Rec Board: February 15th 2017

Mayfield Village Parks and Recreation Board Meeting
Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 7:00 p.m.
Mayfield Village Civic Center

Present:  Pat Andrzejczyk, Aaron Caunter, Stivo DiFranco, Patti Fioritto, Troy Koch, Tom Marrie, Mary Murphy, Laura Prcela, Meg Stifler

Also PresentSara Calo, Steve Jerome, Garry Regan, Phil Stella, Shane McAvinew and Bill Thomas

Absent:  Shelly Kovacevic, Derek McDowell, Peggy Kerver, Lori Sperling, Pam Schutt, Kate Sullivan

Introduction:  Meg called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.  Stivo made a motion to approve the January 25, 2017 Minutes as written and Patti seconded.   All committee members agreed.    Sara said she is interested in joining the committee.  Danielle will let administration know so she can be sworn in.  Shane said that he and Danielle attended the Ohio Parks and Recreation Association State Conference.    Bill received the Lifetime Achievement Award during the conference.

Senior Program Updates

  • There is one AARP tax appointment available for April 3 at 2:00 p.m. Residents should call the Senior Services Office to make an appointment.
  • The next Community Partnership on Aging Lunch n’ Movie will be Wednesday, April 5. The cost is $5 and reservations must be made by the week before by calling CPA.
  • The March foot clinics will be on the 3rd and 24th at the Civic Center. The cost is $20.
  • The March Lunch & Movie at Governor’s Village is on Wednesday, March 15 and the movie is “Fried Green Tomatoes.” The cost is $5 and reservations must be made by the week before by calling Senior Services.
  • The next trip is March 22 to the Rain Forest.
  • There will be a special program regarding NOPEC on Wednesday, March 29 at 1 p.m. at the Community Room.
  • The next Senior Services newsletter (for March, April, and May) will be mailed the last week of February.
  • On behalf of the Commission on Aging members, Donna extended congratulations to Bill Thomas on the occasion of his retirement and to welcome his replacement Shane McAvinew.

Easter Party Planning/Discussion (Saturday, April 8, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m., Community Room)

  • The committee members agreed that the party needs to be marketed so people know the time and location change. They suggested the Spring VOV.   
  • The committee members will look at the Community Room before the event to figure out where to put the Easter Bunny and how to decorate the room. The room is available on the Friday before the party so everything can be set up that evening.   The Recreation Department will check on decoration guidelines and let the committee know at the next Recreation Board meeting.
  • The balloon twister has been secured and Rick Smith Junior will have a magician there as well. Rick was able to price match with another magician’s quote.  
  • The craft, Easter eggs and decorations have been ordered. Volunteers are set and more are always welcome.  
  • The committee members agreed on lemonade or apple juice instead of fruit punch.
  • The Fire Engine and some of the Fire Department Staff will be at the party.

Debbie Hudacko Walk/Run and Scholarship Interview Discussion

  • The walk/run will be tied into the Fitness at The Grove event on August 5.
  • Sara and Kate agreed to conduct interviews. A third Recreation Board member is needed.  Danielle will find out when the interview date is and let everyone know.

The Grove Discussion

  • The committee members were able to read the letter the Mayor prepared on incorporating The Grove Committee into the Recreation Board. The Grove Committee members were happy with the integration.
  • Phil commented that there are now three venues for events: The Grove, the gazebo and the Civic Center.
  • Garry said that due to all the time he has put into The Grove over the years, if he stayed as the head of The Grove, he would have wanted compensation. The contract to hire Garry is being voted on by Council.  Gary gave a report on some of the bands and events that have been booked for the 2017 season.

Open Discussion

  • Shane talked about expanding summer concerts at the gazebo. He said the Village will be offering Wednesday lunch time concerts.  Phil said we don’t need big 15 piece bands when only 100 people or so are in attendance.    Shane said that he is looking at bringing in a local restaurant to provide food and beer at the Thursday evening concerts.   He hopes the summer concert attendance grows.   Shane said the best advertising is the committees spreading the word.
  • Steve suggested free admission to Parkview Pool for Mayfield Village residents during the Fourth of July celebration.

Next Meeting: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 7:00 p.m. at the Civic Center