr. Metzung replied, yes.

Mr. Jerome asked, which one is it replacing?

Mr. Metzung replied, another one-ton dump truck.  It’s a mid-90’s.

Repair of storm sewer outlet located at the rear of 701 Beta Drive

Mr. Marrie went down to look at it.  Is this the one that backs into or butts up against our new salt shed?

Mr. Metzung replied, no.  It’s on the opposite side.  If you stood in our old salt shed, you can see it across the ravine.

Mr. Marrie stated, I went into 701.

Mr. Metzung stated, right. It would have been right below you.

Mr. Marrie stated, you could see the salt shed.

Mr. Metzung stated, yes.

Ms. Calta added, it’s on the same side as 701.

Mr. Metzung stated, as you then saw, the pipe has a gap in it. The headwall is beginning to lean towards the creek and is going to fall in. As we get to the area where we need to place the bridge foundation, we can’t have a failing storm sewer next to it.

Mr. Marrie asked, can we go with the second option?

Mr. Metzung replied, we certainly can.

Mr. Marrie stated, it’s a heck of a difference in price. 

Mr. Metzung stated, the second option will get us to where we need to be which is to get the water away from the foundation and down over the hill.

Ms. Calta updated the Committee on a recent conversation I had at 4:30 this evening. I have been working with Doug and Tom and the property owner looking at the whole situation and the options.  There has been a lot of discussion and thought that has gone into this option. It was important the property owner knew what was going on and they were involved in it and feeling comfortable with what is being done on their property.  It was outside the scope of what the trail easement is.  It wasn’t something contemplated.  It was an unforeseen condition. I went out there and tread lightly. It’s a pretty steep slope.  I hope it’s not actually caving in with all of this rain.  It’s a delicate area.  I think as the situation progressed over the last week and it was excavated further and further, the condition started to crumble up the headwall and concrete.  Everything just got into worse condition.

The property owner has approved Plan B.  He is in full agreement with it.  He has had his people look at it.  He is very comfortable with it.  The improvement was put in back in the early 70’s, maybe even late 60’s. When that whole slope was intact, we could have had an issue in two weeks, two months, two years, it’s hard to say. But with it all intact, it wasn’t something anybody contemplated.  You strip away that layer and then keep going further.  They realize this is also an improvement to their property. They have offered to pay 50% of the proposal which I think is $14,500, slightly under $15,000. They are willing to make a commitment to pay 50% of it.  He signed off on it.  I have the signed proposal. 

Mr. Marrie asked, who is the owner of that property?

Ms. Calta replied, it’s a Geis Property. The Property Manager is Joe Perrow. It’s a good resolution for everyone involved.  Having them recognize that this would be an improvement to their property, they want to contribute 50%.

Mr. Marrie stated, obviously, it’s on the Special Meeting agenda tonight. It should be because otherwise the whole thing will come down.

Ms. Calta replied, right.  He recognizes that because it’s open and needs to be fixed.

Mr. Jerome feels more comfortable with the second option.

Mr. Metzung stated, just so I can explain why we did the first option. The sewer would have gone into a manhole that would have dropped it to the floor of the creek bed and then let it out. We were behind Meadowood. We were looking for that sewer project. I happened to see this.  Another outfall you can see over the years have been very well constructed with a lot of brick and stone and concrete.  Mr. Metzung showed a photograph.  I know it’s hard to see, but if you can see where the water goes, it has found its way back behind all of the stone and everything and comes out at the bottom.  We will be putting this pipe back up on a ledge.  We will have erosion in control under that. Our original proposal said this is the best way to fix it.  This is a repair, basically putting back what they had which is not the greatest, but it will work.  Just so you know that’s why one proposal was one thing and one proposal is another.

Ms. Calta stated this wasn’t something constructed under a design approved five years ago.  Tom and Doug said very clearly, the way they put that headwall in without steel in it and the fact that they put so much concrete behind the headwall which forces the pressure on to the headwall, it’s just not something that would be designed like that in today’s day and age.

Mr. Jerome stated, we definitely want to do something and not let it go.

Mr. Marrie stated, the owner is willing to pay half, but on the second option?

Ms. Calta replied, correct.

