Finance Caucus: March 2nd 2015

MINUTES OF THE
FINANCE CAUCUS COMMITTEE MEETING
Monday, March 2, 2015 – 7:30 p.m.
Main Conference Room
Mayfield Village Civic Center

The Finance Caucus Committee meeting was held on Monday, March 2, 2015 in the Main Conference Room at Mayfield Village Civic Center.  Mr. Saponaro called the meeting to order at 7:31 p.m.

(Print friendly/pdf)

Present: Mr. Saponaro, Mr. Marquardt, Mr. Marrie and Dr. Parker

Also Present: Mrs. Mills, Mr. Jerome, Mr. Wynne, Chief Edelman, Mr. Metzung, Chief Carcioppolo, Mr. DiNardo, Mr. Jeff Thomas, Mr. Cappello, Mr. Diemert, Ms. Wolgamuth and Mrs. Betsa

1. Website Proposal (WRIS Web Services - $18,630.00).

Mr. Thomas reported, it has been five years since we redesigned the web.  Last turnaround we did it as a traditional design. I am gearing us towards a responsive design which will allow access through more platforms than just desktop. 

Mr. Saponaro asked, is it more content management?

Mr. Thomas replied, yes.  Just to show how our site has grown since the last time we did it, in 2010, we were getting about 96,000 use for the year. We have almost doubled that by 181,000.  Access to our site in 2010, 96% got through our site through a desktop.  Last year, it was 65%.   To show you the differences between traditional, this is our site. If you were to shrink it, you see how it cuts off. This is one of the designs from the company we use, you see it starts shifting it.  Everything is nice, neat, readable and legible.  No matter what size your device is, you will still be able to see it.

Mr. Jerome asked, it won’t be a mobile site?

Mr. Thomas replied, not necessarily a mobile.  It will respond to whatever size your screen is.  If I am looking at it on my desktop, it’s not going to be the same as the screen on my tablet but it gives you the priority information first. 

Mr. Saponaro asked, in looking at the websites, what kind of process did you go through?  I know we have used this company and you are familiar with them.  Are there are other companies?  What’s a normal type?

Mr. Thomas replied, there are other companies.  Sticking with them will save us some costs so we don’t have to migrate our content to another site.  They are giving us a reduced rate.

Mr. Saponaro asked, do they host our site?

Mr. Thomas replied, they host our site.  All of this is additional. Everything the quote covers goes up to page 4.  Their normal hourly rate is $140. They are giving us a discount on the migration.  They added some other things, utilizing some other new technology we did not have before.  There’s a lot of things behind the scenes that helps me that you don’t see on here.  It’s easier to upload minutes without having to reformat them for the site.  They have better image management. 

Mr. Saponaro asked, in terms of bringing it up to date, how do we not be antiquated within a year of updating?

Mr. Thomas replied, it’s kind of the same way we did it the last round.  Do little enhancements here and there that are not exhorbitant. I can add things here and there.

Mr. Saponaro asked, did they recommend anything we said no to because of cost?

Mr. Thomas replied, no. 

Mr. Saponaro asked, do they have a program for updates and revisions?

Mr. Thomas replied, no. If there’s something I see on a different site, I will shoot them an e-mail and ask them to look at that site and advise what it would cost to add it to our site.  On this site here, they have property manager.  I had them include this on our quote. It will help us for economic development.  It’s through Google as well.

Mr. Saponaro asked, in terms of the additional options, the maintenance retainer, generally what are they doing now in terms of maintenance?

Mr. Thomas replied, maintenance is covered.  For example, if I request them to make a change, that’s how they would bill us.  If I notice something wrong with it, they don’t charge for it.

Mr. Saponaro asked, is there a monthly maintenance that we need done, that’s required?

Mr. Thomas replied, no.  I don’t see a need for it.

Mr. Saponaro asked, do you see a need to have the additional options included?

Mr. Thomas replied, no.

