Finance Caucus - August 1st 2016

Main Conference Room – Mayfield Village Civic Center
Monday, August 1, 2016 - 7:15 p.m.

The Finance Committee met on Monday, August 1, 2016 in the Main Conference Room at the Mayfield Village Civic Center.  Chairman Saponaro called the meeting to order at 7:25 p.m.


Present: Mr. Saponaro, Mr. Marquardt (7:48), and Mr. Williams

Also Present: Mrs. Mills, Mr. Marrie, Mr. Jerome, Mayor Bodnar, Mr. Diemert (7:44) Mr. Metzung, Mr. Cappello, Chief Carcioppolo, Chief Edelman, Mr. Thomas, Ms. Wolgamuth, and Mrs. Betsa


  • Monument Sign at Civic Center Driveway and LED Sign at Corner of Wilson Mills and SOM Center Road (Akers Identity, LLC - $56,500)

Ms. Wolgamuth asked, did you see any signs outside?

Chairman Saponaro replied no.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, we didn’t either.  They were supposed to bring signs and have them for display at 7:00. We have not seen them yet so I am not really sure what to say. Akers was the low bid.  They do have a very nice brochure.  They have done a lot of signage in the Cleveland area.  I can make copies of this for everyone. Ed Parker did verify their bid.   He just wanted to make sure it was apples to apples.  He verified that everything is included.  He is still checking references.  I can provide an update in packets on Friday and maybe the signs will show up or we will schedule another date to look at them.

  • Grove bandshell

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, I am going to try to be brief.  Usually I give you a very long detailed memo.  This time I just kind of wanted to walk through it so I could explain where we are and where we think we are headed.  I think you all know The Grove is in its third season.  It has done very well over these three years. I think everyone knows that the next piece of the infrastructure that we would like is the bandshell.  We had contemplated budgeting for the bandshell and constructing it.  We were hoping for Spring of 2017 so that we would be ready for next season.  A component for that bandshell is a storage room and what we call a green room which is essentially a backstage area for the performers to come and sit before they get on stage. In anticipation of moving forward with that, we engaged Meld Architects and we had them do a conceptual design.  They actually did two.  We chose the one we preferred and we put a sign up at The Grove so people could look at it and comment and we could get feedback. So far the feedback has been very good. We have really only had positive comments.

The Mayor asked us to look into the possibility of a prefab kit rather than doing a custom design.  We looked at the kit.  It was through Dave Williams and Associates.  The quote for just the bandshell materials came in at $66,600.  The rule of thumb that I have been given is 40% materials and 60% labor for construction. Considering that, we would still have to prepare the foundation and do all the site work.  We estimate the kit would come in at about $170,000-180,000.  This does not include any consideration for acoustical design at all.  This compares to our estimate if we did a custom design of about $200,000-220,000 which depends very much on the materials we choose because if we choose more expensive materials obviously the shell would cost more.  What we did find out was that we could also include acoustical engineering in that and one of Meld’s principals, Michael Wellman, just recently was the lead architect on the renovation of the Goodyear Theater in Akron so they do have some experience with acoustical design.  That was a plus.

This has what has driven us to talk about it now, the County recently announced a new community development supplemental grant program which is available to municipalities and it uses casino funds.  I was hoping Garry would be here to talk to us about it. The grant application is not available yet.  We don’t know what all of the questions will be. We don’t know if there’s matching funds required, but we do know that the maximum grant award is $50,000.

Garry contacted the County and he spoke with them.  They thought that the Grove bandshell would be an excellent project for these funds and they suggested that if we phase the project and did bandshell one year and the greenroom the second year, we could apply twice and get $50,000 for each phase.  That was their suggestion.  Apparently they looked at the powerpoint presentations that we put together and loved it and thought that we were in good shape to receive the grant.

Chairman Saponaro asked, how much money do they have for grants?  Do you know what their budget is?

Mayor Bodnar replied, I don’t remember the number, but there is a number.  I believe there is a minimum of how many grants they will award. I will get you that information.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, we think the grant application is going to be due by the end of October.  We will find out at the meeting next Friday whether that is true.

Ms. Wolgamuth continued, we don’t have an official grant writer any more.  Garry and I know the Grove as well as anyone so we thought we would work together to do the grant application.  We don’t know what the match is going to be, but we are fairly confident that the further along we are in planning the more likely we are to get the money. Pretty much like the trail, when we went to NOACA.  We were going regardless of the funding and that was really helpful.  They said they were looking for projects that are shovel ready.  I think that’s typically true of funders.  They don’t want you to say we have an idea about a shell. They want to know what you are doing, what it is going to cost, they want to know you are moving forward.  We asked Meld to put together a proposal for a design development, construction documents, bid specs and construction administration to oversee the project assuming that everyone wants to move forward that way and that we want to do two phases.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, the other piece of infrastructure that we do not have yet is permanent signage.  That is something that obviously we are going to need eventually.

