Finance Caucus: June 1st 2015

COMBINED MINUTES OF THE SAFETY AND SERVICE
AND FINANCE CAUCUS COMMITTEE
Mayfield Village Civic Hall
Monday, June 1, 2015 – 7:00 p.m.

The Safety and Service Committee met on Monday, June 1, 2015 in the Main Conference Room at Mayfield Village Civic Hall. The meeting was combined with Finance Caucus.  Mr. Marrie called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.

ROLL CALL:

Present: Mr. Marrie, Mr. Saponaro, Mr. Marquardt (7:20), Mr. Jerome, and Dr. Parker (7:45)

Also Present: Mrs. Mills, Mr. Wynne, Chief Carcioppolo, Chief Edelman, Mr. Metzung, Mr. DiNardo, Mr. Cappello, Mr. Thomas (7:15),Mr. Esborn, Ms. Wolgamuth, and Mrs. Betsa

ENGINEER:

  • Review of December 2014 Drainage Study for the Beta Drive, Wiley Detention Basin and Palermo Detention Basin Areas by Richard Wasosky from Euthenics, Inc. and Tom Cappello from Hovancsek & Associates

Mr. Marrie introduced Richard Wasosky, who along with Tom Cappello will be providing a presentation on the Palermo project.

Mr. Cappello stated, after the August 12th and 13th floods last year, we had Rich look at the entire Beta drainage. There’s two areas, a section that comes from 271 to Beecher’s Brook which heads through by Versaplex and goes by Georgian Center to SOM. The other section starts at 700 Beta by Hilton Garden Inn that comes to Preformed Line Products, 600 Beta. There’s a channel with some culverts that cross under 271. At this point, the sewers jump to a 48 inch all the way until we get to 6685 which is the Racquet Club and discharges into what used to be a creek before they expanded. There’s also a relief sewer put back in the 70’s, an alternate storm sewer to get to this point.

We looked at a bunch of different scenarios. We analyzed the system and pointed out the undersized sections. Because Wiley has a flooding issue, we removed the weir plate. By doing that, the pond doesn’t fill up as much now because it’s not restricted. We modified the weir plate at Palermo to the north.

There’s a bunch of scenarios Rich will go through. One would be potentially building a pond over here on Preformed Products’ property to intercept the drainage coming from under 271 and part of Beta. That was one scenario. We also looked at enlarging the pond here at the house we own, 596 SOM. That’s on tonight’s agenda. We got bids back to demo the house and expand this pond. We also looked at potentially expanding the pond further north. We own this corner property, 564 and then we were going to potentially look at expanding it to compensate for what reduced stormwater storage we had by moving the weir plate here at Wiley. That was because of the Racquet Club flooding. Rich also studied the Racquet Club and found that they do have some sewers in the back here that are undersized plus they have an illegal connection out to the creek here. The map everyone received is color coded showing potential alternates, we call it the Palermo super basin.

Wiley and Palermo were constructed because of the lawsuits down at the Metroparks, the Upper 40 pond that got damaged. The road overflowed and it ruined it. That’s why Buttermilk Falls was closed and is now a path. We did another improvement as part of this project back in 2003-2004. They modified the road and made step swales and put a trail in. The other alternate was in lieu of these, we propose potentially intercepting all this water, 271, the section of Beta to this point here in which we take the drainage totally out of this system and go up this way. Next to our new path, Premier’s property, up to here, go through the back of these properties, through Service and discharge into the ditch here and then modify the basins to get the storage needed to help prevent damage.

Mr. Jerome asked, how would it help if we do the existing Palermo expansion, if we added the property to the corner? Does it need all three?

Mr. Cappello replied, that’s a possibility. We would have to run the exact numbers to see if we can get it to work.

Mr. Jerome asked, does anything come down from the north?

Mr. Cappello replied, this system heads north.

Mr. Marrie asked, would the lower part be the primary source for the drainage and the overflow be the green and red up top?

Mr. Cappello replied, this gives some relief. We would need at least the green and then this blue and yellow.

Mr. Saponaro asked, if you are going to bypass with the red, what is going to be hitting the Wiley basin?