Mr. Jerome asked, is there anything you do maintenance wise?

Mr. Thomas replied, once it is set up, I plug things in.  We host through them.  I will keep that. 

Mr. Saponaro asked, is that part of this package?

Mr. Thomas replied, yes.  We are paid up for hosting through the end of the year.  That renews every year.

Mr. Saponaro asked, that’s not part of this contract price?

Mr. Thomas replied, right.  Hosting is $300 a year.   Their up-time is pretty good.  Over the past five years, I have had maybe two outages which have lasted no more than an hour.

Mr. Saponaro asked, where are their servers at?

Mr. Thomas replied, I don’t know.

Mr. Jerome stated, I go on the site a lot. Events that should be on the calendar are not on it.  You told me that sometimes the department heads don’t give you the information, so there’s nothing you can do.

Mr. Thomas stated, whatever I get goes on there.

Mr. Saponaro asked, do we use Outlook in the Village?

Mr. Thomas replied, yes.  It’s not compatible to upload it.

Mr. Saponaro asked, it won’t upload here?

Mr. Thomas replied, no. So if you click on our calendar through the website, all entries I have to put in. 

Mr. Saponaro asked, there’s no way to do it?

Mr. Thomas replied, we never really looked at it because you are then uploading the whole calendar.  You would have to pick and choose.  We have probably 12 different Outlook calendars.

Mr. Saponaro stated, okay.  Just check it out to see if it’s compatible. You could create a calendar that only has that. You are putting it in once and then it’s updated.

Mr. Thomas stated, we tried to build it so that when I enter things, I have 5 different boxes I can do, one for Council, Grove, Reserve Hall, Community Events.  It doesn’t filter in as the way it should.  But to show an example, here’s a site where the calendar lists community events, Council events.  There are tons of other sites. I have not gotten to the design aspect of it yet. Once I do that, I will update you.

Mr. Saponaro stated, okay. Any other questions? There were none.

2. Renewal of Life Insurance.

Mr. Wynne reported, the contract is up April 1st.  We have not had an increase in two years. The increase is 3.5% amounting to $150 for the whole year.

Mr. Saponaro asked, any questions? There were none.

3. Update on Proposed Regional Dispatch.

Mr. Saponaro stated, we received an update on this at Safety and Service. We are getting the information and hope to have it in time for the Council meeting.

Chief Edelman stated, you will have it by the end of the week.

4. Authorization to prepare specifications and go out to bid for 2015 Road Program (work to include waterline replacement on Bonnieview, Glenview and Beech Hill).

Mr.  Metzung stated, we are looking at additional things for these roads.

Mr. Marrie added, they are going to try to get a dual quote, one with doing the street over as-is and the other with what it would cost to widen all of them, especially Beech Hill.

Mr. Marquardt asked, you are not talking big widening?

Mr. Metzung replied, no.  We would be looking at maybe 9 or 10 foot a lane.  It comes down to the ditch work.

5. Spring Tree Planting (Klyn Nursery – 80 trees (Raleigh Drive, Civic Center and North Commons) not to exceed $10,000).

This item was discussed in Safety and Service.

Mr. Saponaro asked, do you have a program?

Mr. Metzung replied, yes.  What we are doing now is where we have made improvements, like the Civic Center and Raleigh.  We have landscape plans for those areas.  Another area we will look at this year is where we removed a lot of ash trees on the North Commons area due to the bugs.

Mr. Jerome stated, I know over the years you have taken a lot of trees out of the median. Are you gradually putting some back in?

Mr. Metzung replied, it’s been several years since we have been able to get to SOM and replant that, but yes, we will get back into that.

Mr. Saponaro asked, do you have a master schedule?

 Mr. Metzung replied, we try to do no more than 80 trees a year per planting.

6. Lawn Care Fertilization (Good Nature - $18,747.16)

Mr. Metzung reported, this is our typical yearly fertilization of Village grounds.   The only thing you will notice different is we are not going to use Good Nature for products for our sports fields.  We found another vendor that we are working with that has the same idea, same kind of product.

