Rec Board - January 15th 2014
Mayfield Village Parks & Recreation Board Meeting
Wednesday, January 15, 2014
Attending: Pat Andrzejczyk, Stivo DiFranco, Peggy Kerver, Troy Koch, Tom Marrie, Mary Murphy, Dave Perout, Meg Stifler, Lori Sperling, Kate Sullivan, Sean Supler, Bill Thomas and Danielle Echt.
Introduction: Kate called the called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. She asked for approval of the November 13, 2013 Minutes as written. Tommy approved and Meg seconded. All in attendance approved. Sign up sheets for volunteers for the 2014 recreation parties/events were passed around.
Senior Program Updates
- Approximately 60 people attended the Holiday Party for Village seniors on December 20.
- The next Lunch n’ Movie is February 12. The movie is “The Last King of Scotland” and reservations are due by February 5. Menu is sloppy joes on crusty roll, chopped salad and dessert.
- The next Foot Clinic is February 14.
Christmas Party/Santa Ride Evaluation
- The committee agreed that everything went well for the ride and party.
- This year a local brownie troop sang some carols before in the community room before Santa arrived. They did a nice job and the committee agreed it would be fine if they wanted to do it again in 2014.
- Danielle purchased additional decorations so those were added and looked nice.
- The Community Room may not available for the Santa Party in 2015 due to reconstruction of the building.
Parkview Pool Fees
- The committee agreed not to raise prices in 2014 but will evaluate post season and look at adjusting for 2015.
- Mary asked why the fireworks are before Fourth of July. Bill said Mayfield Village always does them the Saturday before the Fourth. He said they are also cheaper that way.
- Meg reminded everyone that the ceremony for being sworn in on the committees is on Tuesday.
- Bill said the teen dodgeball and pool party event is Thursday, January 23 at Wildcat Sport & Fitness at 7:00 p.m. He said volunteers are always welcome.
- A few committee members said they have enjoyed sledding at The Grove. He said next winter it might be nice to schedule a winter event there.
Soccer Field Restrooms/Pavilion
- Bill said the soccer field restrooms look great and Progressive is working on the pavilion and landscaping. Tom said that Mayfield Village is handling the contracting of it but Progressive is repaying the Village.
- Bill said there will be no pavilion rentals there. Tom said it is for the people using the fields. Bill said Progressive might use it sometimes for a lunch outing but it will be coordinated with the Recreation Department to make sure there aren’t groups at the field.
- Bill said Sean suggested putting up a sign saying the facility is not available for reservations. Kate said the Metroparks has a sign like that at their pavilions and suggested we use similar verbiage. The committee thought this was a great idea.
- Dave asked if we would have to give out bathroom keys to groups using the fields. Danielle said she thought they were going to leave the restrooms open but she wasn’t sure. Kate said she thought it would be best to give a key to the police department or leave them open. The committee members agreed that giving keys out would be a lot to keep track of. Danielle said there are a lot of groups out there using the fields. She said even for our adult leagues, Sean may not be there every night to unlock and lock them.
Wildcat Sport & Fitness
- Mary asked how many members are part of Wildcat Sport & Fitness. Bill said maybe 1,300 but he wasn’t sure.
- Kate asked if they could open up more lanes at the indoor pool during LESD practice. She said she is with her class in the shallow end on Thursday nights, there are nearly 50 LESD kids practicing, jammed into the lanes while the other two lanes are left open for members to use. She said there are maybe two people using those lanes and it would be nice to open it up more to the swim team so they aren’t as crowded. Danielle said that the aquatics manager has bather loads which basically show how many swimmers there are each hour. Kate said she thought that many of the LESD swimmers were school district residents.
- Stivo asked if non school district residents could buy passes for Wildcat Sport & Fitness. Bill said no. Meg and Danielle said they can participate in classes but they cannot buy a membership. Meg added there aren’t guest passes either. Stivo said that is somewhat limiting to residents who may want to go there with a friend or other relatives living outside the school district. Sean said that if you allow non-residents to come in on a guest pass, then students would bring their friends and we would wind up how it was previously with all the problems the facility had in the past. It would be a free for all. Meg suggested maybe there could be a guest pass for the pool. Sean said that would most likely create a problem too because once people get past the main doors, they could go anywhere after that.
- Lori asked if staff checks the other entrances to the facility. Sean said yes they do. He also said that people there know who the members are so if they see someone they don’t recognize, staff looks into it.
- Mary said the women’s restroom off the track needs work; there is stainless steel that doesn’t look good. Danielle said it is old. Bill said he will be meeting with the school for capital improvements. He said the priority is the locker rooms, they need major renovations.
- Mary said the staff upstairs and downstairs are really nice.
- Bill said we are constantly working on issues there. The senior programs are going well, we started a 3 – 5 year old basketball program in the mornings, but there are other programs we had to cancel. He said it takes time.
- Mary suggested more bikes in the cardio area. Mary asked if kids are allowed on the track. She said there was a family there and the parents were in the cardio area and the kids were on the track. Danielle said they are allowed on the track by themselves if they are 13 and older, under that they have to be within arms reach. They cannot be in the cardio area/on equipment unless they are 15 and older and have taken the orientation course.
Next Meeting: NEW DATE and LOCATION: Wednesday, February 12, 7:00 p.m. at Wildcat Sport & Fitness
Danielle M. Echt,
Assistant Recreation Director