Mr. Cappello replied, the weir plate is removed. I don’t think there’s any talk about even putting a modified weir in. What would happen is there’s a certain chunk that comes from here. Now it will totally bypass this. This used to take 700, Preformed, across the street, CEI, Progressive claims, Hemingway, CEI’s service yard. Part of Hemingway that doesn’t drain through the creek is all taken out of the system. Plus at Euclid Industries, there’s a storm sewer that comes down here. You are getting all this to here. We would take all this away and bypass it. The amount that goes here is going to be a lot less. If you have the weir plate, it goes back to being less than it was even before we did the improvement because there was a channel here.

Mr. Saponaro asked, for the record, explain the weir plate.

Mr. Cappello explained, what you do in a detention pond is you have to come up with some sort of restriction to hold the water back. By removing the weir plate you let the water go back to its normal level of the channel. This was a drainage channel before it was expanded. Now we would even widen it more. It should take a lot less flow which would prevent flooding, especially if you intercept all this, it shouldn’t.

Mr. Marrie asked, would you need all four of those?

Mr. Cappello replied, we have to go through all the numbers to see. Before they removed the weir plate, we have to see what the combined discharge was to here.

Mrs. Mills asked, that’s the old Myatt house?

Mr. Cappello replied, yes. That’s coming down this year.

Mrs. Mills asked, isn’t that the natural watercourse to go along Whitehaven Cemetery over to the park?

Mr. Cappello replied, we did a channel improvement in the early 90’s. That made its way through here. We took that out. We are not looking at taking all this to take it. The main thing is to do this expansion and maybe do what’s here in green because we own it.

Mr. Jerome asked, does that make Wiley worthless in a sense?

Mr. Cappello replied, it’s not necessarily worthless totally. It won’t act like it did before.

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, it’s still taking the Police Department’s stormwater.

Mr. Cappello stated, you are taking a big chunk of what their problem was out of the picture.

Mr. Saponaro asked, what about farther south on SOM by Thornapple?

Mr. Cappello replied, here’s SOM Court, there’s a channel that comes from 271 across from Progressive that goes through here and comes this way. Here’s that big ditch. The trail came through here. The swale goes through here. There’s the waterfall. That’s Beecher’s Brook. This goes this way.

Mr. Saponaro asked, it doesn’t go to Beecher’s Brook?

Mr. Cappello replied, no. Maybe you might get some of the flow this way. Definitely a lot of 700 goes this way. Not all of it because some of it goes back to here. Definitely Preformed, CEI service yard with all that impervious area. This is Progressive Claims. You have 600 Beta, Mayfran, Euclid Industries and this is CEI’s testing lab. There’s a lot of pavement there. This is where we were talking about putting another pond. The problem here is you have a gas well here too. He doesn’t want to touch any of these trees. To get this, you are going to be paying prime dollar. I think it’s a better design if we can run that relief sewer.

Mr. Saponaro stated, the way the topography is, you can’t put it over to Beecher’s Brook.

Mr. Cappello agreed. You have to be very careful about taking water from one watercourse to another. If you look at the high and the low, the topography goes towards Beta. As you dig back here, I might dig three or four feet here, but to make this level, I might be digging 10-12 feet here to get only four foot of storage.

Mr. Saponaro stated, that doesn’t even make sense.

Mr. Cappello stated, we looked at it as a potential.

Mr. Saponaro stated, that was my thought process in terms of are we diverting more towards Beecher’s Brook and you can’t divert, it has to follow its natural course.

Mr. Cappello agreed. You have to be real careful about it not doing that because it would cause erosion. It’s best not to cross watercourses if possible.

Mr. Saponaro stated, so the water is going where it automatically goes. You are just helping it and it’s not flooding the areas in the process.

Mr. Cappello showed Whitehaven. It went through here to Timberline through here and it makes its way to the Upper 40 and there’s a pond over here and Buttermilk Falls. The water used to go through there and it destroyed the roadside edges. That was a big lawsuit back in the 80’s.

Mr. Saponaro stated, where the water is going now though-

Mr. Cappello stated, it still goes there. Now by building Wiley and Palermo we have helped that system. Now that you are taking Wiley out, we really need to do something to get back to that equilibrium that we had prior to moving the weir plate.