Mr. Saponaro asked, we are going to use them for sports fields?

Mr. Metzung replied, sports fields we have always maintained on our own. We buy the products and place them on our own.  We are going to look to a different vendor for the products.

Mr. Saponaro asked, that will come up as a separate item?

Mr. Metzung replied, right.

Mr. Jerome asked, every other property, they will supply and put down the product?

Mr. Metzung replied, right.  I will have the detailed list for you at the next Finance meeting.

Mr. Wynne stated, we spent about $27,600 last year with Good Nature which included the fertilization Doug is looking at now plus supplying fertilizer for the sports fields which was $8,000-9,000.

7. 2015 Technical Assistance at Construction Sites per EPA Requirements (Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District - $13,000).

Mr. Saponaro stated, everyone should have received the Memorandum of Understanding.  Who is handling this?

Mr. Metzung replied, me and Tom.

Mr. Saponaro asked, who drafted who is doing what?

Mr. Metzung replied, Soil and Water.

Mr. Saponaro asked, they put it together?

Mr. Metzung replied, yes.

Mr. Saponaro stated, from a practical standpoint, that’s what I am really more interested in.  Are we able to fulfill these and how are we going to do it?  Is it a continuation of what we normally do?  They are saying, designate someone to serve as a liaison, right?

Mr. Metzung replied, yes.

Mr. Saponaro stated, then it says the Village recognizing environmental and economic functions of naturally vegetated open spaces such as wetlands. I don’t know how you fulfill that requirement.  Utilize the technical assistance in plan reviews, project inventories, etc.  Direct builders, developers and consultants to the SWCD for assistance, early stages concept planning. 

Mr. Metzung stated, when people come in for plans, we send them a copy.  They have to submit plans to the Soil and Water District.

Mr. Saponaro asked, they are required to?

Mr. Metzung replied, yes.

Mr. Saponaro asked, SCWD weighs in on it and comes back to us?

Mr. Cappello stated, they will do the inspections. They want to make sure everything is covered per their requirements.

Mr. Metzung stated, before they can begin, we have a meeting in which the developer and Village and Soil and Water sit down and layout what they are going to be looking for.

Mr. Saponaro asked, we become the enforcement arm of it as well?

Mr. Cappello replied, yes.

Mr. Saponaro stated, we provide all the surveys, proposed layouts, designs and notices and all that and we have to recognize they have no regulatory authority but this contract is requiring us and allowing them to be a part of the process.  It’s more the carrying out of it practically speaking.

Mr. Marrie stated, we talked about this at Safety and Service. Tom and Doug are going to look into possibly taking some of the cost of this and passing it on to the developer. They will check on that.

Mr. Saponaro asked, we are not passing any cost on at this point?

Mr. Metzung replied, not directly. I am sure there are some permit fees or charges in there.

Mr. Cappello stated, we can talk to Soil and Water and estimate how many site visits and come up with a per site visit fee. 

Mr. Saponaro stated, they have to already have fee schedules.

Mr. Cappello stated, we can check what their fee schedule is.  That will help us make a determination.

8. Liquid Chlorine, Muriatic Acid and Sodium Bicarbonate Group Bid Purchase.

In Mr. Thomas’ absence, Mr. Wynne reported, they have not gotten prices yet.  You should have that by the Council meeting.

9. Parkview Swimming Pool Employees Salary - 2015

10. Summer camp positions and compensation - 2015

Mr. Wynne reported, the only changes made to the legislation for the pool from last year is to adjust the minimum wage from $7.95 to $8.10 an hour.  On the summer camp, the minimum wage adjustment and the program was revamped by Bill a little bit.  The salary for the Director was reduced from $8,800 to $4,000. The Co-Director was reduced from $4,200 to $4,000.

Mr. Saponaro asked, any questions on that? There were none.