2014-2015 Salt Participation Agreement

Mr. Metzung stated, this came up rather quickly this year.  The salt contract this year was abysmal. They had problems with the salt deliveries.  Morton was not good in their deliveries. The State of Ohio had a lot of complaints and issues with that.  This year, they broke out their salt bids into two different bids. They are going to do a summer fill. They did this many years ago.  They are also going to do a winter fill up.  I am looking to get into both of them since we have the new dome and take the opportunity to fill up with the summer which I hope we will have a lower number and we will get 1500 tons. We typically do 2500 a year. We will get 1500 in the summer and we will order another 1200 for the wintertime because they continue to tighten up the window for what you can go over and under.  It used to be no limit. I could order 2500 ton.  If I used 500 ton, God bless me.  If I use 3,000 tons, God bless me. There was no limit. Then they went to and 120/80. Now it’s 90/110.  You would get at least 80%, no more than 120.  Now they tightened it up again. The flexibility we will have with the new dome, having that much more room I don’t see as a problem. I don’t want to try to get everything in the summer and have nothing to fall back on.  That’s why we are looking to do it that way.  I don’t know how we would fit a full 2500 in the dome right now anyway.  This needs to be passed this evening as it has to be in the great State of Ohio’s hands tomorrow morning.

Mr. Marrie stated, it’s on the Special Meeting agenda. We will pass it on to Finance.

ADMINISTRATION

Community Room Update

Ms. Wolgamuth reported, John and I met with some gentlemen from Panzica. They helped us put together a cost study for the Community Room. This is based on the conceptual drawings that we distributed before from Mr. Van Dyke. I just wanted to point out a couple things.  There’s a lot of contingency money built in here. Each of the categories has a design contingency of 10% and 10% for project supervision. They also put in miscellaneous owner expenses and owner contingencies. Those two items total $134,000. I specifically asked them, what are those things because that’s a big number?  The answer I got was it was a 10% owner contingency to cover unforeseen circumstances in any owner-initiated changes.  Then they did a 12.5% miscellaneous owner expense line intended to cover typical owner expenses like bid solicitation costs, legal fees, testing and inspection, hazardous material survey, geotechnical fees, utility charges, builder’s risk insurance, moving relocation costs, voice data cabling, audiovisual IT, furnishings and appliances. A lot of those things are not things we necessarily are going to have, but appliances are something we talked about replacing all the appliances in the kitchen. These numbers would at least include that.  I think we have more contingency than we need.

Mr. Marrie asked, is the total, if you go with it the way it is, $731,000?

Mr. Marrelli replied, yes.  When I saw the numbers initially and realized some of the issues we were probably going to run into with the attic and trying to put beams in there where there’s no beams now and taking the masonry column out of the middle.  I am a little bit worried about having structural issues up in the attic that we are going to have to address and we are going to need some funds behind.  I can’t run into a structural issue and then tell them wait until I go to Council and get another $10,000 to fix something. There’s a lot of protection built in to this.

Mr. Marrie asked, $134,000?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, just those two line items.  They also put in architectural and engineering fees at $54,000. I am not sure we would spend that much.

Mr. Marrelli stated, no. The way this should work is this number is a feeler number. This number sounds okay to everybody and we should proceed, then we can actually have drawings done and specifications done and this number would have funding built in to pay for that, the architect and engineer.

Mr. Marrie asked, so you won’t be coming back later for $30,000-50,000?

Mr. Marrelli replied, I don’t want to do that. That’s correct.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, alternatively, we have talked about doing a design build type process where we go, okay, now that we have these numbers, do we put it out for a design build and say, what can you do for us for $650,000 and we develop the documents?  In here is really all of the things on the wish list after the survey. We tried to incorporate it all in.

Mr. Marrie asked, into the renovation?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, yes.

Mr. Marrie asked, will you now go out for bid on the design?

Mr. Marrelli replied, that’s the question. If we do that, we could go out for proposals from architects to draw it up and put specifications together and then put a bid notice in the paper and go through all of that. That’s fine.

Mr. Marrie asked, on a bid to build type of thing we did for the new police station, don’t they pay for all the drawings?  You say, this is what we have to work with.  Is that what we did on the police station?