Mr. Jerome stated, currently the Palermo basin to me is not aesthetic. What’s that going to look like from the road?

Mr. Cappello replied, it’s just going to be expanded. Wetlands don’t necessarily look beautiful.

Mr. Jerome stated, this is on the side of the road. It’s always bugged me.

Mr. Marrie asked, any other questions?

Mr. Cappello asked, Rich, do you want to elaborate on anything?

Mr. Wasosky referred to the first slide. The system down here, this section of the roadway, that piping is quite a bit undersized but it’s really not a cause of the flooding down through this area here. By putting this relief sewer up here, all you are going to have going through Wiley is this relief sewer pipe put in a few years ago, the 36 inch pipe that services these areas and the tennis courts going into that and the properties around here. By expanding Palermo, this lowers the water surface below what it was when you just had the ditch there. The Racquet Club has a better condition than they have ever had. They still have a problem because they have an illegal connection. They have a floor drain that ties into the stormsewer system. There’s a little pump station on the north side of the building where the floor drain goes into the pump station and it pumps it out into the creek. That’s a major EPA violation.

Mr. Jerome asked, is that where their water came in from?

Mr. Wasosky replied, that’s one of the places. There’s several problems with their water. That’s a major one, coming back through there. Secondly, since this sewer is undersized, it backs up through their whole sewer system in their front yard and comes in there.

Mr. Cappello stated, the last time they had the flooding, they had to pave the surface and pave their new courts. To get the machine in there, you can’t go through a door. They actually had to build an overhead door. They had a depressed dock which goes down.

Mr. Marquardt asked, if it pumps up, how would the floor drain back up?

Mr. Wasosky replied, there’s no backflow preventer on it.

Mr. Marquardt asked, but it pumps up. Did the water come up?

Mr. Wasosky replied, that pipe goes from this pump station. There’s a catchbasin in the corner that goes in a piping system that goes to the ditch. That whole pipe backed up. If the pipe was this high, the pressure in the water was way up here. It backed through that drain to the manhole where the pump is and there’s drains coming in without backflow preventers. So this backs up right through there. That’s a fairly easy correction, but there’s a sanitary sewer pipe in the building. They have to pump it up into that sanitary sewer pipe which actually sits along the wall of the building. Their underdrains are another problem in their stairwells. They had backflow preventers on it. We don’t know if they were working that day. These are notorious for failing. If they were working, what happens is no water can get out of that. So when it gets into the stairwells, it has nowhere to go except through that door. The doors were in pretty poor shape down there. Water went through the bottom of the door. The wall was rusted pretty badly. By eliminating the usage of this basin by taking this flow out, you won’t have all this water backing up into their system. The only problem you will have is if they don’t disconnect this floor drain here because their pipe along the northern part of their property is undersized no matter what you do down here. You can get Niagara Falls down there and that pipe isn’t going to work. It has to be replaced the way it stands now. Up in here ideally the first thing you want to do which is what I think you are going to be doing now is the yellow, expanding this. My thoughts on wetland retention basins is they are just ugly and you can’t do anything about it. I have seen one in my entire life that looked presentable. That was in Hudson where they have a full-time person basically maintaining this to try and make it look decent.

Mr. Jerome stated, there’s trees in it so eventually they will grow.

Mr. Wasosky stated, the trees don’t make any difference as far as storage on it. They are leaf gardens as far as I am concerned. When we put this expansion here with the yellow section, it might help, but you still have more flow going downstream into the Metroparks than you did with this not being in operation. You have to expand this more. Ideally what we would look at would be just going straight north to the next property. You are in a unique situation that you own this property up here and there’s houses on at least two properties so you are looking at going sort of in reverse and try to work from your property, expand that with an equalization pipe connecting the two and then just keep going down. Depending on what the Metroparks will accept as their flow, I am assuming the Metroparks is going to want no more additional flow than they had with the Wiley and original Palermo. If they accept that, it definitely won’t be as big as this purple basin. It would be somewhere between probably the green and maybe a little bit extra.

Before any of this is designed, you need a firm commitment from the Metroparks on exactly what they will accept. That’s basically it. We looked at some alternates of increasing the size of this main pipe here all the way up to the basin and just passing it through the basin that way.

