Finance Caucus - March 7th 2016

Main Conference Room – Mayfield Village Civic Center
Monday, March 7, 2016 - 7:00 p.m.

The Finance Committee met on Monday, March 7, 2016 in the Main Conference Room of the Mayfield Village Civic Center. Chairman Saponaro called the meeting to order at 7:25 p.m.


Present: Mr. Marquardt, Dr. Parker, Mr. Saponaro

Also Present: Mr. Williams, Mrs. Mills, Mr. Jerome, Mr. Marrie, Mayor Bodnar, Mr. Wynne, Mr. Metzung, Chief Carcioppolo, Chief Edelman, Mr. Cappello, Mr. Thomas, Mr. Guidetti, Ms. Wolgamuth, and Mrs. Betsa


  • Permeable Pavers at The Grove Ampitheatre (The R.J. Platten Contracting Company – not to exceed $21,725)

Ms. Wolgamuth stated I provided a memo on this. Mr. Cappello helped prepare the designs and specifications. The additional paver area is adjacent to the current circle that is the stage. The low quote is R.J. Platten at $19,725. Tom recommends that we do a $2,000 contingency for unforeseen conditions when they are digging there.

Chairman Saponaro asked, we would do the $2,000 for any of them?

Mr. Cappello replied, yes.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, we would like this installed before the season.

Chairman Saponaro asked, are there any questions? There were none.

  • Marketing and promotion for 2016 Grove season (Rosenberg Advertising - $8,000)

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, last year we hired Rosenberg to do the marketing and promotion. I think everyone was pretty happy with them. We asked them to requote this year. They provided the same quote. They will do a little bit of additional work. Now that they know us and know what we are expecting and how to set up the schedule, they will do a dedicated Facebook page and they will do some research with regard to on-line calendars where you can post events. We were not included in many of those last year. They will research the ones they think would serve us the best and do that additional work.

Chairman Saponaro asked, any questions on this? There were none.

  • Community Room Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment Package (Bid opening March 16, 2016)

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, as we discussed, this is out to bid. The bid opening is on March 16th. We will have the results and hopefully a recommendation at the Regular Meeting.

  • Planning
    • OneCommunity Annual Subscription Fee ($15,000.00)
    • OneCommunity Annual Fiber Ring Maintenance Fee ($7,000.00)

Mr. Esborn stated, this is for our internet and the maintenance of our fiber ring. This is the same amount we paid the last 6 years. Initially this year because we are currently working on a new agreement with Everstream, the plan was to hold off on these until after we have the new agreement. They called last month to check on the invoices. At that point we thought let’s just go ahead and pay the invoices like we have each year and then keep working on the agreement and we will start next year with the payments to Everstream instead of OneCommunity.

Chairman Saponaro asked, we are not using Everstream?

Mr. Esborn replied, they are the same thing. These invoices came through as OneCommunity as they have in years past. We will pay these now just like we have each year and then we are working on a new agreement with Everstream to start next year.

Chairman Saponaro asked, so we are saying this is the last year of the agreement?

Mr. Esborn replied, the agreement expired the end of 2014. Last year we started to enter into an agreement from OneCommunity to Everstream. The Law Department is reviewing the agreement. Then they will invoice us as Everstream and we will make the payment to Everstream.

Chairman Saponaro asked, so right now we are at a yearly contract with them.

Mr. Guidetti replied, the agreement requires a pretty significant overhaul. It’s a general agreement they use for everyone. It does not fit with the services they provide to the Village. We are making changes to it.

Chairman Saponaro asked, does anyone have any questions on this? There were none.


  • Updating Codified Ordinances to 1-2016 (Walter Drane – not to exceed $5,150).

Mrs. Betsa replied, this is for updating the Codified Ordinances for all legislation passed in 2015. The price is a little higher because of the new Chapter 176, the municipal income tax.

Chairman Saponaro asked, any questions on this? There were none.


  • SOM Center Road and Sandalwood Drive Pedestrian Crosswalk Traffic Signal Conversion Plans (TMS Engineers, Inc. - $7,370).

Mr. Cappello referred to the proposal from TMS Engineers to do the engineering and prepare the plans to convert the signal to an active functioning green, yellow, red signal and put a crosswalk from Sandalwood to the other side of SOM by the Fire Station.

Chairman Saponaro asked, is this something we looked at before from TMS?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, it’s the same proposal. We just pulled it and are now putting it back on.

Chairman Saponaro asked, are there any questions? For clarification, one of the issues we talked about before was if Chief Edelman agreed with it.

Chief Edelman stated, I reported at Safety and Service that we discussed this with the traffic engineer. We are good.

Chairman Saponaro asked, any questions? There were none.


  • Employee AD&D & Life Insurance (MetLife)

Mr. Wynne reported, our renewal with MetLife for AD&D and Life Insurance for the full-time employees is up on April 1st. They have agreed to renew for another year at the same price we have been paying. There will be no increase in cost for this year.