11. Marketing and promotion for The Grove (Rosenberg Advertising – not to exceed $10,000.00)

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, last November Garry Regan came to Council and presented his report on Grove activities for 2014.  One of the things the Committee recommended was hiring someone on a part-time basis to help with promotion, oversee the facility, start doing the programming itself.  Garry’s doing most of that right now.  Hopefully someone would be able to help us with sources of funding and corporate sponsorships.  We put the job description together and realized that was going to be a fairly expensive position. For this year, the Committee thought we could get by if we would hire a promotion and marketing company and a summer intern. That’s what we have been working toward. We got three quotes. I apologize, somehow the Boom Creative attachment was the wrong attachment, but the memo describes the pricing. The Committee met last week.  Their recommendation is Rosenberg Advertising.  When I talked to each of the agencies, I said, okay, assume 20 events. These are the things we did last year for each of these events.  But then when we met last week, we agreed that if it is a weekend and you have two or three events, you could combine a lot of that work into a weekend so you don’t necessarily need a flier for every event you are doing.  You are doing a flier for the weekend. I went back to Rosenberg and asked them to revise their pricing with that in mind considering an 8 week season, essentially doing 8 fliers rather than 20.  They brought their price down to $8,000.  Obviously the other companies would do the same if I went back and said, okay, adjust.  But since the Committee was recommending Rosenberg, I have not done that.

Mr. Marrie asked, were they the lowest?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, no, they were actually the highest of the three.

Mr. Marrie asked, what made the Committee jump on that?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, the Committee liked Rosenberg because they are an agency and have many staff people working at the agency. Boom Creative is really one individual who hires subcontractors. The third group, the agency did not want to quote the project, so the woman I spoke to wanted to quote it on a freelance basis.  It wasn’t the entire agency.

Mr. Saponaro asked, Lillash Design is not the agency?  It’s just the individual? 

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, yes.

Mr. Saponaro asked, so it’s her and Teresa Dejohn?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, right.

Mr. Saponaro asked, what’s the agency?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, the agency was called AKHIA.  They both work for AKHIA.  AKHIA didn’t want to quote.

Mr. Saponaro stated, what I liked about that quote was the specific roles and responsibilities, exactly what they would do broken down.  To me, that was probably the most comprehensive out of all of them, what they would be doing.  Their hourly rates and things of that nature seem to be good.

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, their hourly rates are much less expensive, I agree.

Mr. Saponaro stated, obviously the Committee was concerned because they are not an agency, they are freelancing, but they if they are going to quote this, they are going to have to be able to carry it out.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, I gave you the Minutes as part of the packet so you could see their rationale.  Garry knows the Rosenbergs. They are from this area.  Austin Rosenberg would be the key individual working on this account went to Mayfield High School and worked for our Recreation Department at some point in the summer camp program. As they talked about it, the feeling was that they know Mayfield Village even though their agency is in Lakewood.

Mr. Marquardt stated, you pick the highest price because they are your buddy.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, I am not going to say it’s his buddy. I don’t know that he has any contact with him.  It was just as we talked about, does anyone know of any agencies, he recommended them.  Mr. Jerome knew Teresa Dejohn from AKHIA, so he recommended then.  I only knew Boom Creative because we used them before.

Mr. Saponaro asked, who is Boom Creative?

Mr. Thomas replied, Drew Dallet, out in Twinsburg.

Mr. Saponaro asked, what is your belief here?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, my belief is that I could work with any of the three.  I don’t have a preference necessarily. I try to let the Committee discuss and recommend what they feel they want to.

Mr. Saponaro asked, can we go back to the other two and ask for a comparative quote?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, sure.  With the reduction of the work.

Mr. Saponaro stated, with the reduction. The other thing is can we go back to Rosenberg and ask for a comparative based on this information. This is much more detailed. I don’t know if it is going to still be the same amount of money. They did a nice job. They really laid it out very well. I would imagine it would not take too long.