Mr. Marrelli replied, that was a design build where we gave them a number and said, here’s the number and the concept, what can you do?

Mr. Marrie stated, we have time, I think.  Now that we have some of these numbers, why wouldn’t we take a number and throw it out for design build and see what we get?

Mr. Marrelli stated, we could try that. 

Mr. Marrie stted, you have nothing to lose.

Mr. Marrelli agreed.  It’s just timing.  The drawback to that is we have taken 2015 as the year this building is going to be shut down. We don’t have a lot of time to get a bunch of people draw stuff and then play around with it.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, or we push the timeline. We stopped renting it as of January.

Mr. Marrie replied, I know.  This is April 2014. We are off the books until December 2015.  I don’t see any reason why we couldn’t take a month to throw it out to people like Panzica or Geis or whoever else.

Ms. Wolgamuth asked, Diane, is there a downside to doing that?  If we do that, do we have to choose one and go with it?

Ms. Calta replied, no.  With the police station it went the reverse.  It went out to bid. The lesson learned from there was it makes more sense to do it the other way. If you find that is not getting you what you want, you can certainly go out to formal bid.  You just want to look at the calendar and work backwards so you give yourself enough time. I don’t know what the anticipated construction time is. 

Mr. Marrelli replied, all of 2015 we will have.

Ms. Calta asked, is it projected to take 12 months?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, no.

Mr. Marquardt asked, what is the cost per square foot?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, it’s 5800 square feet. They gave us a cost if we were going to demo the current building and raze and rebuild, they estimated $250 a square foot. That times 5800 plus $25,000 for the demo takes us to just about $1.5 million.

Mr. Dinardo stated, professionally, from my experience, when you do a design build and it’s a remodel, it doesn’t work.  It works when it’s brand new like the police station or our little restroom facilities. When you have an existing building you are going to run in to all of those issues. Somebody has to work them out. Going down this path like John has presented, you work out all of those questions and things that come up upfront because of the situation of the existing building and the existing condition.

Mr. Metzung replied, I suspect that’s what Panzica did. He put together his design build cost.

Mr. Dinardo stated, if you go out to bid to design build to various contractors, they are going to have a slew of questions. They are going to throw some godly number out there just to cover themselves.  You are not going to get an efficient quote.

Mr. Marrie asked, what would stop us from throwing this out as a design build from scratch? Is it a huge cost difference?

Mr. Dinardo replied, if you set some parameters.  We did set some parameters with the police station and restrooms and other things we have done. If we set parameters, we can look at it.

Mr. Marrie asked, how much would it cost to knock it down?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, $25,000 to knock it down.  He estimated a rebuild at $250 a square foot. 

Mr. Marrie asked, before we get the design/build numbers from the construction companies, we would be looking at putting out $25,000 if nothing else?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, to demo.

Mr. Marrie stated this doesn’t have to be done tonight. Finance should have their say in this.  I think it wouldn’t hurt us and it would not cost us anything and we may learn a whole bunch by just taking it out and design build from scratch.  I agree with you.  If they start getting in here, they will have more questions than we can answer.

Mr. Marrelli stated, we have a couple projects going on.  They are not huge projects but the time involved with meeting with contractors, answering questions, doing the research, getting prices, when you get into a situation like this, it’s going to be what color do you want the shingles, is it a 30 year, is it a 20 year, are you going to do ice guard? It just goes on and on and on. Who’s got the time to be handling that with kid gloves?  We don’t have a project supervisor that is going to be earmarked for that job.  There’s no time for that.

Mr. Marrie stated, not being sarcastic John, you couldn’t do that in 9 months? 

Mr. Marrelli stated, that’s during the design phases. That’s with multiple contractors.  You have to pick stuff out.

Mr. Marrie stated, John, I understand that.

Mr. Marrelli stated, okay, so when you do a design bid then you get an architect and he specs everything out and he asks those questions and it is put in the drawings.  You put the drawings on the market and get your best price.  You write the specs up beforehand.

Mr. Marrie asked, on the police station, how long did that take?

Mr. Dinardo stated, it took a lot of time.

Ms. Calta stated, the advantage on the police station is you did it in reverse. You went out to bid twice and then you had all of that information to use to do the design build. That’s not usually how you do it.  It took a longer period of time, but you had a lot of information.

