Rec Board - April 17th 2013
Mayfield Village Parks & Recreation Board Meeting
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
7:00 p.m. - Civic Center
Attending: Pat Andrzejczyk, Paula Conte, Stivo DiFranco, Troy Koch, Dave Perout, Lori Sperling, Kate Sullivan, Mary Murphy, Meg Stifler, Bill Thomas and Danielle Echt.
Introduction: Kate called the meeting to order at approximately 7:00 p.m. She asked for approval of the March 20, 2013 Minutes as written. Meg approved and Mary seconded. All in attendance approved. Special event volunteer sheets were passed around. Anyone interested in volunteering can contact Danielle.
Senior Program Updates
- Bill said the programs are going well and Donna is doing a great job.
- There was a trip to the Cleveland Museum of Art with 25 participants. The lunch and movie events draw a big crowd.
- A Senior Information Open House is scheduled for Friday, June 28 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Community Room. Representatives from Village departments and Cuyahoga County will be present to provide information and answer your questions about a variety of topics such as lock boxes, Code Red, building permits, fraud, and deeds.
- Kate said the committee members did a great job with this party.
- Meg said the decorating on Friday before the party went well and it only took about an hour and a half.
- Danielle asked how the lattice worked as a backdrop for pictures. Paula said it was nice. Meg agreed and said that now they know what it looks like, they can plan to decorate around it more next year. She said they used the plush chair instead of the couch and that worked well.
- Meg asked if they ran out of donuts. Danielle said she heard that they did. Paula said she thought everyone got some and they just ran out at the end; there were no leftovers. Danielle said she will order a few more dozen next year. Paula said a few people asked if there was pizza. Danielle said there was a typo on the flyer but she corrected it at the last minute. Everything should just say refreshments for next year’s marketing.
- Kate said she was listening to people talking and she kept hearing an issue about the balloon clown. The line was very long and if people stood in line, they were missing the party. Meg said that Rick had to start his show earlier this year too and that didn’t help. Kate said it seemed like most people just wanted the end product, they didn’t necessarily want to see him make the balloon art. She said maybe next year the clown can bring some finished products and kids can pick the one they want. Paula said that it wasn’t a bad idea but she thought the kids probably enjoy watching the clown create the item as well. Meg said he did an awesome job but it could be simplified.
- Danielle said there were approximately 62 kids attending. Meg said that was typical for the party.
- Meg said the committee previously discussed alternating Rick Smith Jr. each year. Paula said that the kids really like watching his show. Bill said with regards to the budget, it is not a problem to have him each year.
- Meg asked how the craft went. Lori said it was fine.
- Bill said they are working on the area near the gazebo so the egg hunt should be able to be there next year.
- Pat said that there needs to be extra bags on hand next year for kids who forget a basket or bag.
- Paula suggested putting the donut holes in a baggie next year so they don’t spill. Lori said a little cup would work too.
- Bill said that there was one leftover prize and someone claimed it nearly a month later. Danielle said it was being held in the office and it would have been used next year if nobody claimed it.
- Meg said Yildiz did a great job again as the bunny. The committee members agreed and everyone said thank you.
Debbie Hudacko Scholarship Update
- Ten students applied. Kate, Lori and Mary narrowed it down to six students to interview.
- Lori asked what type of questions should they ask. Bill asked if Danielle gave her a sample list of questions. Danielle said they haven’t used those in years. Kate and Mary said those were old questions and they are not needed anymore. Kate said we just talk to them for a few minutes so they relax and we ask them about their selves, their activities and see if they know anything about Debbie Hudacko.
- Bill reminded the interview committee to let Danielle know who the winners are.
- Mary asked about the status of the scholarship fund. Bill said he is hoping for $2,000 this year with sponsors and registrations. He is hoping participant numbers will increase with the new format.
- Bill said this is the last meeting until September.
- Mary asked about the restroom projects. Bill said they will be doing the soccer field one first.
- Bill said that the Poured-In-Place at Parkview Playground and the turtle area at the pool has been resealed. The new Aquaseal was installed by the water toys at Parkview Pool. The pool should be painted the week of May 1st. Bill said there were some leaks in the main water heater for the main building. He said plumbers are trying to fix it. If they can’t fix it, the range is $5,000-$6,000 for a new one.
- Mary said new committee members are always welcome. Lori said she might know someone who might be interested.
- Meg reminded the committee members that the library grand opening is Saturday, April 20th. She said she drove into the parking lot the other day and the parking lot seems small. Pat said there wasn’t much at the high school location either. Dave said people can park at the pool and take the path over. Bill said that for the grand opening they will be shuttling people back and forth from the pool lot.
- Bill said he will be combining the Fall and Winter Parks and Recreation Brochure into one and it will also have information for Mayfield Heights, Highland Heights and Gates Mills.
- The meeting concluded at 7:33 p.m.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 7:00 p.m. at the Civic Center
Danielle M. Echt,
Assistant Recreation Director