Chairman Saponaro asked, for the Grove?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, yes, for the Grove.  Do we want to include that in these next two years?  Is that something we want to push out beyond?  Then you would be looking at 2019 before we did any signage.

Mr. Jerome asked, is it a thought to do a digital sign?  Should we try it here and if we like it we look into it again?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, absolutely.  That is a consideration.

Chairman Saponaro asked, don’t you think it would make sense to do the signage on the front end versus at the end only because part of the promotion, part of what is generating interest, eye-catching, it makes sense?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, I think signage is important. We have struggled with it.  We just have temporary signs that we have had from the beginning.  So, that is where we are at. I was trying to get some sense of whether Council wants to move forward with the shell starting in 2017.  If we like the phasing of it.  If we want to apply for the County grant.  And if we want to do all those things, I would get the final proposal to put on the agenda and actually try to get it approved this month.

Chairman Saponaro stated, so in 2017 the budget, it would be contemplated in that budget?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, yes.

Chairman Saponaro asked, or has it already been?  Is it a part of the five-year plan?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, it’s already part of the five-year plan.  I believe we put $300,000 in for next year but we would back that down depending if we do the signage.  We can back it down to $225,000 or $250,000 or we could leave it at $300,000 and include the signage.

Chairman Saponaro stated, but then also if we get the grant and you do it in two phases, we would get $50,000 and $50,000.

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, right.

Chairman Saponaro asked, do we have a person in charge of the grant program?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, we do.  The e-mail I got I think it was Sara Jackson but I know that there’s someone else that Garry spoke to.  When he gets here, you can ask.

Chairman Saponaro stated, let’s ask him on that.  Even through Leadership Academy, there’s a lot of relationships that have been created.  That can also be helpful to help navigate that process.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, this year we budgeted $50,000 for infrastructure.  That was for the pavers, the stone seating and then the balance was going to be used for design.  I don’t know exactly how much was left in that $50,000 but that would be used for that.

Chairman Saponaro asked, at this phase and stage of it?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, right.

Mr. Marrie asked, so you think we should go with two years to get both $50,000’s?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, I think we should.  I think it’s worth a try.  I think phasing it over two years is doable.  We need the storage there so once the tent is gone and there is only a shell we will have to struggle through where to leave tables and chairs, but we can manage those things.

Mr. Marrie stated, there’s no sense passing up the extra $50,000.

Chairman Saponaro asked, so you have to receive the grant, you can’t get reimbursed for what you have already spent?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, we don’t even know yet.  This is a new grant program.  That meeting is next Friday and I think they will be providing all those details.

Chairman Saponaro stated, because sometimes when you do construction over a two year period, like in 2017 and it goes to 2018 and then you complete, maybe you can get reimbursement?  I don’t know how that works.

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, I think typically reimbursements.  Most of the ones that I have seen.

Chairman Saponaro asked, and then they will give it back to you?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, yes.

Chairman Saponaro stated, okay.  What I am saying is that does it just have to be construction in general or do you have to really delineate we are going to do this in this year and this in this year?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, I don’t know.

Chairman Saponaro stated, okay. We will find all that out. Great.  Anybody have any questions?

Mr. Jerome stated, I was just going to say two things.  If we are going to do it, I think we need to shoot for the stars on it.  I know if we are going to go with the grant program, we are trying to get timing right and I think it sounds like we have enough money do a pretty nice bandshell but I would even say if it took us another year to put some money away to do it, I would rather wait than do something we are not happy with.  If that’s what we are going to do.  The only other thing I was going to say, the possibility of putting a bathroom as part of the greenroom.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, we did talk about that.  I think if we were going to put restrooms in, as you are walking in the Grove, that area immediately to the left but not connected to the bandshell. I don’t think you want people walking toward the shell to go to the restroom.  I think you want them walking away from it.

Mr. Metzung stated, logistically that might be the hardest spot to put it.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, that would be a hard spot.  Because the sewers Doug says have to run to SOM.   The water is on North Commons. There’s hydrants there so we can tap into the water there.  We may end up having to live with port-a-potties since it’s seasonal.

Mr. Jerome stated, it’s just a thought.  One thing I said to you, maybe we should look into cleaning up the bathrooms at the pool a little bit.

Chairman Saponaro stated, why don’t we leave this for the floor and everyone can partake in it?

Ms. Wolgamuth asked, so sign or no sign?  Phase 1 or Phase 2?

Chairman Saponaro stated, personally I don’t know you can do all the other stuff and don’t do the sign with it.  It doesn’t make sense to me.  The sign has to come first or at least at the same time.

Mr. Marrie agreed.  The first part.

Chairman Saponaro asked, Mayor, what do you think?  What is your feeling on it?