Mr. Cappello stated, Beta is chocked full of facilities, gas lines, fiber, AT&T. To replace that sewer and upsize it would have been difficult. I personally like the relief sewer.

Mr. Marrie thanked Tom and Rich.

BID RESULTS:

  • SOM Center Road Sidewalk Project
  • Palermo Pond Expansion Phase I Project
  • 734 SOM Building Demo and Improvement

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, Tom and I were hoping to walk through the SOM Center Sidewalk design. Do you want to wait until the Finance meeting?

Mr. Marrie replied, yes.

Mr. Saponaro suggested that Safety and Service and Finance be combined.

Mr. Jerome asked, was there anything on Safety and Service that was not on Finance?

Mrs. Betsa stated, yes, the Service Department item.

SERVICE DEPARTMENT:

  • Purchase of new 4x4 utility vehicle

Mr. Metzung reported, the Service Department is looking to replace one of our gators, 4x4 small utility vehicle. Presently we own a 1998 and 2006 unit. We are looking to replace one of those with a new unit. It is in the budget. We have $15,000 budgeted. I don’t have an exact cost. We are working on the details but it will be under that amount.

Mr. Marrie stated, okay. Bring it to Finance when you do get it.

Mr. Saponaro stated, Safety and Service will continue and Finance will be included as a combined meeting.

2. Authorization for the summer salt fill to Morton Salt for 1,200 tons at $80.06.

Mr. Saponaro stated, this was discussed previously. We agreed to the program. The bid came in at $80.06 a ton for 1200 tons.

Mr. Metzung passed around a map of the State of Ohio with the bid results for each region.

Mr. Saponaro asked that it be attached to the Minutes. It shows each County and what price per ton was awarded for the summer salt program.

Mr. Metzung stated, it became official today.

Mr. Jerome asked, what did we pay in the winter? Is it common for the summer program to be more?

Mr. Metzung replied, last year it was cheaper in the summer than in the winter.

Mr. Jerome asked, since we have the two bins now, there’s no way of getting all of it at one time?

Mr. Metzung replied, we can’t do it all at once.

Mr. Saponaro stated, per the program, correct?

Mr. Metzung replied, right. When we authorized the program, we gave them an amount. We do basically the same thing in the winter. We can fit about 1500. We usually do about 2500 for the year.

Mr. Marquardt asked, how does Ashtabula get off at $65?

Mr. Metzung replied, I can’t answer that. It all comes out of Fairport. Trucking costs are added in too.

Mr. Saponaro thanked Doug for the information.

3. Purchase of ice machine for the Fire Department.

8. Purchase of windows for the Fire Department (Window Universe - $11,967.00)

Mr. Saponaro stated to Chief Carcioppolo, you were very detailed in your reports.

Mr. Jerome asked, did we get the old ice machine from a hotel?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, I don’t know the origin. The original ice bin itself that the ice is stored in is, I don’t know how old that is. I was able to track the ice cubing machine based off of the serial number as being shipped to us in 2006. We have been repairing things on it.

Mr. Jerome asked, this isn’t just something we are using for parties? You guys actually use this?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, we use it. We are not the only ones who use it. There are other departments that use it. Right now we don’t have a working ice machine. It started breaking a lot last year. This new one I recommended rotates the bin of ice and keeps bacteria down. No hands go inside of it.

Mr. Jerome asked, will there be a lot more maintenance in the future because it has more moving parts?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, it’s new.

Mr. Saponaro stated, this has been budgeted. What about the windows?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, for the ice machine, the $7,850 is $850 over what I had budgeted. The windows were budgeted for $60,000. There’s a wide range of windows.

Mr. Saponaro asked, but you budgeted for the windows?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, yes.

Mr. Saponaro stated, the question is, do we go with what we have now which is the wood window versus the replacement type window?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, I tried to have all the window vendors match with the simulated mutton bars and the same colonial grid we have. The only difference is you are going to see white vinyl on the outside.

Mr. Saponaro asked, Ron, have you weighed in on this at all?

Mr. DiNardo replied, no, but I was going to.