  • Amended Official Certificate of Estimated Resources – 2016

Mr. Wynne reported, this is the legislation we sent to the County the same time we passed the expenditures budget of what our estimated revenue is going to be by fund in addition to property taxes. There is an attachment that shows by fund what those revenue figures are.

  • Budget 2016

Mr. Wynne reported, from the meetings we had with Mr. Saponaro and the department heads, several items came up regarding some capital projects that we went back and looked at and some of the changes we will be making in the budget when you get the final copy of it:

We questioned whether we will move forward with the SOM/Sandalwood conversion and now we are. We budgeted $51,000 for that. There was also discussion because a resident who lives on SOM who is blind, we looked at audible signals. We talked to TMS about the cost of doing audible signals. It is roughly around $100,000 to do three intersections. We are looking to do SOM and Sandalwood, SOM and Wilson Mills and SOM and Seneca. We are proposing increasing that traffic light conversion budget from $51,000 to $150,000 to accommodate audible signals at those three intersections.

With regard to signage – the initial budget was for $60,000. We were planning on putting two masonry wall signs at the entrance of the Civic Center, the new drive, with no signage across the street. We have changed plans for that. We are looking at increasing the budget from $60,000-80,000 and are looking at putting two masonry signs with a digital piece to it. This is in the preliminary stages, but we budgeted $40,000 for each sign. One is going to be over here perpendicular to Wilson Mills on the Civic Center side and then the other one would replace the old sign that is where the current Community Room sign is.

Lighting at the Civic Center – this was not in the initial budget. We have added $20,000 to put additional light poles in the parking lot primarily towards the west end of the lot where it is kind of dark.

The tennis courts were on there for $100,000. They are coming out. We are looking at applying for funding. We will wait to see what the results of the funding application is before we decide to move forward with the intergenerational park. We had budgeted $65,000 to increase the size of the gravel lot for parking by the baseball fields. We are going to put that money to better use in future years. Once the intergenerational park is finalized, the layout and the funding and put those funds toward better application of a nicer parking lot once it is all done.

Chairman Saponaro asked, does anyone have any questions?

Mr. Jerome asked, with regard to the signage, what are the thoughts with the digital boards?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, we hope to have some renderings to share pretty quickly.

Mr. Jerome stated, if we are going to go to digital boards, make sure they are the best boards they have out there. Highest quality.

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, let’s come back with the pricing.

Mr. Jerome stated, there are some out there that are tacky.

Dr. Parker agreed. There are some that are so bad. The color looks bad. Highland Heights’ board with the orangy color looks terrible.

Mr. Jerome agreed. And it’s too small and you can’t read it.

Mr. Metzung asked, how about Mayfield Heights’ new signage?

Mayor Bodnar replied, it’s pretty good. That one is more professional.

Mr. Jerome stated, the only downsize with the small ones are you can’t put much on them.

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, we will have them give us the range of sizes and prices.

Chairman Saponaro asked, does anyone else have any questions regarding these expenditures that were increased?

Mr. Marquardt stated, I would like to see something physically to take a look at with the signage.

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, they suggested they can bring one over on a pick-up truck and put it close to the location it would be and they could leave it there for a couple of days so as you drive by you will be able to see the quality of the sign. We could definitely take advantage of that.

Chairman Saponaro asked, does anyone have any objections to the budgetary items that have been increased or have any questions or concerns? There were none. As the process continues on, we will get more information on each of those as we normally do with all of our projects.


  • Fire Station Exhaust

Chief Carcioppolo stated, I will be going out to bid for this.

Chairman Saponaro asked, what do you think the price might be?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, it’s going to be less than what is budgeted. There’s $90,000 budgeted for it. It should be around the $60,000’s.

Chairman Saponaro asked, any questions? There were none.


  • Summer Camp employee compensation

Mr. Thomas stated, this is our annual summer camp ordinance and Teen Adventure Camp we put together. The Teen Adventure Camp is through a collaborative effort with Mayfield Heights. We are now no longer offering Sports N More Camp, but are offering Mayfield Village Summer Camp. We are moving it out of Wildcat Sport and Fitness because that’s turned into more of a fitness center and our varsity sports camps are there. We are moving it under our new picnic shelter next to our bathrooms. That is going to be an 8 week program. It was a 5 week program for the last 20 years. Nothing has really changed on that.

Chairman Saponaro asked, are the salary ranges the same?

Mr. Thomas replied, yes. The Director is lower.

Chairman Saponaro asked, does anyone have any questions on this? There were none.

  • Parkview Recreation Complex employee compensation

Mr. Thomas stated, this is the pool. We have added the individual that helps out at The Grove. We have that range between $8.10 and $14.00. That’s why we are not calling it Parkview Pool. We have added the part-time seasonal worker at The Grove on the bottom. Nothing has changed. There is no increase in minimum wage for this year.

