Activities - November 15th 2016
Mayfield Village Activities Committee Meeting
Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 6:45 p.m.
Attending: Mary Ann Brastoff, Jean Britton, Mary Alice Chandramouli, Patti Fioritto, Terrie Haycox, Dona Kless, Patsy Mills, Mary Singer, and Debbie Thomas
Also Present: Steve Jerome, Bill Thomas, and Danielle Echt
Absent: Chris Barni, Diane Catalano, Randy Hyde, Ron Lew, Elliot Ross, Nona Stella, and Edie Wohlgang
Introduction: Mary called the meeting to order at approximately 6:50 p.m. Patti made a motion to accept the September 20, 2016 Minutes as written. Dona seconded. All in attendance agreed. A volunteer sign-up sheet for winter holiday events was passed around.
Tree Lighting (Sunday, December 4, 7:00 p.m., Gazebo)
- Debbie said the Center School Choir is set; she has already been in contact with Becky Hall.
- The committee members asked if the Community Room would be open for people to use the bathrooms. Debbie said the choir goes in there to warm up. The committee members agreed that it was not a good idea to have the entire building open. They suggested if there are not locking doors leading into the kitchen, then a table could be used to block off the hallway by the coat rack. That way there is just access to bathrooms. Note: After the meeting it was determined that there are doors to the hallway that can be locked.
- The committee members discussed having donuts and hot chocolate. As always, they agreed that sprinkle donuts were always popular. Last year we ran out of hot chocolate. The committee thought two cambros were used for hot chocolate and one for coffee. Steve suggested if there were three cambros then use those for hot cocoa and one of the coffee pots for the coffee. The committee members thought that was a good idea. The committee members discussed if donuts should be given out before the choir sings. Last year everyone began eating them upon arrival and they went through them pretty fast. The members agreed to have them ready in the beginning and not limit the time people could eat donuts. Danielle said it might be a good idea to save a box or so for the choir because they don’t eat before they sing.
Singing Angels (Saturday, December 10, 7:00 p.m., Civic Center)
- Danielle said she will contact the Angels for a list of songs so she could prepare the program. She said other than that, they are all set for the performance.
- Debbie said that 21 tickets were sold to date.
- Patsy asked what time volunteers needed to arrive. Danielle said the ticket booth opens at 6:00 p.m. so just before that would be fine. The doors for the concert open at 6:35 p.m.
Menorah Lighting Ceremony (Monday, December 26, 7:00 p.m. near Gazebo/Community Room)
- Patsy said she is all set with decorations and will just need the hot chocolate and coffee. She also mentioned that she saw Michael Wolfe and he will be at the ceremony as well to coordinate the event again.
- Patsy suggested keeping everything in the kitchen of the Community Room and she asked if the doors locked to the main room. She said tables would need to be set up in the kitchen area. Steve said there are parties all the time in the room so it should be okay to have the donuts and refreshments for the ceremony in there. The tables should already be set up in the room. Monday, December 26 is a holiday for Mayfield Village employees so Bill said he would check with the Service Department to see how setup and cleanup would work.
- Bill said that Beth Stickley approached him because they want to hold a Winter Solstice event at The Grove on Friday, December 23. They would like to have hot chocolate and roast marshmallows. There would also be guided walks along the Wetlands trail. Bill said that day is another Mayfield Village employee holiday but he plans on being there. He asked if any Activities Committee members were available to volunteer. Danielle said she would also send an email out to the committee within the next few weeks. Patsy said the event used to be held at the pavilion and they served hot dogs. The pavilion might be a good location if the weather is not ideal to be at The Grove.
- Bill said there is a grant available for The Grove. He said the shell is earmarked for $50,000 and will be built in 2017. The green room and storage room could also secure $50,000 in grant money and that would be constructed in 2018. Bill also mentioned that Rick Hall has created another great video for The Grove and it is available on the Mayfield Village website.
- Bill also reported that the Village was awarded $91,000 from the Natureworks Grant. This money will be used towards the tennis courts.
The meeting concluded at approximately 7:27 p.m.
Next Meeting: Tuesday, February 7, 6:45 p.m., Civic Center