Mr. Saponaro asked, can you guys have a conversation on this and come back based on your opinion Ron? From an architectural and structural standpoint? There may be cost savings, but is it a cost savings down the road? How about efficiencies?

Chief Carcioppolo replied, I can tell you with the efficiencies, pretty much all those windows met the 2015 energy requirements. All of them are way more efficient than what we have now. We don’t even have thermal panes right now.

Mr. Saponaro stated, okay, let’s do that.

Mr. DiNardo stated, not always the lowest price is the best.

Mr. Jerome stated, and not always the highest price is the best.

Mr. DiNardo replied, right. So we have to look at it.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, I based my recommendation off the warranties provided.

Mr. Saponaro stated, have a dialogue with Ron. Maybe that may change. Come back with a recommendation.

Chief Carcioppolo stated, I would recommend Andersons.

Mr. DiNardo stated, we will have to look at the quality. You are going to have to get sample windows and we will have to look at it.

Mr. Saponaro stated, okay. Go ahead and do that.

4. Agreement for Boarding of Prisoners with Geauga County.

Chief Edelman reported, Bedford Heights Jail closed. Cuyahoga County is only taking post-sentence prisoners. They have been to trial and been sentenced. We need a place to put them.

Mr. Saponaro asked, do you have concerns with Geauga County?

Chief Edelman replied, no. They are a full-service jail. They have their own infirmary. That will cut down on our ambulance cost if we have to take them to the hospital. They are medically evaluated before they even call the squad.

Mr. Saponaro asked, they are on 44?

Chief Edelman replied, yes.

Mr. Marrie asked, do you need this right away?

Chief Edelman replied, I can wait until the regular Council meeting. I wouldn’t go past that.

Mr. Jerome asked, what other costs are involved?

Chief Edelman replied, it’s $75 a day. It’s the same as we have been paying.

Mr. Jerome asked, is there a cost of getting the prisoner there?

Chief Edelman replied, sure.

Mr. Jerome asked, is this place twice as far as the other place?

Mr. Marrie stated, but they have their own infirmary. That helps.

Chief Edelman replied, it’s the cost of doing business. You have to take them somewhere.

Mr. Saponaro stated, they run a good facility.

Mr. Jerome asked, what is Gates Mills doing?

Chief Edelman replied, they are going there also.

Mr. Saponaro stated, what other information you may have we can discuss at the Finance Committee meeting. We will make sure to put it on the agenda for the Council meeting.

Chief Edelman stated, the Law Department has been working on the contract.

Mr. Saponaro stated, we have seen the revised one that has been blacklined.

Mr. Jerome asked, would it be better in the future if we send people to Cuyahoga County?

Chief Edelman asked, what do you mean by better? It’s our own county, so if they ever come to an agreement and say, okay, we will take your prisoners, sure, we will have to go there. If and when that ever comes.

Mr. Saponaro stated, there’s been a disparagement between treatment of prisoners at Cuyahoga County versus Geauga County. It seems to me that this is the best for a lot of situations, especially with the infirmary. They run a nice facility there.

1. Update on Road Program Survey

Ms. Wolgamuth provided a memo on the road widening survey. The only change from that is I received one call. We left fliers at homes where no one was home. I thought we would get more calls. I got one call today. It was also a no. That changes the percentage to 53% no and 36% yes. It was pretty consistent in the reasoning. People in favor were consistent in why and the people opposed were consistent in why. There will be some people at Caucus this evening to express their opinion who feel strongly one way or the other.

Mr. Jerome asked, are there things we can do to make it better at the intersections coming off SOM?

Mr. Cappello replied, the intersections off SOM are wider. They are curved to a certain point in. That’s already been done.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, there’s really not a decision to be made except that Tom needs direction to go to bid.

Mr. Cappello stated, it’s getting to a point where this may be a two-construction season job because of the timing.

Mr. Saponaro stated, this is something we need to discuss.

Mr. Cappello stated, I would hopefully like to hear something soon.

Mr. Saponaro stated, the purpose was to go out to the citizens, poll them, get their feeling on it and then from that standpoint make a decision based on that. We get the results back and it’s pretty clear that the majority are saying no, that they don’t want the road widened.