Mr. Marrelli stated, because we developed all that information.

Ms. Calta stated, there’s advantages to look at it.

Mr. Marrie doesn’t want to beat it to death and for sake of time because of finance and council. We will take this in and move it to finance and it will be kicked around in finance.  I wasn’t doubting your word at all John.

Mr. Marrelli stated, no, but I think on a remodel project, it’s easier if you just tell them.

Mr. Marrie thought about remodeling right from the beginning anyway. I don’t have an argument with you.  I just threw the other one out for the sake of learning something.

Illuminated Message Board

Mr. Thomas stated, this came up at an Activities Committee meeting. The Committee is concerned about safety, especially during the Fourth of July celebration when people are sitting on the curb in front of the Yours Truly area on SOM Center Road and watching the fireworks and a car comes down and the driver is looking at the fireworks and his car swerves into the curb and hits someone. The concern was from a safety standpoint that we need to look at some options to help us.  Rich’s staff, Paul, had some suggestions in regards to blockades to slow traffic down.

Mr. Jerome stated, we talked about this after Danielle got more information from Service and Police.  This could be used for other events as well. I had a couple contacts. I looked into it because Danielle said it would cost $300-400 to rent one of those.  I talked with friends who said, you can buy one for $10,000.  This is something to think about for long term if we want to use it more than once. It came back that it looks like you can rent one of these daily for $100 compared to buying one for $16,000.

Mr. Thomas stated, that would be my recommendation.

Chief Edelman stted, the message boards would probably alert people. The downside is that if you are worried about someone looking up at the fireworks, they are not going to see the message board anyway. My suggestion is to rent some temporary barricades. They look like bike racks. They are 8-10 feet long.

BUILDING DEPARTMENT:

Electrical System for The Grove Ampitheatre

Mr. Marrelli reported, we need to authorize CEI to put three transformers on a pole on SOM so when we get the electrical system built back to their poles ready to come in.  We are going out to bid for the main service and some general use lighting receptacles.  The Illuminating Company has a 10-12 week lead time. They want money now. They won’t do anything unless they have the money.

Mr. Marrie stated, the summer will be gone.

Mr. Dinardo stated, they will work with us.  As long as we give them payment.

Mr. Marrelli stated, it will be the end of June in best conditions which is when things are starting to heat up over there.

Mr. Marquardt asked, this is part of the $75,000 budgeted?

Mr. Marrelli replied, yes.

Mr. Jerome stated, for the sake of time, we can talk about it a little more at Council?  There were a couple of Council people with questions.

FINANCE DEPARTMENT:

Sanitary Sewer Engineer Fee

Mr. Wynne stated, this is on here because Mr. Jerome wanted it on here.  I am not sure what he is looking for.  Basically it’s the sanitary sewer fee.  We don’t have our own department to take care of our sewers. We partner with the County. They maintain and do all of the repair work for our sewers as needed. Based on historical information they have as far as what we have spent over the years in the past, the current rate is $4.00 per foot of frontage to all properties, residential and commercial that have a sanitary sewer line running in front to their property.

Mr. Marrie asked, this is what you have been working with all along?

Mr. Wynne replied, yes. We have $800-900,000.  It’s somewhat like a rainy day fund for any kind of major sewer breaks that take place in the Village.  The $4.00 per foot annually goes towards debt payments from the project that we are putting in already and including normal upkeep and maintenance of our lines.

Street Light Tax

Mr. Wynne reported, this tax is .40 per mill.  If you take a property with a market value of $100,000, the taxable value is 35% of that, or $35,000. Then it’s .40 per thousand on the $35,000.  It is assessed on the property taxes.  It’s a two year assessment, so every couple years it is up for renewal by Council as to whether they want to even more forward with it or not. Right now it is used to pay for our street lighting. The cost of the electricity of street lighting as well as any additional pole or thing like that we need to put up in the Village.

ANY OTHER MATTERS

Mr. Marrie asked, any other matters?

There were none.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m.  The next Safety and Service meeting is scheduled for Monday, April 7, 2014 in the Main Conference Room of the Mayfield Village Civic Center.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary E. Betsa, Clerk of Council