Mayor Bodnar replied, it depends on how the dollars shape up.  If it makes sense that we put it in Phase 2 so we balance out the cost and then maybe part of the grant will cover the signage.  It will depend too on what we hear at the meeting we go to.  I think it ought to be done as soon as possible.  It will then dovetail with the design we have going on so everything will relate to each other.

Chairman Saponaro stated, makes sense.  I think that preliminarily you have to include it.  We can always decide later not to or change anything. We just don’t have enough information.  But it seems to make the most sense.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, okay.  Then I will be able to get that proposal in packets on Friday.  The meeting is next Friday and then we can report on it at the Council meeting.  If we don’t pass it in August, we will get less done. If we pass it in September, we won’t have as much time between September and the grant application at the end of October.

Chairman Saponaro stated, but we will get more information on the grant application itself and kind of figure out what we need to do, correct?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, yes.  Thank you.

Mr. Jerome stated, I think the sign is important.


  • Update on 2016 Traffic Signal Improvements bid opening

Mr. Cappello stated, the bids were over the engineer’s estimate by 10% so we are re-advertising tomorrow.  It’s basically the same legal notice with an updated engineer’s estimate.  That will go out.

Mr. Marrie asked, 10% over?

Mr. Cappello replied, it was 10% over.  By law we have to rebid.

Mr. Jerome asked, it was a good estimate though?

Mr. Cappello replied, what ends up happening, ODOT has a big book of cost estimates.  What happens is we did a small amount of sidewalk, small sidewalk areas and some other things.  This isn’t a really large project.  What happens is a smaller amount, I would cost.  When we use the numbers, the numbers they were off on were the sidewalk and some other small things that because of the quantity issues it costs more.

  • Rear yard drainage easement maintenance improvement (860 Hardwood Court)

Mr. Cappello stated, the Village owns a 20-foot drainage easement along the rear properties over there.  There’s some erosion going on.  There are some plans to solve that problem.  The property has a steep grade to it.  It definitely drops off at the easement.

Chairman Saponaro asked, whose property is this?

Mr. Cappello replied, Dr. Mulgaokar.  It discharges on to Kay Phillips’ property.


  • Street Lighting Assessments 2016 and 2017 (Resolution 2016-17)

Chairman Saponaro asked, is there anything to report on this?

Ms. Wolgamuth asked, didn’t we do this last month?

Mayor Bodnar stated, there was a memo on it.

Chairman Saponaro stated, we have that.  I don’t know if there’s anything else, but this is the Resolution that is pretty self-explanatory.

Mrs. Betsa replied, this must be submitted to the County by September 12th.


  • Update on Assistant Fire Chief/Fire Marshall position

Chief Carcioppolo stated, we established a range.  I went through this with Ron, the comparables in the area, taking into account the pay differentials that are in our current structure with rank.   The Law Department created a Resolution.

Chairman Saponaro stated, that’s Resolution 2016-19.


  • Additional revisions to Codified Ordinance Chapter 155 (Senior Center and Community Room Building – Ordinance 2016-15)

Mr. Diemert stated, this has the recommendations of the changes, technical uses from Administration, various uses and the application process.

Ms. Wolgamuth added, the only change was to make sure that it was clear the Mayor had discretion.

Mr. Marrie stated, so for a group that comes in, it’s up to the Mayor to make the decision.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, right.  Other than that, it should all be the same.


  • Teen Adventure Camp Co-Op (City of Mayfield Heights - $9,500 – pass-through)

Mr. Thomas stated, this is our annual co-op that we do with Mayfield Heights. We had 15 campers that signed up.  That total came to $9,500.  This is a pass-through that we give them and then we get a percentage of the profits at the end of the season.

  • Geese control at soccer fields and Grove August-November 30, 2016 (Ohio Geese Control - $3,995)

Mr. Thomas stated, we found out about this company at our Ohio Parks and Recreation Association meeting at Kalahari back in February. We signed an agreement with them from February until July 31st.  We felt that they have done a good job.  We would like to do the second phase of the program which runs $3,995.  That takes us from August 1st until the end of November.

  • Senior Services
    • Results of bid opening – Senior Snow Removal Program
    • Opt out program

Mr. Thomas stated, we had the results come in for the Senior Snow Removal Program.  It is the same companies we have dealt with for the last couple years.  It’s MJO, Arnold’s and Ameriscape.  Based on what we had last year, 248 participants. Donna anticipates anywhere from 210 to 280.  Based on these two sections for MJO, Arnold’s and three for Ameriscape, we should be able to cover everyone in the community. They range from $225 up to $250 per driveway.

Mr. Thomas stated, if they want to opt out, they get $75 once they provide a paid bill.

Chairman Saponaro asked, when is the deadline for that?

Mr. Thomas replied, December 31st.


Chairman Saponaro asked, any other matters?

There were no further matters.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:49 p.m.  The next Finance Committee meeting is scheduled for Monday, August 15, 2016 at 7:30 p.m. in the Main Conference Room at the Mayfield Village Civic Center.