Mrs. Mills stated, I had a call from someone down in the middle of the block. They are concerned about where you are putting all the utilities, the waterline and that.

Mr. Cappello asked, on Glenview?

Mrs. Mills replied, yes.

Mr. Cappello replied, we are going to keep the waterline at the same spot. It will be on the north side where it is today.

Mr. Marrie stated, I visited Prosen. He was concerned he would lose 50 trees.

Mr. Cappello stated, normally Cleveland Water would like it out of the pavement. They have undergone some restructuring. I talked to the engineer. We had utility poles on the same waterline and gas lines. I am fighting that. I am trying to keep it on the north. He told me to put it back where it is, we have no problem with that. We have a little extra cost for a temporary water main, but it might offset by the fact we are not cutting trees down.

Mr. Marrie complimented Tom for working it out.

Mr. Saponaro stated, we will either determine if it should be recommended for approval or not. It will either go to the floor of Council or it doesn’t need to.

Mr. Marrie stated, at least hear it out this evening.

Mr. Saponaro agreed. We will wait to hear the comments. Most of the people have spoken. Thank you Diane.

7. Bid Results: 734 SOM Building Demo and Improvement

Mr. Cappello reported, this is the old ODOT garage. We would demo the building, the shed, rework some topography, move some pavement. We estimated around $75,000. It came in at $58,000. The contractor was the one who did across the street. We recommend them to go ahead.

Mr. Saponaro asked, the contractor is Baumann Enterprises?

Mr. Cappello replied, yes.

6. Bid Results: Palermo Pond Expansion Phase I Project

Mr. Cappello stated, we talked about this this evening. That one was Tuscon, who is in the New Philadelphia, Dover area. I checked their references. They are good. There’s no reason to not take them.

Mr. Saponaro asked, they came in at $126,000. We estimated $150,000. Right now, if we are doing the proposed relief stormsewer –

Mr. Cappello stated, right now Phase I just makes this bigger. No relief sewer. Just the yellow.

Mr. Saponaro stated, what that does is just what is incorporated in yellow.

Mr. Marrie asked, you are happy with Tuscon?

Mr. Cappello replied, I called other municipalities. They are happy with the work Tuscon has done for them.

5. Bid Results: SOM Center Road Sidewalk Project

Ms. Wolgamuth handed out copies of the design. We can walk through it quickly. The first slide is the entire project. The sidewalk curves mainly because we are avoiding the existing trees and utility poles. The Village owns a lot of the properties along this stretch so we can get a little more buffer between SOM and the sidewalk making it safer.

Mr. Cappello stated, there’s only about 10 ½ -11 feet between the curb and right of way. It’s a five foot walk. You have power poles and hydrants and trees.

Ms. Wolgamuth continued, that’s the overall picture. We can go quickly through each slide.

Mr. Cappello stated, here’s the fire station. Here’s the end of the Greenway Trail. We will be meandering this walk to head north. These aprons need to be replaced because there should be a 2% grade across the walk. Come through here. Some trees are going to get removed. There’s always the plan to plant more. This apron needed to be removed. Continue north through here. This is Murphy and the ODOT driveway. We continue here to the Georgian Center up through here and head toward Fisher’s. They have to modify their sign a little bit. We come through here to the old Faulkner property south of Beecher’s Brook and SOM Court. We come up here and make it a feature.

Mr. Jerome asked, is Fisher’s in the right of way?

Mr. Cappello replied, just their sign.

Mr. Marrie stated, they had permission to do that.

Ms. Wolgamuth showed a rendering of how it would work at Fisher’s.

Dr. Parker asked, is that just a visual I am seeing?

Mr. Cappello replied, it’s perspective. We come up through here. We would give it more character. These are seating walls with pavers so people can sit down. You are close to Fisher’s here too. As you head north, this is an extension of a retaining wall you see on SOM. There will be a railing here. It’s an outlook. You can see the ravine now. Continue north. This is the big 10 foot culvert. We parallel the wall out there and head north towards SOM Court. People will have the opportunity to walk down for access to the underpass to SOM Court.

Mr. Marrie asked, the connection to the underpass will be part of this project?

Mr. Cappello replied, yes.

