Records - March 6th 2013
Records Commission Meeting
Wednesday, March 6, 2013 - 12:00 p.m.
Mayfield Village Civic Center
Attending: Mary Beth Betsa, Diane Calta, Vida Hauptman, Donna Heath, Susan Jerome, Patsy Mills, Nancy Plastine, Janice Reale, Jean Vitek and Danielle Echt.
Introduction: The meeting was called to order at approximately 12:32 p.m. Patsy nominated Nancy to chair the committee. Maura seconded. All members in attendance agreed and Nancy accepted. Nancy asked for approval of the November 14, 2012 Minutes. Janice made a motion to approve them and Susan seconded. All in attendance approved.
Revisions to Records Retention Schedules
- Mary Beth distributed the respective records schedules for each department representative for their review and return for inputting.
- Mary Beth reported that due to recent statutory changes affecting prior, current and future individuals hired as independent contractors, or other classifications for which no retirement contributions were or will be made to OPERS, OPERS has required that independent contractor acknowledgement forms be completed by vendors and returned to the Village for submission to OPERS. Copies must be retained in our office permanently. The form will be included on the revised Records Schedule.
If the vendor feels they should be classified as a public employee, they were also advised to complete the additional enclosed Notice of Right and Request for Determination for OPERS membership. This form should be submitted directly to OPERS.
Off-site Storage Update
- Janice said that she had to retrieve a few boxes recently. Cintas delivered the boxes next day. Janice said that employees can go online and request retrieval but they need to let her know.
- Mayfield Village has items for Cintas to shred during Shred Day.
- Saturday, May 18, 2013 from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Public Records Policy Revisions
- Diane reported that there were none.
Status of Public Records Requests
- Mary Beth reminded everyone that if a request is received, notify her and the Law Department immediately.
- Diane said there are not any current requests. She said there was one from South Euclid for information about the Law Department which was handled. Mary Beth added that there was also one from South Euclid requesting information on the referendum filed on the Library. There was also a request for merchant transactions for the last three months.
- Someone requested information to see if there were any positions available at the Police Department. Diane said that it probably was not an official public records request and referred the correspondence to the Police Chief for his response.
Legislative Updates & Electronic Records
- Diane said she did not have any updates.
- Diane said that she has been collecting questions from people on things like social media so she will put information and answers together in a memo and get it out to everyone before the next meeting.
- Mary Beth said the December seminar that a lot of members attended at Highland Heights was good. She will keep everyone posted if others come up. She has handouts from the seminar if anyone wants a copy.
- Mary Beth said anyone can take the webinar for Managing Records, just contact her if interested.
- Mary Beth said she is involved with several organizations (ARMA and IMMC) which have publications available for print. She said she will be starting a library for these documents. Anyone is welcome to review them.
- House Bill 9 Training is scheduled for May 24, 9:00 a.m. – 1:15 p.m. at the Civic Center. Contact Mary Beth if interested in attending.
- Mary Beth is making a public records presentation at Reserve Hall on Thursday, March 21 from Noon – 2:30 p.m. It is sponsored by the Northeast Ohio Municipal Clerks and the Institute for International Municipal Clerks.
- The meeting concluded at 1:04 p.m.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, April 24, 2013, 12:00 p.m. Civic Center
Danielle M. Echt