Ms. Wolgamuth asked, to make the revisions?

Mr. Saponaro replied, yes.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, Rosenberg came back within a day with the revision.

Mr. Saponaro stated, unless there’s something in here that you think is not appropriate, this is because it’s laid out. If there’s something missing from here, it’s kind of an amalgamation of this plus whatever you think is missing.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, that is what was difficult.  Talking to the three agencies and trying to get quotes that would be comparing apples to apples. After I got the first quote, I essentially used their list and went okay, here’s the list, now you quote it. Even so, it comes back a little bit different.   Boom Creative also did it differently. 

Mr. Saponaro stated, start the specs you used and maybe add from this one and put it together and say, we need to do this comparatively.  See what they come back with.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, I think all three of them would be fine.

Mr. Jerome stated, for the most part, if I remember from the meeting, what you listed was all the same across the board. Garry felt that even though Rosenberg was a little more money, we felt he was going to get what we paid for if we were to go with him.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, Garry felt that Rosenberg would consider this job to be more important.  He wanted it to be important to someone.  He felt Rosenberg would pay more attention because they are a full-time agency where the women who are free-lancing have full-time jobs during the day and would be less responsive if we needed something and had a deadline of a day.

Mr. Saponaro asked, did we address that with them?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, no.

Mr. Saponaro stated, we should.

Ms. Wolgamuth asked, like how would you respond?

Mr. Saponaro replied, yes.  Obviously if we are going to do it comparatively, we need to understand how it works.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, Drew from Boom Creative is an individual working on his own.

Mr. Saponaro stated, I would imagine that for whatever they are doing, they are at a place where they are able to do this?  They have to get permission to do it.  There has to be a level of autonomy. I would imagine that’s not going to be an issue. It’s not like a cubicle and 9-5 kind of thing.  It’s whatever it takes to get it done, but I think we need to at least address that concern.  It looks good.  It’s a good solution. The intern part of it, I am not really sure where they fit in to it.

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, the intern part of it is to oversee the event.  Actually being at The Grove on weekends and as the groups coming helping to make sure they set up. The Committee will still volunteer and will still be there, but they all agreed it was a lot last summer to expect everyone to attend that many events.

Mr. Saponaro agreed.

Mr. Jerome added, and Diane’s time of trying to be at every event she possibly could.  She has other things.

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, the full-time things I do here and then being there on the weekends.  It was a rough summer. It was fun in a lot of ways, but it was a lot.

Mr. Marquardt asked, are you still looking for a $10,000 intern for 10 weeks?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, no.  My calculation, if we pay an intern $12 an hour, we are looking at around $4,000.

Mr. Saponaro asked, do we hire anyone part-time for the summer administratively?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, we don’t usually. We have put together the job description. Bill Thomas has put it on the OPRA website. We have sent it to various colleges. We have four applicants so far that are in school for recreation or theater.

Mr. Saponaro asked, will you send me the job description?

Mr. Jerome stated, I think with the intern, unless I am wrong, maybe would not need Service as much.  Sometimes Service was there not necessarily setting anything up, but to be there.

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, that’s another thing we hoped that this person would make it easier. They could set up tables and chairs and we wouldn’t need Service to do that. At the end of the night, they could make sure everything’s put away.  Many times we just stored everything under the tent overnight and we would have Service have to be there to do that.  It should reduce Service a lot.

Mr. Saponaro asked, how can it reduce it?  It’s one person.

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, with the volunteers that will be there, I think they can move the couple tables and chairs.

Mr. Saponaro asked, are they going to be the volunteer coordinator as well?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, yes.

Mr. Saponaro stated, okay. They could then also look for students and others to help out.  Are there any other questions on this?  There were none.

12. 2015 Budget.

Mr. Saponaro stated, this was discussed very extensively at our last meeting.  I hope if people had any questions they reached out and talked to any of the department heads. Is there anything else to discuss here?