Dr. Parker stated, more people will probably be using that. Will there be anything in terms of lighting or drainage? We have had some issues in the past.

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, we have built into this year’s budget lighting and cameras in the tunnels. Lighting is going to be first because the cameras won’t be able to see without it. It’s something we are working on.

Mr. Cappello continued, they cross SOM Court and come up here. There are two seating areas. This is the biggest easement from Mt. Vernon. We come through here. Here’s our sign. It’s a little of a hill. Go through here. You have this connector to their parking lot. Continue north through here. This section here is station 22 on to Beta. You have people from Beta and there’s a sidewalk on both sides. If they want to they can come this way, walk all the way through here, go up to the trail at the fire station and walk through a big loop if they want to, vice-versa. That’s basically it. Here’s a sidewalk. These little arch sections. This is the seating wall. There’s about an 18 inch high wall. It’s aesthetic with a limestone cap. Here’s a paver and here’s a sidewalk. They can sit down and eat their lunch. This wall here is an extension of the existing retaining wall. The creek is down here. This slope is pretty steep. This wall is more structural. You will have a pillar on the end. This is the existing wall. You will see an existing wall and then this pillar and the railing mimics the railing on the other side of SOM, the east side by the falls. Everything will look similar.

Mr. Cappello showed the concept picture of the retaining wall. The ravine goes way down here. This is the walk that is parallel to SOM.

Mr. Jerome asked, this is higher than the budget, but the other two projects were low?

Mr. Cappello replied, yes.

Mr. Wynne replied, the budget is $225,000 all in with your fees. What’s the all in on this one?

Mr. Cappello replied, $294,000 then the engineering and inspections. We are probably all in $320,000-325,000 depending on how it goes.

Mr. Saponaro asked, but we have the other two projects which are how much under?

Mr. Cappello replied, about $41,000 ballpark.

Mr. Jerome replied, they are the only ones that bid it.

Mr. Cappello stated, I was worried about whether the number was a good number. The bid opening was at 10:00. At 10:20 I received a call from the contractor who did the parking lot out here. He told me what his bid number would have been. He would have beat this guy by only $500.

  • Curbside collection of soft recyclables (Simple Recycling)

This item was on the Safety and Service agenda. Ms. Wolgamuth reported, a memo was prepared on this. It’s mostly clothing, textiles, bedding, towels, sheets, shoes, belts, all those kinds of things. This is an attempt to keep them out of the landfills. It’s a free service. They will pay us $20 a ton. It would be scheduled on the same day as garbage collection. This is a sample of the bags they would provide to each household. Every time you use a bag they would leave another bag.

Mr. Marquardt asked, have you checked with the local churches who have these kinds of things?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, I have not checked with them. I asked this gentleman about that. I asked how it would affect Goodwill or Purple Heart and he said those groups exist and have existed for many many years and even so 85% of these kinds of materials end up in the landfill. It’s a statistic they provided. I think it’s the convenience of curbside versus people actually having to take it somewhere.

Mr. Jerome stated, again, there’s a lot of items they won’t take.

Mr. Marrie stated, every church has one.

Mr. Saponaro stated, the other side of that is you still have a choice. It’s not like you have to. If you want to bring it to the church, bring it to the church or wherever else.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, I have it out in Medina by me. They will do a fundraiser with schools where they will actually collect these kinds of materials from the schools. They would work with the Mayfield Schools too.

Mr. Jerome asked, are we going to send a description to residents?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, yes, they would do the mailing.

Mr. Jerome asked, businesses too?

Ms. Wolgamuth replied, we don’t do garbage collection for the businesses so I would think not, but I am not sure.

Mr. Saponaro stated, we could put this in the Voice of the Village.

Ms. Wolgamuth stated, if we decided to go with this, we probably would not roll it out until maybe September. That would give us time to do mailings, agreements, and get the word out.

Mr. Saponaro asked, any other matters? There were none.

There being no further business, the combined meeting of the Safety and Service and Finance Caucus adjourned at 7:40 p.m. The next Finance Committee meeting is scheduled for Monday, June 15, 2015 at 7:30 p.m. in the Main Conference Room.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary E. Betsa, CMC
Clerk of Council