Mr. Jerome asked, the individual working at The Grove is in the budget for The Grove?

Mr. Thomas replied, yes.

  • Recommendation for Sodium Hypo Chlorite and Muriatic Acid (Sal Chemical – not to exceed $8,000).

Mr. Thomas stated, Sal Chemical put the same bid in last year. OP Aquatics met them but with the other types of chemicals they are using, it was cheaper to go with Sal Chemical. This helps us. We have never had someone bid against OP Aquatics and our charges were $1.50-1.75 a gallon. Now we are getting it at .97. You saw all of the organizations. There are 28 overall organizations that bid just like Doug’s salt. We had 16 that were ahead with Sal, 7 that was a wash and 5 that were ahead with OP. We looked at the overall bid and said we are going with Sal Chemical.

Chairman Saponaro asked, any questions? There were none.


  • Bellcrank (front lifting arm) for 621 case loader (Emergency purchase - Southeastern Equipment - $6,676.21) (Straw vote approved 3/4/16).

Mr. Metzung stated, this is the arm that helps lift the front-end loader. It broke. It is being replaced. A straw vote was done on Friday.

Chairman Saponaro asked, who did you contact for the straw vote?

Mr. Metzung replied, yourself, Mr. Marrie, Patsy and Steve Parker.

For our recreational fertilization, at this point I have two bids. This for the fertilization we do in-house for our recreational fields. It’s tough to find someone. As everyone remembers, we went organic several years back. These are OMRI-approved products that we use which is organic material review who does this stuff. It’s actually an increase over last year by a couple thousand dollars. The one thing I want you to notice, on the bottom of the Walker Supply proposal you will see a number highlighted in yellow, the $11,929 number. To the right of that is the $8,035 number. The $8,035 number is there because we couldn’t match apples for apples with the other quote. Those are the major things we purchase. Between that one and the other product, the same product from another vendor is $8,900.

Chairman Saponaro stated, for the granular fertilizers, the soil conditioner, the herbicides and the insecticide, that is $8,035 compared to Site One which is $8,959?

Mr. Metzung replied, correct. But the other items, actually the herbicide and the insecticide would be the additional amount that gets us to the $11,000 so it would be above these numbers. These are also included in this but these numbers we will only use if needed. So in other words, we have a number for it but we don’t know if we are ever going to have to use it because fungicides are pretty weather dependent whether you need to go to that or not. The comparison numbers are smaller than the numbers that I am actually looking for which is the $11,929 number. That’s stuff we are going to use. But I could not compare those because the other company did not offer those. All I could do was match what I could match.

Mr. Marrie asked, so it’s $8035 versus $8959?

Mr. Metzung replied, yes, for the numbers we can match.

Chairman Saponaro stated, and the total expenditure is $11,929.01.

Mr. Metzung replied, correct.

Mr. Jerome stated, if you went with Site One, you would have to get another vendor?

Mr. Metzung replied, I would have go to back to Walker to get those other materials.

Mr. Jerome asked, so we went all-organic in Mayfield Village. Some of the stuff is done by?

Mr. Metzung replied, service personnel. We do all of the sports fields. For the rest, in the past we have used Good Nature. They do everything else. That’s a much larger number. We are looking now that are learning more and more and it’s become a little more out there in the mainstream, we are looking for other vendors.

Mr. Jerome asked, but keep it as is?

Mr. Metzung replied, right. We like doing our own in that we do it a lot more often. In other words, they will do five things. We will show that we have these. He may do half the amount twice as many times.

Mr. Jerome asked, but it’s just too much for us to do it all ourselves?

Mr. Metzung replied, we couldn’t do the whole Village. There’s a lot.

Chairman Saponaro asked, any questions on this? There were none.

Mr. Metzung stated, we are out to bid for our 55 trees in various locations.


Chairman Saponaro asked, any other matters?

Mr. Esborn stated, I wanted to talk a little bit about our incentive agreement with QED and the role of M.C.I.C. in that agreement. The agreement says that at the beginning of each year following a calendar year in the term, M.C.I.C. will perform an annual review and assessment of the company’s compliance with the terms of the agreement.

Chairman Saponaro asked, would that go here or in front of Council for Caucus? Just because you are going to repeat the same thing. That’s more appropriate there unless anyone has any objections.

Mr. Metzung asked, Mark, did you ever find an easement for the Fappiano properties?

Mr. Guidetti replied, I found 3 actually, but I am not sure which one applies. I was going to bring it tomorrow and go over it with you.

Mr. Marquardt stated, it’s been over three weeks now.

Chairman Saponaro asked, what is it about?

Mr. Marquardt stated, Fappiano is complaining about not having an entryway off of SOM.

Chairman Saponaro stated, we will bring this up in Caucus. Anything else? There were no further matters.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m. The next Finance Committee meeting is scheduled for Monday, March 21, 2016 at 7:30 p.m. in the Main Conference Room at the Mayfield Village Civic Center.