Mr. Metzung stated, I want to add one thing that Bill Thomas I thought was going to have about regrading the ballfields and doing the goal mounds for the soccer fields. Hopefully he will have that for the March meeting.  It was under $12,000.

Mr. Marquardt asked, is there any revision to the budget?

Mr. Wynne replied, at the last meeting, I mentioned there was about $60,000 of additional expenses added from the preliminary copies you received. Those were $35,000 for salt, $16,000 for repair and maintenance of the field that Doug was just discussing that we got a quote of $12,000 on, $3,000 increase in SPAN dues because Gates Mills has left the SPAN group and a $10,000 increase in MARCS radio fees. They will be raising their rates July 1st. That comes to about $64,000.

In addition to that, since then, we want to have two additional changes. One is to add $25,000 for repair and maintenance of rental property. We have budgeted $15,000, $7,000 of which Council already approved windows for the Thornapple house. We have gone out and gotten appraisals.  Once the sewer project is completed, we would like to hopefully sell the house on Thornapple and to sell the house on Meadowood if Council wants to go in that direction. We have gotten appraisals on the Thornapple house at $140,000. Comparables range from $135,000-160,000, so that seems to be reasonably in the ballpark. Not a lot needs to be done with that house once Jim Deacon moves out in June and the windows are replaced. On the Meadowood house, we received an appraisal at $110,000.  Comparables range from $180,000-190,000.  There’s a concern from our standpoint of selling something in the neighborhood considerably below and the impact it might have on the property values.  John Marrelli went and looked at the house. We figured we need about $20,000 in repairs to get it ready for sale, most of it being the roof.  In addition to that, that house will be getting the sewerline. Because we own the property anyway, we would not assess ourselves which adds about $10,000 in value to a respective buyer by not having that assessment. We would probably pay for the lateral connection to the house so that when we put it on the market, the sewerline is already installed and operable.

With those improvements, we should be able to get the house valued more closely to what the comparables are versus $110,000. We might have to spend around $30,000-40,000 to sell it for $160,000-180,000.

Mr. Jerome asked, does the Thornapple house need a new driveway or is that figured in with once the sewer project is done?

Mr. Cappello stated, it’s part of the sewer project.

Mr. Wynne stated, we wanted to add $25,000 to repair and maintenance of rental property.  Also, Tom got some more detailed quotes on what we want to do for the Civic Center parking lot.  Not knowing what it was going to be, we put $200,000 in the budget.  Tom’s conservative numbers are coming in around $330,000.  He can speak in better detail as to exactly what that involves.

Mr. Cappello replied, we have in there that the lot itself is not in great shape. We resurfaced it about 7 years ago. As you can see, it is now cracked.  To resurface it again is to put another bandaid on it. We are looking at doing what we are doing on Glenview, Bonnieview and Beech Hill, do a cold in place recycling where they go in and grind about 6 inches down and inject it with some cyclogen to make it a thick nice pavement.  If there’s a really bad section, we can repair it.  That’s about a $70,000 item to do the entire lot. We would resurface it. We have new curbs going in, some islands, lighting.  The cost went up to about $330,000. That was with improvement.

ANY OTHER MATTERS

Mr. Saponaro asked if there were any other matters.

Mrs. Mills asked about the sewer gas smell at the community room. 

Mr. Metzung stated, if it’s by the main entry side door, it could be the grease trap needs to get cleaned out.  If you notice that, let me know.

Mr. Saponaro recommended that Safety and Service Committee start at 7:00 so that Finance can start at 7:15 so the Committee has enough time to discuss items prior to Caucus.

Mr. Marquardt asked, could we get an update to the budget with annotation as far as what the changes are in the next packet?

Mr. Wynne replied, yes.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 8:10 p.m.  The next Finance Committee meeting is scheduled for Monday, March 16, 2015 at 7:15 p.m. in the Main Conference Room. 

Respectfully submitted,

Mary E. Betsa, Clerk of Council