Rec Board - February 17th 2016
Mayfield Village Parks and Recreation Board Meeting
Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 7:00 p.m.
Mayfield Village Civic Center
Attending: Pat Andrzejczyk, Stivo DiFranco, Aaron Caunter, Steve Jerome, Derek McDowell, Mary Murphy, Laura Prcela, Pam Schutt, Meg Stifler, Kate Sullivan, Bill Thomas and Danielle Echt.
Introduction: Kate called the meeting to order at 7:04 p.m. Stivo made a motion to approve the January 20, 2016 Minutes as written and Meg seconded. All committee members agreed. Danielle circulated a volunteer sign-up sheet for the holiday parties that the Recreation Board coordinates.
Senior Program Updates
- The next CPA Lunch n’ Movie is Wednesday, March 9—“The Martian.” The menu is French Toast with Turkey Sausage.
- The March foot clinics will be on Fridays the 11th and 25th.
- Volunteers from AARP will be preparing tax returns for Village residents on February 22, March 21, and April 11. February 22 and March 21 are completely booked.
- The Bereavement Group began meeting January 25.
- A Valentine Party for the Card Group was held February 9. This was their annual party.
- There will be a Lunch n’ Learn on Wednesday, March 30 sponsored by Kindred. The program is on Music and Fashion through the Ages. Reservations are due to MV Senior Services by March 23.
Easter Party Planning (Saturday, March 19, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.)
- Bill said he will talk to Principal Kate Rateno at Center School to see if we can deliver hard copies of the flyer there.
- Meg asked the status of the magician. Danielle said contact has been made with Luke Kerver and he will do the magic show this year.
- Danielle said she has booked the same balloon twister as last year. She said that notes from last party had someone suggesting two balloon twisters since the line always moves so slow. Kate suggested seeing if the balloon twister can bring pre made balloons for some kids to choose. Not everyone wants to wait in line or watch the balloon art being made so they could just take a flower, sword, etc. from the pre-made table. The committee members agreed and Danielle said she would follow up.
- Danielle said she and Meg have coordinated ordering crafts and supplies.
- Bill said we could have the egg hunt on the pavement in the Center School parking lot. Danielle said in one of the past meetings we talked about using a grassy area by Center School. Bill said behind the school by the soccer fields would be too far of a walk. The committee members suggested using the grass near the main entrance to Center School. Bill said we can wait and see what the weather is like that day. He said he will block off part of the parking lot because there is Indoor Floor Hockey there. Meg said we always adjust as needed so it shouldn’t be a problem.
- Meg said she will be decorating the Community Room that Friday and volunteers are always welcome. Danielle said last year Sandra Bean and a group of students from Mayfield Middle School helped so she will follow up with them. Danielle will email the Recreation Board and see who else would be available to help.
Debbie Hudacko Scholarship Interviews
- Bill asked for three Recreation Board Members to run the interviews of Wednesday, April 13 at 7:00 p.m. Kate, Mary and Laura volunteered.
- Laura asked if there are certain questions to be asked. Bill said we have a packet to give all interviewers and it includes questions. Danielle said that the Recreation Department has not supplied questions in a number of years. Bill said we could put something together for this year. Kate said she had something she could give Laura as well.
- Bill said that the committee could award $1,000 total to one or more of the Mayfield High School seniors. One 8th grade St. Francis student will receive $500; St. Francis will give us the name of that student.
- Stivo said one year the amount for the high school was $1,500. Bill said things depend upon race revenue and what is in the coffer.
- Bill said that the recreation department has reconfigured the summer camp so it is no longer Sports `n More Camp. He asked Danielle to talk about it. A flyer was distributed and reviewed. Danielle said that there is a new director who is a substitute teacher currently at Millridge. She said the camp is now 8 weeks, instead of five weeks, and we have it broken up into two week sessions. The price of the new camp is a bit cheaper than what Sports `n More Camp was. Danielle said the camp will be held outdoors at the new softball field pavilion. Bill added that it is walking distance to the pool, the ball fields and even the Metroparks. Meg asked where pickup and drop off would be. Bill said the pool parking lot. Meg said that she is concerned about that on a hot day when the pool is crowded. Bill said if it doesn’t work then it can be moved over to the gravel softball parking lot. The committee members felt that the pool parking lot would be too crowded and advised just using the gravel softball lot from the start. Bill said there was concern about the distance from there to the pavilion. The committee members suggested having counselors walk campers down the path and wait at the edge of the softball fields. They said a tent could be set up for shade and a picnic table could be used. Laura said when her kids were younger, the high price of Sports `n More was an issue for her. She said with the lower fees now, plus the two sessions and offering before and after camp care, it sounds more appealing to families. Danielle said the hope is that the sessions help families now in terms of flexibility and their summer vacations. The committee members agreed that they like the format of the new Mayfield Village Summer Camp. Mary added that it’s really nice that this new pavilion supports the summer camp.
- Mary said that someone asked why there isn’t a universal pool pass for all the Mayfield School District community pools. Danielle said they are different communities and Kate said there is a different tax base. Danielle said that every community has their own revenue and Meg said not every community uses the same registration/pass system either. Pam asked why she can use her Wildcat Sport & Fitness ID card at Parkview and vice versa. Meg said because both facilities use the same software and all the information is part of one database.
- Bill reported that The Grove programming is almost complete for the 2016 season. The committee is working on purchasing a permanent shell for the stage in 2017 hopefully.
- Bill reminded the committee that there is a Kiwanis pancake breakfast at Mayfield High School on Sunday, February 21.
- Pat and Kate were sworn into the Recreation Board Committee by Councilman Steve Jerome. Danielle said she would get Laura, Aaron and Patti an oath at the next meeting.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 7:00 p.m. at the Civic Center