Records - April 13th 2016

Records Commission Meeting
Wednesday, April 13, 2016
12:00 p.m.
Mayfield Village Civic Center

Attending: Mary Beth Betsa, Mayor Bodnar, Marjorie Comella, Cheryl Garinger, Mark Guidetti, Donna Heath,  Susan Jerome, Suzanne McCann, Maura McKinley, Patsy Mills, Jean Vitek and Danielle Echt.

Introduction: Jean called the meeting to order at approximately 12:27 p.m.  Cheryl made a motion to accept the February 17, 2016 Minutes as written.  Susan seconded.  All in attendance approved.

Revisions to Records Retention Schedules

  • Mary Beth reported that all Record Retention Schedules were completed and are ready for Jean to sign. They will be forwarded to the Ohio Historical Society for review and approval.  Mary Beth will get copies to each department.

Off-site Storage Update

  • Mary Beth reported for Laurie that Access picked up 29 boxes recently and now there are 8 more ready. They will be here next week.
  • Susan said she still has some boxes at the Service Department but she isn’t sure if they can be shredded. Susan will resend Mary Beth the list to forward to the Law Department.

Public Records Policy Revisions

  • There were no needed revisions.

Records Disposition Forms

  • Mary Beth reported that Donna has boxes for destruction. Mary Beth and Mark will look at the flu shot records and a determination will be made if they can be destroyed.  
  • The Police Department and Civil Service also has some records ready to be shred under the schedule.   Mark made a motion.  Cheryl seconded. All in attendance approved.

Legislative Updates

  • Mark said there are no updates right now.  He said there may be a case pending involving body/dash cameras with another municipality and it is now with the Supreme Court.

Public Records Request

  • Mark reported that there are a variety of requests that came in and most have been taken care of. He is working on one plus there is one that is ongoing with another attorney.

Shred Day-May 14, 2016, 9:00 a.m. – Noon

  • Mary Beth said everything is set and that they will just need some cones from the Service Department. Danielle said that the Recreation Department just got new cones and they could use them. 
  • Susan asked if an employee from the Service Department would be needed. Mary Beth said no.
  • Mary Beth, Laurie, Patsy and Maura will be at the event to keep tally and help residents unload their documents.

House Bill 9 Training-May 27, 2016, 10:00 a.m.- 1:15 p.m.

  • Mary Beth asked committee members to let her know if they plan on attending and she will register them. Mary Beth said the speaker is great.   Jean asked Mary Beth to register her.   Marge said that she has already registered and received confirmation.  
  • Susan took the online training and said it was good. The committee members asked Mary Beth to send the link to them again.

Electronic Records

  • No updates

Open Discussion

  • Mary Beth said she has an updated Public Records Handbook and signage that she would like the Law Department to review and approve. The most current copy that each office should have is from July 20, 2011.   Patsy asked if Council can see the updated handbook after it is approved.   Mary Beth said yes.  Mark said legislation isn’t needed and that it can be shared.  Mary Beth also mentioned it can be viewed on the website or in each department.  Mary Beth said she will also get all updates to Jeff so it can be put on the website.  Mary Beth reminded everyone to have the public records policy sign posted in their department.  Mark said the old copies can be shredded.
  • Everyone thanked Mayor Bodnar and the Village for lunch. It was provided because of Administrative Professional Day in April.
  • The meeting concluded at 12:48 p.m.

Next Meeting:  Wednesday, June 8, 2016, 12:00 p.m. at Wiley Park
(if weather is not cooperative, then it will be at the Civic Center)