Rec Board - January 20th 2016
Mayfield Village Parks and Recreation Board Meeting
Wednesday, January 20, 2016, 7:00 p.m.
Mayfield Village Civic Center
Attending: Stivo DiFranco, Peggy Kerver, Troy Koch, Tom Marrie, Derek McDowell, Mary Murphy, Dave Perout, Pam Schutt, Lori Sperling, Meg Stifler, Sean Supler, Bill Thomas and Danielle Echt.
Also in Attendance: Deena Akas, Rima Azmeh, Aaron Caunter, Patti Fiorrito, Terrie Haycox and Laura Prcela.
Introduction: Meg called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m. Mary made a motion to approve the November 11, 2015 Minutes as written and Tom seconded. All committee members agreed. Introductions were made. Meg circulated a sign-up sheet for volunteers for the holiday parties that the Recreation Board coordinates.
Senior Program Updates
- The next CPA Lunch n’ Movie is Wednesday, February 10—“The Intern.”
- Stacey O’Brien of Community Partnership on Aging hosted a Lunch n’ Learn for 30 people about “Aging in Place” on January 15.
- We have received 225 snow removal applications for single driveways and 23 for circular driveways. 130 applications to opt out of snow removal were received.
- Harbor Light Hospice will be hosting a free Bingo on January 20.
- Governor’s Village hosted a Lunch and a Movie on January 20.
- The Watercolor and Knitting/Crocheting classes are going forward.
- Volunteers from AARP will be preparing tax returns for Village residents on February 22, March 21, and April 11. February 22 is completely booked.
- The next Bereavement Group will begin meeting January 25.
Santa Ride & Party Evaluation
- It was a very warm December day so Santa wore a red vest instead of the traditional jacket. The committee members said it looked great.
- It was also Mayor Rinker’s last ride through the Village.
- There were a lot of residents outside waiting, probably due to the weather, so Santa was approximately an hour late getting to the Community room for the party.
- Meg said the Girl Scouts had approximately four girls singing Christmas songs before Santa arrived. The committee members agreed that it was nice to have them and would like to continue each year.
- Meg said that Kate was out of town and unable to attend the meeting but she had a suggestion that she asked Meg to share. Kate suggested having two Santa Clauses; one for the ride and one for the party. Dave said it would not bother him but it might be odd for the kids. The committee agreed that kids at the party might wonder where the fire truck is or why he didn’t look the same as the Santa that visited by their house.
- Laura suggested starting the party a half hour later. The committee members agreed that was a great idea. They also said the Santa Ride could probably start a half hour earlier. Dave also suggested a Santa tracker, possibly via Twitter. The committee members agreed that this could be discussed prior to the 2016 ride and party.
- Meg said overall the party went well. The committee members agreed.
Field Rental Fees
- Sean said that everything is set for the 2016 season. The all day rate for the softball fields will be $150 per field. If they need lights, drying agent, etc then there will be additional fees charged.
Parkview Pool 2016 Fees
- Bill said that Parkview Pool was built for the Mayfield Village residents after they said they wanted a pool here. He said the residents pay taxes already. Bill would like to see small increases in the rates each year rather than big increases every few years. He asked everyone to approve the recommendations from last meeting (attached).
- Everyone agreed on the recommended fees for Mayfield Village residents and Progressive employees.
- The committee agreed on the fees for Mayfield School District residents but suggested to take off Master Swimmer since Dave and Meg said that is hardly ever utilized. The committee also agreed to charge Non School District Families (if they have a child attending St. Francis, St. Paschal or Gilmour) $345 instead of the proposed $330. Danielle said that the price was already high and at some point in time it’s going to be too much if it keeps increasing. Tom said that the $345 is an even percentage increase (8%) compared to the rest of the categories. The committee members agreed and said their increase should be proportionate as well.
- The committee members agreed on the General Admission prices. The committee members agreed upon a Twilight General Admission Rate. It will be $5 for everyone except non school district residents which would be $10. These rates will begin at 6:00 p.m. during the week and 5:00 p.m. on the weekends.
- Bill passed out a flyer for an event that will be held at Wildcat Sport & Fitness on Superbowl Sunday. He asked everyone to spread the word. The committee members agreed that it is a great facility for a fabulous price of membership. Bill said membership increased by 1,000 from 2014 to 2015.
- Bill also passed out a flyer for Dodgeball/DJ/Pool Party event on Friday, January 22 at Wildcat Sport & Fitness. It is for Mayfield Middle School students. Pam suggested that in the future, Bill contact the middle school and see if they can email program specific information to parents. She said they do it for other programs and it would reach more parents. Bill thanked Pam for reminding him about this.
- Peggy asked what would be done this season about donated pool passes. Danielle said she does one per school and she will give pool staff a list of each donation so they know what to expect. Peggy said she knows that people have copied them in the past. Meg and Dave said that they staple the donation to the form that the person fills out; they will only allow one per school based upon the list Danielle will give them. Laura also suggested numbering them to prevent fraud.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 7:00 p.m. at the Civic Center